As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

1565758596062»

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    Unless you turret rush, there really isn't a solid, effective anti-air solution for Terrans. Vikings just cost too much to be effective.

No one believes me but thors are certainly the best anti-muta unit terran has. Great anti-air in general though not cost effective vs BCs, I'm pretty sure.

I usually park one of my thors and some marines in my mineral line, and use turrets and marines or a thor at my expos.

I guess the reason I disbelieve that Thors are so useful against mutas is because they're so freaking slow and expensive. A zerg with mutas can be pretty much anywhere he wants. Harassin' your expo, then when you get the Thors there, he takes off and goes and punks your main, and then switches back and forth. Or if you sally forth with your Thors to go slap down his base, he zips on over to your base where there are no Thors and ruins you there.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone know how to focus the camera on a particular unit during a replay? You know, so the camera follows them around?

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I was playing a match earlier this afternoon, TvT, and it was a long, drawn out slug-fest. We're both terrible players and I eventually won with Battlecruisers, basically.

My final killing blow involved me advancing a group of 11 Battlecruisers into his base, which was filled with marines, missile turrets, and Vikings (the new Terran anti-air fighter).

I thought it was a pretty nifty looking battle, so I quickly made a YouTube video of it for ya'll. My apologies for the terrible quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F6AA6ooWNQ

Edit: Oh, and I discovered that the Battlecruiser captain actually occasionally says "It's a trap!" Not kidding.

Also, you can see the Raven's Point Defense turret shooting down some of my Battlecruiser's lasers. Lasers kill lasers, apparently.

Melkster on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    Unless you turret rush, there really isn't a solid, effective anti-air solution for Terrans. Vikings just cost too much to be effective.

No one believes me but thors are certainly the best anti-muta unit terran has. Great anti-air in general though not cost effective vs BCs, I'm pretty sure.

I usually park one of my thors and some marines in my mineral line, and use turrets and marines or a thor at my expos.

I guess the reason I disbelieve that Thors are so useful against mutas is because they're so freaking slow and expensive. A zerg with mutas can be pretty much anywhere he wants. Harassin' your expo, then when you get the Thors there, he takes off and goes and punks your main, and then switches back and forth. Or if you sally forth with your Thors to go slap down his base, he zips on over to your base where there are no Thors and ruins you there.

They're only 200 gas. They're certainly affordable mineral wise if you go one rax with reactor. They have more HP than any terran ground unit and great range. Really, if you put one thor in your mains mineral line with 4-6 marines it's enough for anything zerg can do with their early mutas. Your second thor can sit on the ramp with the rest of your marines and move out to chase mutas away from there / secure your first expansion (though I don't rush to expand.) Thors do a LOT of damage to mutas per round, I'm pretty sure three thors will kill a muta outright in a single volley.

I usually do three to four turrets on my expo and sit a thor or some marines in there too, then pump more thors. 300/200 sounds expensive but the units are tough to kill so they don't go anywhere. It doesn't take long before your thor/marines (+whatever) can overwhelm zerg. edit: by which I mean you can protect your main and expo while still knocking zerg on his butt at his.

As for movement they're as fast as marines, or seem to be as I generally keep them in the same group. They're way more manageable to micro than original toss goons (for anyone who remembers goons from SC1 before their big buff.)

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Topia wrote: »
    Submit to me starcraft puns for the new thread.!!!!

"[Starcraft 2] Beta get your key today!"
    "[Starcraft 2] You'll learn Korean in no time."
    "[Starcraft 2] I'd trade the One Ring for a beta key - Sauron"
    "[Starcraft 2] It's not just for trailers and boats anymore."
    "[Starcraft 2] Beta keys are live, world peace has arrived."
    "[Starcraft 2] Cylons revealed as fourth race!!!1!"

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    awwww man mondragon

cmoooon

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NOOOOONYYYYYYY

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    :(

mondragon was sooooo good first two games but nony just like

flipped a switch and bam wins four straight

entertaining games though

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Topia wrote: »
    Submit to me starcraft puns for the new thread.!!!!

"[Starcraft 2] Beta get your key today!"
    "[Starcraft 2] You'll learn Korean in no time."
    "[Starcraft 2] I'd trade the One Ring for a beta key - Sauron"
    "[Starcraft 2] It's not just for trailers and boats anymore."
    "[Starcraft 2] Beta keys are live, world peace has arrived."
    "[Starcraft 2] Cylons revealed as fourth race!!!1!"

I like this one.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember when I was like 10 I thought we had the most ballin trailer in all the lands because it was a Starcraft.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmmm, good games, especially the first two. Kind of wanted mondragon to win, don't even know why since I wasn't really rooting for him before or anything. Losing to a +1 zealot/archon push in that last game is sort of anti-climatic though.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    C010SSUSC010SSUS Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I remember when I was like 10 I thought we had the most ballin trailer in all the lands because it was a Starcraft.

I remember seeing one such trailer on the highway when I was a kid and telling my little brother that it must belong to those guys at Blizzard.

C010SSUS on
    C010SSUS.png
  • Options
    YranYran Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Situations where quick-teching Mutalisks is genuinely a good decision against Terran:

The Terran has made a poor decision and has decided to expand early without adequate Infantry to back it up.

The Terran is going for a poor teching path, like Ghosts or Banshees or Tanks. Against a Zerg.

The Terran has gone completely gung-ho with Marauders or Reapers and has forgotten the Marine exists.

The Terran is fucking retarded.

Like, seriously? Where are you guys getting this "Mutalisks destroy Terran" information from?

Yran on
    630847-1.png?1294970711
  • Options
    DoomninjaDoomninja Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Hmmm, good games, especially the first two. Kind of wanted mondragon to win, don't even know why since I wasn't really rooting for him before or anything. Losing to a +1 zealot/archon push in that last game is sort of anti-climatic though.

Really? I'm hoping this isn't TSL you're talking about. SPOILED :(

Doomninja on
    1154825-1.png
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    fffffffffffffffffff, so sorry man. But then again undeinpirat and Lemming sort of gave it away a couple of posts before me anyways.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    -Got monstrously drunk at BlizzCon 2009 and shouted at the CJ team while they were presenting gifts for trivia answers.

best progamer or what

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Would anyone have any interest in listening to some very very noob shoutcasts from myself? My angle would basically be "Yeah I'm terrible at this game, in the copper league, watch me struggle to rise above my pathetic level of terribleness." And hopefully over the course of a few weeks I'd actually start to improve, and that might be fun to watch/listen to.

Oh, and I'll make the videos in 1080p.

Melkster on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would totally watch it.

(I could learn vicariously through you.)

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    we could live vicariously through you as you get better and better

Fuga on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Would anyone have any interest in listening to some very very noob shoutcasts from myself? My angle would basically be "Yeah I'm terrible at this game, in the copper league, watch me struggle to rise above my pathetic level of terribleness." And hopefully over the course of a few weeks I'd actually start to improve, and that might be fun to watch/listen to.

I'll watch anything put to a video. Unless your voice is completely grating I guess.

Fats on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SvK wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Calling down extra supplies gives you 8 free supply, which normally costs you 100 minerals to build. A mule from start to finish brings you in 270 minerals. So the mule is the clear winner.

This implies that a scanner sweep costs 270 minerals, since it costs energy that could be used for a MULE. That's painful.

If that sweep prevents a horde of Dark Templar or Banshees from reaming your army I'd say that's a fair investment.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »

I'll watch anything put to a video. Unless your voice is completely grating I guess.

trust me melk's voice is luxurious

i would listen to it anyday, and as such i would watch those shoutcasts!

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How the fuck did I manage to book a train that would have me sitting around bored off my as for 5 hours as BOTH TSL2 AND CANADA VS USA HOCKEY IS GOING DOWN.

What terrible planning.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NOooooo, you bitches spoiled the result for me. I hate all of you.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm in the gold league in Europe and I have never played starcraft multiplayer before.

wat is this I don't even

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    You must be part Korean, it is the only answer.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    new thread incoming

Topia on
This discussion has been closed.