As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deadly Premonition: Twin Peaks + Open World + Zombies + Clunkiness - NOW ON XBOX LIVE

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They should add the first line of the IGN review to the box.

Turkey on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Put some time in today. It's pretty much what I expected so far, I can't wait 'til the game opens up a bit for me though. Going through the hospital right now.

I'm purposely not shaving as well. I want to see how far I can take this.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, anyone know if this is PAL compatible? 'Cause I think we can bank on it never getting an EU release.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, anyone know if this is PAL compatible? 'Cause I think we can bank on it never getting an EU release.

It's not. And there's a pretty decent chance Rising Star will publish it since it's a Marvelous game.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Haha, York's smile is priceless.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Never even heard of this game but Irony is not one of IGN's grading criteria, so whether or not it was intentional a bad game doesn't really deserve a high score.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Never even heard of this game but Irony is not one of IGN's grading criteria, so whether or not it was intentional a bad game doesn't really deserve a high score.

But it's not a bad game that's the thing. At least not "2" bad. The text in that review seemed unnecessarily malicious.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

But it's not a bad game that's the thing. At least not "2" bad. The text in that review seemed unnecessarily malicious.

He probably got assigned to review it instead of something else he wanted to review.

"Fuck this fucking budget game. I wanted to review Heavy Rain!"

Clevinger on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The comparisons to Blue Stinger that I keep finding in comments sections have sold me on this game.

My Rock Band band name? Large Hassy.
    Its singer? Eliot G. Bilade
    Bassist? Dogs Bower

My friend got me a HAT that says LARGE HASSY at one of those horrible hat making places.

I own both a Japaneese (with no means of playing it) and English version of Blue Stinger.

I actually have a framed Japaneese "Blue Stinger" LAUNCH POSTER.

I have no idea why, but I love me some Blue Stinger. Lets do this, Deadly Premonition.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    York is a lovable dick. I love how he antagonizes others for no reason at all. I also like his reactions to the supernatural events.

Just how long is this game? I keep playing, and Episode 1 just doesn't end.

Tip for those starting out: On the second creepy area, take all the items before killing the last enemy. A cutscene will trigger upon killing the last one.

Turkey on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait, they changed the original game to be LESS like Twin Peaks?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The devs are from UK, yet they still haven't announced a PAL release date. Do it! The game seems so strange it's fascinating me.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    York is a lovable dick. I love how he antagonizes others for no reason at all. I also like his reactions to the supernatural events.

Tip for those starting out: On the second creepy area, take all the items before killing the last enemy. A cutscene will trigger upon killing the last one.

Bah, I missed that. Could you
    that for me? Just curious what happens.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Bah, I missed that. Could you
    that for me? Just curious what happens.

The items?
    I'm referring to the hospital. It's just some healing items and ammo. The shotgun monsters all drop items, at least in that scene, but if you try killing them first like I did, you don't get the chance to run around picking the items up.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sorry, I misinterpreted. I thought you meant if you manage to get all the items around before killing the last enemy some kind of special cutscene occurs. My mistake.

Can't wait to play some more later tonight. Left off at the lumber mill. Wonder how far I am from Episode 2, where apparently the world opens up more.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Have you gone out at night? According to the manual, it seems like a bad idea.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nah, I'm still in episode one which has been largely linear point A to B stuff so far. I'm dying to get to Ep 2.

I gotta say that I've come to grips with the combat, and I really don't have any major issues with it. It definitely feels dated but it's serviceable.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just reached the lumber mill.

Unsettling.

Turkey on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just finished the Prologue and holy crap... I should not be laughing at how odd and offbeat this is. It's the stupidest things too. Like when you meet the sheriff and he announces his name not once, but twice, AND THEN the game stops to pop up a little note of his name and that he's the sheriff.

It's certainly got the Twin Peaks weird vibe going. That and a heavy dose of PS1/early PS2/Dreamcast third person horror going. Plus, how can you go wrong with a guy who can surf the internet on a laptop, smoke a cigarette, talk on a cel and drive his sports car in the rain.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It definitely was. Last I left off it was early in the lumber mill and I saved at a phone that was ringing with a distorted voice on the other line. Despite having low production values and a largely more comical focus on the characters and plot I still feel a tad bit unsettled in some scenes. Nothing like what I get from say Silent Hill, but it's definitely creepier than something like RE5.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It definitely was. Last I left off it was early in the lumber mill and I saved at a phone that was ringing with a distorted voice on the other line. Despite having low production values and a largely more comical focus on the characters and plot I still feel a tad bit unsettled in some scenes. Nothing like what I get from say Silent Hill, but it's definitely creepier than something like RE5.

You're a minute or two away from some fucked up stuff.

Edit - I just figured out that crates tend to contain items inside them.

Spoiler of late lumber mill:
    You get locked in a few times while in the lumber mill. In at least one of those times, if you open the map you can see that there's someone behind the door. For some reason I found that really creepy.

Turkey on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved how the cop got angry at me at the hospital because I supposedly went in ahead, even though I was in the parking lot next to them, thus being about 20 yards away from the door, and pressed B to observe the sheriff because I hadn't done so yet. I'm not being sarcastic either, it was great. I bet it would've done it even if I chose to talk to them.

Seriously though. Sidequest availability times. How do I read them. 26 is not a real hour.

Gilder on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Figured out the sidequest times, and I swear they don't tell you this anywhere, not even the manual. They're chapters. None of the quests show Chapter 5 and that's a chapter where you can't talk to anybody. So be careful, there's at least one quest that has exactly one chapter it's available in. I think I saw another one too. Chapters 18 and 26 if I recall. I'm not sure what triggers a quest to be available, but I would guess it has to do with their schedules. So you would need to just drive around or go to sleep while you wait for it. You can check on your map if someone has a quest up as well. Just move the cursor over them and if they have a mission ready it'll show up.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The whistling song was posted on the SA forums.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wiziliqgnzy

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    C'mon, where is everybody?
    The whistling song was posted on the SA forums.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wiziliqgnzy

Ha, I could go without it as the song just gets stuck in my head anyway.

'bout to resume where I left off in the lumber mill.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I picked up a copy of this today and the gold box set of Twin Peaks. I'm enjoying both so far. Haven't progressed very far into the game, but I love how very nearly goofy it is.

Nice change of tone from Heavy Rain. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    useful tip I saw at SA:
    There's an infinite use item that can be acquired fairly early on and allows for instant fast travel to most of the places on the town map. Aside from the obvious convenience, it's also super nice because no game time seems to elapse when you use it and your car seems to teleport with you.

To get this item, pick the flower down the street from the lumbermill when it's raining (there should be a flower icon on the map to help you find it). Give this flower to George at his home late at night. I caught him at about 22:00, but as long as he's home and it's before midnight you should be fine.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh sweet, thanks for the tip. That'll help a lot.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Episode 1 completed in just under 6 hours. God this game's gonna take a while.

I've enjoyed the racing challenges, if only because they take into consideration the awful handling of the police vehicles. I took a wrong turn and accidentally "parallel parked" on a stairway mid-challenge, and I still had more than enough time to finish it.

Turkey on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, shit. This looks .. well, not awesome, but definetly drunk playing with friends playable!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And for the polar opposite of IGN's review, Destructoid gave the game a 10/10.

It's going in the "so bad it's good" direction, which I don't really agree with.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    At least Destructoid gets it. Big ups to them.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shit. I need this game in PAL so badly.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I picked this up today while out running errands. I can't wait.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One of the characters in episode 2 looks a lot like Gabe Newell, and it's not a fat joke.

Turkey on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It took about two minutes of reading this OP for me to order this sucker off Amazon. This is gonna' be awesome. :D

Sorenson on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heh, so check out the Metacritic page on this game. There are two reviews, one from Destructoid, one from IGN. They are polar opposites and yet both are perfect examples of why neither site can be taken seriously.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just reached the first quest that forces you to spend time outside after midnight.

Geez.

Turkey on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heh, so check out the Metacritic page on this game. There are two reviews, one from Destructoid, one from IGN. They are polar opposites and yet both are perfect examples of why neither site can be taken seriously.

The Destructoid review actually sold me a copy of the game

If it ever comes out for PS3 anyway

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET