As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlestar Galactica, please explain WTH is going on. (potentially spoily)

MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I hadn't seen any of BSG until yesterday. I bought season one, because it was strongly recommended by a friend. I watched six episodes, and I really like it so far, but I'm just operating on a silly goose level of confusion here. I suppose I should simply ask; Is it suppose to string you along this much? If so please just say 'Yes, answers are coming.'

If not, and I don't want any spoilers, but; who the fuck is that blonde lady and the old guy on the roof? What the FUCK is up with Doctor Gaius, is he a Cylon agent or is he really just bat-shit loco? Why does everything seem so out of fucking chronological order (they should have dates appear on-screen)!? When is the shit in the abandoned city with Helo supposed to take place? Is Boomer a Cylon from the get go or, she is being prepped to be one...like wat? wat? So she is a Cylon, but she has compassion for humans now? Or, she isn't a Cylon but is under mind control, all while her double will eventually be there to replace her as a full Cylon....

D:

Also, I have no prior experience of the BSG universe, and it seems like they're leaving chunks of info out, as if they made the show for the fan-boys familiar with the material (which is pretty cool, but still). I'd like for the 'holocaust' to be explained a little more, wth happened, who are the Cylons...etc... The show is great but half the experience to me is muttering "wtf? why? when did that happen...who is that, wtf"

MindLib on

• RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did you watch the miniseries first? Because it seems like you didn't...that would indeed make things very confusing.

Episodes occur in chronological order, but there is a non-specified amount of time between episodes that you just have to glean through context.

For the most part the things that are confusing to you are supposed to be confusing, so don't worry about it. Pretty much all you need to know is in the voiceover during the opening credits.

I don't know what roof you're talking about.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    you know everything you're supposed to know if you're watching them in order.

NotYou on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Did you watch the miniseries first? Because it seems like you didn't...that would indeed make things very confusing.

Episodes occur in chronological order, but there is a non-specified amount of time between episodes that you just have to glean through context.

For the most part the things that are confusing to you are supposed to be confusing, so don't worry about it. Pretty much all you need to know is in the voiceover during the opening credits.

...there's a miniseries?

MindLib on
    edited February 2010
    MindLib wrote: »

...there's a miniseries?

Haha, oh man...yeah, that's what I thought might have happened.

The series began with a 3-hour miniseries (two 1.5 hour episodes, or 2 hours with commercials, I beleive). This is really the beginning of Season 1, and I believe it is the first disc of the Season 1 boxed set. However, Netflix separates it from Season 1 and lists it separately as the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries (or something like that). When you add Season 1 to your queue, the first disc you get is actually disc 2 of the boxed set. Many poor people have been burned by this.

Go back, watch the miniseries, and it should answer some of your questions.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, we do have a BSG/Caprica thread over at D&D. We can avoid spoilers pretty well, and in general we are really friendly, save for talking about the end of BSG. I'd be happy to answer any questions. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited February 2010

...there's a miniseries?

Haha, oh man...yeah, that's what I thought might have happened.

The series began with a 3-hour miniseries (two 1.5 hour episodes, or 2 hours with commercials, I beleive). This is really the beginning of Season 1, and I believe it is the first disc of the Season 1 boxed set. However, Netflix separates it from Season 1..

S...O...B.

Thanks guys.

MindLib on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thread is solved but I gotta say, I really didn't like the miniseries at all and thought the first real episodes were fantastic. Judging from the OP, though, I'm glad I stuck it out anyway :mrgreen:

scrivenerjones on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The miniseries definitely has a different feel/tempo to it. While I do enjoy it, I enjoy it a LOT more as a piece of a whole as oppose to a standalone product.

Iceman.USAF on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Everything IS explained in the end, but not well and I personally think the ending is terrible. However, there isn't any kind of Deadwood cliffhangers that will leave you with blue balls.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Even if we did explain exactly what was going on, it wouldn't make any sense ;)

So just kick back and enjoy the ride, don't be in too much of a hurry to get to the last season...

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It'll all make sense as you go along. Go out of your way to avoid spoilers if you want to enjoy it to the fullest.

Also there is another movie/miniseries (I guess you could call it that) called Razor. I can't remember exactly when you're supposed to watch it, I think maybe around 3rd or 4th season.

Al_wat on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Everything IS explained in the end, but not well and I personally think the ending is terrible. However, there isn't any kind of Deadwood cliffhangers that will leave you with blue balls.

you just had to bring it up didn't you

ugh deadwood and dead like me are the blueballsiest shows

Raneados on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What does that crappy Dead Like Me movie count as in terms of testicular terms?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    It'll all make sense as you go along. Go out of your way to avoid spoilers if you want to enjoy it to the fullest.

Also there is another movie/miniseries (I guess you could call it that) called Razor. I can't remember exactly when you're supposed to watch it, I think maybe around 3rd or 4th season.

Isn't razor just 3 or 4 episodes a couple seasons in? Just like the mini series that everyone has been talking about here.

