As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Books for Young Children

KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a niece/nephew both under three years who I've either not met yet, or not seen for a long time but I will be soon and I want to get them some books (don't worry, they are getting other toy like gifts) and I looking for ideas.

I want to get several books, ranging from books to be read to them by their parents, to books they might be able to soon read themselves, along certain themes. As a child I had a few books on ancient myths, legends or fables from Greek times onto more modern Anglo or European times as well as a smattering of stuff from Africa & Asia.

Ideally I'd like suggestions along these lines, but if you have anything that you think is awesome, then go ahead

Edit
1. I will be heading off to visit them in a week or so and don't want to rely on Amazon due to tight time constraints however I am very close to loads of book stores
2. I am in the UK

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
Kalkino on

• oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you search for "greek mythology for kids" on Amazon you'll get a good selection of colorful picture/story books. I think 3 is probably a little too young for books along those lines though. You might want to hold off on something like that for a year or two lest the book be misplaced or forgotten by the time they are ready for it.

Not a mythology book, but this is like the perfect book for kids that age.

oldsak on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oldsak wrote: »
    If you search for "greek mythology for kids" on Amazon you'll get a good selection of colorful picture/story books. I think 3 is probably a little too young for books along those lines though.

I agree with this, when they get to around the age of seven/eight they'll find Greek mythology fascinating though. A book I loved when I was younger was Dogger by Shirely Hughes, a lot of her books have nice simple stories and soft illustrations they'll love.

Liiya on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aesop's Fables!

Asiina on
  • sYnistersYnister Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    if you could find "Uncle Wiggly's Story Book", its fantastic!
    http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Wiggilys-Story-Howard-Garis/dp/04
    48400901/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267371539&sr=8-1

its what my dad used to read my brothers and i before bed, there are 30+ short stories that all sort of intertwine in some way. its good for teaching good habits and morals and all that great stuff. it is from the 80's though so it may be harder to find in a brick and mortar bookstore, but its great and at a great price. (under 15$). Great Bedtime Stories!

sYnister on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How under three and what are their temperaments?
    My two year old son will rip out a paper book's pages but is very happy with thicker cardboard books. Eric Carle has some printed like that which he likes.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My two year old son will rip out a paper book's pages but is very happy with thicker cardboard books. Eric Carle has some printed like that which he likes.

I last saw the 3 year old when he was about 6 months old and I've not met the 2 year old, as I live on the other side of the world (about 18,000km away!) so I have no idea what they are like, or what they like aside from emails from their parents. Sound quite normal kids but I don't really know

Kalkino on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    At that age, I'd recommend "board books," basically books with thick cardboard pages instead of easily rippable paper ones. One author that comes to mind would be Robert Munsch-- Love You Forever and The Paper Bag Princess. I can't recall many (any?) that feature myths suitable for younger kids.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Paul Goble has written some fantasic books based on the legends of the Plains Indians. The Iktomi books are especially great, very humorous with lots of slapstick as the trickster Iktomi gets into worse and worse trouble. (Chased by a boulder, trapped in a tree trunk, gets a buffalo skull stuck on his head, etc.) Gorgeous artwork, too.

I'm not sure if three year olds have the attention span for a book like that, but if they can pay attention to anything more than board books, I'd say they're a good bet. They aren't very wordy.

LadyM on
    edited February 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

I last saw the 3 year old when he was about 6 months old and I've not met the 2 year old, as I live on the other side of the world (about 18,000km away!) so I have no idea what they are like, or what they like aside from emails from their parents. Sound quite normal kids but I don't really know

SO they don't live in the UK? get some awesome UKish kids book, man! You can get Dr. Seuss everywhere, get them something the Queen wrote.

Improvolone on
    edited February 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

SO they don't live in the UK? get some awesome UKish kids book, man! You can get Dr. Seuss everywhere, get them something the Queen wrote.

Yeah, they live back home in New Zealand. Their parents currently live in a place called Kaikoura, which is amazingly beautiful, photos below.

Good idea about local authors. I'll talk to my work colleagues tomorrow, they all seem to have children.
    Kaikoura+snow+capped.jpg

Kalkino on
  • RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This book is quite cool. It's got a story about.. well fairies and stuff I think, but the better part is that the middle folds out into a large pop-up castle that they can play with, with the paper dolls that come in the book.
    Like this

It's quite nifty. There's a couple of different themes and there's a boys version in the form of Captain Scurvy's Most Dastardly Pop-Up Pirate Ship.

Let it be known though, that I'm not sure if they're good for a kid under 3. I've not much experience with how developed kids are at that age. But I think those books are awesome, heh.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My favorite book as a kid was "Harold and the Purple Crayon."

KalTorak on
  • Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Brown Bear. both my girls loved this book! my oldest who is now 5 can read it without really reading it. She loved it so much she memorized it. My youngest is 1 1/2 yrs and she grabs that book out of all of them for me to read to her.

Werewolf Gamer on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The very hungry caterpillar.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions all, I'll visit the book shop this Sunday and see if I can track down some of the suggestions.

Kalkino on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Under the "books for parents to read to their kids" category:

The Little Prince.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The very hungry caterpillar.

I came in here to suggest this!

Also, any of the Golden Books series are great.

And, as odd as it may seem, Where's Waldo? books are great for kids, who are open to them. You can never tell until it's in front of them.

How about the Bearenstein Bears?

And the Paper Bag Princess.

mully on
    edited March 2010
    I really caution against flimsy paper books at this age.
    Want them to love you? Bring a soccer ball. Kids love balls.

Improvolone on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    A very good new is Something From Nothing. Beutiful artwork, good story, and a cute side story at the bottom of every page.

His age in kind of tough, as he's just starting on more substantive stuff. You'll want to look for stuff that looks like Stardust (but not actually stardust). Comics might also work, especially omnibi of classic comics. Astro Boy would probably work well.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You could also try something like Wonder Bear, it's a wordless picture book that still manages to tell a story? :)

Hypatia on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Personally, I prefer to go with Liberal Indoctrination

Deebaser on
  • TheMadHuntsmanTheMadHuntsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you wanna go mythology, go for the Arthurian legends. If not, Where the Wild Things Are kicked some ass back in my day XD!

TheMadHuntsman on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anything by Eric Carle.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited March 2010
    I am not imposed to some liberal propaganda as the little guy (and his sister) are growing up in a pretty politically apathetic household, in a country area.

Kalkino on
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Anything by Eric Carle.

This. Also, super basic Dr. Seuss books.

Our nephew (2.5 years) loves them. The best thing is not only does he enjoy them now with the pictures but when he is old enough to start reading he can use those as well... and the bro+sis-in-law use them to further his number/color/shape teaching.

radroadkill on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you can find Trouble for Trumpets then you should get it. It's got huge beautiful pictures inside where you have to find this certain berry or a specific bird and the story is nice too.

Maybe not for a 2 year old but kids do grow up fast. Though maybe this should be for like a 6 year old.

There is really no reason why you shouldn't buy a kid a Dr. Suess book though seriously.

There is also these, http://www.randomhouse.com/golden/. These would be great, and I think I remember some of them having cardboard pages?

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716