As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop's GPU is Overheating

PhotosynthesisPhotosynthesis Registered User regular
So as the title says, my laptop has an overheating problem. I've had it for about a year, and recently when I've tried to play games, it'll go soothly for the first fifteen minutes or so, and then get horribly choppy to the point where I'm watching a slideshow. This is quite aggravating, so I installed RealTemp, and it's recording temps of about 74C when I'm just browsing the internet, and up to 116C after a bit of gaming.

So, do I need a new GPU? Do I just need to clean out my fan/heat sink? I'm a bit cautious about opening this laptop up because I'm not the best with computers, but I'd be willing to give anything a shot.

Thanks in advance.

Photosynthesis on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Post your make/model and the PA Hivemind can see about digging up a disassembly/maintenance guide for you.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How's the airflow? Is it well ventilated on a desk and hopefully propped up on one of those laptop cooling pads?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PhotosynthesisPhotosynthesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Post your make/model and the PA Hivemind can see about digging up a disassembly/maintenance guide for you.

It's an Asus G50VT.
    bowen wrote: »
    How's the airflow? Is it well ventilated on a desk and hopefully propped up on one of those laptop cooling pads?

I use it on a desk most of the time, and while I don't have a cooling stand the little rubber things on the bottom keep it propped up a couple cm.

Photosynthesis on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You'll probably need more than that. Laptops are notoriously bad for stuff like this. See if you have something laying around that you could use to prop it up that's "breathable." Maybe an in/out wireframe basket or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2010
    I have obtained a wire cookie rack thing, so we'll see if that works.

Edit:
    It's still overheating with better airflow, though it took a bit longer to do so.

Photosynthesis on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I use it on a desk most of the time, and while I don't have a cooling stand the little rubber things on the bottom keep it propped up a couple cm.

You need to get a fanbank if it's got a good GPU. I used to have an alienware laptop that overheated like a MOTHERLICKER - it literally did not work unless it was on a fanbank (and sometimes I had to put a bag of ice on the wrist area to cool it before I rested my wrist on it... :( )

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Is it still under warranty? A lot of manufacturers will put things into the laptop to help absorb heat if you complain loud enough. Had an old HP that had this issue, they popped in...I forget what the technical term was, but they were essentially pads that absorbed the heat. Reduced the heat by about 10 degrees if I recall, enough to stop it from halting (it was a cumulative effect, ambient internal temp rising, etc).

Teth on
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure that it's still under warranty, I'll call up Asus and see what they can do.

Photosynthesis on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Probably some part of the cooling system is a bit lose
    If nothing helps, get something like this. My laptop was overheating and I got the gpu (main board) replaced, which fixed the problem, but I got one anyways.
    Higher temperatures mean shorter life span, too

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg