As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Melkster those are the novice maps, those go away once you're done with your 5 tutorial games, which you can skip.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So because something cropped up that your strategy did not anticipate, that makes it dumb? I think that makes your strategy flawed.

Dhalphir on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also destructible path-blocking objects aren't dumb. L2P.

<3

EDIT: Hi5 Dhalphir

4rch3nemy on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Toons I hate you so much give me your beta

Lemming on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    n-nah

but this might m ake you feel better.

You aren't allowed to have sir in your bnet name.

REALLY

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wtf, why?

Dhalphir on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Okay, the giant rocks separating the different ground sections of the map are kind of dumb. =/

I rushed with marines hoping to catch this guy off-guard--and turns out there's a giant rock impeding my progress. Meanwhile, the other guy goes with those jump-pack guys who can just rocket over cliffs and decimates my base.
    ...did you play SC1 at all? No offense because I suck pretty bad and I know that would be frustrating but it really is not anything new and you have to be ready for it.

I have no idea why I am not in this beta, I am in Korea and I signed up for it...what gives?

Fizban140 on
    edited February 2010
    Actually it is new to SC2 as far as I know.

But still, regardless of whether its new or not, just because something inconveniences your strategy doesn't make it dumb. Adapt your strategy to the environment.

Dhalphir on
    edited February 2010
    Well the iccup maps had destroyable terrain blocks like that, but I guess most people didnt play that anyways. Also cliffs were always in the game and so were ramps to defend, same thing really.

Fizban140 on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »

But still, regardless of whether its new or not, just because something inconveniences your strategy doesn't make it dumb. Adapt your strategy to the environment.

Destructible terrain is in SC1, just was never implemented by Blizzard map makers. It's quite commonly used in the Korean pro scene.

It makes maps a bit more interesting since the map dynamics can change as the game progresses and people open up new pathways. Keeps you scouting properly and watching key points in the map with Overlords or Observers etc.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    I'll speak for those who are too poor/live too much in Washington to get to Blizzcon but still got a key.

I got the email as described above...so I think its a little of everyone getting invites.

That makes me very sad. For me, not for you. I'm... happy... for you. And full of nonspecific angst and rage. :)

zilo on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder how many people are angry they haven't gotten a SC2 beta invite but didn't run the app on their computer that checks their specs or people who did and their computer is less than the minimum specs.

Opty on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I installed a copy of the beta that I got off a torrent, and with my current specs:

P4 3.0 ghz
    2 GB RAM
    Radeon HD 3850

the game's graphical default options are all set to high, with the exception of some shaders turned to medium and reflections turned off. This seems like good news to me.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are angry they haven't gotten a SC2 beta invite but didn't run the app on their computer that checks their specs or people who did and their computer is less than the minimum specs.

i ran the app months ago and i have more than the min specs and still didn't get in the beta :cry:

Guek on
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

Destructible terrain is in SC1, just was never implemented by Blizzard map makers. It's quite commonly used in the Korean pro scene.

It makes maps a bit more interesting since the map dynamics can change as the game progresses and people open up new pathways. Keeps you scouting properly and watching key points in the map with Overlords or Observers etc.
    Dangerisk knows too much Starcraft, I think he might be Korean.

Fizban140 on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I installed a copy of the beta that I got off a torrent, and with my current specs:

P4 3.0 ghz
    2 GB RAM
    Radeon HD 3850

the game's graphical default options are all set to high, with the exception of some shaders turned to medium and reflections turned off. This seems like good news to me.

the 3850, even though it's aged, it still a badass little card... I have it as well and i'm able to pretty much play most anything new with "high" options still

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Opty wrote: »

Yeah, this was me. I was sitting around wondering if I got into beta only to find that I had never run the opt-in app. Which was weird, because I "remember" opting in the first day it was available. Whoops.

I run SP2 anyway, so I guess I wouldn't get in regardless. Upgrade tyme?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So people in the EU can't friend/play with people in the USA. what the hell

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • edited August 2011
    -

Push Button / Receive Cat on
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, so jealous. Why is there so little info from beta? No one is really talking about it who is playing it...guess they are too busy playing.

