As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

• MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The zerg structures are pulsating piles of awesome. This shit looks suh-lick.

Monsty on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arkan wrote: »
    Someone who's in the beta needs to annoy all the units (click on them a lot) and report what they say posthaste.

Anyone? Got BoTP'd, dunno if anyone saw.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Garhghghhhghhhhh. Two of my friends got in. One of them has a crappy computer and can barely run the thing, he says it's basically unplayable. The other one doesn't really play much multi player Starcraft and is more interested in the actual release for single player. Garhahghghhhhhgrghrgrgrg.

GogoKodo on
    edited February 2010
    I watched the 4 Battle reports on YouTube last night.

I'm so excited for this game.

Even if those videos made me realize how awful I am.

Two things I noted in those videos is that it appears your workers don't count towards your population count. And the second one is that in the first 3 videos, the production window was in the green wireframe style, but in the 4th video, it was full color images. So they were using a later build for the 4th video.

Workers do indeed count towards population. Perhaps the casters were using a setting in the replay to show only "army" population, not sure about that.

GogoKodo on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, balls. I didn't get in.

Maybe next round.

I kind of thought using my Macbook to report system specs would increase my chances, but maybe they don't want people with shitty graphics hardware until more bugs are worked out.

Monoxide on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So many videos of this around already

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well seeing as there is no mac version of the beta i'd say that drastically reduces your chances.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Beta players, give me your names for the op. Refresher. Also I updated it with beta info.

Topia on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Garhghghhhghhhhh. Two of my friends got in. One of them has a crappy computer and can barely run the thing, he says it's basically unplayable. The other one doesn't really play much multi player Starcraft and is more interested in the actual release for single player. Garhahghghhhhhgrghrgrgrg.

God I know. I was watching a stream of someone who was just completely terrible and they got rolled and then quit. He is in the beta and I am not.

saaaadnessss

Lemming on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone up for a match? Preferably non-rushy, I want to have time to learn the new stuff. Seems like everyone is playing for wins already =(

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    But you can only learn how to defend against rushes by defending rushes! That is how you learn the new stuff. Learning the game without rushes doesn't actually teach you how to play the game, because the dynamic of preparing for a possible rush is such a huge part of the game.

Lemming on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    add me from op

don't listen to lemming, he doesn't even have the beta

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If I get into the beta the first thing I'm going to do is zerg rush someone.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited February 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    Anyone up for a match? Preferably non-rushy, I want to have time to learn the new stuff. Seems like everyone is playing for wins already =(

whats your game name?

Topia on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    From everything I have seen about this game, it appears that Blizzard has brilliantly recaptured the feel of the original, while at the same time delivering a different experience with new units and abilities.

But I gotta wonder, is recapturing the feel of an 11 year old game really a good thing? I can't help but feel like certain innovations to the genre are missing. Where's the cover system like in Relic's games? Where's the tactical zoom like in Supreme Commander? Where's the unit formations?

I'm not really complaining here, because I haven't played it for myself yet. I'm just postulating based on what I've seen in the battle reports and live streams.

It just seems like this game might not be good for the RTS genre as a whole, simply because its basically a shiny new game engine for 11 year old game mechanics.

Lucascraft on
    edited February 2010
    Peff wrote: »

Play against some computers? I think you can do that, I believe I saw someone do it on a stream. Once you win you can select to continue playing which will give you as much time as you want to build things and see how they work.

GogoKodo on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    From everything I have seen about this game, it appears that Blizzard has brilliantly recaptured the feel of the original, while at the same time delivering a different experience with new units and abilities.

But I gotta wonder, is recapturing the feel of an 11 year old game really a good thing? I can't help but feel like certain innovations to the genre are missing. Where's the cover system like in Relic's games? Where's the tactical zoom like in Supreme Commander? Where's the unit formations?

I'm not really complaining here, because I haven't played it for myself yet. I'm just postulating based on what I've seen in the battle reports and live streams.

It just seems like this game might not be good for the RTS genre as a whole, simply because its basically a shiny new game engine for 11 year old game mechanics.

Blizzard made the game they wanted to with this. They knew that they couldn't change it too much or risk upsetting the userbase. If you're looking for new ways to do an RTS, this is probably not the place to look :P

It is an RTSers RTS. I heard the giant bomb guys liken it to Street Fighter 4 and I'm inclined to agree somewhat. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it changes just enough to keep things interesting from the previous game.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited February 2010

Complex mechanics like the relic games makes a game where units don't even behave the way you want half of the time. Too much shit handled by crappy ai.

Or maybe it's just that Relic as a dev is completely incapable of making a polished game.

Fireflash on
    edited February 2010

Clearly blizzard thinks their game will cut the mustard without silly gimmicks.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited February 2010
    I'm more trying to learn what units do what and such in a friendly environment. Apparently you have to upgrade your overlords to be detectors...being yelled at for such was unpleasant in my second ever match.

Name is Peff on bnet. peff.peff if you need both parts.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nope, CoH is ballin as hell.

And DoW2 is slightly less ballin mp wise, but oodles more ballin singleplayer/co-op.

