As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC problem: GPU fan on high, mobo beeps, but then it won't boot

midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Today I rebooted my computer and can't get it to start again. Usually when I start my PC the fans go on high for a second and then they die down to normal and it beeps, posts, and continues booting. When I turn it on all of the fans come on with the video card fan on very high, then after a few seconds it beeps once and nothing else happens (the video fan stays on ludicrous speed). I can hear the hard drive and dvd drive click/spin a bit as it tries to start but other than that it makes no noise. In order to turn it off I have to hold the power switch for 5 secs, simply pressing it once doesn't work.

PC specs are:

ASUS M3N78
AMD X2 6000+
Geforce 8800GT
4GB kingston value DDR2

Anybody have any ideas? My first guess is that the video card is dead but I don't have another one to test right now so I'd like a second opinion, heh. Also I'm not sure why the motherboard gives me a single beep just like it would if it was booting normally - if something was wrong with the video card shouldn't it give me a long beep or some repeated beeps? I tried taking the video card out and booting and it still beeped once so maybe it's a motherboard problem?

Lastly, I don't know if this is relevant but right before I rebooted it I noticed that the video card was extremely hot. This was really odd because I had only been browsing the web for the last hour or so and also because the fan speed was extremely low despite it being almost too hot to touch.

Any ideas?

midgetspy on

• Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    does this shed any light on the situation?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like the graphics card is a good candidate for a defect part. As for the one beep it may be the POST process does not detect the graphics card is dead.

The fact that you must press the off-switch for a few seconds may indicate the system hangs but it can also simply be in a booting process which does not allow it to react normally to the off-switch. That switch is really like a key on a keyboard so the OS comes into play.

If you boot the machine without the graphics card is it you impression it boots "normally"? Will the hard drive work like a normal amount and are you able to toggle "Num lock" on and off or does the machine freeze at some point?

If it was my rig the next move would be to remove the cables for the hard drive(s), get a random graphics card that fits and the boot to see what happens.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You may want to try reseating your ram and video card, or even trying each of your sticks of ram individually just to verify that one of your sticks haven't gone bad.

bigbh on