As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CARMAGEDDON] Works in DOSbox on Win7 64-bit!

HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
So I found my old Carmageddon CD yesterday, and through DOSbox was able to get it running again. I was 12 when this came out. I played A LOT of this game. Now playing it again, I think it's still a good game.

Just being able to run over all of the pedestrians to win the race or take out the other opponents was a thrill. You could upgrade your ride. I don't think I really ever beat a race by racing anyone...

Anyone else hold the same nostalgia for this?

915131-carmageddon_box_large.jpg

What was Carmageddon?
- A racing/carnage game inspired by Death Race 2000 (the movie)
- It was released in 1997 for DOS, then ported to Windows later, enhanced for 3Dfx
- 3 Ways to Win a Race: Run over all pedestrians, Destroy all Opponents, or Be First Across the Finish Line!

DOSbox - Standard VGA:
dosbox2010022523321937.png
dosbox2010022523322114.png
dosbox2010022523341186.png
dosbox2010022523341902.png
dosbox2010022523342099.png

DOSbox - 3dfx:
dosbox2010022718314720.png
dosbox2010022719345101.png
dosbox2010022719345694.png
dosbox2010022719370713.png
dosbox2010022719375755.png
dosbox2010022719375914.png

Extras:

Hawk on

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ffffffuck yeeess!

I had way too much fun running little pedestrians over and finding places to jump my car. I actually have my CD laying around here somewhere.

That ball chain thing was the best power up. Also, I don't think I ever beat a race either.

UEAKCrash on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i was hoping there was a new carmageddon game coming. the first couple carmageddon games are all time calssics as far as im concerned. i played them so damn much.

Ah_Pook on
  • deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh. My. God.

I remember this game SO HARD.

Can we talk about the football stadium? It's like...what are all these people doing on the field? Who gives a fuck? Squish. Points.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd say that about sums up the game.

UEAKCrash on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There were races?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    There were races?

I played the hell out 2. Such a sweet game.

Why hasn't a game company done something similar these days with this style? Other than a graphical update, the gameplay is solid and should provide hours of fun!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh. My. God.

I remember this game SO HARD.

Can we talk about the football stadium? It's like...what are all these people doing on the field? Who gives a fuck? Squish. Points.

Yeah I always drove in there and tried to take out one whole team going as fast as I could down the line. You get so many points that way.

Carmageddon was truly a game that "gave you points for running people over".

Hawk on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yesssss. I loved the hell out of this game. I, on the other hand, found that it had aged rather poorly. Or my tastes might have changed. But I sunk days into that game.

There's also a newer, terrible one, right? 2000?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    truly the greatest of the 'think of the children' games

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Loop-the-loop with squishy people on the end.

Big Classy on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A friend and I played a ton of the original back when it came out...heck we even played a ton of the demo before I managed to find the full game. It was like San Francisco Rush, but even more awesome. Not many games like it on PC at the time.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    First "violent" game i ever played. Really great, i remember always trying hard as hell to get the robot skeletons car since it had a sythe thing on the front. Good times.

Canada_jezus on
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I still prefer the original carmageddon which was on the apple IIc/e line of computers. It was sort of an action rpg where you could do quests, like delivering things for people to other cities. If I remember correctly you didn't have a map so basically you had to figure out where everything was yourself. There were marauders all over the place, it was a very punishing game.

I had always hoped they would redo THAT game. It was sorta GTA I/II with guns mounted to your car.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lowlander wrote: »
    I still prefer the original carmageddon which was on the apple IIc/e line of computers. It was sort of an action rpg where you could do quests, like delivering things for people to other cities. If I remember correctly you didn't have a map so basically you had to figure out where everything was yourself. There were marauders all over the place, it was a very punishing game.

I had always hoped they would redo THAT game. It was sorta GTA I/II with guns mounted to your car.

That sort of reminds me of a game called Quarantine. You were a badass taxi driver instead.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did you know one of the Carmageddon staff members volunteered to be hit by cars so they could film it and use it for reference for the pedestrian death animations?

Great article in EDGE about Carmageddon here http://www.stainlessgames.com/news/go/75 (click the 'open pdf link at the bottom).

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I sucked at this game back when I was a kid. I just wanted to race the drat races already. I had no interest in running people over.

WotanAnubis on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I sucked at this game back when I was a kid. I just wanted to race the drat races already. I had no interest in running people over.

But...

What...

Sir, I posit that you are some kind of alien, and should be captured and dissected for further study.

MechMantis on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know, I know. It's just... when I play videogames there is no joy in killing innocent bystanders for me.

WotanAnubis on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm kinda like that with Mass Effect...

But really, in Carmageddon it is impossible not to hit a pedestrian. And you get points for it. The numbers, they go up.

And there's just something classy about driving through a crowd, then popping your doors open to get more peds, and then getting EXTRA STYLE BONUS for it.

MechMantis on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I still have the original + splat pack addon.

The physics for this game are way ahead of it's time, it's what I loved the most of it.

Satsumomo on
  • BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I played a lot of the Carmageddon 2 demo and it was more fun than a barrel full of silly geese.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
    edited February 2010
    The modding community for 2 was great, I think it's still existent, and they make some really awesome cars.

Satsumomo on
  • deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »
    And there's just something classy about driving through a crowd, then popping your doors open to get more peds, and then getting EXTRA STYLE BONUS for it.

"BONUS POINTS FOR ARTISTIC IMPRESSION!" :^:

So. Good.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »

"BONUS POINTS FOR ARTISTIC IMPRESSION!" :^:

So. Good.

Carmageddon was such an absolute blast to play. "We're throwing you some extra points because you killed this guy in a particularly entertaining way" is something that more games should include.

Elvenshae on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My parents wouldn't buy the game for me, so I just played the demo hundreds of times. Such a fun game.

Kris on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sequel? The public gets bent out of shape when you can steal cars and shoot people, what would happen in today's retarded parent theater when they find out there's a game that assesses point value based on how creative you are in running people over?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Carmageddon was a blast

good times

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had never bothered to read about this game. I always assumed it had something to do with John Carmack, which now seems funnier in retrospect.

kitch on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Sequel? The public gets bent out of shape when you can steal cars and shoot people, what would happen in today's retarded parent theater when they find out there's a game that assesses point value based on how creative you are in running people over?

Just make it for Wii and they'll be all over it like white on a Wii Wheel!

Warning ahead of time for language

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited February 2010
    Looks like the closest to a modern version of Carmageddon is Clutch. Doesn't seem like it's very good.

I think Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2 are my favorites. I think TDR2000 was really bad.

I think I'm gonna capture video of some of the other races. I wish I could figure out how to get the 3dfx portion to work, that would give me higher resolutions.

Hawk on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I recently tried TDR2000 and it's just not good at all. For some reason, 2 runs terrible on my computer..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TDR2000 has some good multiplayer maps, and its easier to get MP working. But its not nearly as good as 2.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Also, Carmageddon 2 introduced me to Iron Maiden, and for this I thank it.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought this thread was about a new Carmageddon game. Now I'm going to have to attach a fuck-off huge flail to my bumper and whip it into your face as I powerslide through a turn. God I loved that powerup.

I'm pretty sure I also remember finding some way to launch my car over a building, crash landing it into a gas station, and hitting a flamethrower or something to blow everything to hell. So awesome.

JihadJesus on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about a new Carmageddon game. Now I'm going to have to attach a fuck-off huge flail to my bumper and whip it into your face as I powerslide through a turn. God I loved that powerup.

That powerup was awful. Because it was completely responsive to physics and heavier than most cars. Especially dickish on the part of the devs was the level where they place that powerup in a tunnel, then immediately after it, place the pinball powerup. The ball slowly starts bouncing, then quickly starts bouncing, then your car starts bouncing, then you fucking explode.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2010
    So, did anyone else beat that mission in Carmageddon 2 where you have to jump from roof to roof smashing into satellite dishes?

Fuck that was hard. Most people gave up at that point.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »

That powerup was awful. Because it was completely responsive to physics and heavier than most cars. Especially dickish on the part of the devs was the level where they place that powerup in a tunnel, then immediately after it, place the pinball powerup. The ball slowly starts bouncing, then quickly starts bouncing, then your car starts bouncing, then you fucking explode.

I loved that part. I thought it was hilarious.

JihadJesus on
    edited February 2010
    Hmm, guess I'll update OP title for something that doesn't seem like it's a reboot...

Hawk on
    edited February 2010
    So, did anyone else beat that mission in Carmageddon 2 where you have to jump from roof to roof smashing into satellite dishes?

Fuck that was hard. Most people gave up at that point.

I think I beat it once, then I didn't save or it crashed or something stupid happened. I know I had to do it again and had to give up.

Hawk on
    edited February 2010
    Kris wrote: »
    My parents wouldn't buy the game for me, so I just played the demo hundreds of times. Such a fun game.

Living in Mexico, it was impossible to get any new/cool PC games. But after successfully downloading the demo off my modem, I played it forever and ever, specially when I found out that if you edited some files (The whole game was pretty much programmed in hundreds of .txt files) you could make powerups give you huge time boosts, remove the demo time limit, and even drive the other cars that were in the demo.

Satsumomo on