As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Utah: Now you can go to jail for having a miscarriage!

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Dammit, Utah.

rndmhero on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    They should introduce legislation to behead women who don't birth a son to their husbands.

Only one son? I say the legislation should demand two sons from these worthless females, and make it illegal for them to read!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kistra wrote: »
    Apparently this law was submitted in response to a case where a 17 year old girl couldn't afford a medical abortion so she hired some thugs to beat her up hoping it would cause a miscarriage. Previous laws protected women, basically saying they could do whatever they wanted to their own bodies.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13547012

"A 17 year olf girl paid someone to terminate her 7 month along pregnancy"

"That's terrible and should never happen again"

"I have an idea! Let's beef up our sexual education curriculum in public schools, and get rid of that abstinance only crap that has been proved to be pretty much worthless. That way there will be fewer 17 year olds with unwanted pregnancies"

"No, we couldn't possibly do that, think of something else"

"Okay, how about we make 'planned parenthood' style services easier to access. That way the next time a 17 year old does get pregnant when she doesn't want to, it will be more likely that she will end the pregnancy earlier and safer, instead of paying a dude to beat her up.

"That doesn't work either, think harder"

"Fine. Instead of trying to prevent everything that led up to it, we'll just make it so the next time that happens we can send her to jail for it. And since we're a bunch of old white mormon guys, well make the language really broad and not think about the effect it will have on all women in the state"

"There. Done. Now, was that so hard?"

Thrack on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »
    I'd be for nuking the whole state, but they've got some pretty scenery here and there.

So let's just hit SLC.

Too many Mormons would survive if we just hit the city. How about we compromise and use some sort of poison in the drinking water or large scale deployment of poisonus gas? The scenery would survive that.

Poison the water.

Put the antidote in the booze.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd be for nuking the whole state, but they've got some pretty scenery here and there.

So let's just hit SLC.

Too many Mormons would survive if we just hit the city. How about we compromise and use some sort of poison in the drinking water or large scale deployment of poisonus gas? The scenery would survive that.

Poison the water.

Unfortunately, SLC is technically the sane part of Utah.

Fencingsax on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah all the REALLY crazy people live in the middle of nowhere so they can practice polygamy away from prying eyes.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

So let's just hit SLC.

Poison the water.

Actually, antifreeze should do the trick. In a very clumsy and not-really sort of way.

Cervetus on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

So let's just hit SLC.

Poison the water.

Unfortunately, SLC is technically the sane part of Utah.

Thats why we poison all the water in the state. Putting the anitdote in booze is brillant. But we should put it in coffee and caffinated soda as well. Mormons don't drink that either. The crazies all die, and the normal people are fine. It's a flawless plan.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does the 17 year old that hired people to beat her deserve to be in jail?

It is a horrible situation to me, but my first response is "she needs help" not she should spend the rest of her life in jail. Obviously the utah lawmakers disagree, but it seems like we can all agree they are silly gooses. What do you guys think is jail or some sort of counseling more appropriate?

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So if we nuked Utah... exactly how much would we lose, and would they be acceptable losses?

Wait for me to leave first.

So let's just hit SLC.

This is where all we liberals live!

In all honesty though, I don't forsee this law having any legs when it hits the courts. The representative responsible for this bill has a history of pushing through message bills fully aware that they'll get repealed at some point.

Edit: I also mentioned this bill in the state and local politics thread.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It is a horrible situation to me, but my first response is "she needs help" not she should spend the rest of her life in jail. Obviously the utah lawmakers disagree, but it seems like we can all agree they are silly gooses. What do you guys think is jail or some sort of counseling more appropriate?

Putting her in prison is stupid. Since she has proven to be fertile, they should find a way she can repay her debt to society. Maybe she could bear children for an infertile couple? A sort of handmaid for them, if you will.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited January 22
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

So let's just hit SLC.
    Poison the water.

Even better: use their magic underwear as the delivery vehicle.
    Havelock wrote: »
    Fucking LDS church is perpetually balls-deep in politics.
    Better keep them women barefoot and uneducated.

Pretty much. They had their fingers (and wallets) deep in the fail-pie that was Prop. 8 over here in California. I think there was investigation into their donations to the Pro-8 campaign, but I don't know what, if anything, came of it.

But this stuff here is pure silly goosery.

Before we go overboard on some of the genocidal talk, I'd just like to mention that my family (not me) is Mormon. My sister is an active Mormon, and she was actively against Proposition 8

This one, I think.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This law seems to be ill-conceived, but I don't see the problem with women having some responsibility towards the health of her fetus. For example, if you couldn't stop drinking and you gave your child FAS, you obviously bear some responsibility for that. Although a life sentence isn't really the solution for that, obviously.

Coinage on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Coinage wrote: »
    This law seems to be ill-conceived, but I don't see the problem with women having some responsibility towards the health of her fetus. For example, if you couldn't stop drinking and you gave your child FAS, you obviously bear some responsibility for that. Although a life sentence isn't really the solution for that, obviously.
    This is exactly why providing actual prenatal support to people who can't afford it is very important. Helping with the actual birth is a lot less useful than providing assistance and education in the months leading up to it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Isn't this the same state that proposed doing away with the 12th grade as a cost cutting measure?

Utah: They're just full of great ideas.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Isn't this the same state that proposed doing away with the 12th grade as a cost cutting measure?

Utah: They're just full of great ideas.

Also known as the place where everything closes at 10. Worst place in the world to be stuck on a business trip with no bars.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Putting her in prison is stupid. Since she has proven to be fertile, they should find a way she can repay her debt to society. Maybe she could bear children for an infertile couple? A sort of handmaid for them, if you will.
    There's no such thing as an infertile marriage.

If there were, the "natural order" opposing argument to Prop 8 wouldn't make any sense.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

(3) A person is not guilty of criminal homicide of an unborn child if the sole reason
    for the death of the unborn child is that the person:
    (a) refused to consent to:
    (i) medical treatment; or
    (ii) a cesarean section; or
    (b) failed to follow medical advice.
    74--(4) A woman is not guilty of criminal homicide of her own unborn child if the death of
    her unborn child:
    (a) is caused by a criminally negligent act of the woman; and
    (b) is not caused by an intentional, knowing, or reckless act of the woman.
    Wait, so this is saying you're not guilty if you ignore (or don't get) medical advice / treatment?

I'm more concerned about the part where the exception for involuntary miscarriage only applies if they're caused by a criminally negligent act. Is there another clause that we're missing, or did a stray 'and' just criminalize every single involuntary miscarriage?

Edit: Never mind, that's handled earlier within the definition.

jothki on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cows are sacred in India, fetuses are sacred in Utah.

.... I don't know what this means.

emnmnme on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

They're both delicious?

jothki on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

Fetusburgers.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They should introduce legislation to behead women who don't birth a son to their husbands.

let's not be barbaric
    stoning it is

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, it's like.. it's like we've got our own little Australia. Baren wasteland with a whole bunch of crazy mcfuckers running the local government. The only thing now we need is animals that ooze poison.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Isn't this law mostly aimed at stopping back alley abortions, not at abortions in general.

Tanolen on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »
    Isn't this law mostly aimed at stopping back alley abortions, not at abortions in general.
    How?

I mean, that might have been the causative reasoning, which I find suspect, but I don't see how it would actually help. I mean think about this: in order to prevent back-alley abortions we will imprison women who are desperate enough to try.

It's like punishing suicides with life in prison. The idea that it will be a preventative measure is insane, because the situation it attempts to prevent doesn't exist due to a lack of consequence.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »

The law is most definitely aimed at women who lose a pregnancy while not directly under the care of a doctor intending to have an abortion.

The vague wording is disturbing. By the letter of this law a woman could be charged with criminal homicide for taking a drug that she needs to stay alive but has a known risk of causing a miscarriage. Think immunosuppressants for women who have had organ transplants, think some anti-psychotics, think chemo.

1) it was a knowing action
    2) it wasn't criminal negligence
    3) it wasn't failure to follow medical advice

It also creates miscarriage as a crime unless it falls under the exceptions. And while the exceptions should cover most instances, it is deeply disturbing to me that the base state is that having a miscarriage is a crime unless demonstrated otherwise.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How much law enforcement time is going to be wasted trying to determine if a miscarriage was illegal or not?

Tomanta on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Wow, it's like.. it's like we've got our own little Australia. Baren wasteland with a whole bunch of crazy mcfuckers running the local government. The only thing now we need is animals that ooze poison.

Yeah, no. We're nothing like Utah, thanks.

So, has anyone kicked off the usual "mail your used tampons to the local police so they can check if you're a criminal" campaign yet? Because those are always fun.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1267131424416.jpg

Saint Madness on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Coinage wrote: »

Theoretically, this law could punish women for driving cars, since that has a much higher chance of harming a pregnancy than a glass of chablis (leaving aside the fact that there's still a lot of debate about the medical underpinnings of things like FAS).

Obligation may exist (I don't believe it extends any further than the lengths you're expected to go to to care for a live child, and that's only if you plan on completing the pregnancy), but the law is not the place to define it.

In fact, I think a lot of the "stupid laws" stories we get are directly rooted in people trying to use the legal system to regulate things that its just not built to cope with.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just wanted to give a thumbs up for this subtle bit here.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1267131424416.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA, did you make that?!

Henroid on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So there's a story about two Canadian teachers performing a lap dance at a school prep rally, and in the article I read about it Utah was referenced:
    Since 1992, the Utah State Board of Education suspended 313 teacher licenses, and 208 of those were for sexual misconduct. In 2005, the state of Utah was ranked 16 in the US for teacher sex offenses, according to KSL.
    I wonder how many of those stuations were benign.

Henroid on
    edited February 2010
    If Utah women are angry over this proposed bill, their baby-making parts should go on strike. No pregnancies = no abortions or miscarriages. I suggest all Utah women carry around the largest corks or drain stoppers they can find to add some symbolism to the strike.

emnmnme on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man America, this is why you can't have nice things. Please ignore Alberta in your scathing replies kthx.

Robman on
    edited January 22
    -

Andrew_Jay on
    edited February 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    It is simply infeasible (not to mention unconscionable) to attempt to blame the mother for any injury to her fetus as that would completely control what she can are, where she worked, basically everything she did, 24/7, for 9 months.

Making a law doesn't mean you have to monitor all pregnant women 24/7. If a woman intends to give birth to her baby, it should be illegal for a woman to endanger the fetus with alcohol, drugs, skydiving, etc. I've never heard of a woman intentionally trying to give her baby brain damage or somesuch so it must be too rare to be made into a law.

If you saw a pregnant woman drinking a beer and a joint while enjoying a tan, I would hope you have the stones to slap the can and the butt out of her hands and ask her what the fuck is her problem.

emnmnme on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So there's a story about two Canadian teachers performing a lap dance at a school prep rally, and in the article I read about it Utah was referenced:
    Since 1992, the Utah State Board of Education suspended 313 teacher licenses, and 208 of those were for sexual misconduct. In 2005, the state of Utah was ranked 16 in the US for teacher sex offenses, according to KSL.
    I wonder how many of those stuations were benign.

I demand you link that article

Trus on
    qFN53.png