As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Problem (8001050F) Seems To Be Fixed -- Try Your PS3!

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This was said over an another forum:
    The issue will not fix itself.
    When the internal clock circuit error, it will halt all operands.
    It will stop counting, hence the result of the time standing still, even the seconds will not move forward anymore.

Not even a firmware can fix it, since it's not a software-hardware problem, but a lowlevel hardware problem.

Have a feeling there will be a massive recall of PS3s that are affected.

The problem with games not working is either that trophy system gets currupted because of the time/date does not match, and/or it affects your DRM/licenses of downloaded content and the system activations.

Oh shit if true. This effects debugs, too, as mine is dead.

Well, if it is a hardware issue here's hoping free PS3 slims for everyone!

So, even if I disconnect the network cable to my PS3 before powering it on things will be pear shaped. (my PS3 was powered off before things went south) Correct?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My system's telling me it's 1/1/2010. And though I couldn't connect to PSN, I managed to play Red Faction Guerrilla just fine, despite it having trophies. It's a pretty dumb error, isn't it?

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, to be fair, English isn't their first language. :p

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just find that situations like this always bring doomsayers and shit-stirrers right out the woodwork. I'm sure Sony will get a fix, and if not, just like Grim Reaper says, Free slims for all!

I wouldn't be surprised if the random forum post about it not being fixable was someone with a deep grudge against PS3's :p

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    I just find that situations like this always bring doomsayers and shit-stirrers right out the woodwork. I'm sure Sony will get a fix, and if not, just like Grim Reaper says, Free slims for all!

I wouldn't be surprised if the random forum post about it not being fixable was someone with a deep grudge against PS3's :p

Nah, I wouldn't have posted it if it was just some random. It was specifically someone who has a bit of experience with Sony's stuff (specifically with PSP homebrew, and trying to crack the PS3 for Custom firmware.)

Either way, the next 10 hours are going to be interesting.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I just went and checked my PS3, albeit it was the slim one and it was reporting the right date and such. I had a brief moment where Resistance 2 didn't seem to feel like starting but I just pushed the wrong button (doh).

I really feel for anyone affected, but oh boy if Sony have to recall those PS3s...

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Nah, I wouldn't have posted it if it was just some random. It was specifically someone who has a bit of experience with Sony's stuff (specifically with PSP homebrew, and trying to crack the PS3 for Custom firmware.)

Either way, the next 10 hours are going to be interesting.

Cool man ^^ not getting at you at all! The more info we have the better!

And yeah, I dno't finish work till 20.00 tonight, so we'll definately see what happens.

On that note, I have a 500gb HDD for my PS3 (I switched out my old 60gb HDD for a new one). I'm thinking that if a recall does happen, of just removing my 500gb one out and putting the older 60gb back in. I should retain my saves and data that way! That sound reasonable?

Seanron on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My brother is going to be so pissed if he loses his 10000 kills trophy for Resistance 2, let alone his other platinums. D:

Seriously, this is terrible news. My sympathies to you guys with PS3s that're suffering from this.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On that note, I have a 500gb HDD for my PS3 (I switched out my old 60gb HDD for a new one). I'm thinking that if a recall does happen, of just removing my 500gb one out and putting the older 60gb back in. I should retain my saves and data that way! That sound reasonable?

The PS3 will automatically format the HD if it detects a new one, backup all your stuff onto an external HD or memory stick if you have to.
    I might do that now actually.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fucks sake. It won't even let me boot into FF13 to take screenshots. Fuck. I need to go buy a slim it seems.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't turned my PS3 on in a few weeks (due to work schedules and Steam games), but now I'm nervous to do so.

I guess my copy of Heavy Rain will have to wait until I hear the outcome of this. I have a 40GB phat, so I'm crossing my fingers. :cry:

Kami on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »

The PS3 will automatically format the HD if it detects a new one, backup all your stuff onto an external HD or memory stick if you have to.

Ah bollocks, you're right! I totally forgot about the HDD Formatting!

No biggy, I think I'll do what you're doing. I have a 500gb USB HDD somewhere, will spin it up tonight and back everything up.

It's still possible to get into the XMB without problems??

Seanron on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Ah bollocks, you're right! I totally forgot about the HDD Formatting!

No biggy, I think I'll do what you're doing. I have a 500gb USB HDD somewhere, will spin it up tonight and back everything up.

It's still possible to get into the XMB without problems??

Yeah, the console should start up without any problems.
    It'll just give an error about not being able to connect to the PSN.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This was said over an another forum:
    The issue will not fix itself.
    When the internal clock circuit error, it will halt all operands.
    It will stop counting, hence the result of the time standing still, even the seconds will not move forward anymore.

Not even a firmware can fix it, since it's not a software-hardware problem, but a lowlevel hardware problem.

Have a feeling there will be a massive recall of PS3s that are affected.

The problem with games not working is either that trophy system gets currupted because of the time/date does not match, and/or it affects your DRM/licenses of downloaded content and the system activations.

Oh shit if true. This effects debugs, too, as mine is dead.

This is only speculation at this point. Let's not all freak out.

My own theory is that my PS3 (yep, got me too) was possessed by a RRoD'ed X-Box. I have the exorcists stopping by later today with the holy water.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As much as a free slim would be awesome. I can't really fathom a recall right now. On top of that, if it required a receipt, I'd be boned. Hooray my first attempts at early adoption of a console.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Weird. I was able to get into WKC this morning on Geonet. No problems.

Edit: Oh. Slims were spared the glitch. Thank goodness. Sorry for the folks caught though.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Toma wrote: »
    As much as a free slim would be awesome. I can't really fathom a recall right now. On top of that, if it required a receipt, I'd be boned. Hooray my first attempts at early adoption of a console.

If the consoles working I dont think they'd have much choice since this is their fault which has essentially bricked a console. Assuming its not fixable that is.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone from the UK hit this problem yet? I can't see WHY it would be different, I just haven't heard any reports.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm hearing that removing the internal battery from the PS3 fixes the problem, but it voids the warranty obviously. And it's really not worth pulling the PS3 apart if there's a chance it'll fix itself tomorrow.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Has anyone from the UK hit this problem yet? I can't see WHY it would be different, I just haven't heard any reports.

Yeah, it hit me last night!

Seanron on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kami wrote: »
    I haven't turned my PS3 on in a few weeks (due to work schedules and Steam games), but now I'm nervous to do so.

I guess my copy of Heavy Rain will have to wait until I hear the outcome of this. I have a 40GB phat, so I'm crossing my fingers. :cry:

It's the internal clock, not PSN which is the problem, so you're effected even if your machine has been unplugged and sitting in the box for the last 6 months.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

My University friend has been hit by it over in Aberystwyth. My brother isn't home to test his yet, but strangely another friend got his up and running just fine.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, just heard another friend's has bust.

My PS3's out of warranty so if nothing's come up by the end of this week I'll be trying the battery reset trick.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mine is an original bc 60gb and is also dead dead :( really hope they can sort a fix for this.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well FUCK me. I honestly thought it was my router that was fucking up.

I wouldn't be too butthurt about this with the exception of one thing.

It fucks with all the PS3's with perfect backwards compatibility.

That fucking HURTS. I bought mine a few months after launch specifically because it could play every PS2 game perfectly thanks to it actually having the PS2 hardware.

Hell, I didn't buy a slim, or hell, any of the new PS3's specifically because the software emulation was fucking wonky.

Well, the good news seems that you can still play PS1/PS2 games fine. I guess if this isn't fixed I'll just keep it around as an extremley fat PS2 and buy a 360 again.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, being the battery trick has been confirmed to work you could always reset the clock that way (you'll be out of warranty) and carry on using it. Ok your PS3's clock will be wrong but it's a minor price to pay.

That said I can't see how this isn't fixable with a firmware update.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    reggie_shrug.jpg

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just manually set my MGS4 PS3's clock to 3/1/2010 and all my trophies are right where I left them.

Still can't connect to the PSN, though :(

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    I just manually set my MGS4 PS3's clock to 3/1/2010 and all my trophies are right where I left them.

Still can't connect to the PSN, though :(

I've got the 80gb MGS4 model too, but haven't turned it on since Saturday. I'm kind of afraid to do anything with it right now, so I'm gonna wait 'til I hear about some kind of fix for it first.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, I just went and checked my PS3, albeit it was the slim one and it was reporting the right date and such. I had a brief moment where Resistance 2 didn't seem to feel like starting but I just pushed the wrong button (doh).

I really feel for anyone affected, but oh boy if Sony have to recall those PS3s...

The only thing that would really annoy the hell out of me with that is I have a BC 60GB unit. The slims are pretty and all, but to hell with losing my PS2 BCness for a pretty new slim D:

Aoi on
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    At least now we know why they said PS3 slims were going to be in limited supply :winky:

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am terrified to test my trophies. I'm not touching the PS3 until I know something, although I already turned it on to check the date, which was 1999, so I changed it to today. Not going to try PSN either.

I blame terrorists.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmmm, guess I'll be laying off the PS3 until this blows over then. Maybe they'll fix the random dropping of PSN that's been happening lately as well.

Could be a clever ruse to (un)intentionally get all the hardware backwards compatible systems out of the market.

Conspiracy theories, go!

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Hmmm, guess I'll be laying off the PS3 until this blows over then. Maybe they'll fix the random dropping of PSN that's been happening lately as well.

Could be a clever ruse to (un)intentionally get all the hardware backwards compatible systems out of the market.

Conspiracy theories, go!

Oh god, don't encourage them.

Aoi on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The ghosts of ten thousand RRoD 360s are blighting the PS3s!

Red riiiing...

Reeed riiiiiing...

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Right before FF XIII launches, I smell an Xbot conspiracy... :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    At least with the RRoD you knew your 360 was fucked for sure :(

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Toma wrote: »
    At least now we know why they said PS3 slims were going to be in limited supply :winky:

Man you ain't kidding. I been trying to buy one for 2 fucking weeks.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Having a tough time imagining the actual hardware RTC in the PS3 deciding to shit the bed badly enough that it can't be corrected or masked with firmware.

Here's your fix in GhettoCode.
    if instr(listofleapyears,str(year))
    {
        month = 2;
        day = 29;
    }
    else
    {
        month = 3;
        day = 1;
    }

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm not having the best of times really. A couple of weeks back my 360 died (Disk drive gave up, tried laser replacement with no luck) and today my PS3 has gone away for a while

And I have to save for a wedding/honeymoon (3 months!) so there's no buying new consoles for me.

For the last two weeks I've had Darksiders looking at me, begging to be played and now Heavy Rain has joined in.

Mr_Grinch on