As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fantasy RTS games? (Not Warcraft/BFME)

2»

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it's do-able on XP and Vista from what I've seen. You can't run hardware acceleration but that doesn't have any effect on the gameplay. Honestly I don't think hardware acceleration would make much difference graphically.

But yeah, it's ironic that the DOS game in the pack, Syndicate Wars, runs more dependably.

Still, it's a good game, and besides a simple annoying flicker with an easy workaround I haven't really had any problems. If you run 64bit I don't know if it'll run at all though.

Drake on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I haven't been able to make it run on my last 3 or 4 systems, none of which were 64bit. I know a few people that can, and a few that can't, so it seems to be a bit of a gamble. I'd still advice the OP to pick it up if he sees a cheap copy, it's a really good game.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    The Lord of the Rings RTS games are actually pretty good.

Forget those. Instead, check this out:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=89357

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    horzahorza Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did anybody else play the "Harvest of Souls" mod for the original Neverwinter Nights?

The best fantasy RTS I ever played, and it was basically a one-man show writing it. Playing an aspiring God you competed with your rivals to harvest souls for victory. Team options were undead, spiders (plus drow natch), orcs/ogres/giants, and dwarves. All sorts of options for multiplayer, and a reasonable AI to compete/coop against. Just great fun.

horza on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brutal Legend will be 20 at Best Buy with a Rewards coupon.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Gizor DelsoGizor Delso Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    well, if we're talking about pc rts games here i would definately go with dawn of war, supreme commander, or sins of a solar empire (I know they're not fantasy but there arent many fantasy rts games for the pc that I actually liked other than warcraft 2, lol perfect balancing, why not make every unit identical XD)

Gizor Delso on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm curious, maybe I glanced over an important post but...

..why has nobody mentioned warcraft? It pretty much defines exactly what this guy was looking for.

EDIT: NM, I'm an idiot.

Sipex on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rise of Legends is fantastic. Ancient Astronaut Aztecs, Steampunk Italians, and the Arabian Nights. I was really disappointed they never made a sequel or even an expansion to that game.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Warhammer: Dark Omen is a really fun, older fantasy RTS. It features billboarded sprites on three dimensional terrain. It's Warhammer, if you go in without a plan you will get raped in the face by Nurgle. No base building either, and it's a unit based command system. The interface is a blast and one of the things that makes this game so much fun. Commanding the battle field is a fluid and intense experience. This seems to be what NamcoBandai was going for with Mark of Chaos, but it's not horrible like Mark of Chaos. It's actually a lot of fun.

Management comes in the form of hiring new troops for your mercenary army. The battlefield can be looted every once in a while too. There is multiplayer, workable over Hamachi according to a fan site. Build an Army. Kill each other. If you can find one of the other seven people who still play this.

If you are interested, there is a seller at Amazon who offers it and Syndicate Wars (which is a whole other topic of awesome, DOSbox required) in an EA double pack for about ten bucks. New and factory sealed. It's a freakin' awesome deal for just one of those games.

Can you link the seller or the page where you saw this deal? I always wanted to play Dark Omen, but never could find it. Game looks awesome. I really just wish they made a Warhammer Simulator so you could WHFB without having to spend a shit ton of money on models. I realize its in their economic interest not to, but it would pretty cool to actually get the codex for an army and then try out a variety of different army compositions before actually buying something for the table top.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've seen Dark Omen on various abandonware sites and such, but I'm not going to link to anything like that since I haven't looked at it in detail, so googler beware, etc.

I went and dug out my old cd, and despite having had no luck on my last few systems, this one actually runs it decently, with just some minor flickering on occasion. I think I'll have to play through it again.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here's the Amazon Seller for that EA Double Pack, Netdealz. It'll be the first one under New (right under the overpriced featured seller). 9.95 plus Shipping and Handling.

And while not fantasy (unless being a criminal overlord in a cyberpunk future is your fantasy), Syndicate Wars has been totally awesome too. Just get ready for DOSbox on that one (which is fairly simple, anyway).

Drake on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks! Will order this after work!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nathrak wrote: »
    Warlords Battlecry 3 fits and I thought it was pretty good. World map campaign that lets you choose where to go and you can customize your hero pretty well.

This series is a favorite of mine. You get tons of races (16 altogether), which range from the usual humans/elves/dwarves through things like the Plaguelords and the siege-heavy Chaos Dwarves. You also create a persistent hero character, who can be any race and any of 28 classes. The hero advances through every game mode, so you can use him during the campaign, skirmishes and multiplayer.

The hero classes are a nice mix of options also. You get the standard warriors and mages, but there are also support classes if that's your thing. Be a Merchant and you can't fight worth a damn, but you can hire lots of cheap units to do that for you. Be a Tinker and your buildings will be tougher and cheaper to build. Or just be a Pyromancer and burn everything down.

As Nathrak said, the campaign is based around a Risk-style map (sort of like Dawn of War), and provides a nice mix of standard battles and more unusual set-ups. One fight I remember has your hero, alone, fighting against 3 other enemy heroes to win the loyalty of a barbarian tribe. Sometimes you'll be ambushed and you'll be attacked along a road by missle units on ridges beside you.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Battlecry 3 is indeed awesome. So much replayability.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    King Arthur, its like a mod for medieval total war but good!

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys made my nipple hard for Warlords, it's such a thrill to find a badass game that you've never heard before. I have a good feeling that I won't be disappointed if it's as similar to DoW as I imagine it to be.

Is the computer AI competent?

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    You guys made my nipple hard for Warlords, it's such a thrill to find a badass game that you've never heard before. I have a good feeling that I won't be disappointed if it's as similar to DoW as I imagine it to be.

Is the computer AI competent?

It's an old SSG game. Roger Keating worked on it. You can bet the AI will put up a good fight

Drake on
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really disliked Battle for middle-earth 2.

Is Warlords battlecry 3 of Kohan 2 worth it?

Kroyd_Krenson on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really disliked Battle for middle-earth 2.

Is Warlords battlecry 3 of Kohan 2 worth it?

I played Warlords Battlecry 1 and Kohan 1.

Warlords Battlecry is a standard RTS with heroes, spells, units. It was good and the 3rd is probably even better.

Kohan is different. It's best described as a real time turn based game. Heroes are huge, everything is focused on several towns. You build armies made up of many different units, like you can attach rangers to any infantry to make them walk fast through forests, or you can attach clerics for healing etc. It's pretty good and pretty unique. I remember when I first went on Kohan multiplayer and I was completely owned.

And as mentioned twice in this thread (and once by me!) Armies of Exigo is great. It's a pure RTS that's a cross between Warcraft and Starcraft. But it's just excellent all around and loads of fun with many small innovations on the side. It feels a lot like a homage and who doesn't want more of the same good gameplay?

And Majesty (1 & 2) of course. They are so good they don't require saying.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I guess this just means I'm weird, but I liked the Warhammer: mark of chaos game. The duals were dumb, but I liked the story and the fact the Skaven are a real faction was great. Gameplay in general was also fun.

Kroyd_Krenson on
    steam_sig.png