As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RRoD Options?

Nohbody8Nohbody8 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
So I guess the awesome factor of Mass Effect 2 was outside the system specs of my 360 'cause it red ringed on me. The warranty on my Elite conveniently, or inconveniently depending on your perspective, expired a few months before this incident. As a result, I'm not all that eager to blindly hand Microsoft $100 to fix a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. What are my options? Seeing as how the warranty is already expired, I'm not afraid to get in there to fix it myself if that's possible. Given proper instructions and tools, I'm pretty sure I could fix it myself. I just don't know where to get legit instructions that I don't have to worry were put up there by some d-bag who wanted to trick people into bricking their consoles. Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

EDIT: Completely forgot to throw this in. I've only seen the actual RRoD once. The first time something even appeared wrong, my picture just simply cut out with no RRoD. Then, while I was trying to turn it back on and get back into ME2, the picture had some funky pixelation and it froze. This was when I saw the RRoD. Now, all it seems to do is freeze and put some weird pixels on the screen with no RRoD. Is one instance of RRoD enough to confirm that it's a definite overheating problem?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "We're the middle children of history, man."
Nohbody8 on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    The Elite wasn't released in America until April 2007, so it should still be under the 3-year warranty for this.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes call them up and ask them personally. My 1year warranty had expired according the site but they have a 3year warranty in place for this issue.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Nohbody8Nohbody8 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Elite wasn't released in America until April 2007, so it should still be under the 3-year warranty for this.

That's what I thought but the website was telling me that the warranty had expired. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nohbody8 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "We're the middle children of history, man."
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The website told me my warranty had expired but they fixed it for free anyway.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Your parts and service warranty expired, but the E74 and red ring warranty is good for three years since the time you bought it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DramatiesDramaties Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If your warranty is over, you can easily fix it yourself for a buck or 3. I saved my own box 2 times already. Tons of guides on the world wide web for your convenience.

Dramaties on
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yes I just did this a few weeks ago. the website seems to only list the initial 1 year warranty, I called and told them the date of my xbox 360 purchase, and it was within the 3 year warranty. so presto a good as new xbox 360. I also couldn't get the website to work at all for myself it was just easier to call. It's worth it to call and see if its covered anyways.

breton-brawler on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hear people go to Wal Mart, buy new ones, put the RRODed ones in the box, and take it back to the store the next day, get the refund.

I don't live in the US, and don't own an Xbox, and I don't know the US laws, but I'm sure the above is illegal, nor am I telling you that you should do it. Just saying I've seen people write they've done it, and seems to be one of the options since we're on the topic.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dramaties wrote: »
    If your warranty is over, you can easily fix it yourself for a buck or 3. I saved my own box 2 times already. Tons of guides on the world wide web for your convenience.

The goal is to get a fix that is permanent. The self-fixes generally don't last long.

BlackDove wrote: »
    I hear people go to Wal Mart, buy new ones, put the RRODed ones in the box, and take it back to the store the next day, get the refund.

I don't live in the US, and don't own an Xbox, and I don't know the US laws, but I'm sure the above is illegal, nor am I telling you that you should do it. Just saying I've seen people write they've done it, and seems to be one of the options since we're on the topic.

It is illegal, and on a side note I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work, since retailers scan serial numbers as part of the sales process, so the one on the system and the one on the box won't match. I'm pretty sure that most big retailers started doing that for the PS2 DRE fiasco, and then the rest started once they started getting shitloads of exchanges for the defective first run 360s.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, that's scummy as hell to stick some other poor sucker with your problem like that.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »

Even setting aside the fact that this is fraud and illegal, most stores scan not only the UPC on the box, but also the serial number on the physical console (through the window in the box), which obviously wouldn't match if you tried to return it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg