As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This takes me back... [Mass Effect]

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    smof wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll find out what they're really called. Because it's certainly not 'reapers'

It's possible they don't have a collective name. We do know that Sovereign's minds had a name for its form, and what it was for its distinguishable "shell", but considering how much they think they're "above it all", they might just think that the apex of evolution is what they are, so they don't even need names for what they are.

Both Harbinger and Sovereign come off as really pretentious fuckers with ideas of grandeur while you prove them wrong every step of the way on a microscale.

The whole "we are beyond your understanding" and the way he tried to move around explaining what they are, is probably because he really couldn't, as they don't have conventional group names and he did mention each and every one of them is a solid state unit.

They don't really need a collective name either; most of the time when communicating with another species it's one-on-one (and Sovereign felt happy telling the Geth his real name).

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    blah blah blah our name is inconsequential in the face of your destruction blah blah blah

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Emphatically: Shepard are the reapers.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    I'm glad that my brain filters out spoilers so that I only read Sovereign in your post and not the name directly before it.

:^:

Yeah, the thread has gotten awfully lax about spoilers as time has gone on. If you're on your first time thru, I'd really just advise you to avoid the thread if at all possible.

Bobble on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Honk people throw around what I would consider important spoilers, for where you are in the campaign, casually in this thread. It's really for people who've beaten the game, I'd say. I know if I browsed this thread before I had beaten the game I'd have had many things spoiled for me.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm a bit behind this time around, I'll be back when I'm finished with it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's a good way to make money? Right now I've done every single sidequest I can find, which usually only nets me 7,500 credits per side quest. That's like... nothing, when a single upgrade can cost 90,000 credits. I'm still doing the main storyline (just got the last member of the squad last night), but finding the money to purchase things has been a complete pain in the ass.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    What's a good way to make money? Right now I've done every single sidequest I can find, which usually only nets me 7,500 credits per side quest. That's like... nothing, when a single upgrade can cost 90,000 credits. I'm still doing the main storyline (just got the last member of the squad last night), but finding the money to purchase things has been a complete pain in the ass.

The best way to 'make money' is to make sure you get the discount at every single store. Should never pay 90k for anything. Discount drops it to 75, which is worth 2 side missions right there.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've gone back to replay ME1 as a paragon adept (my main game I imported into ME2 was an infiltrator renegade) and I have to say, even after freshly beating ME2 and immediately starting ME1 again, there are a lot of things about ME1 that I find insanely better than ME2. The loading times are a lot faster and in elevators I actually appreciate the loading a lot more because at least there is some discussion between party members, or a news reel or something whereas in ME2 you just sit and stare at the same loading screen over and over again.

I also have to say, even after comparing combat directly between ME1 and 2 multiple times now, I really think combat is a lot better in ME1. Crouching, no ammo (I much prefer the overheating system), the fact there isn't a global cooldown on abilities, etc, all make combat much faster and more dynamic to me. Also the abilities in ME1 just feel nicer. Even though in ME2 there are "theoretically" more abilities (although realistically not really since ammo abilities don't count IMO - I'd rather take the ammo slots from the equipment list in ME1 and not have to waste an ability on my ammo), each character in ME1 has way more "real" abilities and so there are far more options in combat. Combat actually gets my heart racing much more in ME1 than it did in ME2 at all.

Now, as far as things I'm now remembering I didn't like about ME1 at all - waiting for textures to slowly "pop in" every time a scene/screen changes is annoying. The Mako....I'm 50/50 on this - I actually like it but about 1/3-1/2 way through the game it starts to get old and boring - but definitely not as boring as scanning planets in ME2.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people are going to completely disagree with my statements in this post but I really feel that, overall, ME1 is a much better game and I hope they go back to some of the methods they used in ME1 instead of sticking with the ME2 method, for ME3.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    maerdredmaerdred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've never played either game, should I go through the first one first or can I just jump right into #2?

maerdred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    maerdred wrote: »
    I've never played either game, should I go through the first one first or can I just jump right into #2?

You CAN jump right into 2, but you're ME2 experience will be augmented by playing ME1 first. Also, if you play ME2 first, you'll probably diminish the ME1 experience if you ever decide to try it afterward.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Would strongly recommend going through the first one - there is so much story that is referenced in #2 that you might be confused/lost on. You can make a fast playthrough of #1 by skipping all side missions if you just want to get the main story. Also FWIW the first game is truly awesome (I liked it better than #2) and the graphics are almost as good as #2, so its definitely worth it.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bobble wrote: »
    The best way to 'make money' is to make sure you get the discount at every single store. Should never pay 90k for anything. Discount drops it to 75, which is worth 2 side missions right there.
    Can you really get a discount at every store ? Didn't have much luck with some of those asari.

Best way to make money is to do missions. If you've recruited every possible teammate, then get started on the loyalty quests and your wallet will fill up quickly.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Can you really get a discount at every store ? Didn't have much luck with some of those asari.

Best way to make money is to do missions. If you've recruited every possible teammate, then get started on the loyalty quests and your wallet will fill up quickly.

I was able to get a discount at every single store - I was a renegade though not sure if that matters.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes, but it's not crucial. ME2 is a far superior game in every area. Playing ME1 and importing your Shepard into ME2 will fill in a lot of the story details as well as generate many ME1-related easter eggs and character references and it definitely enhanced my ME2 experience but there are enough annoying mechanics in ME1 to make you appreciate the second game that much more.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mike99TA wrote: »

I was able to get a discount at every single store - I was a renegade though not sure if that matters.

There are a couple that are tricky.

The krogan scientist's shop can be tough to get if you're not renegade, and the Asari weapons store on Illium (by the computers you need to hack for Liara) is only possible if you have the Conrad Verner quest in the bar available.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes, but it's not crucial. ME2 is a far superior game in every area. Playing ME1 and importing your Shepard into ME2 will fill in a lot of the story details as well as generate many ME1-related easter eggs and character references and it definitely enhanced my ME2 experience but there are enough annoying mechanics in ME1 to make you appreciate the second game that much more.

I think the story in ME1 is better than ME2, so I wouldn't call it far superior in every area.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Some of them are a bit indirect, and one I can think of might get locked out under certain circumstances:
    Illium
    The weapon vendor in that back area of illium, if I recall I got a discount after chewing the asari out for playing with Conrad Verner's head. I'm wondering if a non-imported Shep has no option for a discount on this one?

edit- confirmed above. Anyway, one on Tuchunka didn't open up for me until completing Grunt's loyalty quest (Paragon playthru)

Bobble on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The best way to make money is to complete the game and start again

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    smof wrote: »
    The best way to make money is to complete the game and start again

To complete the game and import the ME1 character again, not play with the one you finished the game with*

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

I think the story in ME1 is better than ME2, so I wouldn't call it far superior in every area.

My comparison post got bottom of the page'd on the last page, but I personally found the story, combat, abilities, and loading times to be fairly superior in ME1 vs ME2 - overall I found ME1 to be the better game by a decent margin. Most of the things I liked more about ME2 were just bad programming that was fixed (like textures taking too long to load in while moving around, etc). I hope they re-use more of the ME1 stuff in ME3, instead of ME2.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

There are a couple that are tricky.

The krogan scientist's shop can be tough to get if you're not renegade, and the Asari weapons store on Illium (by the computers you need to hack for Liara) is only possible if you have the Conrad Verner quest in the bar available.
    I got the krogan scientist discount through grunts loyalty mission, is there another way?

Jakorian on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ohhh...thanks to whoever posted that infinite squad point glitch.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The game is so much better when you've got it loaded from a ME1 game. So much more stuff to see and you can tell the council off!

Why don't they let people make some start game decisions that would turn these options on? Like that whole question session in the beginning.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

If it's your first run you just won't have enough money for everything even with all the discounts you can get, so it's best to be selective and concentrate on your main team's weapon or power upgrades.

If it's not your first run you'll have enough money for everything without breaking a sweat.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    envoy1 wrote: »

If it's your first run you just won't have enough money for everything even with all the discounts you can get, so it's best to be selective and concentrate on your main team's weapon or power upgrades.

If it's not your first run you'll have enough money for everything without breaking a sweat.

