As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First timer

• Options
    Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Christmas_Present.jpg

Merry christmas. This has been a horrible few weeks, I hope everyone else is having a better holiday season!

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hopefully you can take solace in the fact that you're bound to be employed by some kind of big deal game developer any second now.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Hopefully you can take solace in the fact that you're bound to be employed by some kind of big deal game developer any second now.

If it were only that easy!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I'll say.

If anyone's looking for a concept artist they'd be stupid to go past Daniel, though.

Always an opening for you at Impromptu Games, yo'! :P

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah, well, being a concept artist goes far, far beyond being able to draw pretty things.

You basically have to design around not just world design, but engine limit designs. This is what Alexander told me, and the number one reason why so many talented artist get passed up for these kind of jobs. They just go buck-wild with the details and making things look pretty when the ironic truth is that it couldn't push them farther from landing the job offer!

It's a very difficult position to get. Most everyone starts off doing something else, like animation or more varied work, and then working themselves into that spot.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, of course. I think Daniel's stuff is usually just the right amount of detail, though.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    On a side note, I am very glad Daniel is back!

I thought he died or something.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only just came across this thread, hot damn there's some brilliant artwork in here. Just keep on drawing man, like everyone else on this forum I think you have what it takes!

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LaCabra - Haha, thanks for the kind words!

Godfather - Lol, thanks for your lessons for the day. Been in a bit of an art funk, but I haven't disappeared.

Natri - Thanks for the encouragement man, I hope people enjoy it.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    HooBleedyHooBlahHooBleedyHooBlah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know Danny, my life savings also consists of a dollar, a paper clip, and a fly.

BTW i dunno if you still go to Kaiser Studios on Saturdays but i will start joining you guys. I need to "brush" up my digital painting (pun intended) and fundamental skills to be on par with my modeling abilities. So get ready for me to ask you and Enrique alotta questions.

HooBleedyHooBlah on

Wuts the next number?

My Art BLOG!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thug.jpg

this guy was really friendly when I met him today.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jesus shit, that's awesome. Only thing is, it's a bit osmose- you really need some hard edges in there.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Tam. I agree with you. I tried a new brush with this one, and i didnt go back to harden some of the edges. i also messed with some of the options that the trial cs4 gives you when you save as a jpeg, and it all resulted in a fuzzy image. Hopefully my next pic wont suffer the same mistakes

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PIRATE_06.jpg

Did this one today for fun, currently rendering a video recording of me painting this dood. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with that recording because I wouldn't know where to upload such a huge video, but we'll see what happens. I'm trying to break into the animation industry sooooo hard. I'm obviously doing that by not listening to Disney at all....

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wanna be just like you when I grow up

Tam on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dear god you're an amazing artist. You make me wish I had a second life to become one :lol:

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    awwwwww. thanks guys, I wish I could agree with you though

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's a video of me painting that pirate dude. I hope it's somewhat helpful for anyone learning to paint in photoshop.

http://vimeo.com/8699979

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jebus H Cripes Dan, you're like a few steps away from being an insanely insane artist. I really to start spending more time in here.

Mustang on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh rofl, that is the best pirate leg I have ever seen. I love how he has those subtle futuristic features, and then instead of a jacked up cyborg limb he has... tennis ball cane leg.

I disappear for weeks/months at a time, so I guess I missed this thread when you initially started posting! Fantastic work, welcome aboard :3

Lexxy on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Returns to thread....
    Yep, still awesome...

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BLADE_04.jpg

hey thanks guys. You've all been really nice to me here, it's really really appreciated. I haven't been doing much show-worthy art because I've been writing the scripts for two animated shorts. I plan on producing designs and storyboards for these shorts to use for my portfolio. I've also been sketching a lot lately because I still feel like my drawing skills are shit. Anyway, here's a painting of Blade that I did today just for shits and giggles. I've been playing with the idea of doing a series of Marvel characters like this (to go with the Wolverine). I pretend that they're designs for an animated film...if only...

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WHERE'S. HIS. SWORD?

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nice use of white highlights, they usually make things look fake, but you pull them off well.

I only have a few minor gripes. The muzzle-flash isn't giving off any light of it's own, which could help break up the monochrome color scheme. It could also help the flash look more like a part of the scene, instead of floating abstractly in white space.

I know it's stylized, but the index finger on his left hand just seems broken, it's just slightly too high.

I would argue against the gun being in perfect profile, but it's passable in the scene and that's mostly just a personal gripe.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I adore this since I have indeed seen the Blade movies.

Such great personality and stylization. You totally got the texture of that leather coat down.

I only have like one tip thats probably not even that useful but maybe a bg of some kind even of a graphic design sense?
    iamterribleathis.gif
    ( Did a gradient since gradients are moving color that helps people move through pictures sometimes) And I am a terrible person to ask on graphic design. Especially the cliche Desktop-esque worrddsss ahaha. And the terrible white outline.

But I was just asking because the white bg drowns out all the beautiful white highlights you did and would make the "bang" pop out more significantly.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lalilulelo - Shit....I knew I forgot something..

Fugitive - Good point about the finger, I hadn't even noticed that bit! The muzzle flash was supposed to be more of a graphical element, so I didn't bother painting the light being cast from it. You're right though, it probably would have allowed for a less monochromatic image. You make a lot of good points, things I'll think about in the future. Much appreciated.

Ikage - You're totally right. Painting with a white BG always makes it harder and it mutes the lights, but I did it so that it would match the Wolverine pic I did a little while ago. Lol I really love the last one by the way

*EDIT* I've made a few small changes. The finger being the main adjustment

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CHICKcopy.jpg

hulkcopy.jpg

here's a random ladydoodle from last night. blagh, I'm not thrilled with it.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Pirate Dood" is the fucking best! His facial expressions fit him so well in your portfolio. He'd make a charming video game character.

Here's a suggestion: Working on silhouettes might be a really good idea for you. It looks like you kind of consider the silhouettes of your drawings, but you could definitely do a lot more with them.

p.s. Seeing Hamster Head develop into a 3D model is the essence of happiness.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Voldemort.jpg

storyboardpractice.jpg

Paradise - Hey thanks! And I think you might be right, I don't give silhouette much thought. One of many things I need to be more conscious of.

So the first one is just a skoodle of Voldemort. I actually DID like the harry potter books, but I wasn't a huge fan of the film portrayal of the character.

The second is a very quick test of Derek Thompson storyboarding technique. I think he's currently a story artist at Pixar, and I recently got a chance to check out his Gnomon DVD on storyboarding. He had some interesting techniques using Layer Comps in Photoshop that I wanted to try out, and here's the result. I think I might do my storyboard reel this way.

Also? I beat Mass Effect 2. THe ending disappointed me. =(

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Daniel, when you do renderings like the dude in black there, do you start with a line drawing or jump right in with painting?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I start with a line drawing always. Working straight in value and color doesn't work well for me.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gonna give that a try

also, good stuff, but I think you could do with some variations in hue and texture- the forest behind him looks unnecessarily boring

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Daniel_Araya_Art_test.jpg

Webcomic_Panel_Test_by_DanielAraya.jpg

Vanity_and_Lighting_by_DanielAraya.jpg

Study_by_DanielAraya.jpg

Some_dood_by_DanielAraya.jpg

Just_another_day_by_DanielAraya.jpg

Geronimo.jpg

I suck for being absent for so long, just been feeling pretty shitty after a recent break up with my ex-lady friend, and it's been difficult getting myself to do anything that isn't self-destructive. I did the obligatory self reflection afterward, and have resolved to make the changes to myself that I've always needed to make. It's going really slowly because I'm a very talented procrastinator, but I'm gradually trying to put myself where any 24 year old male should have been at age 15.

Anyway, about the pictures. The first was an art test that I received from a company who said that I got the job, and then never called me back. I didn't do the drawing though, I just rendered it. They never said I couldn't post it so here ya go.

The third pic is a little piece of vanity that I created while playing with my new phone. That ugly black guy with the epic eyebrows is me.

The fourth pic is a study done from a photograph, I did NOT do that one from imagination.

The last pic is me trying to design a character from a script I was given. I've been invited to take part in a comic anthology written by Howard Shum. It's non paying, but some artists I admire (particularly Rad Sechrist) are going to be in it, and the subject matter is mechs vs monsters so I'll have a blast drawing and painting it. I'm not going with any of those designs because they're ugly as fuck.

Anyway, this is what I've been up to.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    did someone just pick up a castle and put it on the cliff
    that guy must have big hands

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    yeah, gigantic hands

also, I like the new stuff, but I still think you need some sharper edges

Tam on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    tam what are you talking about.. hes got plenty of sharp edges where he needs them. I only see fuzzy ones where hes going for a photo blur thing.

Unless you are talking just about the castle study..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the castle and the guy holding the mug

I guess the others are fine, but those look really soft all over

Tam on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really like your character concepts yo, on close inspection of the mug guy however, his tie doesn't appear to be its own object. It kinda looks like its printed right on the shirt.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Love the latest work. Looks like a really cool style for an animated film. I could imagine seeing it in the bonus features on a Pixar movie DVD.

winter_combat_knight on