As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 2-17-10: Red Lanterns Make Every Wednesday Ash Wednesday

2»

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Thor is going to beat the Sentry like a red-headed stepchild.
    The Void is going to give Thor a run for his money.

It will be a good fight, sure. Thor will win, he is headlining this Heroic Age thing. I hope Sentry is gone after this nonsense, he is too powerful to exist in regular stories. 616 Marvel is supposed to be more grounded than the main DCU,
    a guy more powerful than a god (who may be an aspect of God doesn't really fit.

my motw-- ordering Frankencastle and finding out Mesmo Delivery sold out. I like it when my indie books are sold out. Means I am not only the person in the city buying them.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    JLA #42 is very good. It has 40 pages of story, so the large JLA roster gets decent screentime without feeling compressed, and also has the Challengers of the Unknown, the Metal Men, AND the Power Company in it. This is the Robinson I want to read from, as it seems like this is his #1 book now, compared to other recent works, Superman included.

Shit, I may have to buy JLA. Fuckin' love the Power Company.

Also? Power Company resulted in one of my favorite classy verbal bitchslaps from one industry professional to another, when Kurt Busiek refuted something very dumb that Marc Andreyko said on the CBR forums.

Munch on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    power company are just mentioned on a page. sounds like robinson had them get pretty fucked up off-panel

i think maybe you see a couple of headshots on a computer screen

Rans on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, well screw that.

And screw TexiKen, for being a lying liar.

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Munch, dammit, I'll post the scans now, geezus.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm just funnin' you Tex.
    Dick.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know I'm Nightwing, you don't have to italicize it!

They weren't a big part of the issue, but had a few pages, like so:

jla42b.jpg

jla42c.jpg

jla42d.jpg

jla42e.jpg

And why did Busiek punch Marc Andreyko in the head for? Whatever it was I root for Busiek.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man, I love Josiah Power. Best giant gay black man in comics. Thanks for posting those.

Anyways, on the Busiek/Andreyko thing, there was a big Manhutner thread on CBR, and when Andreyko started killing off all the past Manhunters, some fans complained. Eventually the conversation turned to Kirk DePaul, the Manhunter that was a renegade clone of Paul Kirk, who was created by Busiek for Power Company. Andreyko stated that he saw that character as kind of a.. I forget the word he used, but basically he felt that having a clone of Paul Kirk running around as Manhunter was disrespectful towards Archie Goodwin and his legendary run on Manhunter.

Which would have some validity, were it not for the fact that before creating the character, Kurt Busiek wrote to Archie and asked if he could use the Manhunter name, basic costume, and clone aspect to the character's history. Mr. Goodwin obliged, only asking that the costume not be Manhunter's classic red costume. This was all outlined in the Manhunter special that preceded the launch of Power Company.

Anyways, Busiek politely informed Andreyko of this, at which point Andreyko shifted blame to editorial, saying that they were the ones who mandated he kill all the old Manhunters.

Munch on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    munch, are you buying mesmo?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Thor is going to beat the Sentry like a red-headed stepchild.
    The Void is going to give Thor a run for his money.

I agree. Kid MarvelMan is going to beat Thor up.

In all seriousness I think they are going to kill ofo Sentry, if that's what they do, the same way Kid Marvel Man got killed.

Algertman on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    power company had the haunted tank

they are instantly rad as hell because of this

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    This is the first time in a WHILE I liked an issue of GL more than GLC
    The solution to Guy's rage was a little too out of left field for me.

On the other hand, I really liked the fake out with the Spectre.

I liked it better than 'well there's a pause in the battle, grab a blue lantern and let 'em do his shit'

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I greatly enjoyed Dark Avengers #14 when Hand blasted Karla with the ray gun.

I really don't like Karla. At all.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Karla written by Bendis is not Karla. She's a skrull.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

I like Karla.

I just wish she didnt use me for sex to get back at her daddy.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I like Karla.

I just wish she didnt use me for sex to get back at her daddy.

Ya you seem real broken up about it.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Karla written by Bendis is not Karla. She's a skrull.

Ya, even Ellis was only 50% slut. Bendis went full slut. You never go full slut.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    munch, are you buying mesmo?

I plan to, but not immediately. By the by, apparently some Mesmo action figures are going to be available at some point.

There's a video on YouTube of Rafael Grampa receiving test/prototype figures, and they look pretty neat.

Munch on
  • Options
    Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    power company had the haunted tank

they are instantly rad as hell because of this

Yes. Yes.

A thousand times yes.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Incredible Hercules question
    So is Athena saying shes his mother because she lead him to be who he is or because shes actually his mother?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Athena is saying that she's his mother because she basically loves him like a son.

Solar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Of course, being a Greek deity, she's also a raging bitch, but that's pretty obvious as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Of course, being a Greek deity, she's also a raging bitch, but that's pretty obvious as well.

Or, being a Greek deity, she could also be his wife. :winky:
    Edit: I assume we're talking about Amadeus here? I haven't seen the latest ish :P

Divebommah on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Incredible Hercules question
    So is Athena saying shes his mother because she lead him to be who he is or because shes actually his mother?
    She's not literally his mother. She was saying that both his conception and pretty much all of his major life moments happened because she manipulated events to occur the way they did, so she feels as if she is his mother in a way. So, the former in other words.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When Victoria Hand was telling Osborn that Karla was engaging in unchecked aggression I couldn't help but think of The Big Lebowski.

"This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know what my moment of the week was? I finally got around to reading the Blackest Night: Weird Western Tales one-shot. DiDio may be a moron, but there's really nothing like seeing an undead Jonah Hex being all badass.

And it was nice to see Bat Lash, too... dead though he may have been.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Black Widow & Marvel Girls book has been hit and miss (mostly miss), but each issue has something neat. This week's was great at showing how deserving Mole Man is to be king of subterranea. Last issue was that Tobin seems to be the only writer who acknowledges that Ms. Marvel's powerset includes precognition.

Oh. Oh. OH MY GOD Joe The Barbarian is just excellence on top of awesome.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Know what pissed me off about Black Widow and the Marvel Girls? I bought that whole series because She-Hulk was featured on the cover of issue one, as one of the characters Widow would team up with, and then the series concludes sans She-Hulk. Pretty weak. I enjoyed the series though.

Doctor Voodoo wrapped up this week, and I'm left with mixed feelings. On the one hand, the main plot, wherein the Earth was ravaged by magic and all hell broke loose, was wrapped up and resolved a little too cleanly. It made me feel like I'd just read about a pretty good journey that never really had a destination. That's not to say nothing happened, as two of Dr. Strange's major nemeses have been taken off the table for the foreseeable future, but I found myself wishing the arc had been shorter.

I also wish the series would have been able to carry through another arc, as the first one dealt entirely with old Dr. Strange enemies. I really wanted to see how Jericho Drumm's tenure as Sorcerer Supreme would differ from Stephen Strange's, what kind of adversaries he'd have, how the job would affect his life, and so on. It's a pity it was canceled.
    35m3btc.jpg
    Don't worry. He gets better.

2vccmc6.jpg
    A hint at what Remender had planned for the future. I hope he gets to pick it up elsewhere.

Deadpool was really enjoyable this week, and I'm glad it's double-shipping this month. Kicking off the Hit-Monkey arc, I was again pretty damn amused by how Daniel Way's playing the whole thing straight. Also, Spider-Man shows up and reminds the audience how crazy dangerous and powerful he can be when he's mad, which I've enjoyed seeing ever since he beat up Firelord back in the day.
    23mpkxk.jpg
    Upon arriving in New York, Wade tries to get Spider-Man's attention by giving Robbie Robertson a flier.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on this forum still reading Astounding Wolf-Man, but let me just point out that the past two arcs have featured a werewolf in a jet-pack. Just sayin'.
    2nvwmms.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, Deadpool was really good, and I like seeing Spider-man angry and seemingly taking charge of a situation.

Kyougu on