As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] There must always be a bitching

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Has anyone had a problem where you couldn't kick all the griefers out of your group? I got randomed into an OK where one hunter just afked at the portal and a shaman who apparently caused the group's previous tank to ragequit was afk and dead on the ground near the first set of trash. Not set to wait on them I took the one DPS and Healer (both very undergeared and inexperienced druids) through the trash and we killed the first boss after what seemed like an eternity. The randoming debuffs finally wore off on the hunter and shaman but we only were allowed the votekick the hunter, all three of us tried to kick the shaman (as to my knowledge, its possible the two druids had no idea what to do even after I explained how to do it -_-), but since I started to votekick on the hunter the game told me I was not allowed to start another vote. The druids decided to leave at this point leaving me with the stupid shaman, so I ended up just eating the 15 deserter buff rather then find out exactly why the shaman thought it would be cool to be such a dick.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Arkan wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH

Warcraft's storyline has never been that amazing. It's the same couple plot devices blizzard loves over and over - corruption of heroes, etc - it never is coherent, and half of the plot points require one or more of the characters involved to be functionally retarded for it to make any sense. Warcraft's plot is incredibly shallow and serves as little more to string along the gameplay from one point to another.

And you know what? I'm fine with that because all the games are fun as hell. Blizzard can make games but they sure as hell can't write a story beyond "blargh I must protect people oh no now I'm evil gonna kill you all raarrgh"
    This is lazy reasoning. There's a large range of quality to plots and for different reasons. Warcraft has most definitely degraded in quality through poorly done retcons and a relegating of everything to adaptations.

No Warcraft is not amazing for the story, but it was entertaining. I still enjoy the cinematics from Warcraft 3 and the characters were fun and do add to the experience. This experience is damaged whenever they randomly add new details, forget old ones (or not-so-old, Mr. Lehner) or stuff the interesting shit into books and comics. Remember how you said the story wasn't amazing? Well, I certainly don't want to plop 15 bucks on said story without the gameplay. So uh, can we have not shove the story of Varian's kidnapping/recovery into a godawful comic?

I mean, what if retaking Gnomeregan/Echo Isles got similar treatment? We'd be missing out again. And part of making it a MMORPG is experiencing that shit first-hand. It defeats the purpose, from an immersion perspective.

Blizzard can write interesting characters, yes, but that's not the same thing as writing a good story.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem where you couldn't kick all the griefers out of your group? I got randomed into an OK where one hunter just afked at the portal and a shaman who apparently caused the group's previous tank to ragequit was afk and dead on the ground near the first set of trash. Not set to wait on them I took the one DPS and Healer (both very undergeared and inexperienced druids) through the trash and we killed the first boss after what seemed like an eternity. The randoming debuffs finally wore off on the hunter and shaman but we only were allowed the votekick the hunter, all three of us tried to kick the shaman (as to my knowledge, its possible the two druids had no idea what to do even after I explained how to do it -_-), but since I started to votekick on the hunter the game told me I was not allowed to start another vote. The druids decided to leave at this point leaving me with the stupid shaman, so I ended up just eating the 15 deserter buff rather then find out exactly why the shaman thought it would be cool to be such a dick.

Over the past few days I have met a lot of really, really dumb/mean/"special" people. But yeah, the same person can't vote kick someone more than once every few minutes I think.

They definitely need to give more freedom to people in the group though. Rather than "Put up with really bad people or eat a debuff for 15 minutes and go eat something." Only because I'm going to be really fat by the end of this month if that's the case.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

Over the past few days I have met a lot of really, really dumb/mean/"special" people. But yeah, the same person can't vote kick someone more than once every few minutes I think.

Then I guess it was just the two druids being silly gooses about finding that little thing that says "Vote Kick".

And of course, pretty soon that debuff will be 30 minutes for deserting soon. If anything that makes me want to do less heroics because when you get burned by griefers you're gonna end up getting hit harder too if the group utterly collapses in under 15 minutes, or if you join a group being griefed in progress like I did.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last heroic I asked if we were going to be needing the frost orb, considering they're about to become much more useful. Everybody was like pffft, nah. We got to the end and two people greeded, so I stupidly greeded myself, at which point the last two (guildies) needed. "As long as one of us gets it!" They said something about doing a regular roll for the rest of us if we really wanted it but I wasn't about to set myself up for a syke.

So I guess no more questions, I'll be needing every time from now on.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited February 2010
    Last heroic I asked if we were going to be needing the frost orb, considering they're about to become much more useful. Everybody was like pffft, nah. We got to the end and two people greeded, so I stupidly greeded myself, at which point the last two (guildies) needed. "As long as one of us gets it!" They said something about doing a regular roll for the rest of us if we really wanted it but I wasn't about to set myself up for a syke.

You can't trade frozen orbs cross-realms anyway.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wow, your guildies are dicks...

Spacemilk on
  • mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    why exactly will frozen orbs become much more useful?

mturalon on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »

Wow, your guildies are dicks...

I think he was saying that the two were each others guildies, and not his guildies. So far my battlegroup is 100% greed. The strange thing is there was a priest that ninja'd a tank piece (which I could have really used for offspec :x) and still didn't need the orb.

jackal on
    edited February 2010
    mturalon wrote: »

You'll be able to trade them for eternals, frost lotuses, or runed orbs/crusader orbs (but not at a 1:1 rate for the last two)

Arkan on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

You'll be able to trade them for eternals, frost lotuses, or runed orbs/crusader orbs (but not at a 1:1 rate for the last two)

When is that coming into effect?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It's 4 frozen for a runed and 6 frozen for a crusader. But most importantly it's 6 frozen orbs for a new flying carpet recipe. Has anyone seen pictures of that anywhere?

/edit: patch 3.3.3

Source (blue post)

Grobian on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »

When is that coming into effect?

Sometime in March early April

Brainleech on
    edited February 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    I think he was saying that the two were each others guildies, and not his guildies.
    Correct. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited February 2010
    Grobian wrote: »

It's 4 frozen for a runed and 6 frozen for a crusader. But most importantly it's 6 frozen orbs for a new flying carpet recipe. Has anyone seen pictures of that anywhere?

Source (blue post)

Wow, that's pretty cool. Wish I could see the link but work is being a pain as usual with the firewall. I'll have to check that out further when I get home.

Gonmun on
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    heroic SFK/Deadmines = boring.

Wait what

Boring? D:

Hell, aren't they supposedly making the heroic editions entirely new instances? Like, a different layout and everything? I recall it sounding more like a 2.0 edition than a mere "heroic'ing". That these would be new places with familiar 'skins' as it were.
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Didn't you have entire raid guilds forming 40-mans and joining AV as a single group back in those days, too?

Yes, but only for the smaller faction. On my realm there was a massive glut of Alliance, so AV was instant queue (literally) for Horde, and Alliance had an up to 8 hour wait. I'm not exaggerating. 8 hours. I could queue when I got home from work around 6, queue up, and if I was lucky and it was a short queue, I might get into an AV around midnight after our night of raiding.

Sometime in Vanilla they made some changes that cut the queue down to something resembling 15 to 30 minutes (pretty sure it was then) which was a godsend. Instant queues are nice these days, but I miss the 1-2 hour slugfests of the old AV, as opposed to the 4 minute rushes, better honour that they might be.

Edit: re: wintergrasp. On top of the population balance issues, there's at least one multiboxer on the Horde side of my realm. Do you have any idea how much it sucks to get deathgrasp'd into FIVE FUCKING DK, all attacking you at once? Or to get chainlighting'd 5 times in one shot? He's just a wrecking ball that walks around WG raping people, vehicles and locations all on his own. Less a man and more a force of nature that gets off on violating people.

Also, rather than bothering to start warning people about orbs, I just wait to see what everyone else does. If I see 4 Greeds, I greed. If I see a Need or two in there, I Need. Seems like an easy enough way to go about doing things.

And finally; this weekend led to some crazy heroic'ing, but oh god were my tanks hurting at times. I feel bad for the healers of Vindication, I really put some of you through your paces. That said, several 232 upgrades, a few 200's (rare and epic alike) and crafting/enchanting a pair of shields later, they're all vastly more beefy than they were last week.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited February 2010
    I remember the allaince would be wiping on Drek
    Or an off hour in the multiday fight I would fish

How I do miss fishing in battlegrounds

I rmember one fight I got into started Thursday afternoon I played a few go to work come home it's the same fight go to bed same fight, and so on for 4 days it only ended due to maintence

Brainleech on
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone want to cast a scroll of resurrection? PM me and I'll send my email addy.
    I've got some 7 day free-play sitting around, I'm planning on using that before resubbing, but I don't think it'll mess anything up.

I'm coming back to a lvl 80 Rogue, War, Pally, and Warlock - are any of them particularly strong or weak in pvp right now?

Madpoet on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Source (blue post)

Wow, that's pretty cool. Wish I could see the link but work is being a pain as usual with the firewall. I'll have to check that out further when I get home.

Because I r bored and personally hate being blocked when wanting to read something ;)
    I'm sure some of you noticed this in the 3.3.3 PTR patch notes:

Frozo the Renowned has moved into the Dalaran Magus Commerce Exchange and will be trading your Frozen Orbs for various other trade goods.

