As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cut that damn hippie hair.

MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello all.

After 5 years of having a ponytail, I've decided that I'm sick of taking care of it. I've tried cutting it shorter to cut down on hair washing time, and while that did help, I'm just sick of it. Plus it's not nearly as cool now as it was when I was 14. And it doesn't help me get laid at all. So basically here is my problem; I have a horrible sense of fashion, and would appreciate suggestions on how to cut my hair. I'd prefer not to shave it all off, but I do have fairly thick hair which makes a lot of hair styles not look right. Anyway, here is a link to my ugly mug, so you can see what I'm working with. The squeamish should look away, as it's not a pretty sight.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/bildoballbaggins/Picture35.jpg

I'd appreciate any advice on this, and definitely female advice.

MrBallbaggins on

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, I used to have long-ish hair (for a dude), and I just ended up cutting it short-ish. It's probably an inch or two long in general, with a slightly longer fringe at the front which I push to the side (no, not like an emo :P )

My hair is pretty fine, and has a tendency to go wavy after a few inches of length, and I don't really like that too much, so I try to keep it under that length. It's also really hard to style, so I've kinda given up styling it beyond what I mentioned above... I would possibly suggest getting it cut to a shorter length, and playing around with it. Thick hair is a bit better for styling compared to fine hair like mine, as it holds better, and with less gel/wax/whatever. Then, if it's still too long you can always cut it shorter.

As for specific styles, I have no clue... ask a hairdresser - or a woman with fashion-sense ;)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good god. Having that long limp hair doesnt really help when you've also got a long face already.

At least try styling it away from the front of your face, see if that helps, before cutting any further though.

Synthetic Orange on
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good god. Having that long limp hair doesnt really help when you've also got a long face already.

At least try styling it away from the front of your face, see if that helps, before cutting any further though.

Well, I usually keep it in a ponytail. And left on it's own, it's a bit bushier than that when it's not. I just have it down in the picture to give people an idea of what I'm working with.

MrBallbaggins on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would go to a decent barber and ask them to make your hair short and look nice.

bruin on
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Be a man, get some clippers and shave the lot you big girl!

jk, I used to have dredlocks halfway down my back.

Gorak on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Well, I usually keep it in a ponytail. And left on it's own, it's a bit bushier than that when it's not. I just have it down in the picture to give people an idea of what I'm working with.

Really though, if you get it out of your face and get a less... menacing expression it'd look a lot better (Hard to work with that pic)

Well, you could find a good barber/stylist (Hopefully recommend by a friend with good hair) and work with that.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    get a buzz cut. You will be sooo happy.

aesir on
  • JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go to a stylist, they can help you figure something out.

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Have any female friends? They're the ones should be asking, not the internet. Plus, if they're anything like mine, it'll make them really happy. Of course, I'm lucky enough to have a female friend who is very pretty and fashion conscious that really wanted to help me out with my haircut (I had really long hair too, until a couple weeks ago).

Barring that, another picture might help. Maybe one with your hair up, so we can see your regular hairstyle.

Aydr on
  • Food?Food? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd say don't get a buzz cut, since there's no real style to them. I'd definitely get it cut pretty short though (i.e., under an inch and a half).

Food? on
    gr_smile2.gif
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    aesir wrote: »
    get a buzz cut. You will be sooo happy.

And look like a thug (well, depending on where you live. If you get it done in the UK, you would be considered a thug. I have no idea what the rest of the world thinks).

Seriously, just go to a barbers and tell them you have no idea what you want. They'll be happy to offer suggestions.

Lezta on
  • crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You have a really long face. You'd suit something like what Adrian Brody has (who also has a very long face)

http://la-croix-du-dragon.site.voila.fr/dossiers/adrian.jpg

Johnny Dep is another guy to look at too.

Also, a buzz cut will look nicer then you think. And, a good hairdresser can give your hair more body easily, so don't worry about that. Make sure you sit still long enough to listen to the lecture on how to style it too.

(I'm a girl, by the way - info that is apparently important.)

crake on
  • RainZRainZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Have a look through some of these maybe? Find something you like and take it into your stylist to get it as close as possible. Voila!
    :)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ohdoct0rdoct0r3/male/?start=0

RainZ on
    RainZ+Aus.png