As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a specific ipod car adapter.

BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
I've purchased a really nice model specific car mount for my ipod touch and I want to keep the install really clean.

I'm looking for an adapter that will allow me charge the ipod with a 12v DC power source and also include the stereo output to connect through the aux input of my stereo with just the one plug that connects to the bottom of the ipod. I know it can be done because all the little docks you can buy out there can do it through just the one connection.

If it has an actual cigarette lighter adapter and the 3.5mm phono plug on it, that's fine, I can cut and splice and make it work. I just don't want all the extra wires hanging around everywhere.

Would be nice if I could just buy the connector with a diagram of the pinouts so I could make my own, though.

XdDBi4F.jpg
PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
Beltaine on

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can definitely build one from that, thanks!

Now I just need to source the actual connector.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You can get a USB cable with an iPod plug for a buck fifty on Monoprice.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    You can get a USB cable with an iPod plug for a buck fifty on Monoprice.

Probably (check that, definitely) will not have the audio out leads, though...and trying to splice that into the connector somehow would wind up being a mess.

You're better off using some kind of "full" iPod cable (including the audio output leads) and building it from that. Maybe something from a docking-style device? Or from one of the cheaper FM adapters out there? Those should have both the power leads and audio leads present.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or I can take the three seconds to run a search on monoprice, and find this. Sometimes I forget to actually check, and just assume they won't have what I'm looking for. And I'm nearly always wrong.

5V regulator for power and an extension cable for that and the audio, and you should be just fine.

EDIT: God, I paid $50 for a Griffin Power/AUX adapter, that thing runs $4 (and add a $5 cigarette->USB charger and you're done). Then again, I was driving across the middle of Idaho and my FM adapter was failing, so desperate times and all. And my adapter has the Play/Pause/Skip controls right on the lighter thingy, which is kinda spiffy I guess. But not $40 of spiffy.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    EDIT: God, I paid $50 for a Griffin Power/AUX adapter, that thing runs $4 (and add a $5 cigarette->USB charger and you're done).

I feel your pain. I praise the virtues of monoprice any chance I get and I still end up doing what you did. Paid $20 for a cassette audio adapter at Best Buy before thinking to check monoprice. Their price? $1.63 Oy.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    EDIT: God, I paid $50 for a Griffin Power/AUX adapter, that thing runs $4 (and add a $5 cigarette->USB charger and you're done).

I feel your pain. I praise the virtues of monoprice any chance I get and I still end up doing what you did. Paid $20 for a cassette audio adapter at Best Buy before thinking to check monoprice. Their price? $1.63 Oy.

If it makes you feel any better, the cassette adapter I bought from monoprice was pretty shitty and kept cutting in and out.

On the other hand, there's a chance I just got an odd crappy part and could have bought 10 of them, used the best one, and still come out on top of $20.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looks like a firewire version of that USB/Audio cable would be the trick since firewire is 12v.

Or I could reverse engineer one of those cigarette adapter to USB chargers.

Want to hardwire it all in so it's clean.

Although I've read in some places that the newest ipods don't like generic chargers?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The iPhone 3G and 3GS only support USB charging, not Firewire like the Edge iPhone. I'm not sure whether or not the change applies to the Touch.

wonderpug on