As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PrePAX Gaming night at the Sheraton

atiariatiari Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
Ok, so as I mentioned in another thread I'll be arriving in Boston the 24th (wed) and looking to get some people together to play some tabletop (RPGs, CCGs, Miniatures, etc.) stuff. The lobby has a fair amount of space and tables, and I figure a fair amount of people are staying at the Sheraton or thereabouts so it would be a good place to game. I could even volunteer my room if there ends up being any issues :)

That said, lets try and settle on who would like to come, what time to start would be good, and what games would be an option for people to play.

I'll be down for like 7pm till whenever. I could bring some Magic the Gathering Decks, or purchase decks and cards of pretty much any CCG/TCG, or miniatures within a reasonable amount of money :) I can also look into picking up a board game from a FLGS if that is a better option.

So far we're looking at the following days and times:

Wednesday- 7PM till ??? (can end pretty much whenever, if we get kicked from the lobby we can move some of it to my room)

Thursday- 7PM till Midnight (6PM maybe? Leave feedback in thread)

Magic the Gathering seems to be one of the primary games of choice. There will indeed be some board games and table top games as well, so there's something for everyone!

Twitter feed is up! http://twitter.com/Atiari_Uberleak

atiari on

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd love to learn how magic works now adays, I noticed they changed quite a bit of it, and I havent played in almost 10 years.

ZeroHourHero on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's been some big changes since 10 years ago, but the biggest is a simplification of the attack step of the turn. Overall, most of the changes have made the game easier rules-wise.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd be down for this - but I'm only getting on Thursday around 7-8 :/

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm down with it, and I'm pretty sure most of my crew will be. In the meantime, I gotta tune my decks for some KILLIN!

My only request is that ravager-affinity players be beaten with sock-em-boppers.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Magic the Gathering was just one example ;)

There's tons of other options, I just mentioned one that I happen to already have. HeroClix was something else that came to mind, and can be gotten into fairly cheaply. And lets not forget that there's a slew of board games out there, which many attendees have said they are bringing as well.

If there's something you want to play, pop it up. Also, times would be good as well ;)

Thursday isn't out of the question, but I know that personally I have some dinner reservations at 7:30 and likely will not be back till 9pm or so. BUT, we could make this a running event provided there's enough interest.

atiari on
  • baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    following the magic trend (sorry atiari :P)
    I might bring a couple of decks with me. i haven't really played with them in an age, and they're not amazing. but i can probably manage a couple of games with the ninja deck or something.

i'd love to buy some more recent ones and tweak them, but i have no clue what i'd be doing with them.

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
  • GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This sounds great, I'm down. I'll be there Thursday, possibly a day or two before. Definitely will bring Magic cards, is anybody interested in Elder Dragon Highlander?

Otherwise, I'll bring Warmachine and if anybody is interested, I can bring another starter army or two.

GHoooSTS on
    edited February 2010
    baelion wrote: »
    following the magic trend (sorry atiari :P)
    I might bring a couple of decks with me. i haven't really played with them in an age, and they're not amazing. but i can probably manage a couple of games with the ninja deck or something.

i'd love to buy some more recent ones and tweak them, but i have no clue what i'd be doing with them.

I have 2 sliver decks: one built from the last time I actively played magic (Onslaught), one from the new preconstructed foil decks they rolled out recently. So I'll be running uber noob stuff XD

I hear a LOT about Warmachine...going to look into it some.

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    so is this on wednesday? i've got the prepax dinner and barcrawl on thursday.

if you want some horrible preconstructed stuff, do you have the new foil sliver deck? i have an old constructed one too, and sliver vs sliver is hilarious to play. painful but hilarious.

baelion on
    Twitter
    munkeefish.png
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think this thread got funneled down to a Magic night post ;p. But yeah, I'll be in Thursday night if you are doing it then too. Would love to walk into the hotel after a long and nearly game-less drive (I get carsick quite easily) and see tables and tables of gaming in the lobby. That would just be a great welcome to a weekend of gaming.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would be up for this if its on the Thursday night

Gentlemanne on
    edited February 2010
    I'll probably set this up for both Web and Thur, shouldn't be a major issue to do so. I know the Pre-Pax dinner is Thursday at 730, so it may be a little hard to get as many people as we'd like to join in.

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    Meh, people will arrive late Thursday due to either work restraints, school, and/or other stuph that my conflict with coming into Boston on time for the dinner, but just in time for this ;).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The night before PAX I get restless and know I should be resting up for a full day of nerd joy, but PAX is like Christmas, Halloween, my birthday, and natural 20's all in one. So I'm sure I will be wandering around when I get in on Thursday looking for some games to play. I'll be bringing Killer Bunnies, and possibly Dominion or Pandemic. See you all in a few weeks!

Threeve on
    edited February 2010
    If anyone wants to teach me heroclix on wednesday, i'm up for that. but i only really have magic cards of my own.

baelion on
    Twitter
    munkeefish.png
  • ananseianansei Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Def interetsted - would love to learn the new magic rules - I have not played since Mirage and Fallen Empires - the good ole days

anansei on
    edited February 2010
    HAHA!

Looks like there's not really any interest for much outside Magic, so lets run with that. Here's what I am seeing for days and times right now:

Wednesday- 7PM till ??? (can end pretty much whenever, if we get kicked from the lobby we can move some of it to my room)

Thursday- 7PM till Midnight

Do these times sound good? Also, does everyone want to only do constructed or is there some interest in doing a booster draft or maybe one of those drafts they used to do for prerelease tournaments (1 startered deck + 3 packs). I'd be willing to shell out the initial cash to pickup the boxes of cards, but would need to ask those participating to essentially pay for what they would be using.

I'll put everything up on the initial post once we start getting everything gelled.

atiari on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not able to join in, as I'm getting into Boston on Thursday and I'm doing the Pre-PAX Dinner and the bar crawl, but I just wanted to say how awesome this is. I've always wanted to see some GAMING events happen Pre-PAX, but for some reason it hasn't happened yet.

I'd love to see this balloon into a gigantic thing. Go, go, go!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm in for some non-Magic gaming on the thursday night. I know there are a lot more Sheratonites out there - represent! ;)

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I'm not able to join in, as I'm getting into Boston on Thursday and I'm doing the Pre-PAX Dinner and the bar crawl, but I just wanted to say how awesome this is. I've always wanted to see some GAMING events happen Pre-PAX, but for some reason it hasn't happened yet.

I'd love to see this balloon into a gigantic thing. Go, go, go!

I'd try and make it bigger, but renting the meeting spaces in the Sheraton is expensive and I don't think the community wants to shell out more money for something like that ;)

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    I'm in for some non-Magic gaming on the thursday night. I know there are a lot more Sheratonites out there - represent! ;)

What manner of non-Magic gaming do we speak of?

Would anybody be interested in Prime Time Adventures?

GHoooSTS on
  • GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The last time I played Magic was a few years ago now, I would like to get back into it so i can see this as being a good opertunity to try and remember what I am supposed to do :P

What stater decks/kits would you guys reccomend?

Gentlemanne on
    edited February 2010
    The last time I played Magic was a few years ago now, I would like to get back into it so i can see this as being a good opertunity to try and remember what I am supposed to do :P

What stater decks/kits would you guys reccomend?

Well that depends on a lot ;)

Right now I tossed the idea out for boost drafts or possibly do a draft using fat packs (1 fat pack per person), or maybe something else. It does look like they discontinued tournament boxes, so that's not really an option anymore.

Any other ideas would be great to suggest, and if the decision is made to look into doing a draft of some sort I can try and get ahold of a FLGS in the Boston area to try and get a deal on things like fatpacks and boxes.

atiari on
  • james1221james1221 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i only have cards as old as urzas saga i believe, but always looking to play some magic. I don't like the new or nto so new anymore design of the cards.

james1221 on
    edited February 2010
    I'm making some phone calls about the possibility of getting a meeting room on the 24th or 25th (both?) for around 50-100 people at the Sheraton. This would be the best possible scenario as people could be as loud as they want, and can spread out to do whatever they would like. No word yet on a rough cost, but if it is not affordable to me out of pocket, I'll look into the possibility of sponsorships or donations to make it happen if demand is up the room.

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    atiari wrote: »
    I'm making some phone calls about the possibility of getting a meeting room on the 24th or 25th (both?) for around 50-100 people at the Sheraton. This would be the best possible scenario as people could be as loud as they want, and can spread out to do whatever they would like. No word yet on a rough cost, but if it is not affordable to me out of pocket, I'll look into the possibility of sponsorships or donations to make it happen if demand is up the room.

atiari = king among men

GHoooSTS on
    edited February 2010
    Naw, just a simple editor trying to bring some fun to the community before the huge event of fun known as PAX ;)

atiari on
    edited February 2010

Sponsorships are a no-no. Khoo doesn't want anyone taking away potential sponsors from PAX. As far as I know, meeting rooms like that are pretty expensive and often require catering options, too. But good luck! Update us on the price.

Arco on
    edited February 2010
    Screw it and just raid a conference room? Text-based gamers might be a little weak on the offense... but LARP/Nerf fanatics will be able to push in, until thrown out ;p. Torrent a conference room! No?... Meh, unless the Sheraton just gives the room to PAX goers just because, it'll be hard obtaining a blue/yellow/red key into those doors.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited February 2010

Sponsorships are a no-no. Khoo doesn't want anyone taking away potential sponsors from PAX. As far as I know, meeting rooms like that are pretty expensive and often require catering options, too. But good luck! Update us on the price.

By sponsors I more mean like my business partner deciding to pony up the cash out of his pocket to do it, rather than anything formal. I'm not the kind of person that can try and solicit money for sponsorship XD

As far as cost goes, it's a wait and see game from the Sheraton. AFAIK they don't require catering, but strongly push the option.

atiari on
    edited February 2010

By sponsors I more mean like my business partner deciding to pony up the cash out of his pocket to do it, rather than anything formal. I'm not the kind of person that can try and solicit money for sponsorship XD

As far as cost goes, it's a wait and see game from the Sheraton. AFAIK they don't require catering, but strongly push the option.

Oh, that's awesome. I didn't want to come off as confrontational or anything. :D I floated the sponsorship idea for a party I threw last year and it was pretty quickly shot down.

Like I said, I'm way into this idea. We've got sightseeing tours, a bar crawl, and a dinner, but astonishingly we have nothing more game related on the unofficial Pre-PAX events roster.

Arco on
    edited February 2010
    Yea I remember Khoo shooting down sponsorship of the PrePax Dinner in 08 before the idea was even seriously considered.

In any case, this all stems from one guy who expected to be sitting in a hotel room staring at crappy TV for a dozen hours or so. What started as a plan to snag a few people to play a few CCGs and tabletop games in the hotel lobby seems to be trying to be a little bigger. Hopefully everything works out.

atiari on
  • DarcDarc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have interest in participating in this. The only thing I would be able to provide on my own is M:tG cards, but I am game to play nearly anything else that people are willing to bring (Did I hear Dominion? Yes, please.)

Darc on
    There are 10 kinds of people; Those who read Binary, and Those who don't.

7Zd22nO.png
    edited February 2010
    I'm curious, would there be interest in maybe playing some Assassin format while we're there? It was the last format I played before I originally quit and loved it. I'll see if I can dig up some information on it.

(Edit: Here's a wiki on it, though it is brief: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering/Assassin_Format )

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    Bad news guys, the meeting room is almost certainly out of the question as the price is $1500, or a food and beverage minimum of $3000. There's no way I can absorb that out of pocket cost, and I do not see people wanting to pay admission to go and play some games.

So...we're back to the lobby plan. Sorry everyone.

atiari on
  • devodevo Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I'd be willing to run a summoner wars teaching camp if anyone wants to try it out. It's a fun little game for 2-4 players.

devo on
    edited February 2010
    Bad news guys, the meeting room is almost certainly out of the question as the price is $1500, or a food and beverage minimum of $3000. There's no way I can absorb that out of pocket cost, and I do not see people wanting to pay admission to go and play some games.

So...we're back to the lobby plan. Sorry everyone.
    I kind of suspected as much. No problem with the lobby, though. There's usually plenty of table space. You guys can always break into individual hotel rooms, too.

Moar people! Moar people!

Arco on
    edited February 2010
    Yea, and at some point late in the night they may ask us to move along as well. So hotel rooms will be a logical place to carry on late, though I want to try and give everyone some structure as to where to find games in general in the evenings :)

It may be a wise idea to plan for the lobby, and if we are moved around to drop a note in a thread on these forums or the IRC.

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    Yea, and at some point late in the night they may ask us to move along as well. So hotel rooms will be a logical place to carry on late, though I want to try and give everyone some structure as to where to find games in general in the evenings :)

It may be a wise idea to plan for the lobby, and if we are moved around to drop a note in a thread on these forums or the IRC.

Tweet it! Get a list of cell phone numbers. Put a sign up as a bulletin in the lobby or on a declared room door with constant updates to what games are on and where.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited February 2010

Tweet it! Get a list of cell phone numbers. Put a sign up as a bulletin in the lobby or on a declared room door with constant updates to what games are on and where.

not all of us have cell phones ;)

atiari on
This discussion has been closed.