As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White [chat]findel Sucks

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Can you block people from following you on Twitter?

Yes. I have my account protected.

So, like, if I get a notification that Crazy Stalker is following me, I can block Crazy Stalker?

I don't want to have to approve everybody. I just want to block Crazy Stalker.

Yeah for sure. You can set it up so you get an email notification whenever someone new follows you and you can block them/follow them from there.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    The only reason to use Twitter is to announce to the world the current state of your bowel movements.

There are other reasons.

Clocks poop too.

They are very regular.

Cinders on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is the article the woman wrote in response to what happened to her: http://gizmodo.com/5470696/fck-you-google

It used to be on her blog but now she blocked public access to it.

Sarksus on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You people already know too much about me!

but I am addicted to you

:(

whee paranoia time

I didn't feel like sleeping anyways

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wazilla and Sarksus are telling me two different things! I am confused and frightened!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited February 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    There was an article on it from Gizmodo or TechCrunch. Lemme see if I can dig it up...

Edit: Bam?

Yeah I just found that too. It appears she edited since she first wrote the piece. The beginning is different than I remember when Senj linked it a week or so ago.

wazilla on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wazilla and Sarksus are telling me two different things! I am confused and frightened!

They just want you to use Twitter so they can stalk you.

Cinders on
    edited February 2010

In order to fully protect yourself you need to protect your tweets which blocks everyone except people you approve. If you leave your tweets unprotected but you block specific accounts then that account holder can just log out and view your tweets anonymously. As far as I am aware Twitter blocks accounts, not IP addresses.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010

Hmm. He's right, they can still see your tweets, but if you block them it wont throw them in their twitter feed thing.

wazilla on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

In order to fully protect yourself you need to protect your tweets which blocks everyone except people you approve. If you leave your tweets unprotected but you block specific accounts then that account holder can just log out and view your tweets anonymously. As far as I am aware Twitter blocks accounts, not IP addresses.

Okay, that makes sense.

Hrm.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Or you can just not use Twitter.

Solomaxwell6 on
    edited February 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

but I am addicted to you

whee paranoia time

Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations.

Cinders on
    edited February 2010
    See, I have a Twitter account. I made it so I could follow the tweets of this local music artist I like a lot.

The first week went like this:

"You are now following Localmusician!" :D
    "Localmusician is following you!" :D
    "Localmusiciansboyfriendwhoisalsoacoolmusician is following you!" :D
    "Yourneedyexgirlfriend is following you!" D:

Feral on

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feral get on twittttttttter.

So It Goes on
    edited February 2010
    See, I have a Twitter account. I made it so I could follow the tweets of this local music artist I like a lot.

You don't need a Twitter account to follow one account. Just keep their page in a browser tab.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010

You don't need a Twitter account to follow one account. Just keep their page in a browser tab.

you and your LIES

wazilla on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Hehe

For me it was

*cokebotle signs up for Twitter*

"Meh... fuck this. Too much effort."

*X weeks and no Twitter activity later*
    '<guy from college> is following you!'

O_o

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I got a twitter account to keep up with the Iran stuff. Never used it, never twatted, and yet I have followers for some reason.

moniker on
    edited February 2010
    I mostly get spam bots following me but then this newspaper for a local university started following me. I got creeped out and I protected my tweets.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I got a twitter account to keep up with the Iran stuff. Never used it, never twatted, and yet I have followers for some reason.

...Twatted?

Feral on

edited February 2010

...Twatted?

Whatever.

moniker on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

but I am addicted to you

whee paranoia time

Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations.

I don't know what this means

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've seen so many people look at twitter for the first time and go. "Meh."

I tell them to download an app like tweetdeck so it's always there. No one ever listens though.

I've been using it for about 3 years now and have somehow got over 100 followers, which amazed me as I always thought I was fucking dull.

Duchess Prozac on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am enjoying Darker Than Black. This is a good show so far.

Quid on
    edited February 2010

I tell them to download an app like tweetdeck so it's always there. No one ever listens though.

I've been using it for about 3 years now and have somehow got over 100 followers, which amazed me as I always thought I was fucking dull.

People are dull and want to connect to more dull people.

I used TweetDeck and got sick of looking at it on my desktop taking up resources. I just use the browser.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010
    When I tweet I know pretty much exactly who can see it, and I talk to them specifically all the time.

So It Goes on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Quid wrote: »

i could never get into it for some reason

though the dub is horrible, i mean just hideous

Rust on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

But... WHY do you bother?

Incenjucar on
    edited February 2010

Yay!

I haven't watched anime in a long, long time.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

seriously

i've kept out of the social-networking scene completely because i don't want people to have 24-hour access to my life

Rust on
    edited February 2010
    Twitter is just a more compact chat thread. I tweet my thoughts or feelings, I vent about something that just happened and it makes me feel better, I respond to other people and they respond to me. It's good for posting links that would otherwise be missed in a forum thread.

Sarksus on
    edited February 2010
    Just remember Elldren, You hide, they seek.

Cinders on
    edited February 2010
    I don't mind, like, Facebook posts, because it's nice knowing when something significant is going on with someone I care about. But "lol I am eating a cake" or whatever the hell people tweet about is not compelling.

Incenjucar on
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »

seriously

i've kept out of the social-networking scene completely because i don't want people to have 24-hour access to my life

They have as much access as you give them, just the same as this thread. If you posted in this thread 24 hours a day you would give people that kind of access, but you don't, and you similarly don't have to use Twitter that often either.

Sarksus on
  • Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Because it's easier than writing up a long blog post every day, and I can just jot down what I'm thinking or doing quickly without having to divert too much time away from whatever else I'm doing.

I kept a Live Journal blog for a couple of years and it was filled with the most emo stuff as I had little else to talk about most of the time. With twitter I keep my emoness down to a bare minimum.

Duchess Prozac on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »

i could never get into it for some reason

though the dub is horrible, i mean just hideous

I kind of wish I could watch it since most anime generally gets assigned to times that I'm doing stuff on the computer. Trying to read subs and type is frustrating.

Quid on
    edited February 2010
    I follow some comedians who tweet funny stuff. Sometimes people post links that are interesting, or musics.

So It Goes on
    edited February 2010
    If I had a phone that had a Twitter thing on it, I might actually use it.

Hence, come on more Google phones to Japan!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited February 2010

I would tweet if there was a reason for it...but there's not. Anything of any importance re: whatever, well I'd want to deliver specifically and be sure that it got there rather than blast it out to the ether and hope.

There are some libraries and such that are basically using it as micro-blogging with events reminders, advertising stuff, and other general marketing/PR gimmicks. I can see the utility in that. The fact that I just finished doing laundry, not so much.

moniker on
    edited February 2010
    Just remember Elldren, You hide, they seek.

No, no, no. "If you run, they chase."

I invented that in '97 man. Nobody ever thought of it ever before. Don't you mess it up.

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.