As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surround Sound Headsets?

MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
As much as I'd like a true surround sound setup for my PC, my room configuration really doesn't allow for it. Are there any quality Surround Sound headsets out there?

Metallikat on

• Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have a Speedlink Medusa, it's working out pretty well for me. Nice surround, can tweak the levels of rear, center and front. Pretty good quality and comfortable.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    IMO, unless there are leaps and bounds made in sound technology - and it seems theres haven't been any in the last 1 1/2 years, surround headsets aren't worth it and can't replicate the sound of a 'true' surround speaker setup anyway. But I am open and you can try to convince me otherwise. :)

Personally I would recommend a good stereo headset and go with whatever "virtual surround for stereo setup" mode the game / application / OS offers.

Currently I use a Seenheiser PC 350 headset. Its a great set of headphones, it is really sturdy and the microphone is excellent. Its great for listening to music and of course for playing games.

edit: fixed silly spelling mistakes

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Actually the one's i'm using are really good. They have the right amount of speakers in the headphones and films sound fantastic in them. There are also other 5.1 headphones that work really well too. The tech is out there, just no widely available.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    IMO, unless there are leaps and bounds made in sound technology - and it seems theres haven't been any in the last 1 1/2 years, surround headsets aren't worth it and can't replicate the sound of a 'true' surround speaker setup anyway. But I am open and you can try to convince me otherwise. :)

I used to think as you do--how could two speakers possibly give left/right and front/back differentiation?--but after a month and a half with my Astro A40 headset I'm finding that the surround illusion really can work. I mainly use the headset for 360 games or for blu-ray movies. With 360 games there is a precise front/back feeling. I never question whether a footstep came from my front-left or my back-left; I'm able to instantly pick out the compass direction the sound originated from.

With movies, it really does feel like I'm sitting in a room with a 5.1 surround setup. Even better, the headphones give you the impression that the sound is coming from outside the headset, not from two speakers sitting right next to my ears.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    maerdredmaerdred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm using the Tritton Technologies ax720 headset. I first looked at it because of TomsHardware's gift guide this past Christmas. It's nice because it works with the PC, 360, and PS3. It's got the Dolby Digital 5.1 Dolby Headphone Technology, ad I can tell. I use it in conjunction with Vent, and since it has USB and Optical input, I can control game and voice volume independently. I didn't really look into others so I'm not sure how pricing is, but at $130 I felt these were a good deal. I use them daily.

maerdred on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Using Tritton AXPro myself. Good stuff really.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/