As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installation problem for Radeon 5770

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
Evening, all,

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to update my power supply and video card. Specifically,
Power supply: ModXStream-Pro, 600 W

Video card: XFX Radeon HD 5770

The PSU seems to be running just fine. I removed my old card (GeForce 7600), uninstalled the drivers, disabled the onboard driver (GeForce 6100). I have downloaded and installed the drivers for the new 5770.

My mother board is an Elitegroup MCP61P, old and crappy but it does have a PCI-Express with X16 lane, so I think it should work.

The card is installed, and I connected a power cable to it. Currently, the PC is not detecting it at all. It's not listed under the Device Manager or Belarc; they both only list the 6100. The monitor is working fine if I plug it into the standard monitor port. If I plug it into the card (using a DVI-VGA adapter), nothing.

Any ideas?

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Check the BIOS? Maybe you have to disable onboard video and enable you other card.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I didn't have to do that when I installed the 7600, but I'll give it a shot.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If that didn't work, it could either be that the card is DOA or your motherboard needs a BIOS update (not sure why, but it's possible).

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    I didn't have to do that when I installed the 7600, but I'll give it a shot.

thats cuz the 7600 is older
    bios updates on motherboards often add support for newer cards some mobos are ready others might need a little tweaking (bios)

drivers also might need to be downloaded

and some psu's arent giving enough power to more recent cards so make sure you got a psu that has at least 650wt

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    and some psu's arent giving enough power to more recent cards so make sure you got a psu that has at least 650wt

That depends on the PSU's amperage on the 12v rail. The Corsair 400watt can support a 5770 just fine because it has a 30amp 12v rail.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That depends on the PSU's amperage on the 12v rail. The Corsair 400watt can support a 5770 just fine because it has a 30amp 12v rail.

brownie poins for Dark Shroud, i did not know that at all thx for the heads up

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    brownie poins for Dark Shroud, i did not know that at all thx for the heads up

The 5700 series & lower cards are hard to place especially compared to previous series because they consume so much less power than what's been the norm for years.

I'm also thinking it's a bios issue like you said before.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I checked BIOS. The primary video source (I forget the exact wording) is set for PCIex, and dual monitor is off. The card does support dual monitors, so I might need to turn that on to make it work even though I'm only using one monitor (it doesn't make any sense, but none of this makes any sense).

The PSU says 25A on the 12V rail, which I think should be enough, and 600 W overall which is definitely enough (the card needs only 450). I'm thinking that I'll need to flash BIOS, which will be interesting as I've never done it before. I guess it's a good thing I have a snow day today so that I have the time to work on this. Or the card is just fritzed.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll be back with more stupid questions once I mess up the BIOS flash.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah the 5770 consumes like no power. I have a 350W Antec PSU and it runs great. Even running max benchmarking stuff my computer only draws 250W from the wall.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to start the process over, delete all my video drivers, and reinstall the drivers for the new card. And, somehow, it worked. Thankfully I didn't have to do the BIOS flash.

Bioshock 2, here I come.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Yeah the 5770 consumes like no power. I have a 350W Antec PSU and it runs great. Even running max benchmarking stuff my computer only draws 250W from the wall.

Whew, this is good to know. I have a 400W PS, and my 5770 is on its way. I was told it will be fine, but I was still a little worried.

Michael H on