As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Problem (8001050F) Seems To Be Fixed -- Try Your PS3!

• SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It does seem like a colossal mess-up.

Sony CEO: "Ted, this new system is brilliant, and you've fully tested and approved it?"
    Ted: "Yeah, it'll work like a dream!"

Fast forward to 01.03.2010

Sony CEO: "so Ted, the bloody thing breaks due to an error with leap years?"
    Ted: "Umn, yeah, we didn't think it was a problem, I mean how often do they come round? Once in a blue moon?"
    Sony CEO: "...Four years Ted, it's every four years..."
    Ted: "I'll clear my desk!"

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not to try to gloat or anything, but I assume if I was online yesterday, playing WKC (I wasn't online questing via GeoNet, but I was signed in to my PSN), and never got any errors, that I should be fine, right?

I looked at my friends list last night and was shocked that no one had signed on in several hours cause I have at least 5 people who picked up Heavy Rain and weren't playing it. Thought that was a bit odd.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man I'm scared to turn mine on. And throw me on the list of people who want a software fix.

I sold my PS2 to help pay for the PS3 specifically because of the BC. Which at the time was being touted as an always thing.

Now I'm dreading the day my PS3 bites the dust. Dreading.

[edit]

Also, fuck. Throw me on the list of affected. I was wondering why I didn't pick up a single trophy in the second half of heavy rain, too. Not even the ending one.
    I thought I was just doing really poorly.

Xaviar on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not to try to gloat or anything, but I assume if I was online yesterday, playing WKC (I wasn't online questing via GeoNet, but I was signed in to my PSN), and never got any errors, that I should be fine, right?

I looked at my friends list last night and was shocked that no one had signed on in several hours cause I have at least 5 people who picked up Heavy Rain and weren't playing it. Thought that was a bit odd.

I thought the problems didn't really start til today. Because if it started yesterday I should be fine, as I was online without problems, but I thought all PS3s with hardware BC were effected.

Aoi on
    edited March 2010
    It isn't a hardware problem, as previously suggested. If I read that post right, they said the seconds wouldn't tick any more. Reset my clock by hand, and while I still can't hit up PSN, my clock is ticking just fine. FWIW

Xaviar on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah, I see what you're saying. My clock hadn't technically tried to roll over to March 1st yet. I had some people on my facebook messaging about this issue almost 14 hours ago, so I just assumed the issue started yesterday night, which it did, for people several hours ahead of me.

Guess I'll check my serial number when I get home from work and see what's what. My PS3 is a little over a year old (picked it up for Christmas 2008) so I might be affected. Pity.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's just today. They started for some people yesterday due to differences in time zones.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

I thought the problems didn't really start til today. Because if it started yesterday I should be fine, as I was online without problems, but I thought all PS3s with hardware BC were effected.

No...
    Avicus wrote: »
    Local computer site thinks they have found the line where the models stop working

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Model_Differences

It seems that the models before and including CECHK have problems and models CECHL and on are OK. More info would be helpful though because its not a sure thing, just from observation.

And Xaviar, what do you mean "the list of people who want a software fix?" There's a list of people who want to have to send their PS3 in, and lose features that they bought their PS3's early specifically to have? :lol:

In all seriousness, I understand that everyone is shitting their pants because PS3s are expensive, but I'd like us all to take some time before dropping our loads in our trousers. This is less than halfway into the day, and underwear isn't that cheap either. I'm not the biggest fan of how Sony manages things half the time, but staying calm is going to serve us all better than commencing the poo-cannon firing.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited March 2010

The error only kicked in at midnight last night, so you may still get the error. I hope not though!

Seanron on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jeez, so they can't even develop games for the PS3 right now because of this error affecting debug consoles. Way to cripple the entire division, Sony

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DoogieDoogie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Having a tough time imagining the actual hardware RTC in the PS3 deciding to shit the bed badly enough that it can't be corrected or masked with firmware.

Here's your fix in GhettoCode.
    if instr(listofleapyears,str(year))
    {
        month = 2;
        day = 29;
    }
    else
    {
        month = 3;
        day = 1;
    }

It's even simpler than that! No need to maintain a string list of leap years when the math is right there. I mean, the math is so simple it's tragic if this is the problem. Here's the dead-easy, posted-on-wikipedia fix to properly determine a leap year:

if (year modulo 4 is 0) and (year modulo 100 is not 0) or (year modulo 400 is 0)
    then is_leap_year
    else
    not_leap_year

I've written stuff like this into my own code when determining leap years. Whoever wrote the code for the low-level clock better get their walkin' papers stat! :P

Doogie on
    sig.gif
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea, it is based on GMT +0 so you have to look at what timezone you are in to see when it could possibly work.

For me thats at 10am. 9 hours away.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know as of ~8PM Eastern Time last night my PS3 was affected. Even if it was based on GMT (-5 hours) it doesn't make sense to me how rolling over into March 1 was the problem. Of course playing with GMT/time zones always gives me headaches so I'm not doubting that I'm missing something obvious.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Damn it, I just got to an archdemon in Demon's Souls. I could have killed it early, but noooooooo, I had to go on a date.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited March 2010
    A report from ITProportal.com
    Owners of the original version Sony's flagship gaming console, the PS3 fat model, have been locked out of the Playstation Network because of a so-called 8001050F error.

This is not the first time that this error has arisen with the first instances reported as early as June 2007. It apparently relates to the fact that the inner timing system of the PS3 was reset to 1st January 2000 on the last day of February 2010.

Hex number 8001050F translates into 2147550479 in decimal, which is the number of seconds since the first second of the last millennium. The bug does not affect the newer Slim PS3 systems that have been sold since last year.

It is also unknown how many consoles have been hit by this issue but they are likely to be in the tens of millions. Sony has confirmed on their Twitter accounts that they will be releasing updates or firmware for the systems as soon as possible.

In the meantime though, users of the old PS3 consoles have been advised not to switch on or connect their gaming device to the PSN or they could not only lose their Trophy data but also be denied access to PS3 originals or Premium Themes.

Anyone else remember getting the error in 2007? I got my PS3 pretty much on day of release and cannot remember that? If it's happened before though, it does give hope that a fix is imminent.

Seanron on
    edited March 2010
    *sigh* even with a working clock games still don't work. I'll probably get off my ass and dig out the old ratchet and see if non-trophy ps3 games work.

Xaviar on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, so my 60 gigger has been hit.

On the bright side UK Resistance always get all over this like nuns on a box of cucumbers

Half of me is laughing, the other half is crying.

Waka Laka on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huh. Kind of odd. I wonder if removing my network cable from my MGS4 80GB PS3 will keep this from happening to me.

I actually didn't turn on my console all weekend, due to normal family stuff. Guess I dodged a bullet so far. Will be waiting to see what happens now.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited March 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    *sigh* even with a working clock games still don't work. I'll probably get off my ass and dig out the old ratchet and see if non-trophy ps3 games work.
    It only affects games with "dynamic" trophies. I haven't verified but I think Fallout is affected because it tries to download trophy information before the game starts. For example, Uncharted 2 single player seems to run fine (better-half is playing as I type).

EvilMonkey on
    edited March 2010
    We're all going to have to go low-tech. Anyone fancy a game of postal chess? I'll start. My move is:

1) e4
    I want my Heavy Rain back :(

Mr_Grinch on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    D:

Sony

why you gotta hurt me like this.

I've been so paranoid and cautious about my 60 gig and now...

:(

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    We're all going to have to go low-tech. Anyone fancy a game of postal chess? I'll start. My move is:

1) e4
    I want my Heavy Rain back :(

1) c5
    SICILIAN DEFENSE, WHAT NOW.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited March 2010
    Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

EvilMonkey on
    edited March 2010
    Interesting. It'll still download updates for games X_X

Xaviar on
    edited March 2010
    2) Banana Bombc5

Mr_Grinch on
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »
    Huh. Kind of odd. I wonder if removing my network cable from my MGS4 80GB PS3 will keep this from happening to me.
    This pretty much has nothing to do with network connection and PSN, so no.

Zell on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zell wrote: »
    Marikir wrote: »
    This pretty much has nothing to do with network connection and PSN, so no.

Unfortunate.

Well, I guess I'll wait then and see what happens. Too bad, I was looking forward to some BC2. Oh well.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    2) Banana Bombc5

2) ExplosiveSheepe1

So yeah, I was all set to get back into some PS3ing since I was getting a bit burnt out on MW2 but this looks like a good reason to dig into the STEAM backlog a little more.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    got today off and i was all set to do some sweet gaming. i guess... not.

Ah_Pook on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Its like the Y2K bug, only its the Leap-Day bug for a Leap-Day that doesn't even exist.

My question is - How will users download a firmware update if they can't even connect to PSN?

Lucascraft on
  • hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Glad it's happening now and not in 2 weeks when God of War comes out...

Luckily I finished Heavy Rain last night.

hottoq on
    edited March 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Its like the Y2K bug, only its the Leap-Day bug for a Leap-Day that doesn't even exist.

My question is - How will users download a firmware update if they can't even connect to PSN?

Download on PC, transfer using memory stick

Seanron on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    Owners of the original version Sony's flagship gaming console, the PS3 fat model, have been locked out of the Playstation Network because of a so-called 8001050F error.

This is not the first time that this error has arisen with the first instances reported as early as June 2007. It apparently relates to the fact that the inner timing system of the PS3 was reset to 1st January 2000 on the last day of February 2010.

Hex number 8001050F translates into 2147550479 in decimal, which is the number of seconds since the first second of the last millennium. The bug does not affect the newer Slim PS3 systems that have been sold since last year.

It is also unknown how many consoles have been hit by this issue but they are likely to be in the tens of millions. Sony has confirmed on their Twitter accounts that they will be releasing updates or firmware for the systems as soon as possible.

In the meantime though, users of the old PS3 consoles have been advised not to switch on or connect their gaming device to the PSN or they could not only lose their Trophy data but also be denied access to PS3 originals or Premium Themes.

Anyone else remember getting the error in 2007? I got my PS3 pretty much on day of release and cannot remember that? If it's happened before though, it does give hope that a fix is imminent.

I don't remember even hearing about it happening then, but I guess I wasn't exactly looking either.

The part I bolded in the quote is complete rubbish, though. People are obviously going to be turning on their consoles, very few PS3 owners will have heard about it before experiencing the problem first hand.

Out of curiosity, why would this problem affect DLC data? I installed a Borderlands DLC pack yesterday and played a bit in a new area, but when I tried today (post the great PS3 apocalypse of '10 - insert rolling eyes smiley here) I was booted back to a non DLC area with a message that my character was in a DLC area, but that the DLC in question wasn't installed on my PS3.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Grislo wrote: »
    Seanron wrote: »

I don't remember even hearing about it happening then, but I guess I wasn't exactly looking either.

The part I bolded in the quote is complete rubbish, though. People are obviously going to be turning on their consoles, very few PS3 owners will have heard about it before experiencing the problem first hand.

Out of curiosity, why would this problem affect DLC data? I installed a Borderlands DLC pack yesterday and played a bit in a new area, but when I tried today (post the great PS3 apocalypse of '10 - insert rolling eyes smiley here) I was booted back to a non DLC area with a message that my character was in a DLC area, but that the DLC in question wasn't installed on my PS3.

Copyright checks. Bullshit basically. Sounds like the Borderlands DLC is as bad as that Oblivion stuff.

DarkWarrior on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We didn't hear about it as much in 2007 because there were fewer units sold back then. If I remeber correctly now wasn't it people who had older version of the firmware avoided the problem but the updated patch was the cause of it. (Trophy support was buggy back then.) They've had a few versions relesed since then. The real sucker punch about this is that older/first time adopters are getting hit the worse. Or people who bought used systems.

Overall I still think Sony's hardware this generation is the best, but it's still rather sad for the older units.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How would a firmware update even be possible on a global scale, since it, you know... requires PSN access? No doubt it will possible to just transfer the files, but... how will they even get that information out to people who aren't tech-savvy?

This is going to be an epic PR nightmare.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Surely they would have to offer to send out discs.

LewieP on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It advises to not switch on the console? I just got a copy of Killzone 2 in the mail this morning. I want to switch my console on right now! :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited March 2010
    Well, when an update is due, you actually physically cannot log on until you get the update. The update occurs before you even attampt to log on, so maybe the network will inform the system of the update before any connection to PSN is established?

Seanron on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    How would a firmware update even be possible on a global scale, since it, you know... requires PSN access? No doubt it will possible to just transfer the files, but... how will they even get that information out to people who aren't tech-savvy?

This is going to be an epic PR nightmare.

Could they turn off the date check on the PSN side to allow the folks to log in, force install the firmware update, then reconnect normally? Doesn't Sony have overrides in place for stuff like this?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG