As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gauging Interest: Simple 3D Dungeon Tiles, fast assembly

ericgrauericgrau Registered User new member
edited February 2010 in Critical Failures
Like the news post, I've had trouble finding 3D dungeons that don't take forever to assemble. So I came up with my own. Here's a 4x3 (20ft. x 15ft.) room I threw together below, with unpainted bed, chest and chamber pot miniatures to give you an idea how big it is:
room4x3perspective.png

It takes about 5 minutes to cut out and scotch tape a room. If you only want to cut out the floor it takes about half a minute. IIRC, printing at Kinkos costs $0.85 per 8x10 color cardstock page. That makes the sample room $0.60 in printing costs. High quality prints at home cost about the same, and doing it online is much easier for large jobs. I've recently finished a bunch of other kinds of walls and floors too, besides the ones depicted. I'd like to do doors next, then doodads like artwork and then I'm not sure.

So here's where I need help: I realize that there's not nearly as much art involved in these as a lot of commercial products, even though that's an intentional part of their simplicity. Would anyone go for these (including many other different floors, walls and doors) if sold as a PDF for a single digit dollar amount? And if not, where can I upload the lot of them to allow free downloads? The file sizes are too big to just geocities them all. Finally, I don't plan on doing detailed things since I believe that's already been done; I'm sticking with simple. But if anyone has links to vendors so I can find beds, tables, chests, houses, etc. that'd be nice for later on when I want to use them myself.

You can download the tiles here:
Floor (8x10 sheet)
Walls (5 10 inch strips)

You can print here:
https://printonline.fedexkinkos.com/?lid=quicklink_printonline
I recommend single sided 110 lb. cardstock, color. Printing double sided tends to have alignment issues, so for double sided walls I'd glue stick 2 single sided walls together instead. For clean corners, tape together separate sections. Do not fold. Forming curves is still fine. Do make use of the cutting boards at Kinkos to trim the prints.

ericgrau on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually ended up doing this myself recently, but only the floor tiles. I've got all sorts of graphics ranging from cave floors, cement tiles, and wooden floors. I have maybe 100 different tiles varying from 1x2, 2x2, 2x6, etc. I also have about 6 or 7 full-page tiles to act as a basic room to build onto.

You certainly can't sell these tiles, because I'm assuming you just pulled the graphics from the Internet and pasted a grid on top.

I just printed on regular paper at Staples and then rubber cemented it onto bristol board. The tiles are now extremely durable.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alright then, any tips on web hosting services so I can set up some free downloads? So far I have 23 MB of data, but there'll be a little more once I do the doors and misc. features.

And I should note that instead of having pre-sized rooms, I have 8x10 gridded sheets where you cut out any size you want. The idea is to give options to create things on the fly rather than needing to prepare everything in advance. The walls are optional, so omitting them and just quickly cutting out a floor can save even more time if you need something during a game. That's also why I printed onto cardstock rather than gluing paper onto another material; to save time.

I went through the 3.5 SRD and found every kind of floor, wall and door listed to make tiles for thosein hopes of given people everything they might need. It seems most people here are into 4e, but I don't see why it'd be much different.

ericgrau on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just find a free file host. I use Fileden mostly, because it allows you to hotlink directly to the files. They say free accounts are formatted every now and then of all files, but I have never had mine cleared for about a year.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alright then, thanks. I think I'll wait until everything's done & tested then start a thread with photos & links of a more complete (and free) set of tiles. Hopefully some fully completed dungeons too.

ericgrau on
  • Options
    azmyth1azmyth1 Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Hey I did the same thing.. making 3D dungeon tiles. I just finished a new texture to make towns.. the other textures are for dungeons. Here is a link. Please check it out and let me know your feedback. Just click on gallery and you can check out lots of images.

I put the Town set up so you guys can download it. ( free of course)
    Here is a link: 3D Dungeon Tiles
    here is a link to the gallery. 3D Dungeon Tiles GALLERY

Please let me know what you think. ( I built the website too )

azmyth1 on
  • Options
    azmyth1azmyth1 Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    ericgrau wrote: »
    Alright then, any tips on web hosting services so I can set up some free downloads? .

Hey . I'll host you for free. and put them on my quick quest 3D dungeon tile page. I'd love to do that. Just let me know and I'll get it all ready for ya.

andy

azmyth1 on