As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White Man Declares Jihad on The IRS and Commits Terrorist Act

14567810»

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have another statement under that. Remember the Air Force photo-op in New York? Yes yes I know, people didn't riot or anything of the sort, but people sure as shit panicked.

What is wrong, exactly, with wanting to allow people some peace of mind, especially when a situation is not seen as the start of a long chain of events and was very localized and already done with?

Edit - Kal we got that "my dad is a hero" thing already. D:

Henroid on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Crazy is heriditary
    The daughter of the man who allegedly flew a plane into an IRS building in Austin, killing one person and injuring a dozen others, says her father is a hero because he stood up to the system.

"I think too many people lay around and wait for things to happen. But if nobody comes out and speaks up on behalf of injustice, then nothing will ever be accomplished," Samantha Bell told Good Morning America.

But Bell also called her father Joe Stack's alleged attack in Austin Friday "wrong" and "inappropriate," saying that "freedom of speech" would have been a more effective. Bell, 38, lives in Norway.

She changed her mind today, saying he was not in fact a hero.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

D'oh, knew I should have checked back more than one page.

KalTorak on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have another statement under that. Remember the Air Force photo-op in New York? Yes yes I know, people didn't riot or anything of the sort, but people sure as shit panicked.

What is wrong, exactly, with wanting to allow people some peace of mind, especially when a situation is not seen as the start of a long chain of events and was very localized and already done with?

That was overblown by the media because the media is largely centered in New York. If your definition of "sure as shit panicked" is people felt mildly uneasy for several minutes, then yes they panicked.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So did he actually own the plane or did he rent it from a club? Because if the latter, that sucks for every other member.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I heard he leased it.

Sir Carcass on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    No the scary part is that this guy is a fucking solider

Im telling you man, we need to raise standards right quick.

That's one of the soldiers in this group. Raising standards won't solve this at all. The most educated and best troops, especially in the more elite units tend to be right wingers.

Honestly this isn't all that shocking. Right wing organizations freak. Similar behavior happened with Clinton.

What are seeing now is the internet can be used for them to communicate well.

psychotix on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got any links with data showing us that the "most educated and best troops" are right-wingers?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would love an alternate history just for laughs/insight where during Bush's second term a bunch of soldiers formed a public group focused on arming themselves to resist Bush's inevitable martial law and hostile takeover of the country.

For some reason I don't think the Oath Keepers folks would have thought them patriots.

kildy on
    edited February 2010
    The November 14, 1997 Arizona Republic features an interesting article written by Wall Street Journal writer Thomas E. Ricks. The title of his piece is "Military is becoming more conservative, political." In it, Mr. Ricks makes his case by revealing that the ratio of conservatives to liberals in the military has grown from 4-1 in 1976 to 23-1 now. He says only 3% of senior military officers say they are even "somewhat liberal," compared with 27% for civilian elites. He calls the situation "acute." He says this situation "raises the potential for tension when the commander in chief isn’t perceived as equally conservative." I don’t necessarily disagree with the figures in Ricks’ article, though I would argue that from my experience as an officer, the reasons for this tendency generally are not well examined by Ricks.

It's only gotten worse since then. Information on this is just a google away. From the increasing conservatism, and the flat out dangerous evangelizing of people on military campuses.

psychotix on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crazy is heriditary
    The daughter of the man who allegedly flew a plane into an IRS building in Austin, killing one person and injuring a dozen others, says her father is a hero because he stood up to the system.

"I think too many people lay around and wait for things to happen. But if nobody comes out and speaks up on behalf of injustice, then nothing will ever be accomplished," Samantha Bell told Good Morning America.

But Bell also called her father Joe Stack's alleged attack in Austin Friday "wrong" and "inappropriate," saying that "freedom of speech" would have been a more effective. Bell, 38, lives in Norway.

Oh come ON. I think we're well past needing to include "allegedly" here.

kildy on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And the real depressing part of this is that it's a lose lose situation for anyone with a hint of sanity or who isn't racist as fuck.

If some horrific catastrophe happens that nearly destroys the country, forcing martial law to be imposed, at least some of those jackasses will be out on the streets gunning down cops and government workers who are trying to help civilians, all for being "traitors" in their eyes.

If it doesn't happen, and history and statistical odds say it won't, that sort of asshole will pat himself on the back and think that he and his fellow brothers in arms were responsible for "scaring Obama straight".

Then, the next time a Democrat gets elected after the people elect in a morally dubious Republican who fucks something up (Most likely the economy given our track record so far.), the cycle will begin all over again, with ignorant voters blaming the Democrat for the Republican's decision's instead. Which ultimately begins the cycle of stupidity and ignorance all over again.

Archonex on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Archonex wrote: »

And the real depressing part of this is that it's a lose lose situation for anyone with a hint of sanity or who isn't racist as fuck.

If some horrific catastrophe happens that nearly destroys the country, forcing martial law to be imposed, at least some of those jackasses will be out on the streets gunning down cops and government workers who are trying to help civilians, all for being "traitors" in their eyes.

If it doesn't happen, and history and statistical odds say it won't, that sort of asshole will pat himself on the back and think that he and his fellow brothers in arms were responsible for "scaring Obama straight".

Thankfully these assholes are in the extreme minority, and the soldiers will still probably follow orders even if they're nuts

override367 on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    So did he actually own the plane or did he rent it from a club? Because if the latter, that sucks for every other member.

The poor put upon guy owned two private planes and sent $250 a month to keep them at the airport. The other plane (Velocity Elite XL-RG) seems to sell for 150-230K.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited February 2010
    kildy wrote: »
    I would love an alternate history just for laughs/insight where during Bush's second term a bunch of soldiers formed a public group focused on arming themselves to resist Bush's inevitable martial law and hostile takeover of the country.

For some reason I don't think the Oath Keepers folks would have thought them patriots.

Swap Bush with Republican or Conservative.

psychotix on
  • Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One of his fellow Oath Keepers, a former infantryman, advised me to prepare a "bug out" bag with 39 items including gas masks, ammo, and water purification tablets, so that I'd be ready to go "when the shit hits the fan."

The irony here being that the most realistic reason someone would need a "bug out" bag is because one of these fringe groups launched an attack. I worry more about them than anything coming in from abroad.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One of his fellow Oath Keepers, a former infantryman, advised me to prepare a "bug out" bag with 39 items including gas masks, ammo, and water purification tablets, so that I'd be ready to go "when the shit hits the fan."

The irony here being that the most realistic reason someone would need a "bug out" bag is because one of these fringe groups launched an attack. I worry more about them than anything coming in from abroad.

Maybe this is all how other people feel when nerds talk about zombie invasions. Except instead of computers they have real guns?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    kildy wrote: »
    Crazy is heriditary

Oh come ON. I think we're well past needing to include "allegedly" here.

It has to do with the law and impending investigation. They could realistically be sued by surviving members of the family until the investigation is complete if they don't say allegedly.

Fencingsax on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If I were this guy, I'd be rolling over in my grave that the world continues on as it was despite my self-imposed martyrdom which only garnered a brief amount of attention.

Henroid on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If I were this guy, I'd be rolling over in my grave that the world continues on as it was despite my self-imposed martyrdom which only garnered a brief amount of attention.

Seriously, is there some "crazy white terrorist of the week" club that I'm unaware of? These guys are really stealing each others' thunder.

KalTorak on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

god dammit

I gotta go buy some guns and some ammo and about 37 other items

nescientist on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Seriously, is there some "crazy white terrorist of the week" club that I'm unaware of? These guys are really stealing each others' thunder.

No, but there's a lot of people pissed at the powerful for fucking up so utterly and completely and being utterly remorseless about it. When that's combined with a history of mental illness and easy access to weaponry...

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited March 2010

No, but there's a lot of people pissed at the powerful for fucking up so utterly and completely and being utterly remorseless about it. When that's combined with a history of mental illness and easy access to weaponry...

Yeah, those guys at The Powerful & Co. deserve a serious beating.

KalTorak on