As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grumpy Old Men, Get your [Grump] On.

• ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Pfffft. Kids today do not know good music.

<---- Millennial who listens almost exclusively to music from the 60's and 70's.

There were a couple of good pieces, such as American Pie, but modern indie tends to be better because most popular band know how to sing.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

<---- Millennial who listens almost exclusively to music from the 60's and 70's.

There were a couple of good pieces, such as American Pie, but modern indie tends to be better because most popular band know how to sing.
    This is only a good thing if what they're singing isn't shit.

Dylan couldn't carry a tune in a bag on his best day, but I'd rather listen to him than the vast majority of the stuff made in the last decade.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2010
    If you're going to bash The Beatles at least get their name right.

I'll get their name right when they start singing in tune.
    Why not just put them through autotune like they do with this new crop of talentholes?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Autotune...I can't listen to most crap anymore.

Lady Gaga is the exception...she's my guilty pleasure.

I'm 29...we didn't really have cell phones in high school. I really can't stand how much people are on their phones all the time. Always texting someone, doing something....heaven forbid they just talk to a human being in person.

And slightly related: The grammar of most high school students and young adults. Arg.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All the bands I like break up before I get to see them.

Ugh.

Although I got to see Radiohead and that'll probably hold me for another 10 years.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited February 2010
    Heir wrote: »
    Autotune...I can't listen to most crap anymore.

Lady Gaga is the exception...she's my guilty pleasure.

I'm 29...we didn't really have cell phones in high school. I really can't stand how much people are on their phones all the time. Always texting someone, doing something....heaven forbid they just talk to a human being in person.

And slightly related: The grammar of most high school students and young adults. Arg.

I don't see what's wrong with my grammar. In fact, I've gone off at several forum members for bad grammar.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »

Ugh.

Although I got to see Radiohead and that'll probably hold me for another 10 years.
    I don't know if still having the opportunity to see the Stones live makes me less sad at their current state.

OptimusZed on

edited February 2010
    You know if we're talking about transit, the TTC is a bunch of silly, silly geese.

They make this failbarn new subway line where nobody wanted it (if you want to be a silly goose you could say it was to raise property values for certain people) then get all surprised when it doesn't pack people in. They're constantly raising the ticket prices without bettering service IN ANY WAY, and they run these submoronic ads that pimp their drivers as superheroes because one of them called the cops when he saw a lost child or some other nonsense.

The feds are the silliest gooses of all for not giving them decent financial support.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1330

All about Penn State and partying.

I'm a year and a half out of college and already I hate goddamn college kids.

I hate college kids, and I'm in college. I'm so glad I went through my binge drinking phase during high school.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited February 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Ugh.

I don't know if still having the opportunity to see the Stones live makes me less sad at their current state.

There actually a bonus level in the latest Left For Dead where you fight them.
    ronnie_wood_5433032.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    When did the Rolling Stones start dressing like scene kids?

Page- on
    stream
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I hate you

Current grump?
    Every fucking stupid annoying pre-med in this graduate class. I cannot believe how annoying and bitchy they can be when they're in graduate school...

"Do we have to know every transcription factor that regulates development in B-Cell?"

Blank stare from professor

"Like, there's a lot"

Blank stare followed by "Yes."

But my favorite?

"Is there any way you can move the exam back a week? We have 3 (or 4) exams that week and it's just a lot"

- the same kids with aspirations of going into medical school which has block scheduling with 5 exams in one week -

I mean really

REALLY?!

I've lost my patience with them at this point....and want to throw a book at them.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Ugh.

I hate you

Current grump?
    Every fucking stupid annoying pre-med in this graduate class. I cannot believe how annoying and bitchy they can be when they're in graduate school...

"Do we have to know every transcription factor that regulates development in B-Cell?"

"Like, there's a lot"

But my favorite?

"Is there any way you can move the exam back a week? We have 3 (or 4) exams that week and it's just a lot"

- the same kids with aspirations of going into medical school which has block scheduling with 5 exams in one week -

I mean really

REALLY?!

I've lost my patience with them at this point....and want to throw a book at them.

Oh, I know, it's drives me crazy to no end people who try to postpone exams and term papers that they've known about since the beginning of the semester. Just do the work and get over it...

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I hate you

Current grump?

"Like, there's a lot"

But my favorite?

I mean really

REALLY?!

Why would you have to memorize that? That's what reference books and the google are for.

I doubt anybody told them about med school, and you can't say having that many tests at one time is even close to good planning, especially given how reliant many classes are on the latest materiel for tests.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I hate you

Current grump?

"Like, there's a lot"

But my favorite?

I mean really

REALLY?!

Why would you have to memorize that? That's what reference books and the google are for.

I doubt anybody told them about med school, and you can't say having that many tests at one time is even close to good planning, especially given how reliant many classes are on the latest materiel for tests.
    No, memorizing transcription factors is pretty much the majority factor in development of anything from a molecular biology standpoint. Maybe in Med School it isn't so important, but graduate level biology is ALL ABOUT transcription factors and signal transduction mechanisms. It's second nature to me at this point and isn't really that much of a nuance.

And in regards to "good planning", it is. Trust me. People may not see it, but having exams structured around the same time for all students ends up helping everyone. If we're all taking 5 exams in 1 week, and the scoring is relative (read - curved), then it's not necessarily going to be to anyone's advantage/disadvantage. You're all on equal playing fields. Not to mention you don't have to worry about catching up with other classes. It's tiring, yes, but it puts everyone on an equal playing field.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    -

Andrew_Jay on
    edited February 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

Dylan couldn't carry a tune in a bag on his best day, but I'd rather listen to him than the vast majority of the stuff made in the last decade.
    Don't be one of those guys (because I used to be one of those guys).

I love me some Bob Dylan and a bunch of other stuff from back then too, but don't miss out on what's happening right now in your own generation by living in the past.

Sure, a lot of music today is awful, but that's mainly just the Top-40 format which has almost always been awful (though even there you'll find the odd diamond amongst the dreck). Check out an alternative/new music station on the radio or online.

I agree. After getting a Zune pass (and I'm not advertising), I've finally been able to find good bands from todays generation. It's difficult, but also greatly rewarding, because I'd otherwise tire of listening to the same bands over and over for the next 20 years.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I hate you

Current grump?

"Like, there's a lot"

But my favorite?

I mean really

REALLY?!

No, memorizing transcription factors is pretty much the majority factor in development of anything from a molecular biology standpoint. Maybe in Med School it isn't so important, but graduate level biology is ALL ABOUT transcription factors and signal transduction mechanisms. It's second nature to me at this point and isn't really that much of a nuance.

And in regards to "good planning", it is. Trust me. People may not see it, but having exams structured around the same time for all students ends up helping everyone. If we're all taking 5 exams in 1 week, and the scoring is relative (read - curved), then it's not necessarily going to be to anyone's advantage/disadvantage. You're all on equal playing fields. Not to mention you don't have to worry about catching up with other classes. It's tiring, yes, but it puts everyone on an equal playing field.

How would those transcription factors by heart help a doctor? You know, what they're generally training to be.

I fail to see how that justifies scheduling every class on the same test schedule? I fail to see how having my orgo, orgo lab, cell bio, bio lab, and evolution test in one week (I actually had two consecutive test followed by another class, so that I couldn't even take the time accommodation I qualify for) is in any way conductive to acquiring the information presented in those classes.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My avatar approves of this thread.

On the topic of cell phones and public transportation. I commute by bus 30 min every day to work at around 7 am. Most people would take the chance to get 30 min more sleep. But there's always at least one fuc...err lady goose, on each bus that picks up their phone and calls someone who is probably also commuting, to chat for 30 min and kill time. There are 40 people on this bus but you think it's all right to keep them all awake with your weekend anecdotes and bitching about shoes?

Bonus points when they cannot hear over the engine and compensate by screaming themselves instead of just increasing the volume.

Movitz on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    The pants kids wear today are not the pants I wore when I was their age.

Now I am told that i need to wear pants that are similar to the pants which are now fashionable.

This is not how I want it to be.

_J_ on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Ugh.

I hate you

Current grump?

"Like, there's a lot"

But my favorite?

I mean really

REALLY?!

How would those transcription factors by heart help a doctor? You know, what they're generally training to be.

In my experience college just forces you to learn these things by heart so that you remember them. You will forget the specifics of it but you'll remember that they exist for the rest of your life and know where to look them up.

I don't know how many dumbass chemical structures of amino acids, nucleotide derivatives and metabolic pathways I've memorized. It's just common knowledge in my line of work

Movitz on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When did the Rolling Stones start dressing like scene kids?

I think scene kids started dressing like the stones.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a slow leak in my washing machine and I can't find where it is

seriously is it that hard to waterproof a damn cylinder

also my knee hurts

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to college at 23. I have to take Freshman level Spanish.

Everything that anyone under born after 1990 has said out loud makes me want to punch their mothers, right in the babymakers. Also the father's. Hell, Grandma too.

Also texting. There's a sign in the classrooms that says no texting or phonecalls in this building during class periods. I overheard a five minute call about texting. I didn't know which to laugh or cry about, the girls obliviousness or the absolute futility of the poor Xeroxed and shittily laminated piece of paper.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    I find the most annoying thing these day to be TV shows of middle-aged men whining about the state of the world while apparently taking no responsibility for the fact that they're the exact type of person who's been running it and who have made things this way.

Grumpy old men make me a grumpy old man.

Bogart on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DHS wrote: »
    Also texting. There's a sign in the classrooms that says no texting or phonecalls in this building during class periods. I overheard a five minute call about texting. I didn't know which to laugh or cry about, the girls obliviousness or the absolute futility of the poor Xeroxed and shittily laminated piece of paper.

I have a prof who throws things at students that she catches texting.

If you really need to text or make a call, excuse yourself from the classroom.

James on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I fucking hate BC Ferries. Anyone who is frequently travelling between Vancouver Island and Vancouver feels this way.

Translink can also be a silly goose, but they're getting better. The recent Translink tax increase on parking is retarded, though.

James on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey, our silly goose public transport body is called translink too, who knew

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God-bloody-damnit I am sick of people calling my home phone, hanging up just as I press the pick up button, and then when I try to 1471 them (call-return for the UK), they have their answer machine on.

If I missed the fecking call and try to call you back the least you could do is pick up the phone, you silly, silly goose, but no, you've just wasted both our time on a call that probably wasn't important in the first place. Bravo.

Dunxco on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll tell you what annoys me.

English girls. They are fucking mental, the lot of them. Have you seen them drink? Their rooms? The kitchen after they've cooked?

Every stereotype about university boys being smelly and messy and drunks is fucking bullshit, because the girls are just as bad and in some cases worse.

Also.

Something that annoys me: A design student is dyslexic. So they get £4,000 worth of Macs, digital recorders, keyboards, mouse, laptop lock, tutoring and extra lessons.

Except the student does no fucking work, and tells me "Finally, I can get into my DJ'ing again" right after having failed their first semester OF FUCKING GRAPHICS DESIGN.

Cristo on
  • SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Its a hard life colouring in every day for 3 years...

Spindizzy on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spindizzy wrote: »
    Its a hard life colouring in every day for 3 years...

£4,000 for dyslexia in a subject where they've had to write one 1,000 word essay in the last 5 months?

I don't know, it seems a bit excessive. And I know of 3 other examples.

I hate when people take advantage of the government like that.

Cristo on
    edited February 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

Don't be one of those guys (because I used to be one of those guys).

I love me some Bob Dylan and a bunch of other stuff from back then too, but don't miss out on what's happening right now in your own generation by living in the past.

Sure, a lot of music today is awful, but that's mainly just the Top-40 format which has almost always been awful (though even there you'll find the odd diamond amongst the dreck). Check out an alternative/new music station on the radio or online.
    I don't have Rhapsody anymore, but I did for the 3+ years I worked at a computer for 11 hours a day. I'm not unfamiliar with the bands of today. I know there's some good stuff out there (though I would probably disagree with most about what it is).

I was mostly just getting into character. :P

OptimusZed on

edited February 2010

Ugh.

I hate you

Current grump?

"Like, there's a lot"

But my favorite?

I mean really

REALLY?!

I fail to see how that justifies scheduling every class on the same test schedule? I fail to see how having my orgo, orgo lab, cell bio, bio lab, and evolution test in one week (I actually had two consecutive test followed by another class, so that I couldn't even take the time accommodation I qualify for) is in any way conductive to acquiring the information presented in those classes.

It's an advanced class teaching you cell development. I mean, I don't know how to explain it to you better. Not to mention how important it is IS to know this shit when you're a doctor (How the fuck do you think medications work?).

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If TV hospital dramas have taught me one thing, it's that occasionally it's a good thing for a doctor to know his shit fast.

KalTorak on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why do kids need cell phones grumble grumble.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of the chilluns, where the fuck did the phrase "just kidding" come from? Whenever kids in their late-teens/early-twenties fuck up or make a mistake they say this, I want to kick them in the chest. Oddly it seems to be mostly something girls say.

Also, deowolf, I am right there with you on pointing toy guns. I know grown adults who do that, and even when it's something trivial like a bubble-blower or a laser pen, they get offended when I disarm them and tell them never to point objects at a person's head or chest like that.

Octoparrot on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Worse than "just kidding" is the little shits who take it all the way down to, "JK, JK." One of the little twerps working on one of my campaigns would do that all the time, and it drove me insane.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wow, I can't stop thinking of examples of how horribly, horribly wrong you are.

And hey, it's a thread custom-made for me and my avatar! :P

Lawndart on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    -

Andrew_Jay on