As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

God of War Collection, PS3 BC, and the future of up-ports

15678911»

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BOTP. :P
    Yeah, there are generally more games banned due to violence but the number of games banned because of sexual stuff is still ridiculous. According to Wiki, Sexy Poker had all the nudity edited out of the WiiWare release and it was still banned.

That's more due to not having an AO/18+ rating for games because, honestly, all the games that were banned for sexual content seem like they need an AO/18+ rating. Meanwhile you could still get the playboy game at any ebgames if they have them and hire out trannies at the Pearl in dragon age. There's also Fahrenheit, where I think we have the uncensored version along with other PAL territories. The need to ban them is still pretty lame, though I guess it's more due to the lack of an appropriate rating.

I still can't understand why some games with high impact violence would still get banned and not MA15+ at most. Planet terror was MA15+ for crying out loud.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow. Platinuming God of War 2 was miles easier than the first. Fuck the seventh challange of the Titans, but even that wasn't terrible after I got the rhythm. (And some good luck, fuck you Dark Priests) Arena of the Fates is such a good idea. (Yay 17 Cyclops eyes in like, half an hour.)

Still, very glad this was done, and still looking forward to seeing if this happens again.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't really get what impact the whole "sacrifice" is supposed to have in God of War 1 anyways, even with a human.

Shit, in the tutorial for the game, you grab a key off the captain and then throw him into the stomach of a Hydra.

Kratos obviously has disregard for human life, and it's shown before that whole "puzzle"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Neither did much for me actually. First, human sacrifice was completely unknown to ancient Greece, and there are even a few myths that show it as an affront to the gods. Although the entire game is completely made up, by and large the major players act in character throughout. For Poseidon to require you to sacrifice someone completely breaks with that.

Second, as mentioned, Kratos already casually killed the captain when it wasn't even necessary (he could have easily pulled him out and then left him to fend for himself), so sacrificing a soldier when it was required is obviously something he would have no qualms with.

Finally, given that the entire game has a central theme of Kratos trying to regain his lost humanity (including a scene where he looks at a hall full of slaughtered soldiers and recognizes his own brutality in it), he sure doesn't seem to have learned a damn thing. He's every bit the bastard in the game that he was under Ares.

Chris FOM on
    edited January 2010
    He's not trying to regain his lost humanity. He's simply sorry about his wife and child, and wants to be free from that particular torment. Those dead soldiers just reminded him of the brutality in that particular village where he did that evil deed. Everything he does, including trying to free himself from his own nightmares, is entirely for selfish reasons. Even the ending of God of War II, while I was like "Holy shit can't wait for GOW3", I was also thinking "Man...what a dick."

UnbreakableVow on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, he's not meant to be a sympathetic character at all.

-Loki- on
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I guess there were a few scenes in God of War that came across as if Kratos had some insight. In particular the scene right after the Challenge of Atlas with his "By the gods, what have I become?" line implied that he knew what he had lost and might even be trying to reclaim it. Chains of Olympus would also give weight to him being on at least a partial quest for redemption and not pure vengeance (95% instead of 100%). But I can't argue against seeing him as a total asshole all the way through.

Chris FOM on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just beat GoW2 in the collection. Awesome games, and they look really great on the PS3. I don't think I was enthralled enough with the games to try and get good enough at them to beat them on higher difficulties, which is unusual for me, but I'll probably pick up GoW3 at some point.

All in all, I'd say this was a successful product and I hope Sony continues with it and puts out the Ratchet and Clank series in a similar format (I'd like to play the newer PS3 games, but I hate entering a series already in progress and the PS3 I use has no backcombat (In addition, I'd hate to have to track down all six PS2 games)

Diddo with Ico/SotC.

Undead Scottsman on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd love it if Sony did a 'Collection' of upscaled PS2 games about 6 months before a bit series continuation on the PS3. It's good for building hype (if it's actually released... I had to import GoW Collection) and for people to get to know the series again. I'd buy the shit out of Team Ico, Ratchet, Jak and Sly collections.

-Loki- on
    edited February 2010
    There are only three real R&C games no PS2

Ratchet: Deadlocked is a piece of shit whose existence I still can't explain, and the other two are PSP side-story kind of deals

And I'm the opposite of you; these are the only games (besides MGS1-3) where I felt compelled to beat them on higher difficulties

I didn't get through God mode in GoW1 because of the bullshit family section at the end and haven't attempted the hardest mode in GoW2 yet

UnbreakableVow on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'd love it if Sony did a 'Collection' of upscaled PS2 games about 6 months before a bit series continuation on the PS3. It's good for building hype (if it's actually released... I had to import GoW Collection) and for people to get to know the series again. I'd buy the shit out of Team Ico, Ratchet, Jak and Sly collections.

I would too, since I've never found a copy of Ico, and never played the Ratchet, Jak, or Sly games when they were big. I -could- still but like Scottsman said, it's really hard trying to track down all those games.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited February 2010
    Man

I never knew what people's problems were trying to find Ico

Back during the entirety of last-gen I could walk into any store and purchase a bazillion copies of Ico if I had the cash

I could make a fortress out of them

Named Fort Ico

UnbreakableVow on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Ratchet: Deadlocked is a piece of shit whose existence I still can't explain, and the other two are PSP side-story kind of deals

And I'm the opposite of you; these are the only games (besides MGS1-3) where I felt compelled to beat them on higher difficulties

I didn't get through God mode in GoW1 because of the bullshit family section at the end and haven't attempted the hardest mode in GoW2 yet

I'm the kind of stooge that prefers to play all games in a series, even if one or two of them suck.

Which kinda ticks me off re: Chains of Olympus. Ah, well.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited February 2010

I'm the kind of stooge that prefers to play all games in a series, even if one or two of them suck.

You aren't missing a whole lot. Regarding Kratos' story, it doesn't really reveal anything new. I'll spoiler the story, but I don't think it's pretty big.
    The game is basically him doing Ares dirty work. After some inter-god political shenanigans, he ends up in Elysium with the choice of stay with his daughter for an hour or so before existence ends, or leave her behind forever and go stop Atlas and Persephone from destroying the world. It adds a bit more to the 'raaaargh Ares hate' story, and shows Kratos does consider the greater good rather than just his own happiness, but overall, it's just a side story.

-Loki- on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

You aren't missing a whole lot. Regarding Kratos' story, it doesn't really reveal anything new. I'll spoiler the story, but I don't think it's pretty big.
    The game is basically him doing Ares dirty work. After some inter-god political shenanigans, he ends up in Elysium with the choice of stay with his daughter for an hour or so before existence ends, or leave her behind forever and go stop Atlas and Persephone from destroying the world. It adds a bit more to the 'raaaargh Ares hate' story, and shows Kratos does consider the greater good rather than just his own happiness, but overall, it's just a side story.

Yeah uh, I think my joke summary in the GoW3 OP was more accurate than your summary and I didn't even mention a couple of the more important parts of the story.
    Outside of Ares causing Kratos to kill his wife and daughter, Ares wasn't even a part of the game at all. Kratos was working for Athena.

Undead Scottsman, I'd recommend you find some way to play Chains of Olympus (outside piracy of course), it's really good.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited February 2010

Yeah uh, I think my joke summary in the GoW3 OP was more accurate than your summary and I didn't even mention a couple of the more important parts of the story.
    Outside of Ares causing Kratos to kill his wife and daughter, Ares wasn't even a part of the game at all. Kratos was working for Athena.
    Well, consider that it's post-deal with Ares, but pre-GoW, Chains of Olympus is basically what Kratos did after Ares made him powerful but before he hated him. I guess it would have been more accurate to replace Ares with 'the gods'. Other than that, it's a pretty quick rundown of what happened, though I glossed over a shitload to get to the character development of Kratos (what little there is).

-Loki- on