As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twisted Pixel Thread - Ms. Splosion Man OUT NOW! 800 POINTS! RAVE REVIEWS!

mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
This is the new TWISTED PIXEL THREAD. The OP will be haphazardly updated as I get free time at work.

What's the latest breaking Twisted Pixel news?

6/23 - Ms. Splosion Man release date: July 13!

also THE GUNSTRINGER is now a full fledged retail release!

3/4/11 - In depth Ms. Splosion Man preview!
Gunstringer Hands On!

ms-splosion-man-logo-530.jpg
Ms. Splosion Man
Price TBA, XBox Live Arcade. Fall 2011

What's it like?
It's the follow-up to the absolutely amazing Splosion Man. It promises to be more awesome than Splosion Man, but that's about all we know. Have you seen the trailer? Watch the trailer?

Ms. Splosion Man Reveal

Now go here for an awesome interview that covers basically everything you would need to know at this point. Key differences in the 2 games (for example, Splosion Man has a penis, and Ms. Splosion Man has a vagina) are covered. An interview with Twisted Pixel's Josh Beard.

More Info!
-In this game the cakes from Splosion Man are replaced with shoes. And when you find the shoes in any given level, Ms. Splosion Man will wear them for the remainder of the level.
-There's a hub world, kind of like Mario Brothers 3. This will totally replace the level select. It's going to have a bunch of really neat features, like hidden shortcuts (again, like Mario 3), and a neat way to point out crazy difficult levels. They will be red, for those who wish to avoid them.

the-gunstringer-logo.jpg
The Gunstringer
Price TBA. XBox Live Arcade. KINECT TITLE. Release Date TBA.

What's it like?
It's a western, Kinect, Arcade title! The game is going to play as an on rails shooter (think REZ), where you manipulate the puppet Gunstringer with your left hand, and using your right hand, you'll aim at targets, and make a shooting motion (flicking you pistol up towards the sky, kind of like some awesome recoil) will fire the bullets.

Some quick info:
-You can play this sitting down if you so choose.
-It's designed to be an interactive puppet show, complete with an audience who will be cheering you on as you play.
-Twister Pixel promises no "forced movements".

Eurogamer has a really good hands on: Gunstringer Hands on!

What have they done?

themawlogo.jpg
The Maw
800 MS Points ($10), 3 DLC levels for 80 Points a pop ($1)

Whats it like?
The Maw is pretty cool, pretty simple and pretty relaxing. You play as Frank, an alien, who has to lead his new friend The Maw throughout a bunch of cool landscapes. The thing is, there are obviously obsticles in Frank's way, and he's pretty tiny. That's where Maw comes in. Maw eats things, which allows him to take on the properties of said things. Eat a fire lizard and he can breathe fire, burning down trees that have been blocking your way, for instance!

It's a fun little puzzle game. With no way to die, you simply play through, figuring out how to best eat things in order to get to the goal. There's really no true 'difficulty' to it, it's just a matter of playing it until you figure it out. It's not as funny as the other Twisted Pixel games, but it's a good way to spend an afternoon.

splosion-man-hits-xbla.jpg
'Splosion Man
800 MS Points ($10), 2 DLC levels available in the game Comic Jumper

What's it like?
It's like the best platformer ever. I can't say enough positive things about this game. It's exactly what I've always wanted in a current gen platformer. Slick graphics, a great sense of humor, an absolutley FANTASTIC score, leaderboards, fast levels and a hell of a difficulty curve.

You take Splosion Man from one end of the lab to the other, that's it. Along that way you use exploding barrels, and your own exploding body, to propel you as fast as you can towards your goal and out of harms way. Water, scientists, robots, lazer beams, spikes, they all will try to stop you from reaching the end. But your love of donuts, meat and a healthy hatred of SCIENCE! will drive you to complete this amazing game. Twice even! Because running through this game on HARDCORE MODE - where if you die, you restart the level - was the best and most challenging achievement I've ever gotten. Buy this now. NOW! UPDATE: IT'S GOING TO BE $2 ON BLACK FRIDAY!

Now - this.

comic-jumper-the-adventures-of-captain-smiley.jpg
Comic Jumper
1200 MSPoints ($15)

IT'S OUT NOW. GO GET THE TRIAL, AT LEAST, THEN MEET ME BACK HERE.

Back? How awesome is Captain Smiley's ringtone?! Hilarious, right? Here, make it your ringtone too - Right click and "save as"

What's it like?
You play as Captain Smiley, and trek through 4 comic books with unique art styles and gameplay. They are, Modern, featuring bold colors, Fantasy, which features washed out colors and watercolor backgrounds, Silver Age, which is presented in cel-shaded graphics, and Manga, which is presented in black and white. It's good. It's easily the funniest Twisted Pixel game. It has some genuine laugh out loud moments, and overall is one of the funniest games I've ever played, period. But the gameplay itself is a little average. Not awful, just nothing that makes me keep coming back for the GAME. Since beating it, I've returned a couple times just to watch and listen to it again, but never have I really thought "I want to PLAY this again!", just I want to "SEE this again!" All that said - there is ABSOLUTELY $15 worth of content here. It IS hilarious, it LOOKS fantastic, and holy shit the EXTRAS. Never has an XBLA game had so many extras. Avatar Awards, a premium theme, 2 Gamerpics, 2 'Splosion Man levels (1 single player, 1 co-op), a TON of concept art, a GREAT in depth look at how the game came to be, and a TON of great music.

I think I have a new favorite developer.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
mxmarks on

• HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks great. I have played the Maw, but not full version.

I LOVE Splosion Man, can't wait for this. looks HILARIOUS

Hawk on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    5 minute dowloads don't get you thread interest.

Youtube embeddng is where it's at with the cool kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrS_79ECNZg

Shows promise.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whatever amount of money they want for this game, I will pay it.

These guys keep outdoing themselves!

<3

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've still got to try out The Maw, but I love Splosion Man, so this looks promising.

Best line
    "Looks like you're going to have to register in this neighbourhood" :lol:

PaperLuigi44 on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can tell this is Twisted Pixel from the awesome motion captured animation. It's one of the elements that really gives Splosion Man character and makes it stand out amongst the horde of existing platformers. This new one looks sick, their games continue to exceed my expectations from what an XBLA title can deliver.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This better be on psn

I wanted to play splosion man

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At the very least I want a PC version of this, which we didn't get with Splosion man

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • TreasTreas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I loved the narration of the game's features.

"'An experience unlike any other.' Who wrote that? Great copywriter."

Treas on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh my dear lord yes.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh my word, that trailer. Day freaking one. <3
    mxmarks wrote:
    I think I have a new favorite developer.

TP has shot out from nowhere to become one of my favorite recent discoveries. Love 'em to pieces.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After Splosion Man, I'm willing to throw money at whatever these guys want to give me.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eh, I thought the trailer was pretty awful. But the game sounds good so.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, after the delightfully hilarious frustration I felt at Splosion Man, I am more than willing to throw some monies at Twisted Pixel.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    HEY! HEY EVERYONE!

NEW INFO!

FIRST LOOK AT COMIC JUMPER.

Cover_001copy_1267145655.jpg

Later today when I have more time I will make a kick-ass OP.

Twisted Pixel and Harmonix. Best devs ever.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited February 2010
    It can't get here soon enough.

cloudeagle on
    edited February 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It can't get here soon enough.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    His gun is gunhead's head.

WTF

that is sick

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't see a platform, but I assume it's Xbox only?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Maw and Splosion Man are two of the best games on XBL...so yea, this is so bought it's not even funny.

Twisted Pixel are awesome. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hate to be a big dull skeptic, but something about 'Now I get to make a game about the superhero I used to draw as a kid!' sets off alarm bells to me.

Don't get me wrong, their previous two games were great and gain them massive benefit of the doubt, but I'm definately filing this under wait and see, rather than frothing demand.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited February 2010
    To me, sometimes a companies history says alot...Twisted Pixel have proven they can make some super fun games, two of my favorites on XBL.

So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, although that has bitten me in the rear in the past. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    huh this looks really fun. any word on when this is coming out?

Local H Jay on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh Em Gee. This looks amazing.

Paradiso on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    huh this looks really fun. any word on when this is coming out?

This I would like to know.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited August 2010
    We have a date! Major Nelson let slip it's coming out Oct. 6 on the 360 for 1,200 points, or $15.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/31/coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-aug-31.aspx

cloudeagle on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Loved Maw and 'Splosion Man. Will be all over this.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited August 2010
    God dammit....

Does everything have to come out all at once!? This is going to be one busy couple of months.

Skull2185 on
    edited August 2010
    I was hoping this would debut for around the price that The Maw and Splosion Man did. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I was hoping this would debut for around the price that The Maw and Splosion Man did. :(

I would have liked that too, but it's going to be a massive downloadable, weighing at around 2GB. And it's supposed to be longer and deeper than both, hence the heftier price.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited August 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I would have liked that too, but it's going to be a massive downloadable, weighing at around 2GB. And it's supposed to be longer and deeper than both, hence the heftier price.

And comes with 2 levels for Splosion Man, which I would have paid $5 for.

mxmarks on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I'm buying it anyways. Twisted Pixel have earned my cash and adoration. Splosion Man was one of my favorite games for the system...and Comic Jumper looks like an awesome throwback beat-em up, and yes, I would have paid another fiver for more Splosion Man levels. :P

So yea, I'm buying this regardless.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's SplosionMan cost?

joshgotro on
    edited August 2010
    800 ($10).

Worth every penny, and was my Game of the Year last year.

mxmarks on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need a bigger hard drive :(

Gorilla Salad on
    edited August 2010
    josh buy 'Splosion Man now.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got a 4000 MSP card coming soon. Relax.

joshgotro on
  • e2dbe2db Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I fell in love with this game after watching Giant Bomb play it. Such a strange character I had very low expectations, a fool was me.

e2db on
    parobsig.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    four player Splosion Man is game of the century

day one for me on this game

MrDelish on
    edited September 2010
    mxmarks on
    edited September 2010
    So apparantly some obscure webcomic is doing a Comic Jumper contest (which I believe is almost closed), but at the very least the artwork is pretty hilarious.

1027441488_BeU8W-M.jpg

1027441465_hQRcZ-L.jpg

Larger version

God damn I love this site.

I envy the lucky winner that gets these designs on a 360.

PaperLuigi44 on