As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WebComics - Because we're too cheap and too lazy for the real thing

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its not a style for everyone. Some people are just turned off by certain styles. Like, I'm turned off when people look like they have saggy breasts on their forehead. I know some people are turned off when the heads are way too big for the bodies, and vice-versa.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    they have saggy breasts on their forehead.

what is that referring to, cause im trainwreck-curious.

PantheraOnca on
    edited January 2010
    they have saggy breasts on their forehead.

what is that referring to, cause im trainwreck-curious.

retailgods.net

I'm sorry to say this, but it does have "trainwreck" written all over it

cshadow42 on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    The latest Crimson Dark made me laugh.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Washington Post is a lame silly goose paper, but they have a vote going on for best webcomic of the decade. Vote for your PA!

Least I Could Do is winning, but I read the last few strips and it sucks. And I love the Perry Bible Fellowship but its just a numbers thing compared to PA.

TexiKen on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Achewood is not on that list, shameful

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Just don't let 4chan get a whiff of this; they'll rig the vote :-p

cshadow42 on
  • MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have put up another page for the UPGRADES storyline www.contractcomic.com

MAD! on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Gunnerkrigg Court is pretty awesome.

00000603.jpg

00000604.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited January 2010
    Another fun webcomic is Knights of the Dinner Table.

Its done frequently as an accompaniement to the magazine (to which I subscribe).

cshadow42 on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone heard of Axe Cop? It's relatively new, and pretty friggin funny if you ask me

redraptor on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    2d9b9li.gif

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • ducknerdducknerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thread lacks Dresden Codak and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. The former started out dark and absurdist, adopted a sci-fi plot, and is now doing stuff that's really its own thing. Absolutely fantastic art, too. The latter is daily, nerdy single-panel comics very heavy on misdirections and poor taste.

ducknerd on
    edited February 2010
    To be fair though, Dresden Codak only updates every second or third blue moon.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Let's Be Friends Again has been on a roll lately.

Munch on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just found out about Nedroid, and holy crap. Read it, it's hilarious.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited February 2010
    Errant Story is taking pre-orders for volume 3.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I used to read Errant Story... and all I could think of was that man he needed someone to take over the actual writing for him. Is it still like that, or has he gotten better? I always enjoyed the art, and I liked the gist of the story, but the actual writing was killing me.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I don't know, I never really had a problem with it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, hey - are you guys talking about..... webcomics?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited February 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Oh, hey - are you guys talking about..... webcomics?

Yes. Yes we are.

cshadow42 on
    edited February 2010
    Fancy that.

On topic edit: Sidekick Girl needs to update more than once a week, damnit!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    achewood is great.

DouglasDanger on
  • lemlem Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Wondermark is hilaryus.

http://wondermark.com/

David Malki, the artist, scans old engravings and pictures from 19th century books and photoshops them. Result is enormous hilarity. There isn't a plot or even a set of recurring characters, but there are certain themes that he continues to ficus on, like prihanamooses and elephants riding unicycles. In my mind quality has been going down a bit lately but the archives are totally worth reading.

2008-09-09-441obama.gif

lem on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can someone explain achewood to me, cause i really dont find it funny at all. I haven't read every strip they've done, only a handful really, but i just don't like it.

PantheraOnca on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I probably should post this in H/A but since this thread is here i might as well ask first.

I've recently remembered a webcomic that was rather disturbing- it was in straight Black and White (i think/ may have had some colors here and there/greys but it was mostly black and white) and it was in 7 parts or so?

I remember there was one scene with a character wandering around an abandoned trainstation and, pretty much, there were strange turns that didn't really make sense. However, the art was fantastic and I'm interested in seeing if the guy who did that has go on to do anything else.

some further help, i believe i remember the artist had a rather fucked up side comic about a kid who was thrown into the trash. It was a weird mix of cute, funny and totally disturbed.

If anyone can help me in my search, it would be greatly appreciated.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited February 2010
    Can someone explain achewood to me, cause i really dont find it funny at all. I haven't read every strip they've done, only a handful really, but i just don't like it.

I don't know how to describe Achewood. Housecats, stuffed animals, a squirrel and a couple of robots have weird lives and sometimes have magical realist adventures. Not all "comics" are comical. Achewood is not aiming for a laugh with every comic.

DouglasDanger on
  • Boston House PartyBoston House Party Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haven't seen it posted, but Sin Titulo is an absolutely amazing mystery comic with gorgeous art, unfortunately the updates are sparse now since the dude works on real life comics as well, but it's still worth a read.

Boston House Party on
    edited February 2010
    http://www.shadowgirlscomic.com/

I just tripped over this one, and I like it. Lots of people with real problems on top of the ah... supernatural(?) problems.

Edit: From the character profiles page:

Charon McKay

At the age of fifteen, Charon disappeared from the small coastal town of Innsmouth. When she turns up, she is incoherent and raving; and slightly more surprising…pregnant. No one knows who the father is and even Charon is unable to remember what happened to her. Despite the difficulties she’s faced, Charon is completely devoted to her daughter and does her best to shield Becka from her questionable lifestyle. But Charon is unable to shield Becka from the abilities they are manifesting and the creatures that are hunting them.

Rebecca McKay

Rebecca’s life has been mostly normal as such things are measured. She is aware of the events of her birth and the effect that it has had on their lives in Innsmouth. Rebecca is a good student and loving person that honestly wants to believe the best in people. But her soul is put to the test when she begins to develop dark powers in the face of an ancient and terrifying evil. Even though her new abilities are powerful, it his her will and heart of gold that carries her through dangers that would break men twice her size.

Christmas Snow

Christmas Banks-Snow is a child of privilege who has gotten almost everything she’s wanted her entire life. The only person who has ever stood in the way of her wants and demands was Charon McKay and as far as Chrissy is concerned she won her husband from her thirteen years ago. But the victory rings hollow and over the years the bitterness she has nurtured has infected her only daughter. Chrissy has everything that should make her happy in life…but it’s never been enough.

Lindsey Jun Yeoh

Lindsey discovered early that there are people in this world who will seize any opportunity to isolate someone for their differences. Rebecca McKay comforted Lindsey that day on the playground, and from that day on they were inseparable. But years of being ostracized at school had taken their toll on her, and when Misty Snow offered her a choice between popularity and her friend…she chose popularity. She even convinced herself she also was doing it for Becka. But when she discovered what Misty and her friends had actually planned, she was horrified at the girls and disgusted with herself. Lindsey immediately made her way out to the cornfield to rescue her best friend. She succeeded in helping Becka, but she is tortured by the guilt of her choice.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The main way of most people who now like/love Achewood is to at first start at the beginning, wondering what the hell everyone else sees in this weird comic. You then slowly understand how the characters work, their POV of everything, until you reach the point where you're invested in Ray's and Roast Beef's and a lot of everyone else's developments. Bonus points if you've gotten their vocabularies.

Wearingglasses on
    edited February 2010
    I talked/posted like Roast Beef after I read the whole thing in a weekend.

DouglasDanger on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've also started IMing like Roast Beef, all small caps and lacking punctuations

Wearingglasses on
    edited February 2010
    People looking to get into Achewood should start with The Great Outdoor Fight, read it to its conclusion, and then go back to the beginning of the strip and read the rest. That whole storyline's a good primer for the tone of the series.

Munch on
    edited February 2010
    Here's a new (at least to me) webcomic: Zahra's Paradise
    Its a non-amateur webcomic. Takes place in Iran, and examines socio-political things. My impression is that its the webcomic version of Persepolis.

cshadow42 on
  • Boston House PartyBoston House Party Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Here's a new (at least to me) webcomic: Zahra's Paradise
    Its a non-amateur webcomic. Takes place in Iran, and examines socio-political things. My impression is that its the webcomic version of Persepolis.

This is fantastic, I love his art style.

Boston House Party on
    edited February 2010
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited February 2010
    Hey, Chris Sims and Matt Smith did another Solomon Stone comic. For those who never read the first, Solomon Stone stars a skateboarding vampire detective wizard. It's thoroughly ridiculous, and quite a bit of fun.

Munch on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is it as ridiculous and awesome as Axe Cop

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Well, in the first installment he fights Tyrannosaurus Hex, the dinosaur who is also a wizard. And in the second he tries to figure out whether a murdered man's business partner, maid, or wife killed him. Oh, or a robot named Killtron 3030.

Axe Cop set the bar pretty high, so I don't want to say it's as ridiculous and awesome, but it's pretty good.

Munch on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I enjoyed that, and then it ran out D:

Do you know what the update schedule is like?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg