As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    Do you guys recommend getting the protective screen cover for the Droid? Is it necessary? I've seen a few Youtube videos of guys going at them with keys, but... you know. The internets.

i bought my droid in the store and the dude just offered to throw one on right there, so I got it
    there's a very tiny scratch in the middle whose origins i am unsure of, but aside from that it's kept in great condition. i'm super careful about my phone to begin with though.
    i'd recommend one if you keep it in a pocket with anything else in there. it's not much danger, but something could happen to it eventually. and it's such a gigantic and awesome screen.

also, has anyone seen the new gallery for android 2.1? it's freaking awesome

Snork on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Apparently Droids are built using Gorilla Glass, so a screen protector evidently isn't necessary. YMMV, though.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think my screen looks cleaner since taking the protector off. The protector picked up a lot of minor scratches, where as, the bare screen (after 2 months w/o protector) still looks perfect.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Droid was just recently released in Canada on Telus. $199 for a 3-year contract in keeping with the iPhone's pricing. Plans start at $50/month.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I didn't bother with a screen protector and haven't had any problems yet. Had it since release.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How should I go about rooting my droid? Is there a really painless way to do it?

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rooting is pretty painless: http://rootyourdroid.info/start-here/

The thing is, to do anything other than install a handful of root-only apps, you need to know your way around a command line.

Mustachio Jones on
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangit, that promo code doesn't work anymore. How'd you come across that, anyway?

rndmhero on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Dangit, that promo code doesn't work anymore. How'd you come across that, anyway?

The DROID35 code? I saw it on slickdeals.net, a site that posts quality promo codes, deals, rebates, etc.

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »

The DROID35 code? I saw it on slickdeals.net, a site that posts quality promo codes, deals, rebates, etc.

Huh, and it looks like that guy just got it as a thank-you promo for ordering a Droid online. Well, I guess I'll keep my eyes open, since I'm going to be kicking myself for missing that.

rndmhero on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey I've got a weird prob with my Milestone/Droid and I'm wondering if anyone here knows the answer:

The browser dies with https connections. It just shows a blank screen. This basically means I can't log into anything. Opera Mini works, Dolphin does not and neither does the stock browser.

Has anyone else had this problem? How to fix?

theSquid on
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, now Amazon has the Droid for $50 with a 2 year contract. I was going to set myself and the wife up today by going into Verizon. I'm a little sketchy about doing the Droid thing online... I'm switching over from Sprint, and I'm not sure if they handle changing the phone number between carriers online or if I would have to go into Verizon to get that done.

To save another $100 it's worth looking into. $100 for TWO Droids? Has the world gone topsy turvy?

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    Damn, $50. Where my iPhone-esque rebate for being an early adopter?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I got a new droid today because I was having problems with my wifi and got a replacement. What was happening was my coworker could get almost full bars at work on his droid for the wifi and I was either getting the dot or nothing at all. Two droids right next to each other, drastically different wifi strength. Brought my replacement in today, same dame problem.

Coworker plays around with it. Instead of just selecting the wifi from networks the phone can see, he types in the network name. Full bars. Wtf? Anyways, if you are having problems with wifi, try manually adding the network and see if you get better signal reception, worked for me.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, now Amazon has the Droid for $50 with a 2 year contract. I was going to set myself and the wife up today by going into Verizon. I'm a little sketchy about doing the Droid thing online... I'm switching over from Sprint, and I'm not sure if they handle changing the phone number between carriers online or if I would have to go into Verizon to get that done.

To save another $100 it's worth looking into. $100 for TWO Droids? Has the world gone topsy turvy?

You can port numbers through Amazon no problem (at least the main number, don't know about family plans). Even if they only do the one number, it's still $200 less than you'd pay at Verizon.

a5ehren on
    edited February 2010

Dammit, Verizon. So my contract's not up until May, but they sent me an offer stating that I can upgrade this month as part of a promotion. I can walk into any Verizon store and do so, and I can walk through the checkout process on verizonwireless.com and am, indeed, eligible to upgrade. However, when I try and complete the deal through Amazon, it gets bounced back from Verizon as not eligible to upgrade. I tried calling Verizon, and I got some girl who had no idea what I was talking about and eventually settled on some blanket response that Verizon's upgrade is only available through Verizon :evil:

rndmhero on
    edited February 2010
    Well, wife and I are out the door with an amazon printout to see if they'll match in store. She read that if you're nice, depending on the person they'll play ball. We'll see how it turns out.

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    Well, wife and I are out the door with an amazon printout to see if they'll match in store. She read that if you're nice, depending on the person they'll play ball. We'll see how it turns out.

Good luck man, and let me know how it works out. I'd really, really love to be able to get in on this price.

rndmhero on
    edited February 2010
    Long story short, no they wouldn't haggle down. At least, the somewhat stuck up saleslady I dealt with wouldn't. I have a corporate discount that waives activation fees, and she claimed Amazon wouldn't honor that, yada yada yada, we got the double Droids for $199.

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    Sigh... I work in engineering and spend 95% of my day in a bunker-like control room with no windows.

In said control room I apparently don't have 3G coverage/internet access. FML

Michael H on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That is the saddest.

JAEF on
    edited February 2010
    No wifi either? How 20th century.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Wireless network is locked pretty hardcore, though obviously I have access to the web via my computer. Still, not being able to use my awesome new smart phone as it's intended 8 hours of the day is pretty damned depressing.

Michael H on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok I don't know if I've posted about this before but I'm having some trouble saving contacts on my Droid.

Whenever I save a contact, it saves it as a Google contact, but doesn't actually show the person in my contacts book. So if I want to send them a text or call them, I either have to manually type their number in, or I have to get it from a text or call they've given me.

This problem occurs if I save a new number, if I save the number from a text message, or if I save the number from that person calling me. So basically, I get this problem no matter what I do to input the number.

I've tried going under Settings > Accounts and Sync > Google account and making sure the "Sync Google contacts" box is checked. I've tried NOT saving them as a google contact but there's no way to change that. I've tried joining the google contact with their other contact info - from Facebook - but that still doesn't make them show up in my contacts.

Any ideas? I don't want to have to take it in to Verizon but I might have to. :(

Spacemilk on
    edited February 2010
    Try going to Gmail (on a normal computer) and go to Contacts.

There's actually two groups - the default group is "My Contacts", but there's also another group that says "All Contacts". You can try going into "All Contacts" and then checking the addresses that you frequently use and then click on "Move to My Contacts".

I'm not sure why it defaults them to My Contacts over All Contacts, but the list I have on my Droid is only the "My Contacts" group.

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    Postin from my droid. Coworkers droid gets the web in my work area; going to verizon tonight to see what's up.

Michael H on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Any ideas? I don't want to have to take it in to Verizon but I might have to. :(

Spacemilk - I had the same problem in the past, unless I'm misreading. I was trying to add someone's number to my contacts after having the phone for a month and for some reason I just couldn't get it to show up in the contacts list. I don't ever use gmail, so I wasn't sure exactly what to do, and I ended up fiddling with settings in the contacts list. Here's what I have set up right now, and it finally works:

Under accounts, I have Facebook sync ON (so that when I add contacts to my list it auto-pulls some of their info and their picture). GMail sync is OFF. Dunno if you use GMail, but I don't.

Then, under Display Options in contacts (hitting the menu button), I have everything checked under Google and NOTHING checked under Facebook. So. It won't pull alllllll of my Facebook friends, but the ones who I put in there are sync'd... and now it works. I think maybe I didn't have all of those Google boxes checked before in Display Options?

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited February 2010
    It's kinda a pain to set up and the controls are kinda wonky, but damn if this aint cool

Quake3 on the Droid

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so i've been having this really irritating issue
    of all the music that i keep on my droid, about 95% of it shows the album art for the music in question just fine.
    there are three albums, however, that just show the stock 'no art' cd image or whatever. this annoys the living hell out of me. a search of the interwebs has revealed that one cause of this issue could be that the droid music player reads albums art tagged to the actual file itself and not just stored in the folder like itunes does, so I got Mediamonkey and tried to fix that. It didn't work, and for some reason these three albums just will not show the art in my music app. they're all mp3s, so I don't know what the deal is and would really like to. I only found one other instance of this problem online, and the guy didn't fix it he just had to reformat his sd card for other reasons and the problem went away. i'd obviously like to not have to do that

Snork on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's kinda a pain to set up and the controls are kinda wonky, but damn if this aint cool

Quake3 on the Droid

That's really cool, I'm working on getting it set up now for nothing more then kicks.

Anon the Felon on
  • lunarislunaris Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so if i were to start a verizon account... should i wait for nexus one to drop or go with the droid?

it would probably be what, 150 cheaper to get a droid (through amazon)? hmm

lunaris on
  • AlwaysNewDepthsAlwaysNewDepths Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    lunaris wrote: »
    so if i were to start a verizon account... should i wait for nexus one to drop or go with the droid?

it would probably be what, 150 cheaper to get a droid (through amazon)? hmm

Well the Nexus One is rumored to come out on March 23 for Verizon.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/google039s-nexus-one-coming-to-verizon-on-march-23

AlwaysNewDepths on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Quake3 on the Droid

That's really cool, I'm working on getting it set up now for nothing more then kicks.

I cant get it to download the demo files :/

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited February 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »

Quake3 on the Droid

I cant get it to download the demo files :/

I dl'd and installed the 3q demo from id and then Arena 1.32. You get pak0.pk3 from the demo, and pak1-8 from Arena

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, so I jumped in whole hog and just bought one of these puppies

It's sweet so far...I've never had a Iphone before, so it's kinda cool/wierd to be able to get anything on my phone. However, I am kinda confused about a few things

1. It comes with Facebook pre-installed...which is nice, except I don't have a Facebook account, don't want a Facebook account, don't need a Facebook account, hate the thought of Facebook with a passion and want ti gone. Is it possible to uninstall the facebook application, or otherwise disappear it?

2. I can't get my yahoo e-mail account to synch with the phone. I heard it's a pain to do so, and it may move me to join the 21st centruy and use the gmail account, but is there a workaround to getting a yahoo e-mail account to work?

3. Best apps...I downloaded Geodelic for finding stuff around town, Advance Task Killer Free to kill apps I'm not currently using to save battery/memory, Pandora radio for music and that's it...again, I've never had a smartphone, so I'm interested in recommendations. Any must have apps or things that'll knock my socks off would be appricated. I'm working my way through the thread, but it's slow going

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited March 2010
    Ok, so I jumped in whole hog and just bought one of these puppies

It's sweet so far...I've never had a Iphone before, so it's kinda cool/wierd to be able to get anything on my phone. However, I am kinda confused about a few things

1. It comes with Facebook pre-installed...which is nice, except I don't have a Facebook account, don't want a Facebook account, don't need a Facebook account, hate the thought of Facebook with a passion and want ti gone. Is it possible to uninstall the facebook application, or otherwise disappear it?
    settings manage apps then click on facebook and un install
    I think that should work
    2. I can't get my yahoo e-mail account to synch with the phone. I heard it's a pain to do so, and it may move me to join the 21st centruy and use the gmail account, but is there a workaround to getting a yahoo e-mail account to work?
    you can trick the email prog to access yahoo but it only works over verizon not over wifi.
    3. Be st apps...I downloaded Geodelic for finding stuff around town, Advance Task Killer Free to kill apps I'm not currently using to save battery/memory, Pandora radio for music and that's it...again, I've never had a smartphone, so I'm interested in recommendations. Any must have apps or things that'll knock my socks off would be appricated. I'm working my way through the thread, but it's slow going

you may also want to check out droid light, I heart radio, and pda net

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    settings manage apps then click on facebook and un install
    I think that should work

I tried it, and it's not listed as an application.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can't remove preinstalled apps unless you root the phone.

JAEF on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you can remove the shortcut on the phone though by just holding it and dragging it to the trash at the bottom... that'll take it off of your main screen so you can replace it with something else

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I did the amazon $50 deal. Got the phone, and just had the best customer service interaction ever.

While activating the phone it took me to talk to a rep, who told me what to do. After the phone activates he calls me back to make sure things are working correctly then asks if I'm in the military.

"Yes."

"Why aren't you getting the discount?"

"I wasn't aware there was a discount."

And then he walks me through getting the %15 military discount for the service. Most excellent.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant