As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 2-24-10: It's all in the timing

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Graphic Violence
Batman & Robin #9 finishes strong, I don't really get the complaints out there that Dick is being mischaracterized, Morrison has a good handle on him throughout the whole series. And he references other series without being super invasive, and I want to see Cameron Stewart on this book again, screw Quitley. Stewart knows how to draw fight scenes that make good on one page. Love this guy's art:
br9a.jpg

And then they use a lazarus pit to save Batwoman and her dad shows up to get them all out of the tunnel and get back to Gotham:

br9b.jpg

br9c.jpg

br9d.jpg

and then Dick and Batwoman beat up the clone and Damien kills him and then Dick hits on Batwoman and could probably make her switch sides because he's that cool. And Dick points out Tim was right, Batman is still alive somewhere.

And Superman #697, still good, kind of rushing things to tie in with Adventure Comics and all the Legion stories showing up soon, but this was a fun Krypto scene:

s697a.jpg

I like how you have to play fetch with a Superdog using a steel rod.

TexiKen on

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Bit confused with Blackest Night 7
    I thought it was fairly established that Luthor didn't want to be Superman, that he wanted humanity to ascend without an aliens help, to prove he could be superior to the Man of Steel

Is that not right?

EDIT: Also the general stupidity that
    Nekron apparently just stands there wailing on that thing while any number of potential hosts is there ripe for taking it.

DarkWarrior on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bit confused with Blackest Night 7
    I thought it was fairly established that Luthor didn't want to be Superman, that he wanted humanity to ascend without an aliens help, to prove he could be superior to the Man of Steel

Is that not right?

EDIT: Also the general stupidity that
    Nekron apparently just stands there wailing on that thing while any number of potential hosts is there ripe for taking it.

maybe he doesn't mean literally be a kryptonian but he wants to have superman's effect on the world and be the world's inspiration like superman is? i don't know

Rans on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Luthor
    wants Superman's fame and adoration. He wants everyone to look up to him the way they look up to Superman. It's always been about the ego and what he feels he deserves, by virtue of him being Lex Luthor.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SCALPED #35 was really awesome - great done-in-one character story. Highly recommended.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I do think Im turning gay for Taskmaster.

avengerstheinitiati3300.jpg
    avengerstheinitiati3301.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Oh... DW.

I like how you didn't show
    how he managed to get away from fighting two of the Warriors Three.

Crimsondude on
    edited February 2010

Oh... DW.

What do you mean? Is mine missing a page? All I saw was
    him using a shield in one panel
    and then it switches to Diamond Back and then to the next pae I posted

DarkWarrior on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last page of Blackest Night #7? Fuck. Yes.
    I'm just a) a big fan of Sinestro, and b) a huge fan of any resolution that doesn't make Hal into the White Lantern.

BostonGangler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Oh... DW.

What do you mean? Is mine missing a page? All I saw was
    him using a shield in one panel
    and then it switches to Diamond Back and then to the next pae I posted
    I think that Taskmaster struck a bargain with the Asgardians behind the scenes between those two moments.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think he was just capitalizing on the fact that they were surprised at having seen Ares get bisected by Sentry. A mortal really stopped being their concern at that point.

Peeps Chicken on
    edited February 2010
    I think he was just capitalizing on the fact that they were surprised at having seen Ares get bisected by Sentry. A mortal really stopped being their concern at that point.

He specifically raises the possibility of becoming a traitor right before then. I don't think he would unless that line of thinking was going to come to fruition later on.

Robos A Go Go on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Luthor
    wants Superman's fame and adoration. He wants everyone to look up to him the way they look up to Superman. It's always been about the ego and what he feels he deserves, by virtue of him being Lex Luthor.

Even if he does, it's kinda silly for him to just flat out say it. Even if he is drunk on orange light, it comes off as very clumsy.

Lux on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought New Avengers was pretty fucking great. Especially Spider-Man's line at the end:

"You guys wouldn't believe the crazy night we've had!"
    *looks around room and sees an angry Nick Fury, and Steve Rogers*
    "Ok, you guys win. Your night was crazier."

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited February 2010

He specifically raises the possibility of becoming a traitor right before then. I don't think he would unless that line of thinking was going to come to fruition later on.

All I know is, fucker is cool. He was so thrilled when Thor went down and Osborn stole his podium spot.

EDIT: and while I'm not as gay for Ghost.