Grimm on
  • GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Even if we did explain exactly what was going on, it wouldn't make any sense ;)

So just kick back and enjoy the ride, don't be in too much of a hurry to get to the last season...

Or the last couple seasons for that matter. It kinda went down hill after the entire show was pretty much just
    apolo and starbuck being assholes and screwing every chance they got. And what the hell was up with apolo getting fat?

Grimm on
    edited February 2010
    Grimm wrote: »

Isn't razor just 3 or 4 episodes a couple seasons in? Just like the mini series that everyone has been talking about here.

No, Razor aired between seasons, and actually took place out of sequence. Its not part of any season.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No, Razor aired between seasons, and actually took place out of sequence. Its not part of any season.

It is generally suggested to watch Razor after episode 2-19 (I believe) as the Razor arc was the intro to season 2.5, and the film ends with the events of 2-19. There are also "Razor flashback" webisodes which further build on "Razor".

There's also "The Plan" which was a more recent movie (released after season 4 ended). It is what it is, which is to say a lot of redaction to make season 1 more in line with the overall plot. It answers a lot of questions you have going forward into season 3. I'd suggest watching it around the end of 2.0 (episode 2-9, I believe).

There are webisodes released between all seasons expect for season 1 to 2 which explain a lot of the background, especially for the season 2 to 3 break.

Here's the episode list on this page.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What does that crappy Dead Like Me movie count as in terms of testicular terms?

That movie doesn't exist. And if it did exist, it was a huge letdown and awful without half the original cast.

SniperGuy on
  • VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought the Season 1 boxset came with the mini series o_O

Vesty on
    edited February 2010
    Vesty wrote: »
    I thought the Season 1 boxset came with the mini series o_O

It does...but Netflix doesn't handle it that way. They separate it out.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Just poking my head in to say that yeah, the miniseries should clear things up for you, but you won't really know what's going on a lot of the time until it happens. Also, don't let people get you too worked up about the ending before you see it. Just know that it's something that people get pissed off about, and one of those people COULD be you, but might not be. I was pleasantly surprised at how well things were wrapped up, even if I wished a couple things had ended up differently.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    edited February 2010
    The US Version does. The EURO version does not, unless it was re-released.

Originally, SCI-FI was going to just bring over all the EURO DVD's and put them on American shelves. That's why I have a copy of Season One and the Miniseries, as well as the American Season 1 (which INCLUDES the miniseries) on my shelf.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    I hadn't seen any of BSG until yesterday. I bought season one, because it was strongly recommended by a friend. I watched six episodes, and I really like it so far, but I'm just operating on a silly goose level of confusion here. I suppose I should simply ask; Is it suppose to string you along this much? If so please just say 'Yes, answers are coming.'

If not, and I don't want any spoilers, but; who the fuck is that blonde lady and the old guy on the roof? What the FUCK is up with Doctor Gaius, is he a Cylon agent or is he really just bat-shit loco? Why does everything seem so out of fucking chronological order (they should have dates appear on-screen)!? When is the shit in the abandoned city with Helo supposed to take place? Is Boomer a Cylon from the get go or, she is being prepped to be one...like wat? wat? So she is a Cylon, but she has compassion for humans now? Or, she isn't a Cylon but is under mind control, all while her double will eventually be there to replace her as a full Cylon....

D:

Also, I have no prior experience of the BSG universe, and it seems like they're leaving chunks of info out, as if they made the show for the fan-boys familiar with the material (which is pretty cool, but still). I'd like for the 'holocaust' to be explained a little more, wth happened, who are the Cylons...etc... The show is great but half the experience to me is muttering "wtf? why? when did that happen...who is that, wtf"

You'll get almost everything answered by the end of season four, though you may, or may not be happy with those answers.

As for your specific questions: Boomer has always been a cylon. Helo's story is taking place concurrently with the main story in the fleet. The flesh-job cylons are more complicated than the general attitude in the fleet would lead you to believe. Gaius Baltar is fucking awesome, but you're not supposed to know if he's crazy or not yet, so just enjoy the ride.

Also, like Runningman said, it really sounds here like you haven't seen the miniseries. If that's the case, stop everything, and watch it now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010

Chronologically, Razor takes place right after 2.17 - The Captain's Hand, but sometime before 2.19 - Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 1. But it wasn't produced until after season 3, as a lead-in to season 4. Watching it earlier won't really spoil much of anything, except hint at a plot-point for Starbuck that won't happen for another season or so.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whoever said to watch The Plan at the end of Season 2 is so unbelievably wrong.

I implore you: Do not watch The Plan until you get to Season 4.5, and there's a specific episode in Season 4.5 that you should watch first. To be quite honest, The Plan was written with an audience in mind that had seen the entire show, and I think there is some stuff from the finale that is even "spoiled" in The Plan if you see it earlier.

To those who have seen it:

Seriously? Watching The Plan before they even introduce the concept of the Final 5, and after only barely introducing Cavil? To say nothing of D'anna's search?

Edit: The person who suggested watching the Plan suggested you watch it before the main characters in it are even introduced. Take that for what you will. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited February 2010
    Can you explain; What is The Plan?

MindLib on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Can you explain; What is The Plan?

The Plan is none of your concern until you've seen the rest of the series. >>

It will basically single-handedly spoil much of the series for you if you watch it early.

ceres on
    edited February 2010
    Okie dokie.

Anyway, I watched the miniseries and I'm feeling much better about things. A lot of my more serious questions have been answered, or put in the right framing so I can enjoy the series more. I agree with many here, though. The miniseries has some issues. I felt they should have focused less on driving home the personalities of the characters and more on the events, and lore of the universe. I'm particularly interested in the development of the AI that led to the Cylons, and the independent advancement that lead to Cylon 'humans'. That will probably be saved as a bad made for TV prequel in a handful of years. I thought the character of Gaius to be too weak to have that much importance placed on his character that early. However, I love the dynamic between Thrace and Odama SR. I also think they're probably two of the better acting performances on the show.
    In the miniseries they come straight out and say Boomer and the blonde lady are Cylon agents, and that Gaius's hallucinations are from a Cylon implanted chip. Helo was left on Caprica, and another 'Boomer' is fucking with him, maybe using him as training. That pretty much absolves all my confusion.

MindLib on
    edited February 2010
    It's Adama, for the record.

And as for the development of the AI...

... yeah. Um...

You'll get there. :D

Edit: Also, your confusion.. for now. Trust me, enjoy the ride.

Athenor on
    edited February 2010
    They're doing the prequel now. It's called Caprica. Finish BSG first.

ceres on
    edited February 2010
    Okie dokie.

Anyway, I watched the miniseries and I'm feeling much better about things. A lot of my more serious questions have been answered, or put in the right framing so I can enjoy the series more. I agree with many here, though. The miniseries has some issues. I felt they should have focused less on driving home the personalities of the characters and more on the events, and lore of the universe. I'm particularly interested in the development of the AI that led to the Cylons, and the independent advancement that lead to Cylon 'humans'. That will probably be saved as a bad made for TV prequel in a handful of years. I thought the character of Gaius to be too weak to have that much importance placed on his character that early. However, I love the dynamic between Thrace and Odama SR. I also think they're probably two of the better acting performances on the show.
    In the miniseries they come straight out and say Boomer and the blonde lady are Cylon agents, and that Gaius's hallucinations are from a Cylon implanted chip. Helo was left on Caprica, and another 'Boomer' is fucking with him, maybe using him as training. That pretty much absolves all my confusion.

bahahahahahah man I can't wait to talk to you again in like 3 seasons.

Iceman.USAF on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, not even the writers know what's going on in this show until the very very end.

I loved it at the beginning, but then...well, I was in the same boat as you. I didn't know what to make of anything, and it's hard telling who's on any one side because there aren't really any definite sides.

I will say this: If you're watching it on the DVDs, use the goddamn subtitles. They will save you a lot of headache.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • GeorgeWashingtonPlunkittGeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure Netflix sent me the miniseries first, but its possible I added that in myself. I know they sent me Razor as disc one of one of the seasons (either 2.5 or 3).

GeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt on
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure Netflix sent me the miniseries first, but its possible I added that in myself. I know they sent me Razor as disc one of one of the seasons (either 2.5 or 3).

God damnit, are you people doing this to me on purpose!? Now WTF is RAZOR!? When should I watch it?

MindLib on
    edited March 2010

God damnit, are you people doing this to me on purpose!? Now WTF is RAZOR!? When should I watch it?

It's boxed in the beginning of Season 4 I believe. I'd watch then.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited March 2010
    If you want to be really safe, watch all the specials (aside from the miniseries prequel thing) after you finish the series. None of them give you any info you need for the show, and you won't get any spoilers that way.

ceres on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Razor has some good moments, but most of the time, it's glorified fan-fiction. You should watch it when you finish Season 3, since that's when it came out, and was geared toward an audience who had seen the show up to that point.

Looking back on the entire show, Razor added almost nothing significant to the overall story.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Miniseries
    Season 1
    Season 2
    Webisodes: The Resistance (On the Season 3 DVD)
    Season 3
    Razor (and a series of webisodes about young Adama on the razor dvd)
    Season 4.0
    more webisodes on the dvd
    Season 4.5
    The Plan

That's everything and the order they're in.

Stop watching after episode 4 in Season 3.

PolloDiablo on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Go out of your way to avoid spoilers if you want to enjoy it to the fullest.

Limed soooooooo hard. You don't want to know what's going on until it happens.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okie dokie.

I'm particularly interested in the development of the AI that led to the Cylons, and the independent advancement that lead to Cylon 'humans'. That will probably be saved as a bad made for TV prequel in a handful of years.

Hah. They didnt wait a few years...

And...its not as interesting as one might assume. Apparently humans, before the first cylon war, made irrational, terrible decisions and jump to horrendus conclusions about loved ones.

Its pretty much Saved by the Bell: The New Cast, with robots.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png