As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade's New Book!

• tubbytitstubbytits Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey ASimPerson, did you buy a copy of the book while you were there? Do you remember what company it was selling the books? They owe me $ because they didn't have enough to make change.

tubbytits on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just got back home, much faster than the drive UP there at rush hour after work. Very fun though and they did a great job.

The left side of where I stood, keep in mind that there were people all the way back in the alcoves.
    s1pwlf.jpg
    The right side and stage, people were all the way down the stacks on both sides.
    2eyba6a.jpg
    One of my personal favorite highlights, instructions on how to "please" a gamer boyfriend with Rez.
    ou4ljd.jpg

My picture with the guys.
    rgxapk.jpg
    My autograph. I did notice that the guy before me got a Fruit Fucker robot drawn, I think he just randomly chooses what he's going to draw.
    28l5sf8.jpg
    tubbytits wrote: »
    I cant remember my number, lost the ticket lmao. I just went up when they called 115 and up. Im kinda bummed because the 10 or so people in front of me got to actually talk to Mike and Jerry and actually got them to smile in the photos. When I got up there they didnt say anything and look pissed in the photo... ah well nice to finally see'em in person after like 10 years of being a fan. I'd have to say about 80% of the questions asked went right over my head since I don't table top game or even own a console made after the PSOne

I was #97. Honestly I think they also randomly decided poses for pictures. Sometimes they smiled, sometimes not, I imagine it gets boring smiling at every camera. They were telling me that their eyes were starting to see spots after all the camera flashes.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited February 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »
    ]

I was #97. Honestly I think they also randomly decided poses for pictures. Sometimes they smiled, sometimes not, I imagine it gets boring smiling at every camera. They were telling me that their eyes were starting to see spots after all the camera flashes.

Yeah I figure they were probably pretty tired from the flight.

tubbytits on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I didn't buy it there, no.

Aphostile: I am just barely not in your photo!

I brought a camera but decided I didn't want a photo - I just don't think I'm very photogenic. As a result, though, I didn't have much of a chance to interact when I got to the front of the line. Ah well.

ASimPerson on
    edited February 2010
    What were you wearing? I may have you in another shot, haha.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited February 2010
    did any of ya get to squeeze in a question during the Q&A?

tubbytits on
    edited February 2010

A blue PAX08 t-shirt with a long black-sleeved t-shirt undernearth. I saw some other PAX shirts but no PAX08 t-shirts.

ASimPerson on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got there about 20 minutes late because traffic was terrible. It took me an hour and twenty minutes to get from Sunnyvale to Belmont. Had to stand way back in the stacks, but did manage to get a glimpse of the guys through the books. They were out of books by the time I got there, but they were taking names and phone numbers so they could get more signed copies later. We'll see if that pans out.

Not a terrible way to spend an evening.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that's why I left from Sunnyvale around 5:00... I got to San Carlos/Belmont around 6:00ish.

ASimPerson on
    edited February 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »

A blue PAX08 t-shirt with a long black-sleeved t-shirt undernearth. I saw some other PAX shirts but no PAX08 t-shirts.

Looked through the few I took and didn't see any, unfortunately. Should've taken a picture with them! You were in a library full of nerdy folk getting a book with 2 guys riding a unicorn on it. I think you would've been alright. Haha.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited February 2010
    I just really cannot do posed pictures. I know it's an odd time to be self-conscious, but still.

Nonetheless, it was a pretty good time. The Q&A was worth it on its own. It was like the PAX Q&A's, except on a much smaller scale.

ASimPerson on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I just really cannot do posed pictures. I know it's an odd time to be self-conscious, but still.

Nonetheless, it was a pretty good time. The Q&A was worth it on its own. It was like the PAX Q&A's, except on a much smaller scale.

did anyone tell them that moe fwacky was the best mod

Kusuguttai on
    edited February 2010
    Nope.

I generally like the PAX Q&A's. I've been 6 now, that one was definitely the worst. '07 and '09 were overall better PAXes than '08, though.

ASimPerson on
    edited February 2010
    07 was wonderful
    08 was great because of pipe and viv and a bunch of people who werent there in 07

but yeah i think overall 07 was a better pax

Kusuguttai on
  • the Professorthe Professor PONY ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE PONY ROMNEY WILL CUT YOUR FUNDINGRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did anyone yell WHY AM I SO BALD at PAX yet

Bonus points

-if they shaved their head till it was slick and smooth

-if someone wearing a pig mask came along as well

:lol::lol:

the Professor on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

just who do mike and jerry think will win in the epic battle between pirates and ninjas

Sars_Boy on
    edited February 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    07 was wonderful
    08 was great because of pipe and viv and a bunch of people who werent there in 07

but yeah i think overall 07 was a better pax

Yeah, in terms of just the expo 2007 was better because it was the first year in that convention center and it was just less crowded. Last year it was manageable again because of the increase in space (they took over the 6th floor) but I'll still miss the relatively line-free experience of 2007.

'Course, it that was also my first one, so maybe that's nostalgia talking.

ASimPerson on
    edited February 2010
    that was my first one too dog

Kusuguttai on
  • the Professorthe Professor PONY ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE PONY ROMNEY WILL CUT YOUR FUNDINGRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    no seriously, I need to know if anyone's done the PIGBALD skit at PAX yet

If it hasn't, I'll call up some guys

the Professor on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just got my copy in from Amazon yesterday. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I wish the book tour continued north into the frozen wastelands of Toronto, but I suspect PAX East is going to be the closest thing we'll get to that sort of thing.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Just got my copy in from Amazon yesterday. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I wish the book tour continued north into the frozen wastelands of Toronto, but I suspect PAX East is going to be the closest thing we'll get to that sort of thing.

Amen brother, however I think there is a possibility of a PAX north. Never count out rabbid crazy Canadians and thier pruchasing power...

Teburninator on
  • TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have recieved it. It is magnificent. Only read the foreward and their opening because of *sigh* my exams. CURSE YOU EXAMS!D:

Where did you order it from?

Also, I like how this is trampling all over my thread from last week.

Sorry for the late response, I got it from Indigo Canada D: and their high priced books. Also, sorry about your thread mate! I'm kinda new to this forum posting stuff.

Teburninator on
    edited February 2010

Some of my favorites:

This is a library, you can't curse in here! There are childen! Motherfucker! Ohhhhhh.

If you could be any kind of tree, what kind of tree would you be...?

The whole gamer boyfriend scenario. Mike telling that girl (gamer grrrrrl?) about all the features of Rez foreplay while Jerry sang a sea shanty on stage.

The Felicia Day banter. I PUT *insert disease here because I can't remember what he said* ON THOSE POSTERS. Now he's only licking it harder!

Lots of questions about stuff I am interested in got answered as well. The DnD podcast, the side-project comics, PATV stuff, etc etc.

If you have the means to go to one of these things go! IT'S FREEEE.

I am also 105% sure we destroyed parking in those neighborhoods for 2.5 hours as well as any chance at studying in that library.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • BookBanterBookBanter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Had a lot of fun meeting Mike and Jerry at the signing at Belmont Library yesterday. Just did a post on it with some photos. Also got the chance to interview the guys for BookBanter, and the episode featuring the interview should be up April 1st. As for high points, there were so many, though the Felicia Day discussion was certainly very entertaining.

BookBanter on
    edited February 2010

Some of my favorites:

This is a library, you can't curse in here! There are childen! Motherfucker! Ohhhhhh.

If you could be any kind of tree, what kind of tree would you be...?

The whole gamer boyfriend scenario. Mike telling that girl (gamer grrrrrl?) about all the features of Rez foreplay while Jerry sang a sea shanty on stage.

The Felicia Day banter. I PUT *insert disease here because I can't remember what he said* ON THOSE POSTERS. Now he's only licking it harder!

Lots of questions about stuff I am interested in got answered as well. The DnD podcast, the side-project comics, PATV stuff, etc etc.

Hepatitis! But, yeah, the sea shanty was definitely the highlight of the night.

ASimPerson on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This all sounds like fun, hope it ends up on PATV

Ivar on
    edited February 2010
    no seriously, I need to know if anyone's done the PIGBALD skit at PAX yet

If it hasn't, I'll call up some guys

you know that jerry hates that and that is why no one says that anymore right
    like you realize you can get infractions for saying it iirc

Kusuguttai on
  • CrimoireCrimoire Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I haven't purchased my copy as of yet. I plan to tonight when I go see them at Barnes and Noble, quite excited. I am already anxious to get my hands on the book by all the excerpts you all have been tentatively dangling in front of me.

Crimoire on
    And They Nodded Politely And Went Away.
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My copy shipped in yesterday.

I like it. I like it a lot.

I'm not quite sure where the best place to ask this is, but does anyone else's copy have the last two paragraphs of 'Soldier's Lullaby' placed at the end of 'Are You Really a Woman'? I mean, it's an odd place for those lyrics to be.

YggiDee on
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    YggiDee wrote: »
    My copy shipped in yesterday.

I like it. I like it a lot.

I'm not quite sure where the best place to ask this is, but does anyone else's copy have the last two paragraphs of 'Soldier's Lullaby' placed at the end of 'Are You Really a Woman'? I mean, it's an odd place for those lyrics to be.

Yep, same thing in my book - I assume it's just an error with the first run or some subset thereof.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Awww, I was hoping to have a ~unique~ copy.

YggiDee on
  • AmethystineAmethystine Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Finally! I just found that mis-print/mistake in the Lyrics section, as well. I've been searching on here for almost an hour to find that at least someone else noticed it.

I hope Tycho knows. I'd be mad if something I wrote and got _published_ was messed up like that.

Does anyone reading this know if the mistake has already been found and fully acknowledged by someone working at Penny Arcade?

Amethystine on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ... and that mistake would be?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    necropostin errday

Abracadaniel on
  • AmethystineAmethystine Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    The last two paragraphs of 'Soldier's Lullaby' are placed at the end of 'Are You Really a Woman', on the next page.

Sorry, I should have quoted the posts above mine that said what it was. I was sort of responding to them, so I thought anyone reading my post would look up and see that.

Amethystine on
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, does anyone know if any of the Penny Arcade books have Paint the Line in them?

Seriously, I would pay money just for those strips alone.

BigBear on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BigBear wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know if any of the Penny Arcade books have Paint the Line in them?

Seriously, I would pay money just for those strips alone.

Splendid Magic, pages 90-93.

SabreMau on
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, thanks SabreMau.

BigBear on
    edited July 2010
    Actually, this thread is relevant again, as I just got my copy of Volume 6 last week!

It seems like the quality is down a little bit versus the last Dark Horse yearly, but I haven't done a direct comparison yet. It's still good to get back to the yearlies, though.

ASimPerson on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There were a couple noticed errors. On page 71, the bottom of this page is cut off. "Wait... Isn't this content also accessible" is the in the book, "on the PS2" is cropped and missing. Also, on page 58, Tycho wrote "Yarnmaster Graal, seen on the left" when Graal is on the right side in both panels he's in, and he's not even in the leftmost panel.

SabreMau on