As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How hot is too hot?

DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a new video card a few weeks ago but I have been afraid to use it under any load. I had a EVGA Nvidia 9800GT before and it died from overheating or the nvidia curse, or whatever happened to it.

I bought a XFX Radeon HD 5770 this time and some of the temps I have been seeing it going up to scare me a little. I'm scared that it might be getting too hot and I will break this card as well. Using the Catalyst Overdrive thing it I did a benchmark test with furmark just to see what it would get at full load. I set the fan at 65%, which is a little loud, but anything to keep my card from dying. The max I got was 69c. Is that getting too hot?

Here is a pic of the test results
furbench.jpg?t=1266847805

DJ Cam Cam on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No. That's probably about normal with stock fans.

Get concerned when it gets near 85 C +. I think 90+ is the failing point for electronics.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    EVGA offer lifetime warrenties, so you should probably see if you're covered.

As for graphics cards, I think they're designed to run under 120 degrees celcius before they'll damage the chip. The fans tend to kick in full throttle around the 80-90C mark, so anything under that is pretty normal.

Rook on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rook wrote: »

As for graphics cards, I think they're designed to run under 120 degrees celcius before they'll damage the chip. The fans tend to kick in full throttle around the 80-90C mark, so anything under that is pretty normal.

Wow, if that's the case I was way off.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »

Wow, if that's the case I was way off.

Oh damn, me too. I've use EVGA Precision to keep the fans loud as hell just to keep it below 60-70 under load. Shit, I can go back to having a quiet computer room! JOY.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Parts running at high temperatures, especially over long periods of time, could still have a shorter lifespan. Which isn't to say that your computer will explode if it gets warmer than 70 degrees, just ... don't run it at a constant 119.

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No game is ever going to heat up your GPU like furmark will either.

If all you get out of furmark is 69C then you're fine. If you're really worried about it, snag an extra case fan and postition it somewhere to blow across the GPU to help move some heat. Usually a spot on the side of the case to mount it just for that purpose, or up front with the hard drive(s).

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You don't want to break 90 for extended periods, get a better case or crank the fans if you are imo. Anything less and you can leave it or even quiet things down if you prefer.

90C+ is the point where I start to cringe at the thought of leaving it like that, that's pretty hot.

Personally I'm in the 40s cause yay water cooling. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    49C isn't that bad at all. My nvidia GTX260 used to get up to 65-70C all the time and that was without overclocking the stupid thing.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How hard is it to add a fan onto the side of the case. Here is a pic of the case, you can see the mesh window area on the side.
    img56294180.jpg

Sorry for how small this one is, here is roughly what the inside of the case looks like. The 5770 is in there too unlike this pic.
    FX4710-UB003A-FB-R-soft.gif

The fan you already see in there is right up against the inside part of the mesh window, pulling air to the processor.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    mechaThormechaThor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    you might be able to attach an 80mm fan to the side panel with some zipties or something if you have enough room between the panel and the video card (yours might be too big). other than that as people have said 69C isn't all that bad. unless you're planning on playing crysis on max settings for a few days straight, you should be okay.

mechaThor on
    "I sent an e-mail asking why wood elves get +2 Str when other dwarves did not. My response from customer service consisted of five words: 'Wood elves are really strong.' "
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not entirely sure about the ATI side of things, but most nvidia models don't even kick their fans to the highest setting until 100C

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That case doesn't look like it will have enough clearance between the GPU and the side for a fan to fit to be honest.

If you have a free expansion slot you can pick up something like this.

I honestly don't think you need it though.

I'm not sure if there's anything like rivatuner out there for ATI cards, but you may want to look into it. You can set thresholds for the fan to kick up at certain temps. That way you can leave it at a speed that's quiet when idle, and have it ramp up once it gets past say 65C, it'll be loud, but if you're using the GPU, you're gaming, and probably have the game drowning out the sound of the fan anyway.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433