Er... I imported my ME2 character from ME1 which got her some extra credits if that matters, but I was able to buy every single thing before I finished ME2, on my first playthrough, and I had like 150k left over.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I've done all of the loyalty quests for all of the characters, as well as all of the sidequests aside from some of the ones you find while scanning planets. I'm sitting on about 200k right now, but need a lot more than that if I'm going to buy all the upgrades available.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    The game is so much better when you've got it loaded from a ME1 game. So much more stuff to see and you can tell the council off!

Why don't they let people make some start game decisions that would turn these options on? Like that whole question session in the beginning.
    I think that the general theory was that not everyone who plays ME2 will necessarily have played ME1. So making a player who's new to the franchise sit through a lengthy interview, deciding how situations they weren't involved in were resolved or whether characters they've never heard of lived or died, didn't make much sense.

I suppose the thinking might also have gone that people who cared about those decisions would have saves to import so no worries, right? :P

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mass Effect 1 isn't made terrible by ME2s existence. And it's like 20 dollars. It's worth buying for that alone even if you never intend to play the second game. Get both from steam and play them in order.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I think that the general theory was that not everyone who plays ME2 will necessarily have played ME1. So making a player who's new to the franchise sit through a lengthy interview, deciding how situations they weren't involved in were resolved or whether characters they've never heard of lived or died, didn't make much sense.

I suppose the thinking might also have gone that people who cared about those decisions would have saves to import so no worries, right? :P

well at the least they could have let you choose a broadly Renegade or Paragon path.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

well at the least they could have let you choose a broadly Renegade or Paragon path.

Maybe even something that opens up with the Long Service Bonus, which, by the way, is such an awesome idea and I can't praise them enough for it. The bonus XP and pile of resources are :^:

Bobble on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I also have to say, even after comparing combat directly between ME1 and 2 multiple times now, I really think combat is a lot better in ME1. Crouching, no ammo (I much prefer the overheating system), the fact there isn't a global cooldown on abilities, etc, all make combat much faster and more dynamic to me. Also the abilities in ME1 just feel nicer. Even though in ME2 there are "theoretically" more abilities (although realistically not really since ammo abilities don't count IMO - I'd rather take the ammo slots from the equipment list in ME1 and not have to waste an ability on my ammo), each character in ME1 has way more "real" abilities and so there are far more options in combat. Combat actually gets my heart racing much more in ME1 than it did in ME2 at all.

no , mike! just no.

Other than that I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your post.

Egos on
  • Options
    TomInKoreaTomInKorea Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So the essence of humanity is a giant metal skeleton?

TomInKorea on
    92054393.jpg
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Absolutely play the 1st one before the 2nd. There are so many subtle and not so subtle nods to the first one it's insane. The first one is still a great game, and the 2nd one is just made better by knowing everyone and everything going on.

I don't think the opening scene of 2 will affect u worth a damn unless u play the 1st. And what a sad state if that opening scene doesn't affect you.
    TomInKorea wrote: »
    So the essence of humanity is a giant metal skeleton?
    That was just an Embryo. Not even close to fully formed, we have no idea what it would look like if it was left to consume thousands if not millions of more humans.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Finished my Insanity Run last night to net me 1015/1015 gamerscore, incredibly satisfying.

That last fight was tough until I realized
    The Baby Reaper Super Laser kills any and all collectors in it's path and Harbinger drops Heavy Weapon Ammo without fail

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Glad to see the goofy titles are back, but do we really have to go back to the same quotes from all-caps guy you've already used?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TomInKoreaTomInKorea Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just makes you feel bad that the essence of humanity isn't our ability to accept differences, adapt, make really really big explosions if necessary... it's that we have an internal skeleton. Shame.

TomInKorea on
    92054393.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Glad to see the goofy titles are back, but do we really have to go back to the same quotes from all-caps guy you've already used?

yes, did we use "Smell my greatness" yet?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dove, thanks for the proper OP. Those who have long load-time on dual-core PCs I recommend to re-set core affinity every time the start the game. It will save your life.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TomInKorea wrote: »
    Just makes you feel bad that the essence of humanity isn't our ability to accept differences, adapt, make really really big explosions if necessary... it's that we have an internal skeleton. Shame.

A) Spoilers
    B) Pretty sure that while the Reaper was supposed to be built absorbing the essence of humanity or using it or what have you, that doesn't mean that it was supposed to visually depict it. It's not a piece of art :P

Bobble on
This discussion has been closed.