As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: A Series of Tubes (Map pack out now!)

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Longest streak of running into OMA DC toobers ever. I just don't have enough class slots to have a "I'm going to be a dick back" class.

At least we won the rounds a little over half the time even with them playing like assholes.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited February 2010
    IMPORTANT This should go in the OP.

Kakos and I found out how to prevent yourself from being the host on the PC. If you block the server port from a firewall or router your game will have weird issues joining other people's games but if you go edit the
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players\config_mp.cfg file you can change some of your system settings to make it look like you have a horrible computer. Then it won't select you to be the host.

I changed the following two lines:
    seta sys_configureGHz "2" (originally 18 ghz)
    seta sys_sysMB "512" (originally 2048)

The key is you must make the file 'read only' after you are finished saving other wise mw2 will automatically change these values back. When you start up MW2 it will say some settings have changed do you want to automatically adjust settings and make sure you click NO.

CommunistCow on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Out of interest, why would you not want to be the host?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

if you have a horrible upload connection or perhaps a cap

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited February 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

if you have a horrible upload connection or perhaps a cap

People seem to get a reasonable ping to me when I'm the host but the packet loss is horrendous. Also it seems when I start a party and i have more than 2 people join me it really really liked making me the host.

CommunistCow on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MP5K is a horrible gun for horrible people. I played for about 45 minutes before I realized I completed the thermal challenge 45 minutes ago.... *facepalm*

I may just have to give in and swap coldblooded for stopping power. People giggle when I shoot them.

Why do I care about mastering the MP5?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    MP5K is a horrible gun for horrible people. I played for about 45 minutes before I realized I completed the thermal challenge 45 minutes ago.... *facepalm*

I may just have to give in and swap coldblooded for stopping power. People giggle when I shoot them.

The MP5K is the worst SMG over range. However, it is the fastest killing SMG in close range. SPAS range and closer, the MP5K will dominate any other weapon, sans a shotgun, and even then if you get the jump the first shot will knock his reticule up.

Once you unlock Extended Mags, you spray into a hallway from the hip and laugh as +75 Triple Kill! pops up on your screen.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow.... I was just in a pretty wierd game. (PC)

Infinite of everything, and no reload time. People tossing grenades/tubes around forever and ever. Occasionally you would just start floating or flying.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I take it no one got the AC-130 and completed the cluster fuck?

Mr.Sunshine on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I take it no one got the AC-130 and completed the cluster fuck?

ENEMY AC-130 ABOVE

/commence 105mm screaming 4 LIEF

edit: Man, the single Deagle is trash. Yo quiero dos.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • MoogleofdoomMoogleofdoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

MP5K is a horrible gun for horrible people.

Moogleofdoom on
    Sometimes magic sounds like tape, Robert.
    xbl: Mirage84
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skull I am in the same boat. I am slowly trucking through the FMJ challenge for the damn thing. I will not be doing another SMG mastery until next prestige.

SirToasty on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Knocked out another nuke finally. I think you're just bad luck commie.

BlindPsychic on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Which is better the SCAR or the ACR? Im enjoying the S&D, but Im not sure which gun is better suited for S&D.

Also, what the hell is the point of Sabotage? Games in that mode last like 45 seconds.

emp123 on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emp123 wrote: »
    Which is better the SCAR or the ACR? Im enjoying the S&D, but Im not sure which gun is better suited for S&D.

The Scar is pretty powerful, but has a small clip, while the ACR is insanely accurate and is arguably the better of the two. Can't go wrong with either, though.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited February 2010

Neither. FAMAS is the best gun in the game.

But to answer your question, it depends. The SCAR is more viable without stopping power, but the ACR is a more accurate weapon. On a close quarters map (where you should use a UMP45, which is the 4th best weapon in the game), the SCAR may outshine the ACR. But on, say, Derail or Wasteland, an ACR's accuracy may wind up scoring you a bullshit kill from across the map.

It really comes down to personal preference, because they're practically the polar opposites of the AR tree in terms of power and RoF. Personally, I'd use the SCAR.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I finally unlocked the ACR.

I have gone from 10-10 scores to 23-8 scores. Its like a whole new, not frustrating game.

Raynaga on
    edited February 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So I finally unlocked the ACR.

I have gone from 10-10 scores to 23-8 scores. Its like a whole new, not frustrating game.

Except now the people you're shooting with it are the frustrated ones. It's a vicious cycle of horseshit.

Just so long as you didn't use the FAMAS.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I'd be more mad about being sniped by a RDS UMP if it wasn't for the fact that the AUG's sights are just so damn good for getting long range kills.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited February 2010
    I think I'd be more mad about being sniped by a RDS UMP if it wasn't for the fact that the AUG's sights are just so damn good for getting long range kills.

What does the AUG being amazing have to do with lessening the rage from being three-shot from across the map by an SMG?

And why am I so bitter, good lord. BED TIME

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Neither. FAMAS is the best gun in the game.

But to answer your question, it depends. The SCAR is more viable without stopping power, but the ACR is a more accurate weapon. On a close quarters map (where you should use a UMP45, which is the 4th best weapon in the game), the SCAR may outshine the ACR. But on, say, Derail or Wasteland, an ACR's accuracy may wind up scoring you a bullshit kill from across the map.

It really comes down to personal preference, because they're practically the polar opposites of the AR tree in terms of power and RoF. Personally, I'd use the SCAR.

Yeah, I dont have enough class slots to make map dependent builds. So close to presitging though.

emp123 on
    edited February 2010

What does the AUG being amazing have to do with lessening the rage from being three-shot from across the map by an SMG?

And why am I so bitter, good lord. BED TIME

Yeah, the UMP's range is BS, but the AUG doesn't need anything but the iron sight to do what the UMP RDS can do. And I use the AUG a lot.

Also, I think your 3-cent Titanium tax doesn't go too far enough!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I am doing much better now...but I think the randoms that I am playing with are really limiting my game. When we are playing ground war and I am getting flanked somebody is doing something wrong.

Best score I have gotten so far is 29-5. Now that I am using my PC monitor to play I can use my PC headset and I can hear thins a lot better, like footsteps. Unfortunately I can hear other people on headsets really well now too. God I ragequit because of all of the 13 year olds.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mute button.

joshgotro on
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I played this on my friends 360. Wow the 360 controller is so much better for FPS's than the PS3. I got some adjusting to do.

Teth on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Teth wrote: »
    I played this on my friends 360. Wow the 360 controller is so much better for FPS's than the PS3. I got some adjusting to do.

If you're playing FPS games on the PS3, these might help a little:

http://www.amazon.com/RealTriggers-Playstation-3/dp/B001IAOEXU

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, I had played quite a few Hardcore Team Deathmatch games. Yet tonight was the first intentional teamkiller I ran into. Just kinda giggling the whole game, killing only his teammates. I'd have muted him, but sometimes you just need to stare into the mouth of madnees, if you know what I mean.

It's cool, though, because I know that someday he'll die bitter and alone, possibly in his mom's basement. And that brings a smile to my face.

mcdermott on
    edited February 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    You know, I had played quite a few Hardcore Team Deathmatch games. Yet tonight was the first intentional teamkiller I ran into. Just kinda giggling the whole game, killing only his teammates. I'd have muted him, but sometimes you just need to stare into the mouth of madnees, if you know what I mean.

It's cool, though, because I know that someday he'll die bitter and alone, possibly in his mom's basement. And that brings a smile to my face.

I know how you feel, when I was playing Sabotage with Brutle recently, there was one textbook case of an online silly goose on our team who wouldn't shut up, and the remaining people on our team kept making fun of him. I kept the guy muted for most of the time, but every so often I would stop and unmute him out of morbid curiosity.

I'd say it was like watching a car crash, but cars don't tend to crash for 20 minutes and make racial slurs.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If only we had that grapple that is in Just Cause 2.

To try to save a Team Deathmatch from getting worse, I aimed my Javelin out of out the series of glass windows of Highrise, while accquiring an AC130 that would surely have blown the pub team to bits.

I step out just as it locks, and let it fire as I step off.

A moment after I die from the fall, it goes down. I am not sure why it's flares didn't protect it - but it worked.

Damn awesome.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Am I the only one who can't unlock the magic power in the UMP? My friends are all running around giggling with it and I'm swearing at the stupid piece of shit that can't kill worth a damn.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    UMP is an assault rifle, treat it like one.

Fizban140 on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    IW don't release balance patches, do they?

Blurbl on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Teth wrote: »

If you're playing FPS games on the PS3, these might help a little:

http://www.amazon.com/RealTriggers-Playstation-3/dp/B001IAOEXU

I have these and they make the triggers/grip feel a lot better.

solsovly on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Musicool wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can't unlock the magic power in the UMP? My friends are all running around giggling with it and I'm swearing at the stupid piece of shit that can't kill worth a damn.

Remember that it only takes 3 shots, so don't lay down on the trigger or you'll lose sight of your victim in 2 seconds. Short, controlled bursts are the name of UMP's game. I think the Iron sights are horseshit, but are worth the effort if you use a silencer.

belligerent on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Kakos and I found out how to prevent yourself from being the host on the PC. If you block the server port from a firewall or router your game will have weird issues joining other people's games but if you go edit the
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2\players\config_mp.cfg file you can change some of your system settings to make it look like you have a horrible computer. Then it won't select you to be the host.

The key is you must make the file 'read only' after you are finished saving other wise mw2 will automatically change these values back. When you start up MW2 it will say some settings have changed do you want to automatically adjust settings and make sure you click NO.

so. . . conversely, could you jack the shit out of those numbers and guarantee being host? you know like setting your main memory to 4 billion terrabytes and your clockspeed ultra high?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • cheese_boycheese_boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    does stopping power make a difference to the UMP?

cheese_boy on
    I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
    edited February 2010
    Rundown is the worst map in the game. Its the only one where once you lose b you're in bad shape, and once you lose all three points its impossible to win.

BlindPsychic on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

so. . . conversely, could you jack the shit out of those numbers and guarantee being host? you know like setting your main memory to 4 billion terrabytes and your clockspeed ultra high?

Hahah, suddenly someone's PC goes from "good gaming desktop" to "Cray" and some people at IW become confused.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cheese_boy wrote: »
    does stopping power make a difference to the UMP?

It's 40 - 35. SP makes it 56 - 49. Makes close range 2 shots instead of 3 and doesn't change far range (3) shots.

solsovly on
    edited February 2010
    Ump doesn't seem to be affected by having a silencer much

BlindPsychic on