As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Greed On!] Greed Corp -- Euro Digital Board Game Crack - Now on IOS!

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
greed-corp-685x300.jpg

Nov 2 2011 update:

Now on IOS (iPad only) 4.99. Online support. http://www.iosnoops.com/appinfo/greed-corp-hd-for-ipad/468398642

Available Now on PSN and XBLA
On PC in April

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7dpdgPtjco

Why share when you can have it all? Greed Corp is an online multiplayer strategy game in which you battle for dominance over a world once rich in resources. In order to prevail, exhaust all the remaining resources to build an army, and then use the depleted collapsing terrain to your advantage. An extensive campaign mode and multiple unlockables prepare you to take the battle online. Will you defend your territory or sacrifice it to keep it out of enemy hands? Manage the finite available resources to build your army and use the unique collapsing terrain mechanic to your advantage, all while the mist grows closer ...

Strategic challenges: The innovative land collapsing mechanic creates intense strategic battles with your friends. Earn trophies and titles, playing as one of four factions in bite-sized matches of around 20 minutes.

Single-player: The single-player campaign provides more than ten hours of gameeplay, including a tutorial and 24 unique maps.

Multiplayer: Take the battle online with friendly and ranked two, three, and four-player battles spread across 36 unlockable maps, complete with optional voice chat.

Difficulty levels: Customize your matches with any combination of local, online, and computer players with three difficulty levels.

Harvesting: blessing or curse?

Gain credits by harvesting layers of land. But be careful, because harvesters will slowly destroy the tiles in the area around them. Harvest too much and the playing field will start to crumble, making depleted tiles collapse to their doom.

A true tactician understands the offensive value of a harvester as well, using it as a weapon and strategically causing destruction to both opponent and playing field.

Produce and fight!

Spend the credits you extract from the ground to build your army and rid the land of enemy forces and buildings.

Place harvesters to consume the land around you and turn it into credits.
Construct armories so that you can produce walkers and summon carriers.
Assemble walkers to engage in battle and conquer and occupy tiles.
Call upon the help of carriers to transport walkers over larger distances.
Build cannons and purchase ammunition to fire at enemies at long range.

Four factions, four campaigns

Experience a story of epic proportion while traveling across the world in four mini campaigns, introducing you to the four factions and their motives.

The Empire: A great display of military power. Organized. Strict. Relentless. Maintaining balance by force, keeping peace by deterrence.
The Cartel: A web of corporations. Excelling at pulling everything that’s valuable out of the earth. Fast. Efficient. Thoughtless.
The Pirates: Travelers, merchants, mercenaries. They have found a lucrative way to support their decadent lifestyle, effectively trading resources and weapons between the Cartel and the Empire.
The Freemen: Preservationists in a world divided by greed. All they want is to be left alone, to live in peace.

Multiplayer the way you want it

2-player, 3-player, and 4-player matches each provide a very distinct multiplayer experience. Battle head to head or turn to politics and deception to emerge victorious against multiple opponents.
Create a match with any combination of local, online and computer controlled players. Get some people on the couch, invite online friends, and mix it up with digital opponents.
Three computer player difficulty levels, ranging from Beginner to Expert, are available to provide you with a challenge fit for your skill level.
Play for fun in friendly matches, or go ranked to dominate the online leaderboards.

Tycho wrote:
What's weird is that now, with him seated squarely at the table, having precisely the sort of experience I've long encouraged, I'm trying to get him back in front of the television with Greed Corp.

Greed Corp could be a much broader game if it wanted to be, but it doesn't: it wants to be a boardgame with global reach and perpetual urgency. The hexes give away these intentions, to an extent, but the game it most reminds me of is Moonbase Commander. If you recognize this name, then good; it marks you as a person of discernment, a being who understands that the purpose of a man goes somewhat beyond mere respiration. If that name rings no bells, stop what you are doing - just stop it, stop doing that - and weep. Weep great, wracking sobs for your aimless youth, spent in sickening whorls of progressive degeneration.

Both games put a deceptively small set of tools in front of you. Both games are turn-based, with (what I would call) aggressive shot-clocks that purposefully lead their designs toward immediacy rather than beardy chin-twiddles. Not that I'm opposed to chin-twiddling in absolutely every case. I would direct you to my own chin - a chin weathered by years of errant, thoughtful massage. What I might suggest is that these games purposefully create a space that aims to defy a purely rational approach. They'd still be good games, even in the absence of the clocks. But they wouldn't be these games.

Fidgit's Tom Chick is not wrong that a better tutorial would go a long way, or that (as a general concept) opportunities for users to customize the experience a bit more would be welcome. All true. Not sufficient to dissuade a fervent recommendation, though, of the demo at the very least. Greed Corp is also among that increasingly rare breed of games you can play with people who are at your actual house. Your friends don't have to go home so you can play with them. It's weird, to be sure, but that's how things are now.

I would have played far more Greed Corp, but I was goaded by shame and rage into reclaiming my progress in Heavy Rain - not via some cackling hard-disc haruspex, but the old fashioned way, by investing my dwindling hours here on this Earth. I had to make absolutely certain I wouldn't fuck it up this time, or that it wouldn't get fucked up by an anomalous field or ray, so I leveraged nearly twenty folk rituals simultaneously. Some of the birds are lost somewhere in the house. There's salt everywhere now, and cloves, every auspicious herb or mineral has been employ'd.

I've beaten it, now - typically that's how you'd say it, that I (me) have beaten it (the game). In reality, I feel as though the game has defeated me in some way, manipuating me for its own ends, foundering me emotionally. I was threshed by it, at its culmination; sugar cane is the model, pounded until every sweetness is gone.

IGN Review -- 8.8/10 + EDITOR'S CHOICE AWARD
Spend a little time with it, though, and you'll find Greed Corp. is successful at creating both an original world and a new board game -- make that a digital board game for which a real-world counterpart wouldn't be possible.

If you fancy yourself a fan of either turn-based strategy games or heady board games, you'll definitely want to check out Greed Corp.

Team Xbox review -- 9.2/10 EDITOR'S CHOICE AWARD
While five units might seem a little bare, Greed Corp‘s unique landscape lends itself to a whole lot of strategic gameplay. For example, if you can manage to build a harvester close to some enemy units, you can use its self-destruct option to destroy the hex it’s built on, as well as collapsing all of the adjacent hexes by one level. Time it just right and you could send everything your opponent has built down into the mist and knock him out of play. And why take out one platoon of walkers, when a well-placed cannon shot could potentially trigger a chain reaction and take out that same platoon, as well as an adjacent armory? Of course, while you’re plotting and scheming on how best to wipe out your enemies, you can’t afford to lose track of your own units’ positions—otherwise, the ground could literally fall out from under you ...

Greed Corp is, hands down, one of the best times I’ve had playing an XBLA release.

Anyone else buy? Launch Trailer is awesome =)

Screens:

greed-corp-20090812111453863_640w.jpg

GreedCorp_screenshot_7.jpg

GreedCorp_screenshot_2.jpg

Bamelin on

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hadn't even heard of this game! But it definitely looks interesting. I think I'll check it out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Catan actually maintained a community for a long time (you can still get games going during prime time) ... niche board game titles like this actually often DO have legs on XBLA (and maybe PSN too).

Definately picking this up tonight.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    AVAILABLE NOW?

FUCK.

Just yesterday I read something about how this was supposedly PSN exclusive, but was now listed as Xbox as well. So I watch some videos. Catan + Civilization? Fuck. Yes. Please.

And I can go home. Tonight. And download it.

I SHALL DO SO.

EDIT

I was gonna get Darwinia but I think this may be more of my style.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm still debating on PSN or XBLA version. I have basically no space left on my 360, however, not sure which version will "last" the longest in terms of community.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm guessing 360 by default.

You should get it on 360 so I'll have someone to play with. :P

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Downloading this for the 360 right now, because I'm weak. I'll post up impressions when I actually get the chance to play the game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    how many points is this, and does it support local multiplayer?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really dislike buying anything on my 360 (on 5th unit), also because I have 0 space on my HDD which means deleting stuff I own. I have Catan on 360 but no board game equivilant (well age of booty might count sort of) on my pS3

With that said, I DO have a 1200 points card lying around. I might bite on 360 this time.

Meh maybe I'll get it on both.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    how many points is this, and does it support local multiplayer?

800 pts (or 9.99 on PSN), 4 player multiplayer.

There is a single player campaign but it's built from the ground up for multiplayer. Think of it as a turn based board game and you are on track. edit: added in some screens to OP

Bamelin on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I can see getting this.

Wait though, any local multiplayer, like hotseat or something?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This looks intresting, will definately try out the demo.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Really hope there is local multiplayer.

Sheep on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does this have local multiplayer?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

YES
    Multiplayer the way you want it
    2-player, 3-player, and 4-player matches each provide a very distinct multiplayer experience. Battle head to head or turn to politics and deception to emerge victorious against multiple opponents.
    Create a match with any combination of local, online and computer controlled players. Get some people on the couch, invite online friends, and mix it up with digital opponents.
    Three computer player difficulty levels, ranging from Beginner to Expert, are available to provide you with a challenge fit for your skill level.
    Play for fun in friendly matches, or go ranked to dominate the online leaderboards.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I can see getting this.

Wait though, any local multiplayer, like hotseat or something?

According to the developer's website, you can have any combination of multiplayer in a game. For example, a 4 player game could have you and someone on your couch, a CPU opponent, and someone online:
    W!Games wrote:
    Further customize matches with any combination of local, online, and computer players (three difficulty levels)

EDIT: Beated. :(

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

From the IGN review "Any combination of players can get greedy both locally and online."

I am buying this as soon as the PSN store updates. I've been waiting ever since I first saw the game last month.

edit: Beated, I thought the IGN quote sounded like you could do splitscreen+online at once. This is even more awesome, thanks deadlyrhetoric!

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well then in that case SOLD.

Sheep on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, fucking sold. I may play this with a friend tonight dang.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's really good. I like that the "combat" isn't random, it's purely strength in numbers.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's really good. I like that the "combat" isn't random, it's purely strength in numbers.

From what I can see the whole "economy tied to destroying your own land" mechanic makes for really interesting gameplay ... also drives expansion as the only way to win is to use up what you own and continually take new territory.

In the trailer it shows one guy that looks like he is dominating and it's all GONE in one cannon shot.

That was fucking awesome.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If anyone is interested I found a 2 part walkthrough of a 1 on 1 match on Game trailers. It really shows off the mechanics of the game well, including combat.

Link: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/greed-corp/11881

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Played the first level, I'm liking it so far. Relatively intuitive, the only thing I'm unsure of is the mechanic that determines how many walkers are blown up when a cannon attacks a hex.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anymore impressions? I'm dying here at work. Been waiting for this game to hit for a couple months now

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Off topic, but did any of you guys happen to get Darwinia?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The closest I got to Darwania was the reviewers pack ... had to give the actual code to one of our reviewers.

The reviewer pack was ridiculously awesome though.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I thought the PSN Store would have updated by now, but it hasn't yet. I thought updates were usually live by 5ish EST. I can't wait to play this.

Edit: Found the game through the search function. looks like the store front hasn't been updated, nor could I find it by looking for it in all games.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Still debating PSN or XBLA purchase. *bleh* will decide after The Testers episode 2

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I picked this up, definitely interesting. I'll play a couple more levels after dinner and give more detailed impressions.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm liking it quite a lot so far, still figuring out some of the mechanics (not quite sure how far a turret can shoot for example) but I'm really enjoying the strategy. I get the feeling that I am going to get stomped online when I finally do go on.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Grabbed it myself. Yet to give it a try though.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The AI is kicking my ass and I'm still in demo mode D:

Great little strategy game though, I bet 4 player will be a hoot with alliances and backstabbery

Bamelin on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh god I am loving this game.

Im looking at the leaderboards and people have already played a hundred matches. Geez.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You should mention in the OP that this comes to PC in april. I'm personally super excited by this.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Any word on differences between PS3 and 360 versions?

Also how are you guys finding it getting into matches on 360/PSN? Difficult/easy?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Played the first level, I'm liking it so far. Relatively intuitive, the only thing I'm unsure of is the mechanic that determines how many walkers are blown up when a cannon attacks a hex.

5 of them, according to the tutorial. I admittedly have not done any studies. Hitting land is far more beneficial to me.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

5 of them, according to the tutorial. I admittedly have not done any studies. Hitting land is far more beneficial to me.

It's definately 5 that get blown up. I'm still trying to figure out how the range (of cannon shots) is determined.

Protip: Harvesters are cheap implements of doom especially in the late game

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, air-drop troops and building a harvester on the last island of the enemy is basically the ultimate 'fuck you' to the enemy.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can you drop a harvester the same turn you airdrop a troop and take over a land?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yep! Of course, the enemy can always capture it back and them make it self destruct, limiting the damage it does somewhat (though potentially creating big chain reactions). And since you can only have 16 walkers in a hex, and ties go to the attacker, no hex is ever truly safe from the airdrop/harvester attack.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Team Xbox review -- 9.2/10
    While five units might seem a little bare, Greed Corp‘s unique landscape lends itself to a whole lot of strategic gameplay. For example, if you can manage to build a harvester close to some enemy units, you can use its self-destruct option to destroy the hex it’s built on, as well as collapsing all of the adjacent hexes by one level. Time it just right and you could send everything your opponent has built down into the mist and knock him out of play. And why take out one platoon of walkers, when a well-placed cannon shot could potentially trigger a chain reaction and take out that same platoon, as well as an adjacent armory? Of course, while you’re plotting and scheming on how best to wipe out your enemies, you can’t afford to lose track of your own units’ positions—otherwise, the ground could literally fall out from under you ...

Greed Corp is, hands down, one of the best times I’ve had playing an XBLA release.

Bamelin on