Fizban140 on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

Gotcha.

It was just that I totally didn't expect it -- and that one of the Terran early Barracks units can bypass them completely.

Had they not been there, I would have destroyed my opponent (I had like twice the number of marines as he did those rocketpack guys.)

Now I know. :P

Edit: and yeah, I only played a little bit of StarCraft originally. Played MP with friends probably less than 50 times, and played through the Zerg and Terran campaigns. (In the original)

Melkster on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I ran the Fileshack download overnight. Anyone know how to install it?

Lucascraft on
  • YranYran Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I actually have below the minimum specs, but got the beta invite. Despite my CPU being trash, I can still run the game at max everything in 1920x1080.

Yran on
    630847-1.png?1294970711
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Someone who's in the beta needs to annoy all the units (click on them a lot) and report what they say posthaste.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone with alot of blizzard games on their account gotten the beta by opt in?

I have a theory that they choose mainly people who do not have many blizzard games, to try to get you interested and want to buy it, rather than people who have alot/all their games, because who gives a shit about you, you are gonna buy it no matter what.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
    edited February 2010
    My friend owns everything and he got in.

Lucascraft on
  • alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have exactly one game on my battle.net account and I didn't get an invite so...

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So uh, how 'bout the game music? Is the Terran stuff as rockin' as it was in the first game? <_<

Henroid on
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    So uh, how 'bout the game music? Is the Terran stuff as rockin' as it was in the first game? <_<

I like the music so far and I remember hearing a nice piece of music with a guitar in the Giant Bomb broadcast.

sumwar on
    edited February 2010
    Is there a way to stop the matchmaking process once it is started? My friend reports to me that he's been sitting on the screen for over 15 minutes with nothing happening. He says its just sitting there with "waiting" on the orange button and he can't really do anything except look at his profile.

Lucascraft on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone with alot of blizzard games on their account gotten the beta by opt in?

I have a theory that they choose mainly people who do not have many blizzard games, to try to get you interested and want to buy it, rather than people who have alot/all their games, because who gives a shit about you, you are gonna buy it no matter what.

Yea because having people who have no knowledge of your rts games or how they work do testing for you is clearly the way to go. I mean sure I want the beta more to play the game now too, but it's really not (supposed to be) why they have people playing it.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    sumwar wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

I like the music so far and I remember hearing a nice piece of music with a guitar in the Giant Bomb broadcast.

Be thar Youtubes (focused on the music; I imagine gameplay videos are out the wazoo)?

Henroid on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    davincie wrote: »

That's dumb. Blizzard is the only developer that does that for games that aren't MMOs. At least the older games let you play on the servers for other regions.

Peewi on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I watched the 4 Battle reports on YouTube last night.

I'm so excited for this game.

Even if those videos made me realize how awful I am.

Two things I noted in those videos is that it appears your workers don't count towards your population count. And the second one is that in the first 3 videos, the production window was in the green wireframe style, but in the 4th video, it was full color images. So they were using a later build for the 4th video.

JustinSane07 on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    davincie wrote: »

That's dumb. Blizzard is the only developer that does that for games that aren't MMOs. At least the older games let you play on the servers for other regions.

What. Not even a private match? That seems insane.

Hockey Johnston on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can't wait to find out that the spec tool reporting I have 0.999GB RAM is what kept me out of the beta.

*Crosses fat nerdy fingers*

Monsty on
    edited February 2010
    http://www.justin.tv/valken123 720p steaming aparently, :( stupid work.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    aw, my videocard doesn't pass the min req-s. oh well
    also there are no chat channels in sc2

Fuga on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had a dream that I got an invite last night. What the hell is wrong with me? I don't even like RTS games and I have no intention of buying it, yet I want a beta invite ferociously.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    aw, my videocard doesn't mass the min req-s. oh well
    also there are no chat channels in sc2

Isn't the min spec video card one that came out in like 2003??

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.