Wonder if the sp in sc2 took anything from DoW2, be kind of silly not to.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010
    add me from op

don't listen to lemming, he doesn't even have the beta

Invite sent

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And DoW2 is slightly less ballin mp wise, but oodles more ballin singleplayer/co-op.

SP will be different than MP, lots of unique units, every level some kind of scenario. Also I think they'll have a hero system similar to WC3, which won't be in multiplayer matches ofc.

Jutranjo on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »

Complex mechanics like the relic games makes a game where units who don't even behave the way you want half of the time. Too much shit handled by crappy ai.

Or maybe it's just that Relic as a dev is completely incapable of making a polished game.

Company of Heroes is the best RTS you can never ever play with anyone else ever.

And I mean... eh. Innovations in RTS games have been few and far between. In all this time, we've had about two games per decade that aren't close to carbon copies of the formula established by the Dune game/Command and Conquer. The mechanics are solid enough as it is. It's like Mario, sure new stuff is good but New New New Super Mario will still be fun if it basically plays like Old Super Mario.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

SP took a lot from that style (you buy unit upgrades/building upgrades between missions, etc)

I'm a little surprised that they're still rolling with the hard counter/no such thing as even light cover system, but I guess it's just to still feel like Starcraft. I just don't want them to go down the same road as C&C, where it feels like they're still cranking out the same game over and over again.

SC2 was fun the little I got to play it, but I didn't notice much more than a graphics overhaul versus the feel of playing SC1.

kildy on
    edited February 2010
    I'm kinda disappointed that SC2 isn't working with Beta keys, because that means you can't be given one, unless someone really trusts you with their account.

Topia on
    edited February 2010
    Honestly I feel that if you release a sequel you shouldn't drastically overhaul and change everything. It's a sequel; it should be in the same vein as what came before it. I don't want to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 and find out that it's a third person shooter or something; if I wanted an RTS with a whole mess of systems like cover and squads and formations and etc which starcraft had nothing to do with, then I wouldn't want them to be put in Starcraft 2... I'd just buy a different game.

Arkan on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    kildy wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised that they're still rolling with the hard counter/no such thing as even light cover system, but I guess it's just to still feel like Starcraft. I just don't want them to go down the same road as C&C, where it feels like they're still cranking out the same game over and over again.

SC2 was fun the little I got to play it, but I didn't notice much more than a graphics overhaul versus the feel of playing SC1.

This is the 1st sequal to SC, Blizzard hasn't been cranking out any games ever. Besides WoW expansions every 16 months or so.

Jutranjo on
  • Zero-ControlZero-Control Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

SO this is a whole can of worms but all the "innovations" you mentioned have degraded the genre not improved it.

Squad units such as in DOWII and I create balance issues. As your unit dies it performs less effectivley... however this is not perfectly balanced because you can have low health without all your units dying, you lose the ability to effectivley manage individual units, i.e. starcraft AND ESPECIALLY WAR3. Warcraft 3 is the gold standard in effective micromanagement of reasonably sized armies, its the difference between Risk and Chess.

Zoom as well... shouldnt matter, we are playing a fast paced tactics game, its a nice oooo ahhh feature, but gameplay should be on a standard visual with equal SA.

Zero-Control on
    (League of Legends Summoner: Zero Control)

yourzeero.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How do you know you're in the beta?

Does a magical gateway open in the middle of your account management page?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't really feel like SC2 needs a cover system or a tactical zoom

It's a different style of game to CoH and SupCom

bongi on
    edited February 2010
    Aumni wrote: »

Some people are reporting that an icon for SCII just pops up on account management; others report that you get an Email and then enter a code on account management.

I think it depends whether or not you opted in for betas or got it through another mean (like a contest or Blizzcon)

Arkan on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Courtesy of Giant Bomb
    1274034-arrows_super.jpg

Peewi on
    edited February 2010

SC2 game shows up, like so....

dMZc0.jpg

edit: beat'd so hard

Topia on
    edited February 2010

Some people are reporting that an icon for SCII just pops up on account management; others report that you get an Email and then enter a code on account management.

I think it depends whether or not you opted in for betas or got it through another mean (like a contest or Blizzcon)

Hrm, I got a little SC2 Beta thing next to my beta management shindig. That it?

If so sweet, something to look forward to after work.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited February 2010

Hrm, I got a little SC2 Beta thing next to my beta management shindig. That it?

If so sweet, something to look forward to after work.

No, that just holds your computer's settings. It'll be a big icon like for your other blizzard games (if you have any tied to the account)

Arkan on
    edited February 2010
    No if you're in the beta you'll see a SC2 "box" that's as big as your other registered games.

Fireflash on
    edited February 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    No if you're in the beta you'll see a SC2 "box" that's as big as your other registered games.

I miss 90's-esque era PC game boxes.... :(

Topia on
    edited February 2010
    Ahh ok.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Aumni on
  • LordOfTheCheeseLordOfTheCheese BF3: Scyleric Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love the music for this game, the login screen is soo amazing!

LordOfTheCheese on
This discussion has been closed.