As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bigman thread! Post yer quads!

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    my diet has been shit lately and i hadn't been to the gym from basically the start of winter break in mid december, and then just started going again like 3 weeks ago, but then the end of that week i hurt myself so no gym until i am healed more

i guess i could go ride a stationary bike but that is just boring, but i really ought to

last semester i didnt miss a single workout, sigh

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The slowest thing to catch up on is my abs. A few years back I tore open the scar on the inside of my abdominal wall while doing sit-ups so I'm always all nervous

edit: well, seven and a half years ago I guess

Weaver on
  • spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    my knee feels so much better i can walk around like normal and shit now today all of a sudden

still i already cancelled going snowboarding tomorrow and its probably smart for me to wait 1 more week

getttttin betttttter

you should go anyways, just grab an ace brace and kill some mountain =P

spazmojack on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    spazmojack wrote: »
    my knee feels so much better i can walk around like normal and shit now today all of a sudden

still i already cancelled going snowboarding tomorrow and its probably smart for me to wait 1 more week

getttttin betttttter

you should go anyways, just grab an ace brace and kill some mountain =P

that is the worst advice

it's not even advice

it's more like
    SABOTAGE!

Weaver on
  • spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

it's more like
    SABOTAGE!

listen all y'all

spazmojack on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    improved my squat form a lot tonight

i still don't feel like i'm very good though

probably terrible

oh god i need a spotter

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited February 2010
    I wonder how long till I can squat again, doc was like yeah stay away from heavy square for a while even after you get back to gym but a while is unspecific

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh my god New York has a lot of snow. How can it snow for 48 hours straight? That doesn't happen in CANADA.

Mind you, we also don't totally panic over a foot of snow, but it's still lot.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ha, and those hairy naturists still going on about Global Warming!

More like Global Colding, amirite?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited February 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Oh my god New York has a lot of snow. How can it snow for 48 hours straight? That doesn't happen in CANADA.

Mind you, we also don't totally panic over a foot of snow, but it's still lot.

are you here

why are you here

yeah, this month they broke a 114 year record for monthly snowfall in central park

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited February 2010
    Housemate had a dental school interview at columbia, so our house turned it into a road trip. Sorry I couldn't lift with you! The city is much nicer than I had thought. I am really hung over. The four of us drank about 3 litres of wine last night. Jesus christ that was a bad idea.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    i too drank too much

i assume the dental school is up at the medical campus of columbia, not here at the main campus

cool

im gonna go to luke's lobsters for lunch today

that is a good place
    get some lobster roll

or currywurst nearby

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Housemate had a dental school interview at columbia, so our house turned it into a road trip. Sorry I couldn't lift with you! The city is much nicer than I had thought. I am really hung over. The four of us drank about 3 litres of wine last night. Jesus christ that was a bad idea.

I would've thought four big men could handle more than 4 bottles of wine? :winky:

Made a new PR today on my squat, which is now at a rather low 65kg (still an improvement of about 20kg in around two months. Damn I was weak). Gonna see if I can hit 67.5 or 70 kg at the end of next week.

Rasmus on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, at first I hated my gym cause it was so freaking tiny. But, after giving it some thought, it aint so bad. Sure, there's only one power rack. But it seems like I'm the only one who really use it. Also, there's a bunch of young women in the gym all the time. I'm not really sure why they're there if all they're doing is walking on a treadmill for 5 minutes and curling a 2.25lb dumbbell 10 times. But they're hot and all is forgiving. And, being a student, it's free for me to go there.

Only thing I really hate about the gym is the bench press bench have these J hooks that are like 2 and a half feet deep. A huge pain in the ass to get out of those.

Casually Hardcore on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i too drank too much

i assume the dental school is up at the medical campus of columbia, not here at the main campus

cool

that is a good place
    get some lobster roll

or currywurst nearby

oh dang i love lobster rolls

and places off the L

satansfingers on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I went rock climbing today for the first time in like 3 weeks. It was great.

My back is dead.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
    edited February 2010
    satansfingers where should i live next year and how do i convince my friend that he wants to live in brooklyn and not manhattan

preferably a place close to the AC23

wrong thread i am sorry but he was here

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Stalled on squats today. And I've been at the same body weight for like 3 weeks.

I think eating more will solve both my problems

Joe Chemo on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    satansfingers where should i live next year and how do i convince my friend that he wants to live in brooklyn and not manhattan

preferably a place close to the AC23

wrong thread i am sorry but he was here

i think williamsburg outside of bedford ave is great. it's really nothing like the stereotypes and all (well maybe a little). the L is a nice train and you can make connections with any of those. avoid anywhere off the G, because you will hate life. i don't really know much about downtown brooklyn since me + everyone i know live in the williamsburg/greenpoint/bushwick area.

satansfingers on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what do you do when the gym's closed? Improvise!

I carried a tackling dummy around, and up the stairs & bleachers to the top of the football stadium. As far as I can tell on the web, these things are 95 lbs. Was fun.

The fat-loss kick involves two workouts a day for the next six weeks, and they're all weird circuits or complexes. It's so different from what I usually do that it just might work. I'm going to try to lose ten pounds (which I have literally never done in my life, that's how bad I am at losing weight.)

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited February 2010
    i too drank too much

cool

that is a good place
    get some lobster roll

or currywurst nearby

Sadly I am back home and did not get to read those recommendations. We went to Chili Thai and Basera, two excellent restaurants (especially the first) and cheap too. We were in the theatre district, just below upper west side. I tried to eat properly but it was very hard and I am afraid of the scale tomorrow.

My housemates are two small boys who won't try Starting Strength and don't eat protein, and a 5-foot tall girl, so I had about 1.5 of those 3 litres of wine by myself. Eugh.

Gym monday, woooo!

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For a work out session that started out shitty due to epic allergies I didn't do so bad. My military press was 135lbs tonight despite my sinuses hurting and head pounding. Legs were as brutal as ever. I know odd split doing legs and shoulders same day but I feel I can isolate each group of muscles better that way.

xeroismygod on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For a work out session that started out shitty due to epic allergies I didn't do so bad. My military press was 135lbs tonight despite my sinuses hurting and head pounding. Legs were as brutal as ever. I know odd split doing legs and shoulders same day but I feel I can isolate each group of muscles better that way.

Fridays for me are squats, military press, hamstring curls, calf raises and shrugs. Legs + shoulders isn't an uncommon combination, it doesn't sound like.

Hamurabi on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i've always done legs/shoulders

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Squats-Press-Deadlift

is a good day

hectorse on
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Joe Chemo on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So milk: dehydrator?

Hamurabi on
    edited February 2010
    first of these weird circuit workouts -- high reps, short rest periods. I think I like it, but lunges are a bitch when you have poor balance.

It would be impossible to get through the workout if it weren't so brief. "Like a baby's dress: short and shitty." (That's one of my dad's expressions; somehow that's what he answers if you ask him how his day went in February.)

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    edited March 2010
    Where did you find them? If they work for you, they'd be good in the OP for people looking to cut.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Let's finish the thread off with some good news!

So, I had my powerlifting meet today, and I am proud to say that I am the powerlifting state champion for guys between 200#-242# in weight and 20-23 years of age in the state of Washington!*

Let's start with the lifts:
    Squat: 352#, 396#, 418#
    Bench: 220#, 242#, 264# (failed)
    Deadlift: 385#, 412.5#, 440# (failed)
    Total: 1072.5#

The squat was pretty uneventful, except for everyone giving me crap about going too deep. Most of the lifters came up to me and commented on it. One of the judges even jokingly reminded me that if your butt touches the floor the rep doesn't count. For the bench, the first two reps weren't a big problem, so I was feeling good for the 3rd rep. I actually got the 3rd rep up, but I had to squirm around on the bench to do it, which deservedly got red lights. The deadlift was the most exciting lift. When I walked up to the bar for the 1st rep, the head judge pointed out my socks were too short. I had 60 seconds to complete my lift. One of the loaders pulled his shoes off and gave me his socks, I had 60 seconds to take my shoes off, change my socks, get the shoes back on, and make the pull. I made it with just a few seconds left on the clock. The loader wanted his socks back, so I ran up to the front desk of the gym we were holding the meet in, and fortunately they sold me some really tall socks. The 2nd rep went okay. For the third rep, I stood up with it, but my right hand didn't have the grip, and my fingers were uncurling, I had to put the bar down just about a half a second before I got the "down" signal from the judge. I was very disappointed that I didn't make that lift since I was so close, but I made my minimum goal of totalling over 1000#, and I had so much fun I didn't care too much. There were a couple other guys from my gym, so I had guys to hang out with and talk too in between lifting, and everyone there was very friendly and having a lot of fun. This is my plaque (h-scroll?):
    808_1155.jpg

It was a lot easier to win my class since I was technically the only one in it doing all three lifts, but fuck that. I'm the champion.

The strongest guy at the meet was a 50 year old dude who weighed 180# and deadlifted 720#. What the fuck is that dude eating for breakfast?

big l on
    edited March 2010
    YOU ARE AMAZING.

Yay Big I.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    congratulations bro that is some nice shit

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuck yeah, Big L. That is awesome

TheRealBadger on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Grats L! Thats awesome.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2010
    although, hey, my scale says i lost 5 pounds in the past... well however long it's been since i checked. awesome :D

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that's a cool plaque

Sunday_Assassin on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am going to have a crack at that 1,000lb total. Maybe this month.

TheRealBadger on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That plaque takes you by the head and punches a series of bruises spelling "AWESOME" into your body

The Black Hunter on
This discussion has been closed.