As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Cryostasis - Set 15 - Wait...what?

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Let's Play of Cryostasis!

cryostatissleepofreason.jpg

This will be my 11th Let’s Play for Penny Arcade!

Everyone suggested this one, so why not eh.

So, what’s Cryostasis about then?

Tense atmosphere? Scary Russian zombies? Frozen conditions? Yup.

What's Wikipedia say about it?

The game story develops with help of a unique system called Mental Echo - the ability to penetrate another character's memory and change the actions taken by that character in the past. This can involve saving people's lives by taking over their bodies in their memories and changing the course of history.

The game, being set in an arctic setting, employs body heat as a health meter - the player must use heat sources (such as lights or stoves) to replenish health.

The layout

The video will be posted in sets. These will be from 2 - 4 videos and contained in the spoilers.
Should you need it/if it’s available, press HQ for the higher quality Youtube video.
Enjoy!

The first set is a little quiet in sections, thats all sorted by the second.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3 - Atlas Shrugged
Set 4 - A good spanking
Set 5 - Lag Demons
Set 6 - Pure nightmare fuel
Set 7 - They'll need a Crane
Set 8 - Kickstart my Heart
Set 9 - Beard
Set 10 - Frozen Ninjas
Set 11 - Fly-Bat-Man-Man
Set 12 - Save the Cows!
Set 13 - Not to self: Avoid Iceburgs
Set 14 - Russian Battle Bears
Set 15 - Wait...what?

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You snuck this one in, Helloween. I almost missed it. Almost. But I caught you in the act. See? I have picture evidence.
    me_78m3rqqszt1.jpg

I'm on to you!

Dunxco on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, this game is a lot more jump scary than I thought. I remember hearing that people assumed it was an FPS when you really don't have that many enemies to fight or guns to shoot.

Good show, old bean.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Helloween, the less you know about a game, the more lovely your LPs become.

Hearing you angry/scared is the most wonderful thing <3

Snarkman3 on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Helloween, the less you know about a game, the more lovely your LPs become.

Hearing you angry/scared is the most wonderful thing <3

I feel this game will make me do alot of that. Terrified and Raged :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yessss, more Helloween is always good.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think we have discovered Helloween's two biggest weaknesses. Ladders and water. He must get enraged whenever he goes to the local pool.

MoosehatIV on
    edited February 2010
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    I think we have discovered Helloween's two biggest weaknesses. Ladders and water. He must get enraged whenever he goes to the local pool.

It really stunted his career prospects as a lifeguard, let me tell you.

Dunxco on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    this game is incredible

I wish more people had actually played it

MrDelish on
    edited February 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

It really stunted his career prospects as a lifeguard, let me tell you.

I was the best in the business, untill a ladder went on a rampage in the pool. I am forever scarred.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A nice start to what seems like a very atmospheric game. It'll be interesting to see the story unfold and find out what happened to make things turn out the way they have.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved the game for the first few extremely good hours.

And then it falls into the trading atmosphere for making the player shoot lots of things with guns trap. And the ending throws out what was looking to be an interesting metaphysical twist and then poops on it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Games that take place in a artic setting always remember that we really need a good "The Thing" game. Well,at least we get some more helloween.:P

AdditionalPylons on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Games that take place in a artic setting always remember that we really need a good "The Thing" game. Well,at least we get some more helloween.:P

I take it this means you are aware of the The Thing game, canonized by John Carpenter? And saw the Spoony Experiment review of said game?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I take it this means you are aware of the The Thing game, canonized by John Carpenter? And saw the Spoony Experiment review of said game?

Yes. The Spoony Experiment review is awesome though

AdditionalPylons on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fantastic start, Hell. Definitely creepy setting, which means guaranteed hilarity for us. :D

I really like the "Grab shit and punch people with it" mechanic the game's got going on.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, you cock! I just bought this game!

Now I'm torn between watching your awesome LP and spoiling the game and playing it myself to find out.

Woe is me...

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Judgement wrote: »
    Oh, you cock! I just bought this game!

Now I'm torn between watching your awesome LP and spoiling the game and playing it myself to find out.

Woe is me...

From my experience in playing Dead Space while Hell LPed it, it's best to play through it enough to make sure you're always ahead of the videos and watching. With it so fresh in your mind, you'll be able to go "Oh man, I remembered when that happened. Hell is gonna freak."

To each his own, of course, but man, that made Dead Space and the LP of it that much better for me.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Weapons are for chumps. Real men rip off chunks of the ship.

I was hoping you'd get to this. For all its faults, Cryostasis did the cold environment better than I've seen it done in any other game. It's all the little touches; frost buildup on your hands and weapons, the flashlight getting stronger as it gets warmer, how even a short fall in a cold room can be fatal, stuff melting off the walls... I've never felt quite so cold, vulnerable, and alone as I have while playing this game. It made the surprises all the more effective.

The other thing is you don't have someone yammering in your ear telling you where to go and exactly what to do at all times, which is a big plus in my book. Radio support is fine to a point, but sometimes I want to figure things out on my own, and Cryostasis scratched that itch marvelously.

Anyway, great sets Hello :)

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I don't even know what's going on really. Spoooooky game, though.

Fencingsax on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man Helloween you crack me up.. I hope I have enough time over the next couple weeks to keep up with this one

remlap13 on
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game has some weird taste in weapons. Who passes up shovels, torches and pipes for boxing with a broken valve in your hand?

Jakorian on
  • Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game is so good. Not nearly as pretty as it was made out to be beforehand, but I love its style. The fairytale pages make things so surreal. The fucking Russians know how to make atmospheric games, even if they're notoriously buggy.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jakorian wrote: »
    This game has some weird taste in weapons. Who passes up shovels, torches and pipes for boxing with a broken valve in your hand?

Manly bearded scientists, that's who.

Rhan9 on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is one of my favorites, if only for all the ice effects. I hope to keep up with this LP!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited February 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Jakorian wrote: »

Manly bearded scientists, that's who.

Exactly. Oddly, punching people seems to be more effective than smacking them in the mouth with the pipe end. I wonder why.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • ArjanNArjanN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In this close quarters the valve might actually be a better weapon than a shovel, becuase there's no room to swing it around.

ArjanN on
    edited February 2010
    ArjanN wrote: »
    In this close quarters the valve might actually be a better weapon than a shovel, becuase there's no room to swing it around.

But it's not as cool, and thats the important thing.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Awesome start, for sure, but yeah I don't understand the premise of the game at all. The opening talks about these ancient warriors who are in a haunted forest or some shit that's killing them, and they have to go back and fight their way out, or go forward and try to get through some tangled bushes.

Then it's modern time and you're a guy in a marooned icebreaker ship reliving their memories of how they fucked up and ran into an ice zombie spawning ground.

What. The. Fuck.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You've... never seen any film or read any book that uses a side story or flashback as a metaphor for what's happening in the main plot? :?

I mean, I've beaten the game, I know what happens, but still, seemed pretty obvious to me that's what those bits were right from the first one.

Also, to balance the snark - it was a lot of fun, it was a neat little story and I'd love to see the developer do something else, but it was very, very linear. A Let's Play is probably going to be the best way to experience the game for some of those people wondering what it's like; it's pretty much an interactive movie as it is.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In Soviet Russia, plot drives you.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Pretty much. The mental echoes are neat (a few of the later scenes are truly excellent), but given there's only one possible successful outcome for any of them and it normally hinges on one very obvious thing they're not really much more than fancy QTE events.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I went back and watched the opening again, and I think the part I missed is how the main character wakes up inside the ship. I think I'd missed that part the first time due to some distraction or another, and thus didn't understand that he was (I guess?) part of the icebreaker crew and is now the sole survivor (or so it seems) trying to figure out what happened or whatever.

Whereas before I'd gotten the impression he was just some scientist guy who stumbled upon the ship with absolutely no exposition as to why he was there in the first place. It had something to do with the initial flashbacks of the dog sledding... I think that's where I got confused the first time.

Or maybe I'm confused now, I don't know.

Toxic Pickle on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I went back and watched the opening again, and I think the part I missed is how the main character wakes up inside the ship. I think I'd missed that part the first time due to some distraction or another, and thus didn't understand that he was (I guess?) part of the icebreaker crew and is now the sole survivor (or so it seems) trying to figure out what happened or whatever.

Whereas before I'd gotten the impression he was just some scientist guy who stumbled upon the ship with absolutely no exposition as to why he was there in the first place. It had something to do with the initial flashbacks of the dog sledding... I think that's where I got confused the first time.

Or maybe I'm confused now, I don't know.

The flashbacks of the guy on the sled are of the main character, you see him stumble into the exact area where you first wake up. That slip he got in the first video says he was supposed to be there for a pickup, and I think it was supposed to be the ship he is now on. Of course, Something Has Gone Terribly Wrong(tm) and now it's on him to figure it out.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Naturally I got a Penumbra vibe when I first saw this game in action.

Time to watch!

*edit* Whoa, whoa, whoa. I had assumed this was Vista only due to the demo a while back being as such. But I read XP is fine. I might just have to pick this one up myself.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited February 2010
    Naturally I got a Penumbra vibe when I first saw this game in action.

Time to watch!

*edit* Whoa, whoa, whoa. I had assumed this was Vista only due to the demo a while back being as such. But I read XP is fine. I might just have to pick this one up myself.

It's so worth getting. Looks amazing in HD.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited February 2010
    It does indeed look great. Some of the modelling's kind of clunky, but the ice textures are fantastic. The melting especially is just creepily good. Couple that with the audio design and if you don't feel a chill sitting through this you're dead from the neck up already, basically. :P

It can run pretty jerky with everything on full whack, though. Admittedly I don't have an Nvidia card, but still, AMD Phenom Black quad with 4 gig DDR 2 and 2 crossfired ATI 4870s and it struggles noticeably in some of the firefights.

Eight Rooks on

edited February 2010
    Helloween wrote: »
    ArjanN wrote: »

But it's not as cool, and thats the important thing.

But you're not playing as this guy:

MV5BMTc1MzI4MjYwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODY1NDM3._V1._SX304_SY400_.jpg

William H Macy bans you from using his shovel.

Dunxco on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They really came pretty close to what it's like to actually walk around the block in Canukistan with the dogsledding bit.

Drop a half buried Tim Horton's sign next to the ice breaker and it'd feel just like home.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cryostasis.png

My setup is getting on a bit but I will not mind tweaking it.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i'm valgomir and i am so german, but i still hope no monsters pop out D:

god, this game gives me the creeps. i mean, the claustrophobic setting isn't really that terrible, but the jump scares are really effective D: even worse than the F.E.A.R. ladder jump scare D:
    but hey, the commentary is great as always, and the game is good anyway. the problem with it being so tense is that i don't get to write down the good comments :P like, i really can't judge the comments while watching the videos. i just enjoy it^^

valgomir on