As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick question about power supplies:

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
This is my first time putting together a computer... I ordered the parts through newegg, and took a suggested build from the stickied thread here. Since the computer was for someone else, I let her choose her own case, which is the right size and everything, but it came with its own 500W power supply. The case wasn't expensive at all.

I'm wondering if I should just send the ordered power supply back, and trust the one in the case... or should I go with the 400W power supply that I ordered for the case? I'm wary, since the "extra" power supply I have cost more by itself than the entire case did.

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• Options
    CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Which case/PSU combo did you order, and what's the other power supply?

Critter on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Keep the Corsair. I wouldn't trust that PSU to power my toothbrush.

Critter on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alrighty, thanks.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If I may take a guess, Was the case she/you ordered an Antec Sonata III case?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Naw something else.. Linkworld something.

So, yeah... The Corsair power supply next to the case's stock power supply looks like sex next to a hungry bum.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alright, as far as I can tell according to the instructions, I've got everything installed just fine... Computer isn't powering up at all, though. The motherboard's instructions recommends a 500W power supply, but I'd think the computer would at least power up, right?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have you double checked the make sure there isn't a second power switch at the back of the power supply that's accidentally been left to off?

Double check to make sure that you've connected the front panel switch to the right pins on the motherboard?

Alternatively, does anything light up (e.g. a standby light on the motherboard)?

Do any fans spin?

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Have you double checked the make sure there isn't a second power switch at the back of the power supply that's accidentally been left to off?

Yeah, first thing I turned on.
    Double check to make sure that you've connected the front panel switch to the right pins on the motherboard?

First thing I double checked. Strange thing here, only the power switch cord has a black and white line, all the rest are yellow and white, or green and white. I'm assuming white is positive on all of them. There was no information on which was which with the case (not much info with the case at all, really).
    Alternatively, does anything light up (e.g. a standby light on the motherboard)?

Nope.
    Do any fans spin?

Nope. No sign of power at all.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »

Yeah, first thing I turned on.

First thing I double checked. Strange thing here, only the power switch cord has a black and white line, all the rest are yellow and white, or green and white. I'm assuming white is positive on all of them. There was no information on which was which with the case (not much info with the case at all, really).

Nope.
    Do any fans spin?

Nope. No sign of power at all.

Well, you only need the 2-wire power switch cord attached to test. It doesn't matter which way it is plugged in as long as you actually attach it to the correct pins on the motherboard. Recheck the manual for your motherboard, it will list which pins are for the power switch. And just in case they have not labeled the connectors on the cables in the case or they have used nonstandard colors, try swapping one at a time with the other 2-wire cables.

The PWR and HD led cables you can leave disconnected while testing since they aren't needed yet. The led's wont light up if they are connected backwards, but they won't be damaged doing that either.

If you are certain that the front panel connections are right, try plugging in the power supply that came with the case. It's possible the other supply is dead.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Even if you don't have the power switch hooked up correctly, the standby light on the motherboard should be on if PSU is connected to the main mobo connector, plugged in, and switched on. You may have a bad PSU.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is unlikely, but it's also possible that the case has a poorly-wired power button. I helped a friend with a build a year or so ago and we discovered a bad solder in the case's wiring after hours of confusion. I mention it because we, too, were using an inexpensive case.

Critter on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Check under the motherboard, something might be making contact & shorting you out.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ooh good point. Forgot about that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This might be really stupid but it's the first mistake I made when I built my first computer. You used the screw spacers so that your motherboard isn't resting directly on the metal of the case right?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This might be really stupid but it's the first mistake I made when I built my first computer. You used the screw spacers so that your motherboard isn't resting directly on the metal of the case right?

I think this is probably it. I was confused that the case didn't come with anything of the like, and thought that it didn't need it since nothing was there. I checked and rechecked the stuff that came with the case too. They'd just be little plastic washers basically, right?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nope, they're usually little brass standoffs.

Bout a centimeter long. Screw on one end, screw hole on the other.

Like this.
    STANDOFFM3Alarge-10-2-BD.jpg

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png