As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seems to me that the zerg macro is at least 3 times as hard as the terrans and 4 times as hard as the toss.

In 1 they were always a little harder to keep production going, but the pace at which new additions/abilities give to toss/terran economy and production just exacerbate it.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love the music for this game, the login screen is soo amazing!

Yea it's really nice looking, now if only I can see what's behind this curtain.... :(

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    From everything I have seen about this game, it appears that Blizzard has brilliantly recaptured the feel of the original, while at the same time delivering a different experience with new units and abilities.

But I gotta wonder, is recapturing the feel of an 11 year old game really a good thing? I can't help but feel like certain innovations to the genre are missing. Where's the cover system like in Relic's games? Where's the tactical zoom like in Supreme Commander? Where's the unit formations?

I'm not really complaining here, because I haven't played it for myself yet. I'm just postulating based on what I've seen in the battle reports and live streams.

It just seems like this game might not be good for the RTS genre as a whole, simply because its basically a shiny new game engine for 11 year old game mechanics.

The thing about these shiny mechanics is that they kind of take away from some of the gameplay. SC1 had doodad and elevation cover but adding a "chance to miss" means that randomness becomes a factor, which is looked down upon in competitive games. Positioning matters even without a cover system in competitive play; so really, objects that offer cover is simply "fluff" that are either abused or ignored.

"Fluff" mechanics make for great single player games. It adds explicit depth and detail so there is more immersion. "Fluff" mechanics, however, also detract from competitive play by being either obsolete or imbalanced. This is also applied to other genres. Look at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and then look at more "competitive" first-person shooters. Kill Streaks are "fluff." Perks are "fluff." Yes, "fluff" can be more fun and exciting, but they're also not always fair. In games designed to be competitive, fairness and balanced needs to be emphasized for it to be successful and Starcraft 2 Multiplayer is very much designed to be a competitive game.

However, from what we've seen of single-player, there's going to be crazy things going on in the campaign such as rising/falling levels of molten lava. I'm pretty sure Starcraft 2 will have innovative mechanics, just not in the multiplayer, so your concerns that Starcraft 2 is bad for the RTS genre is unnecessary. I think Starcraft 2 will have the best of all worlds through Single-player, Multi-player, and Use Map Settings Custom maps.

Oh, and here's a screen for the Blizzcon 2008 Beta Invites for those who want to see it: http://i47.tinypic.com/121rd09.jpg
    I tinypic'd it because it's TALL.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    why would anyone ask if capturing the feel of amazing game regardless of its age is a bad thing

MrDelish on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ultralisks are king of the ground units.

Film at 11.

Oh Zerg, how I've missed thee.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder if authenticators have anything to do with who got in.

Ohtsam on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So... does this game actually require micro? What's going on here? Can anyone who is in beta give some insight?

I know there's auto-surrounds with Zerglings and Zealots. Kinda cheesy though, surrounding was a bit of an art in SC1.

What about macro? Looks easy :P

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    More is required but it's a lot more intuitive to the common player, it seems.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, why have no current players (who all suck, until such time as I become one of you, at which point we're all buds again) posted the transcriptions of the annoyance quotes? :D

Elvenshae on
    edited February 2010
    I feel like Zerg require a hell of a lot of micro, especially using some of the new caster units. There are a lot of really moment specific abilities.

Roaches, while simple attackers, can be dangerous if micro'd in/out/burrowed to regen. Like damn near impossible to kill.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    macro is hella easy with toss and slightly less easy with terran and harder than it was with zerg.

And micro wise, well I've only really played with zerg, and all my micro is really going into my fucking queens becuase that is literally where you spend 40% of your time, select queen, select spawn larvae, select hatchery fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

And they only have one caster.

Banelings almost make up for it though.

I'll go do terran annoyance quotes give me a few minutes.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010
    Saw a video posted in the SA thread where some guy was playing protoss, attacked a zerg, and the zerg counterattacked with roughly 500000 banelings, killed the entire attacking force, then blew up his bases.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arkan wrote: »
    Saw a video posted in the SA thread where some guy was playing protoss, attacked a zerg, and the zerg counterattacked with roughly 500000 banelings, killed the entire attacking force, then blew up his bases.

Yeah, that was the #1 gold league (top player in beta right now) versus David Kim. Kim barely attacked, but when the gold league guy pushed out, Kim countered with that

It was pretty crazy, just a river of green and explosions.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited February 2010
    Terran Annoyance quotes
    Marine:
    Who wants some?
    Been waitin on you.
    Armed and ready.
    By the numbers boys.
    This better be good.
    You gunna give me orders?
    Man, still stuck in this chickenshit outfit.
    How do you take a leak in this damn suit?
    Whatever I do they just keep bringing me back in!
    This is my C-14 Impaler Gauss Rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of... aw forget it.
    The only thing you should feel when you shoot someone is the recoil.
    You ever notice how no one ever come back to the barracks?
    Man am I being paranoid or is that medic following me!?
    This one time, at boot camp...
    Man, I gotta burp...
    Ahh-ahh-achoooo... can't see a damned thing. *wiper noises* Ah much better.
    Thank you sir may I have another!

I'll edit the quotes into the spoilers as I go this will take awhile, at least for the marine there seem to be ten.

edit: I'm recording all the audio and then will transcribe. It'll take longer to start getting stuff out but this way it'll go faster.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010
    Terran Annoyance quotes

My CC just said Starting self destruct sequence, 5, 4, 3...

But I don't know what triggered it.

I'll edit the quotes into the spoilers as I go
    <3

BFFs!

Elvenshae on
    edited February 2010
    Arkan on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Marine: "I keep ending up in this chicken-shit thing!"
    Marine: "Ever notice no one ever returns to the barracks?"
    Marine: "I may be paranoid, but I think that Medic is following me"

Timmer on
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    nevermind

iowa on
    edited February 2010
    iowa wrote: »

Yeah, that was the #1 gold league (top player in beta right now) versus David Kim. Kim barely attacked, but when the gold league guy pushed out, Kim countered with that

can anyone post the video?

look up a couple posts

Arkan on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Interesting, the upgrade to the protoss gateway which lets it warp in units anywhere there's a power field works differently than I expected, it causes the gateway to not have build time, it instantly builds units at the designated spot. Instead, there's a cooldown before it can warp in another unit, presumably as long as it would take to build the unit normally.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Interesting, the upgrade to the protoss gateway which lets it warp in units anywhere there's a power field works differently than I expected, it causes the gateway to not have build time, it instantly builds units at the designated spot. Instead, there's a cooldown before it can warp in another unit, presumably as long as it would take to build the unit normally.

Yea, thats pretty awesome. It definitely encourages copious amounts of gateways to be able to spawn like 6 stalkers/zealots/dark templar or more at once.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited February 2010
    Terran Annoyance quotes
    SCV:
    Bad News?
    What's goin on?
    Big job huh?
    Ah, you scared me!
    Go ahead.
    *fly buzzing* *slap*" Gotcha! "Self Destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2..." Uh Oh
    I can fix anything, if this dang thing holds together... *mechanical whurrls* Hear me baby, hold together.
    Hey, you got a reeeel purty mouth.
    My cousin Lester saw a zergling once.
    On the CB they call me, "big drill"
    *radio stations changning rapdily* Hey! I wanna hear some Freezerg!
    My cow died last nigth so I don't need your bull.

Marine:
    Who wants some?
    Been waitin on you.
    Armed and ready.
    By the numbers boys.
    This better be good.
    You gunna give me orders?
    Man, still stuck in this chickenshit outfit.
    How do you take a leak in this damn suit?
    Whatever I do they just keep bringing me back in!
    This is my C-14 Impaler Gauss Rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of... aw forget it.
    The only thing you should feel when you shoot someone is the recoil.
    You ever notice how no one ever come back to the barracks?
    Man am I being paranoid or is that medic following me!?
    This one time, at boot camp...
    Man, I gotta burp...
    Ahh-ahh-achoooo... can't see a damned thing. *wiper noises* Ah much better.
    Thank you sir may I have another!

Reaper:
    What, you want somethin?
    I'm listenin
    Got something for me to kill?
    What's it worth?
    Fear the reaper-man
    Death from above
    The life of the reaper-man is always intense.
    Damnit I'm out of stims
    These jets are burning my ass!
    I ain't got time to bleed
    You can't get it cheaper, call the reaper.
    I'm bring the pain, and the pizza, in 30 minutes. Or it's free.
    I make dead people
    I'm going commando
    To Tarsonis, and beyond
    I thought I was signing up to be a repo man
    This is ground control to major tom
    Ohh I like you, that's why I'm gunna kill you last.

Marauder:
    Times a wastin'
    Just say when.
    Say the word baby.
    Don't leave me hanging
    Got whole lotta' love
    Go on
    What the hell is "smithereens" anyway.
    Yeah I got all five fingers! Three on this one, two on th eother one.
    Baby you really light my fuse, *spark* whoops! *explosion* Damn! Premature detonation.
    Baby, if I could rearrange the alphabet I'd put "u" and "i" together.
    What's your sign baby? Mine's epxlosive.
    I am so sexy, I sometimes romance myself.
    Actually that is a grenade in my pants.

Ghost:
    Go
    Gimee the sitrep
    Out with it.
    You sure about that?
    Boo
    Nuculer Launch Detected
    You call down the thunder... and I'll deal with it.
    "Almost" counts in horshoes, and nuclear strikes.
    I think the female ghosts have nicer equipment.
    Did you see that?... Excatly.
    Pain don't hurt..... oahh
    Today's forecast is extra bomby, slight chance of mushroom clouds
    I see live people... *gunshots* I see dead people.
    Whenever I see a world untouched by war, a world of innocence. A world of lush forests and clear rivers... I really just want to nuke the crap out of it.
    You have sometihng on your face. *gunshot* Got it.
    I'ma paint the town... dead.
    Feelin lucky, punk?
    We all got it coming kid.
    Make my day.
    I know what you're thinking.

Hellion:
    Where's the hot action?
    I'm waitin on ya.
    Light it up.
    Talk to me boss.
    Are you ready for this?
    Like a bat outta... aw forget it
    Zerg, they're what's for dinner.
    I'm burnin up the road like a big dog in heat.
    I am speed. Ka-chow.
    Yes in fact, I do own the road.
    Off-road? Hell, I do my best work off-world.
    Suspension is an integral part of any vehicle, but this one requires suspension of disbelief. Get it?
    Woo I'm hotter than a june bug ridin bareback on a hind leg of a jackrabbit with his tail on fire.
    Got a problem with alien races? Seriously, just anticipate the terrain, you'll win every time.
    Put that in your tail pipe and smoke it.
    Ain't fallin for no banana in my tailpipe.

I'll edit the quotes into the spoilers as I go this will take awhile, at least for the marine there seem to be ten.

edit: I'm recording all the audio and then will transcribe. It'll take longer to start getting stuff out but this way it'll go faster.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010
    Marine: Been waitin on you.

Bwahahahah! Thanks. :)

Elvenshae on
    edited February 2010
    Ahahahaha holy shit those banelings

I take it they don't do splash damage to friendly units? That's crrrraaaazy!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Are there any new high quality gameplay videos, not streams?

Fuga on
    edited February 2010
    What's the thor's purpose now? I remember first it was some sort of super-unit, then it was an anti-air platform, now I don't know what it is.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    This is why turtling sucks. (screen from game I just finished)

starcraft2lol.jpg

Urian on
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://reaverxai.com/sc2audio/Music/

All the music from SC2. It is amazing. Amazing, bolded and italicized, is an understatement. The Terran music is... pure.

edit: well probably not all, but from what I understand it's all thats in the Beta.

Topia on
    edited February 2010
    It's early yet but I think this game has one of the best soundtracks to any game ever made. Top 10 for sure. I really love the protoss songs.

Urian on
  • GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Not quite the #1 ranked, they didn't know at the time but the Gold league is actually 2nd highest, there is a Platinum league above that.

GogoKodo on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thread makes me :(

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GogoKodo wrote: »

Not quite the #1 ranked, they didn't know at the time but the Gold league is actually 2nd highest, there is a Platinum league above that.

How do the leagues work? Do you relegate/delegate, or is it just, get enough wins and you're moved up to the next league?

Topia on
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drakeon wrote: »

Yea, thats pretty awesome. It definitely encourages copious amounts of gateways to be able to spawn like 6 stalkers/zealots/dark templar or more at once.

A fun thing to do is fly a warp prism in and start building units inside their base, especially on maps where doodads like steam vents create pockets of fog. I stopped missing recall after my first game.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
    edited February 2010
    yeah the warp-in + mobile pylons seems like much more fun than recall

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited February 2010
    I need to stop playing protoss because I'm not good enough at starcraft to understand how to play them well. I should stick to Terran.

Urian on
    edited February 2010
    urghh, just had a bunch more units typed. Thne accidentally hit refresh. I'll finish later.

Does anyone want a detailed thing of all the units stats? Or does something like that already exist?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    urghh, just had a bunch more units typed. Thne accidentally hit refresh. I'll finish later.

Does anyone want a detailed thing of all the units stats? Or does something like that already exist?

A detailed thing?

Like some sort of intricate bas relief that involves all of the starcraft units and their stats?

Yeah, I'd probably be interested.

mrflippy on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd definitely be interested in comprehensive unit stats (hp, dmg, speed, range, abilities, upgrade effects, and costs) as well as tech trees for every unit/race.

I'm sure this information will pop up somewhere soon enough, but I'm wet with anticipation.

Hydralisks require a Lair now.. but they're much beefier (right?). This is weird to me.

4rch3nemy on
    edited February 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    I'd definitely be interested in comprehensive unit stats (hp, dmg, speed, range, abilities, upgrade effects, and costs) as well as tech trees for every unit/race.

I'm sure this information will pop up somewhere soon enough, but I'm wet with anticipation.

Hydralisks require a Lair now.. but they're much beefier (right?). This is weird to me.

From what I've seen roaches seem to be the tier 1 ranged guys now. So I guess they bumped hydralisks up to tier 2 and gave them buffs fitting for their higher tech level.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited February 2010
    I'm still having a hard time remembering I have to morph my overlord to be detectors =(

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.