For those curious, here are the items for which you can trade your Frozen Orbs to Frozo. These each cost 1 Frozen Orb unless noted otherwise in parentheses:

Crusader Orb (6)

Runed Orb (4)

Eternal Fire

Eternal Earth

Eternal Water

Eternal Air

Eternal Life

Eternal Shadow

Frost Lotus

Pattern: Frosty Flying Carpet [Tailors Only] (6)

PTR Patch 3.3.3 Notes: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=23329393385&sid=1

[ Post edited by Zarhym ]

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited February 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Wait what

Boring? D:

Hell, aren't they supposedly making the heroic editions entirely new instances? Like, a different layout and everything? I recall it sounding more like a 2.0 edition than a mere "heroic'ing". That these would be new places with familiar 'skins' as it were.

This is the full extent of any information the internet has regarding the heroic retoolings:
    1:31PM Heroic Deadmines and Heroic Shadowfang Keep. Existing art, but new fights, creatures and abilities. Heroic level 85 dungeon. "VanCleefier than ever before."

I watched Blizzcon and I don't remember anything about a new map.

UncleSporky on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Warriors are pretty much perpetually strong right now, though they'll claim tanking is something they can't do well.

The Muffin Man on
    edited February 2010
    This is the full extent of any information the internet has regarding the heroic retoolings:
    1:31PM Heroic Deadmines and Heroic Shadowfang Keep. Existing art, but new fights, creatures and abilities. Heroic level 85 dungeon. "VanCleefier than ever before."

I watched Blizzcon and I don't remember anything about a new map.

I recall something more recently about Heroic SFK being an entirely new map specifically. Whether that applies to DM and any others they update, I don't know.

Forar on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Wait what

Boring? D:

If they were going to do that, why call them heroic SFK and heroic DM? This whole rumor or whatever that they're going to be entirely different instances isn't logically sound.

reVerse on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Source (blue post)

Could be the one Frozo is riding. It's a recolour but a nice one.

The new plushies are kinda nice. Not really my thing but they ain't bad.

danx on
    edited February 2010
    Neyla wrote: »

Source (blue post)

Because I r bored and personally hate being blocked when wanting to read something ;)

Frozo the Renowned has moved into the Dalaran Magus Commerce Exchange and will be trading your Frozen Orbs for various other trade goods.

For those curious, here are the items for which you can trade your Frozen Orbs to Frozo. These each cost 1 Frozen Orb unless noted otherwise in parentheses:

Crusader Orb (6)

Runed Orb (4)

Eternal Fire

Eternal Earth

Eternal Water

Eternal Air

Eternal Life

Eternal Shadow

Frost Lotus

PTR Patch 3.3.3 Notes: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=23329393385&sid=1

Somebody could make a killing on my server with those Eternal Life. I managed to farm enough crystallized in WG to make 4 eternal life and wound up making over 400g off of them.

Gonmun on
    edited February 2010
    danx wrote: »

Source (blue post)

Are they for sale now?

Brainleech on
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Warriors are pretty much perpetually strong right now, though they'll claim tanking is something they can't do well.

Plus ca change... though after playing the pally, it's hard to go back to warrior tab tanking.

Madpoet on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Source (blue post)

Crusader Orb (6)

Runed Orb (4)

Eternal Fire

Eternal Earth

Eternal Water

Eternal Air

Eternal Life

Eternal Shadow

Frost Lotus

Somebody could make a killing on my server with those Eternal Life. I managed to farm enough crystallized in WG to make 4 eternal life and wound up making over 400g off of them.

What serious? 100g each?! Wow I am on the wrong server! I have serveral stacks of eternal lifes on my main that I been slowly making fires out of....

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited February 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    If they were going to do that, why call them heroic SFK and heroic DM? This whole rumor or whatever that they're going to be entirely different instances isn't logically sound.

Possibly because they recognize that the playerbase has likely done those instances literally dozens or even hundreds of times across their mains, alts, their friend's mains, alts, farming for X for whatever reason, etc, etc, etc. If they gave us whole new versions of those instances with Cataclysm, I certainly wouldn't bitch.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if they made minor or major tweaks to layouts in all of the Normal->Heroic changes, but that's probably asking too much, so I'd settle for them doing more than just updating the mobs and adding better loot to instances that are going to be literally over half a decade old.

What serious? 100g each?! Wow I am on the wrong server! I have serveral stacks of eternal lifes on my main that I been slowly making fires out of....