*Upon looking at Asgard*
    "Assessment: I have died and there has been a large clerical error in my afterlife assignment"

DarkWarrior on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Batman & Robin #9 finishes strong, I don't really get the complaints out there that Dick is being mischaracterized, Morrison has a good handle on him throughout the whole series. And he references other series without being super invasive, and I want to see Cameron Stewart on this book again, screw Quitley. Stewart knows how to draw fight scenes that make good on one page. Love this guy's art:

People such as me feel that Dick has been mischaracterized in this arc because, well, he has. Back in the Return of Ras Al Ghul storyline, Dick has a rather long fight scene against Tim where he convinces Tim that using the Lazarus pits to bring back people you love from the dead is wrong. Then, during the first Nightwing arc by Tomasi, this is brought up again in a conversation between Dick and Tim about how using the pits that way is wrong.

And in this arc, Morrison has completely ignored that, which sucks. This arc would have been far more believable if, say, Talia had stolen the corpse and tossed it in the pit. The other option for keeping this in character would have been not to rush getting Bruce back in the cowl, and slowly develop Dick breaking down under the pressure until he feels he has no choice. Dick doing it at this point is just out of character for what's been developed over the past few years.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
    edited February 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Luthor

Even if he does, it's kinda silly for him to just flat out say it. Even if he is drunk on orange light, it comes off as very clumsy.

He was wrapped in the lasso of truth, dude.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2010
    AspectVoid wrote: »

People such as me feel that Dick has been mischaracterized in this arc because, well, he has. Back in the Return of Ras Al Ghul storyline, Dick has a rather long fight scene against Tim where he convinces Tim that using the Lazarus pits to bring back people you love from the dead is wrong. Then, during the first Nightwing arc by Tomasi, this is brought up again in a conversation between Dick and Tim about how using the pits that way is wrong.

And in this arc, Morrison has completely ignored that, which sucks. This arc would have been far more believable if, say, Talia had stolen the corpse and tossed it in the pit. The other option for keeping this in character would have been not to rush getting Bruce back in the cowl, and slowly develop Dick breaking down under the pressure until he feels he has no choice. Dick doing it at this point is just out of character for what's been developed over the past few years.

It isn't ignored. His prior reluctance to use the pit is referenced in this very issue.

Robos A Go Go on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    AspectVoid wrote: »

It isn't ignored. His prior reluctance to use the pit is referenced in this very issue.

Also well

A person saying that something is wrong when someone else does it and then trying to do it themselves and then regretting it is kind of really like a completely understandable thing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Except he doesnt regret it. He comes back making jokes and pretty much ignores the whole thing and now believes Bruce is alive and going to go find him. He got to be evil without any consequences, guilt or regret. Even Batwoman, who "died" (murdered by Dick if you want to get technical) for his sins was brought back and Dick even makes a pass at her in the middle of all this as if it wasn't a big deal that he just used a pit of evil in an attempt to bring Bruce back to life, the same Bruce that has condemned Ra's for using it, the same Bruce who has refused to make use of it in any way and the same pit he tore a strip off of Tim for contemplating using for the same damn reasons.

But ya, totally in character.

KVW on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As he says in the comic, this is Bruce, who's saved the world over and over, if he has a chance at living again he'll take it. That's really callous to someone like Tim but it is true.

And Dick killing someone, he killed the Joker once. And hitting on redheads, that's what he does, even when the world is falling down around him.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2010
    Sorry Tex but KVW has it, its bad enough it being set amongst some of the stupidest characters (that sadly represent Britain) but its all just terrible, terrible characterisation. I mean if thats IN-Character for Dick then his name is very apt.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2010
    The logic that bringing your mom or best friend back means having to bring everyone back doesn't apply to bringing Batman back. Batman's a special order of human and his contributions make him especially deserving of a second chance. Bringing him back to life could mean saving everyone's lives somewhere down the line. That makes him worth it.

Granted Batman himself would reject the notion for inane moral reasons, not because it's logical but because heroes are supposed to turn down things like this, but Dick wouldn't care so long as Batman was alive. And yeah, if the corpse had been Bruce's, Dick would have Batman back.

As for why Dick is so happy at the end of the arc, I imagine it has something to do with learning that Bruce is indeed still alive. Why wouldn't he be happy, even considering his missteps?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2010
    The logic that bringing your mom or best friend back means having to bring everyone back doesn't apply to bringing Batman back. Batman's a special order of human and his contributions make him especially deserving of a second chance. Bringing him back to life could mean saving everyone's lives somewhere down the line. That makes him worth it.

Granted Batman himself would reject the notion for inane moral reasons, not because it's logical but because heroes are supposed to turn down things like this, but Dick wouldn't care so long as Batman was alive.

And yeah, if the corpse had been Bruce's, Dick would have Batman back. As for why Dick is so happy at the end of the arc, I imagine it has something to do with learning that Bruce is indeed still alive. Why wouldn't he be happy, even considering his missteps?

But how did that thing even get switched with the real one? Its all just so retarded.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2010

Granted Batman himself would reject the notion for inane moral reasons, not because it's logical but because heroes are supposed to turn down things like this, but Dick wouldn't care so long as Batman was alive.

And yeah, if the corpse had been Bruce's, Dick would have Batman back. As for why Dick is so happy at the end of the arc, I imagine it has something to do with learning that Bruce is indeed still alive. Why wouldn't he be happy, even considering his missteps?

But how did that thing even get switched with the real one? Its all just so retarded.

There was no real corpse. There was only the fake corpse, the only one to avoid destruction. Bruce didn't leave a corpse behind.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys are ruining the MOTW thread. Go to the bitching thread.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Except he doesnt regret it. He comes back making jokes and pretty much ignores the whole thing and now believes Bruce is alive and going to go find him. He got to be evil without any consequences, guilt or regret. Even Batwoman, who "died" (murdered by Dick if you want to get technical) for his sins was brought back and Dick even makes a pass at her in the middle of all this as if it wasn't a big deal that he just used a pit of evil in an attempt to bring Bruce back to life, the same Bruce that has condemned Ra's for using it, the same Bruce who has refused to make use of it in any way and the same pit he tore a strip off of Tim for contemplating using for the same damn reasons.

But ya, totally in character.

I feel like this only holds up if you consider the Lazarus Pits inherently evil. Which, I'll be honest, is something I've never understood. If I had a magic pit that would restore dead things to life, I'd be using that shit all the time. Dog gets hit by a car? Lazarus Pit. Forgot to water the ficus tree? Lazarus Pit. Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton? Lazarus Pit!

And really, Batman and Robin has largely been about how Dick isn't Batman. He's going to do things that Bruce's moral inflexibility wouldn't allow him to do, and when he falls on his face, he's not going to wallow in his failure like Bruce would. He's a bit too lackadaisical for that. It may not be entirely consistent with decades of continuity, but it's pretty consistent with how I view the character's personality.

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys are ruining the MOTW thread. Go to the bitching thread.

Yes, please. I am too poor to buy comix this week, so I am came in here hoping to see some awesome stuff.

DouglasDanger on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Steve's scenes in New Avengers are my MotW. Last page of Blackest Night was great as well.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited February 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Steve's scenes in New Avengers are my MotW. Last page of Blackest Night was great as well.

I liked Sinestro cock-blocking Hal even more.
    BN2-2.jpg

Giant Sinestro construct is just too perfect.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2010
    Man, that moustache is wonderful.

I guess my motw is finding out about Hickman and Weaver's Shield thing. Man, that looks awesome as hell.
    39023095.jpg

Science Adventure Hero Leonardo Da Vinci, why did no one think of this sooner!

Weekly Crisis Hype Machine talked about it too.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure Deadpool #20 has cemented Hit-Monkey as the breakout character of 2010.
    First, Spider-Man allows Hit-Monkey to blow Wade to pieces, knowing Hit-Monkey will leave the city once he believes Pool's dead. Then they start their own Marvel Team-Up!
    161c2hf.jpg
    But that's just a Pool-O-Vision delusion, and Spidey and Wade double-team Hit-Monkey, with little success. Deadpool's momentarily incapacitated, and Spider-Man takes a bullet in the shoulder, prompting a repentant Hit-Monkey to put down his guns and halt the fight. Enter Deadpool.
    fwu92p.jpg
    I'd been waiting for Hit-Monkey to fire guns with his feet, and when it finally happened, I was so happy.

Munch on
    edited February 2010
    You bastard Munch I just gone done resizing them. Well I'm still gonna post them
    deadpool020004.jpg
    deadpool020022.jpg
    deadpool020023.jpg
    deadpool020024.jpg
    deadpool020026.jpg

deadpool020031.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hit-Monkey is amazing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My moment of the week is when the normal cops is talking to the camera after Volstagg in Thor #607, because I always like it when average guys do cool stuff in superhero comics, and I like it even more in Marvel right now where the public seem to be prejudiced morons filled with unreasonable metahuman hatred.

Solar on
    edited February 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    My moment of the week is when the normal cops is talking to the camera after Volstagg in Thor #607, because I always like it when average guys do cool stuff in superhero comics, and I like it even more in Marvel right now where the public seem to be prejudiced morons filled with unreasonable metahuman hatred.

Hey, remember that awesome time the cop, fireman and paramedic jumped Captain America?

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2010
    Dammit, enough with bitching, please.

DouglasDanger on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wasn't bitching. I was talking about an awesome moment.

Solar on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Carlo Barberi needs to be on a book full-time.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2010

Darkseid left one Batman-clone corpse so that when he hit Batman with the Omega Sanction (which would get rid of the real Batman), they would find "Batman's" corpse

Garlic Bread on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hit-Monkey is amazing.

So I need to go back to my LCS and buy Hit-Monkey?

cardboard delusions on