As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2]: Sorry guys, I won't be the one renewing this thread.

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Hey guys, what's going on here?
    Screenshot049.jpg

What..?

Weird glitch.

I think that is the first time I've seen SC2 on low settings. You should post a few more screeshots for educational purposes.

More screenshots can be found here:
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23425374635&sid=5000

Is that you posting that?

If it is that guy who responded on the bnet forum could be right, it could be your graphics card overheating, which can cause strange issues with textures. Next time it happens you might want to open your comp and carefully feel how hot your graphics card is.

If it is my graphics card, then that's really weird. It's never done this in a 2v2 or 4-way FFA. When it happened today it was my very first game of the day and the replay immediately after didn't glitch. Usually after the game I don't even have to exit SC2 to fix it.

There also isn't any slowdown accompanying the texture bug. I will dedust my computer next chance I get though.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    listening to the terran music makes me feel like I should be crab fishing

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I hear there's a beta going on? I oddly don't have an invite. Someone fix that. Thanks.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So I hear there's a beta going on? I oddly don't have an invite. Someone fix that. Thanks.

Yeah, Blizzard, that should be in your new patchnotes.

'Give the cool duders at PA the beta so they can play with other cool PA duders'

Kami on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey guys, what's going on here?
    Screenshot049.jpg

What..?

Weird glitch.

I think that is the first time I've seen SC2 on low settings. You should post a few more screeshots for educational purposes.

More screenshots can be found here:
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23425374635&sid=5000

Is that you posting that?

If it is that guy who responded on the bnet forum could be right, it could be your graphics card overheating, which can cause strange issues with textures. Next time it happens you might want to open your comp and carefully feel how hot your graphics card is.

If it is my graphics card, then that's really weird. It's never done this in a 2v2 or 4-way FFA. When it happened today it was my very first game of the day and the replay immediately after didn't glitch. Usually after the game I don't even have to exit SC2 to fix it.

There also isn't any slowdown accompanying the texture bug. I will dedust my computer next chance I get though.

You might want to try reseating your graphics card as well.

I mean there is a good chance it is a software issue, but it never hurts to check the hardware.

You should also try updating your drivers, and if you are running the latest, maybe downgrade the drivers to an earlier version.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kami wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yeah, Blizzard, that should be in your new patchnotes.

'Give the cool duders at PA the beta so they can play with other cool PA duders'

I think this is going to be in the new patch.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So the protoss don't have shield batteries anymore? That is an interesting removal.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i literally forgot that those were even in sc1.

if they had had a higher capacity of energy they might have been useful. I guess I used them a few times to recharge my obscene carrier fleets but otherwise,

iowa on
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hi, long time lurker here, I am suprised by that low graphics settings image. It makes me think this might be a playable game for me.

Booker on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alrighty kids, I hereby present to you Melkster's StarCraft 2 Shoutcast: Noob Series!

Basically, the idea here is that I'm terrible at StarCraft, like most people. I'm slowly learning, and I'm humorously documenting those difficult, painful learning steps. Anyway, I think this shoutcast is pretty funny and the game itself is actually pretty entertaining. The other guy has a really well-executed plan that does precisely what he wants it to. Can I recover from it? Will I survive? Find out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXyYVfcSMdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaViekMEcf0

Melkster on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Melkster, what's your b.net name? You're not on the list. :(

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh my God, keep doing these Melkster.

Do them forever.

I'll subscribe to your channel as support for your amazing cause. :^:

Kami on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Melkster, what's your b.net name? You're not on the list. :(

melkster.melkster

add me to the list!

Melkster on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SUBSCRIBED

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Melkster you are living proof that one does not have to be pro-level at an rts to have games worth watching.
    Greatly looking forward to future videos since my understanding of starcraft is pitiful at best and it will be nice to learn stuff through someone elses experimentation

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    iowa wrote: »

if they had had a higher capacity of energy they might have been useful. I guess I used them a few times to recharge my obscene carrier fleets but otherwise,

Obligatory hero dragoon video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd5tK9svnIQ

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yesss, Melkster, this is a good thing.

<3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

What the fuck

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    listening to the terran music makes me feel like I should be crab fishing
    Yeah, this is my problem with it. Less riffs, more synth Blizzard.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    fucking flying terran structures should not count as structures that are still alive (for victory purposes)

TheStig on
  • Options
    TheGrecianHeroTheGrecianHero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Melkster - That was awesome! Moar!

TheGrecianHero on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm a subscriber melkster. Game was hilarious. You've rekindled my love of bunker turtling.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would really like to thank you Melkster for making me WAY less ascared of everything once I get into the beta and/or purchase the game that I won't have to measure my advancement by how much less I get beat by each time.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Excellent joerb, Melkster. Subscribed!

Also? Yo' voice iz like buttah.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    fucking flying terran structures should not count as structures that are still alive if there are no workers and there are not enough minerals to build them.

Fixed that for you because that could lead to some retarded losses.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd5tK9svnIQ

Oh my GOD.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that was entertaining melkster good job

it's so weird to watch people who don't scout. It makes me feel naked and anxious. many a dark templar rushes back in the day have pounded it into me. you seem to know its importance now though

iowa on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was very entertaining. Great work melkster! You sound like a cool dude : D

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SLyM wrote: »
    I would really like to thank you Melkster for making me WAY less ascared of everything once I get into the beta and/or purchase the game that I won't have to measure my advancement by how much less I get beat by each time.

This.

Also, it's making me less nervous to hop onto any online RTS. I own every Relic title, every Blizzard title, and every C&C, yet I've never delved deeply into online, for fear of doing horribly.

After watching Melkster, though, it goes to show that everyone makes goofy mistakes at low level, yet you can still come away with a win, while also learning in the process.

Kami on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Those were fantastic.

Real ID: Khass.horn

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    YranYran Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haw! My friend and I were about to lose this game, and I managed to nuke the bulk of the enemy's attacking force as they converged on our ramp. Then, retaliation and a nuke on the offense.

It was on that stupid Twilight Fortress map where you and your partner share a base.

http://www.mediafire.com/?myynlz2ufxm for the replay.

Yran on
    630847-1.png?1294970711
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't understand the win/loss on that dragoon video. What was the goal and was there a timer for one of them to win? Why did the Prot never scout and why did the Terran never just swarm the dragoon?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't understand the win/loss on that dragoon video. What was the goal and was there a timer for one of them to win? Why did the Prot never scout and why did the Terran never just swarm the dragoon?

win/loss? Not sure what you're talking about there. There was no timer to win, there is just a timer for the sake of having a timer. The toss did scout, though the scout was pretty late.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The game plan for the Terran was to build his barracks in a location that was unlikely to be scouted, and then rush with marines with SCV support, combined with an offensive bunker. It was all about a quick win, and the Terran sacrificed a ton of his economy to make the attack happen.

Terran tried to surround the dragoon but the Protoss's micro was too good. And he used the shield battery to great effect.

Dragoons both move faster and out range marines. With good micro, a single dragoon with a shield battery can take on a ton of marines (assuming no upgrades for the marines and no medics). But it is far from easy and that's why it's an example of some amazing play.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The Protoss did scout, the Probe went to 4'o'clock.

The Terran player didn't produce SCVs so he could get earlier and more Marines and after Protoss gets the Dragoon Range upgrade, Dragoons can easily kite around Marines. Since he had 2 out at end and the Terran had no tech/economy, the Dragoons would've just ran over the Marines.

He also couldn't rush the Dragoon because the Probes would've picked them apart while the Dragoons ran.

Edit: God damn it.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Best as I could tell (because I don't speak Korean), the prtoss player just straight up out-micro'd the Terran. The Terran went for an early rush but the toss player managed to push it back with 1 dragoon, a bunch of probes and a shield battery. The marines never swarmed the goon because he would circle around the nexus whole staying in range of the battery and taking potshots when he was out of the marines range (marines range is 4 to the goons 6 if I remember right). The toss player eventually managed to kill enough marines where he got a pylon back up to power the gateway and then he got a zealot and goon out of his base to go kill the Terrans barracks.

The game ended because the Terran player gave up. In going for the rush he completely fubarred his economy only having something like 5 scv's (if that) mining. The toss was going to destroy his 2 barracks and he only had 3 marines to defend, which wouldn't have done crap to the 2 goons and zealot. With so few SCV's he didnt have the economy to make any sort of counter to the goons and a zealot and without the pressure on the toss player it was essentially game over. The toss player would have killed the 2 barracks and maybe he could have built another one in his base and made a few marines, but they couldnt have done anything to the toss player. Especially since he'd have more units to atack with by the time he finished killing the 2 barracks in the middle.

Crazy game. Probably the best one I've ever seen.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Melkster you are my noobie hero

Lemming on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    there's nothing good about rush games

fucking

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rushing: it's what happens when one player thinks he can quick tech without scouting, being scouted, or putting up defenses.

TheStig on
This discussion has been closed.