I'm baffled by this. Last I checked, crystallized life wasn't all that valuable on my realm, because all the herbalists mean that the market is often drowning in the stuff. It's not as low as Water or Earth, of course, but it wasn't as high as Fire either. I don't watch the prices too closely, but for example, Eternal Earth and Water are often around 4-5 gold each, whereas Eternal Fire is around 40.

Forar on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    But isn't revisiting them kind of the point? It would be like going to see your grandma, only to have her replaced by a supermodel :/

Gumpy on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I can tank the shit out of things as long I am getting heals.

Seg on
    edited February 2010
    I'd be fine with a "re-imagining" of them. Keep the flavour, give me something new to see and do. Perhaps the deadmines have shifted due to all the earthquakes on Azeroth, or new tunnels have been dug finally, or something. SFK is a bit less easily handwaved, but perhaps there's a side passage through a different part of the keep? I dunno, I just don't see why anyone would see it as a downside to get more new stuff, instead of a pile of old stuff with higher level mobs.

Forar on
    edited February 2010
    But isn't revisiting them kind of the point? It would be like going to see your grandma, only to have her replaced by a supermodel :/

Which, while in and on itself would be nice albeit a bit confusing, would probably cause some uproar among the unwashed creepoids who follow you everywhere and specifically requested to go see your grandma.

It's just not in any way, shape or form reasonable to assume that Heroic SFK and Heroic DM will be brand new instances. It's the same level of stupid as Mass Effect fans thinking that Shepard would be a Geth in ME2. It's just plain stupid.

If they were to remake the base instances, and they've said that they're going to do some reworking on some of them (Wailing Caverns was mentioned), I can see how any such alterations would carry over to the heroic versions. But suggesting that the heroic versions will be brand new instances is imbecilic.

reVerse on
    edited February 2010
    I'm assuming that they'll be mostly trimming the trash and extraneous bosses (because those instances have like 10 bosses) down and then making the bosses left have actual strategy beyond "tank and spank".

Arkan on
    edited February 2010

Source (blue post)

Crusader Orb (6)

Runed Orb (4)

Eternal Fire

Eternal Earth

Eternal Water

Eternal Air

Eternal Life

Eternal Shadow

Frost Lotus

I kid you not. I was amazed by it. I was trying to help in WG so that alliance would win so the bigger flowers were available there so I could get more but damn alliance haven't a clue how to win WG it would seem when I want them to. Seriously in an hour or so I have 4 Eternal Life's and 8 left over crysallized. Chucked them up on ah and there were no eternal life on there. Auctioneer set the price for 430g if I recall and about 2 hours later it sold. Speaking with my co-worker he says they sell really high on our server as nobody seems to farm them. Looks like I may have found a way to fund my way to getting a battered hilt. :) Good thing those are selling between 9-12k.

Gonmun on
    edited February 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Which, while in and on itself would be nice albeit a bit confusing, would probably cause some uproar among the unwashed creepoids who follow you everywhere and specifically requested to go see your grandma.

It's just not in any way, shape or form reasonable to assume that Heroic SFK and Heroic DM will be brand new instances. It's the same level of stupid as Mass Effect fans thinking that Shepard would be a Geth in ME2. It's just plain stupid.

If they were to remake the base instances, and they've said that they're going to do some reworking on some of them (Wailing Caverns was mentioned), I can see how any such alterations would carry over to the heroic versions. But suggesting that the heroic versions will be brand new instances is imbecilic.

I guess we'll find out later this year.

I'm not saying they'll be entirely new instances, but I'd be highly surprised if Blizzard bothered mentioning making heroic modes for oldschool content and then decided that the design from over half a decade ago was up to snuff for their expansion.

But hey, if rather than debating the finer points of what might or might not be reasonable and would rather insult my intelligence, feel free to remain a closed minded silly goose of the highest order.

Edit: as I read through google searches, it seems that I may be wrong. Which I'll admit, yet remain hopeful until proven otherwise, which I imagine shouldn't be too long from now.

Forar on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    danx wrote: »

Source (blue post)

Are they for sale now?

Not yet. MMO says shortly.

danx on
    edited February 2010
    I got heroic Violet Hold on the LFD tool yesterday. I was completely lost for a moment because it was an entire different instance than regular Violet Hold.

No, wait...

reVerse on
    edited February 2010
    Yes, because Violet Hold is over 5 years ol... wait.

Forar on
    edited February 2010
    Again, it's perfectly reasonable to speculate that they'll do some touching up here and there. Smoothen up the geography, get rid of some of the more repetitive trash, add new abilities for bosses etc.

It is absolutely ludicrous to speculate that the heroic SFK and DM will be brand new instances entirely.

There is a difference here, one that someone halfway intelligent might realize.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.