As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick Quake Question

Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
so i was thinking of picking up Quake 3 (again) the other day, but then i remembered reading that Quake 4's multiplayer was basically the same thing only prettier. so my questions are is that an accurate description of multiplayer Q4, and do a good amount of people play online? do people still play Q3?

Ah_Pook on

• Options
    EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Q4 is a lot similar to Q3's MP. It's just a tad bit slower in feel, and so forth. Even from the day it was released not a large amount of people have played Q4 online, but people still do, and still play Q3 online(Mostly with the competition mod though) So you can't really go wrong with either, they're both cheap so you can't really go wrong.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    does it still have 'The Longest Yard'?

LewieP on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's a competition mod that speeds it up.

Q4 and Q3 multiplayer feel almost exactly the same to me, so I'd say that's fair.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    People don't really play Quake3 for the pretty. They play it for the boom, lol. Some of the players are insanely skilled.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When I first picked up Q4, I noticed a lot of little differences. Now I don't remember any of them off the top of my head.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Quake 4 mostly fails in the configing department. If you don't care about that then I suppose it would be fine, but I don't see the point in playing Quake if you don't mess around with your cfg at least a lot. It's one of the main strengths of the Quake series.

There are still plenty of people playing Q3, but most of the people left are there because they really like Q3, have been playing it for a long while and are good enough to compete with those left. Most of the real nubs are gone now. If you do want to play Q3 then I'd suggest CPMA, OSP or Threewave. RA3 is generally the bottom rung of Quake and is chock full of cheaters and assholes. CPMA are mostly 1v1 or TDM, Threewave is CTF. CPMA also plays a lot more like Q1 with a little Q2 mixed in, meaning bunny hoping, double jumps, slope jumps and fast weapon switching.

If you do decide to play Q3 and also Threewave, I'd be willing to show you the ropes sometime. I still like to play that. I could show you how to play CPMA, too, but 1v1 isn't my forte.

Any way you go, good luck. Quake games are better than any other FPS around.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream