As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know I was just about to complain about how the Wii doesn't have any new games coming out that I'm interested in.... And in one day we get information about Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: The Other M. This is a good day!

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Man oh man, I'm still reeling that I'm getting this nearly three months earlier than I was expecting.

I was expecting five or six months. Go Go Gadget Aggressive Scheduling.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmmm
    http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702788/Is-Metroid-Other-Somehow-Both-A-2D-And-A-3D-Metroid-Game-Looks-Like-It-.html#ixzz0gTsYAthD
    Take a look at this description for Metroid: Other M from the official press release, which just hit my inbox.

"While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran’s past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages."

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Hmmm
    http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702788/Is-Metroid-Other-Somehow-Both-A-2D-And-A-3D-Metroid-Game-Looks-Like-It-.html#ixzz0gTsYAthD
    Take a look at this description for Metroid: Other M from the official press release, which just hit my inbox.

"While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran’s past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages."

Intriguing.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Gonna have to see that in motion.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Gonna have to see that in motion.

Yeah. At this point, I'm curious and want to see more, but I'm not sold yet.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I get some bad vibes from that description, but I imagine it's not something that can really be conveyed in a press blurb. Still, sounds awkward.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like that section might be on rails.

Which is a terrible fucking idea.

Nintendo has been screwing around with the Metroid formula for the past few releases now and I swear to God I'll throw an internet temper tantrum if that is a rails section.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Too bad no great Metroid Games were released last decade with great on rails section.

*Insert picture of Metroid Prime here.

*Insert picture of Metroid Prime 2 here.

*Insert picture of Metroid Prime 3 here.

Relax people, we'll see tonight but it is probably just optional 3D aiming and puzzle solving

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like that section might be on rails.

Which is a terrible fucking idea.

Nintendo has been screwing around with the Metroid formula for the past few releases now and I swear to God I'll throw an internet temper tantrum if that is a rails section.

Why would it have to be on rails? The description said that the base is 2D with the option to switch to 3D at any time and hunt for hidden passages. Kinda sounds like the opposite of rails to me.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Super Paper Metroid?

Pooch on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Too bad no great Metroid Games were released last decade with great on rails section.

Relax people, we'll see tonight but it is probably just optional 3D aiming and puzzle solving

What's happening tonight?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pooch wrote: »
    Super Paper Metroid?

Only good.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

embargo ends

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The On Rails section for Prime 3 were aggravating and terrible. Never played 2 and don't remember any in the first one.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guek wrote: »

embargo ends

Ah. Hope for some new trailers then.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The way the control scheme is described would make it clunky to switch from holding the remote sideways with two hands for the 2D sections to wiimote+nunchuk controls for first-person sections. I suppose you could hold the nunchuk in one hand and still use your thumb to control the wiimote d-pad but that seems less than ideal.

Who knows, maybe they've figured out a clever control method.

7ydABCaGXLYLWImTw00DmTHW0E9C1CEU.jpgDni1pIhlmdSP1Mm1XHjYt6TX2hkh0MZJ.jpg
    tYTys_-90m7j-5ulYT6N0cHyZl_1za-C.jpgxf_1unD_UvANHBSy_-YK2XYqqmj9lXct.jpg

More here: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/of7lcEBQyssh5y_pITalCVd4mAutD4Yq#images

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really do not like Samus' suit design in this game. Everything else looks :^: :^:

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My hopes for this game keep sliding down the tube. Nintendo's people are the guys that did the WarioWare games and Tetris DS. Team Ninja without Itagaki (who have so far ported Ita's games to the PS3 and made a terrible PSP DoA game post Ita), and lots and lots of talking.

Biggest problem with Prime 3 were the other characters.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The On Rails section for Prime 3 were aggravating and terrible. Never played 2 and don't remember any in the first one.

you mean the sections that where you were literally on rails? :P I thought they were fine

Guek on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Unless you guys are making a bad spider ball joke, I have no idea what on rails sections the prime games have.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't like the idea of running into other humans in a metroid game. Doesn't feel right.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My hopes for this game keep sliding down the tube. Nintendo's people are the guys that did the WarioWare games and Tetris DS. Team Ninja without Itagaki (who have so far ported Ita's games to the PS3 and made a terrible PSP DoA game post Ita), and lots and lots of talking.

The team helping Team Ninja are also the team that did the GBA Metroid titles, which were pretty awesome.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My only concern with this so far is how much uglier the in-engine parts of it are than say, Metroid Prime 3. Hell, how much uglier it is than Metriod Prime 1. Terrible textures, just terrible. It looks like the Conduit.

algorhythm3.14 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did nobody here play Shadow Complex? From the description, it sounds like 2d gameplay with the ability to use a turret at any time. Only you're using an awesome space turret with visors and stuff.

Turkey on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My only concern with this so far is how much uglier the in-engine parts of it are than say, Metroid Prime 3. Hell, how much uglier it is than Metriod Prime 1. Terrible textures, just terrible. It looks like the Conduit.

This is a good thing, considering the Conduit often looked a lot like Prime 1.

I don't know what everyone here is smoking, I've been impressed by everything I've seen and heard here. Nice looking designs, gameplay description sounds interesting, screens are exciting. Can't wait.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm sure it's been polished since the initial trailer.

Another thing about other characters...as long as they don't have Samus commanding a 'helping squad of soldiers' then I don't care if they add other characters to the universe so as to flesh out Samus' story.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

The team helping Team Ninja are also the team that did the GBA Metroid titles, which were pretty awesome.

Consider the complaints about Metroid Fusion. How it wasn't really a Metroid game. Take that and consider that Other M is now set to "flesh out the relationship" between Samus and that Adam guy.

Metroid is about blasting aliens, exploring dangerous wastelands and derelict ships, not about exploring relationships or interacting with NPCs.

Another thing about other characters...as long as they don't have Samus commanding a 'helping squad of soldiers' then I don't care if they add other characters to the universe so as to flesh out Samus' story.

Might wanna get prepared. Go watch the E3 trailer and wait for the "Remember Me" part.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think some people are fundamentally misunderstanding the role of Team Ninja on this project.

They are the code monkeys. The people behind the recent 2D Metroids aren't helping out Team Ninja, they are directing them.

See Every DQ game ever for how this is done.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I still don't like Samus' look in this (the in-game stuff). It's too N64-ish era. I'm sure from a distance and in motion it'll pass, but still images are not working with it.

Regardless, SUMMER 2010 BLOW OUT WOO!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Might wanna get prepared. Go watch the E3 trailer and wait for the "Remember Me" part.

And how does that imply that you're in control of a squad?

Honestly, most of what we've seen was Samus going solo. It'll be fine.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was kinda hoping that there'd be a new trailer, but the little bit of info and screenshots that we got is nice too.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Consider the complaints about Metroid Fusion. How it wasn't really a Metroid game. Take that and consider that Other M is now set to "flesh out the relationship" between Samus and that Adam guy.

Metroid is about blasting aliens, exploring dangerous wastelands and derelict ships, not about exploring relationships or interacting with NPCs.

Metroid is about whatever they decide to make it about. I liked the lore we got to see in the Japanese flash comics, and I'm pumped to get more of it here.

I'm not so focused on purity of style that I'm gonna go "but it's not a Metroid gaaaammmeee." Hell yes it's a Metroid game. I'm glad they're branching out.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Please point me to a god damn N64 game that looks as good as this.

Anyway, the game sounds great. People bitch too much about everything.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I totally hope Metroid and that black cyborg get together and make baby Metroids.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Graviija wrote: »

I certainly haven't condemned the entirety of the game based on Samus' rendering. So can it with the "oh man people just like to bitch" stuff. It's a criticism, delivered rather fairly. I could've been an anonymous internet silly goose about it.

It's a combination of the bright yellow / red and the sort of bulky look of the suit. It doesn't seem to have a lot of effort put into it. It can look way better and still fit whatever artistic scheme they're going for.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's the original style of the very first Metroid artwork.

m1artnp3.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »

I certainly haven't condemned the entirety of the game based on Samus' rendering. So can it with the "oh man people just like to bitch" stuff. It's a criticism, delivered rather fairly. I could've been an anonymous internet silly goose about it.

It's a combination of the bright yellow / red and the sort of bulky look of the suit. It doesn't seem to have a lot of effort put into it. It can look way better and still fit whatever artistic scheme they're going for.

I'm excited for this game but I know where you're coming from. It looks like her base armor without any upgrades. I thought it looked odd in MP1 as well until you got some upgrades. I hope it changes in appearance as the game progresses.

Guek on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I actually really like the look of the suit. So there.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It also looks exactly like the suit in Zero Mission.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg