As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nv's Art Fiasco

EnviousEnvious Registered User new member
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
Ok well after browsing here for a while at all the wonderful art i thought i'd post some of my work. I mainly started drawing for fun about a year go on and off my tablet broke down so i stopped drawing as much. I've been trying to improve and any advice is more than welcome.
Early 2009
It was meant to be a mountain troll or some kind of similar elemental creature.
figyreee.jpg
Some linework that i was doing when tablet broke.
seadragoncopy.jpg

Late 2009 i picked up a sketchbook and started trying to draw.
Only had a camera and these were the best shots that were not completely blurred.
IMG_4435.jpg
IMG_4446.jpg
Rex_by_ChouPew.jpg
Sea_Snake_by_ChouPew.jpg

In Corel Painter
750.jpg

Than on to Photoshop end of 09 and onwards!
robottttcopy.jpg
MEEEPMEETcopy.jpg
1copy.jpg
backggroundpart2copy.jpg

Inaccurate horse ( this is where is started from (http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn173/TMATTZ/colab3nncopy.jpg)
nnn2a33.jpg

mbounty.jpg
sweet.jpg
2-1.jpg

Ganesh - i saw you had one of those AC competitions on gods and this was the end result. It's wip but i'm probably not going to finish it anytime soon. I know that water is not usually blue in low concentration but i was kind of going for the look as if he the ocean in the palm of his hand. I tried to make the water appear translucent so it took on part of the background stone i don't think it really has worked.

There is one thing i want to know the thumb in the bottom left hand corner it just looks wrong i picked it up on the statue hands i was referencing but i was unsure? i think it has something to do with the nail being to far around?

filterfied.jpg

That is all for now , hopefully i got the links right D:

Envious on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You need to work on form and structure. Did you use a reference for any of these? Compare the two in Photoshop and you should be able to see how far off some of these are, especially the faces.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, quick question: Is the "Lilith" piece supposed to be Lilith from George McDonalds Lilith?

worstcase on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Like Nib said it would be helpful to post any references you used. It's good to see that you're trying to draw in pencil as well as photoshop, and there are some nice things going on in a lot of these.
    Welcome to the forum!

lyrium on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Big ideas first!

Let's work on structure and proper composition before digging deep into more difficult things like color theory and detail work.

Godfather on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I agree with Godfather on working on structure and composition. Still keep up these fun studies you're doing, but if you're wanting to improve the quality and accuracy of your work, make sure you study up :). It helps in the long run (especially on pieces like that 'fables' one). BTW freaking awesome elephant.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    EnviousEnvious Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    To be honest I'm horrible with organizing references i just usually google whatever i want to draw and pop up a few pictures until i find one i like. Yeah on the faces i do use references i had trouble with the fables one i couldn't tell where the nose was it was all super shinny .

I compared the faces i did next to each other and i notice the difference thanks nibcrom I'll try to post pictures and references from now on after this post.

@worstcase no it was just some random face i had.

Thanks everyone for your advice I'll try to work on my basics, structure and composition. I've been browsing a few art books but a lot of them are fairly heavily worded and than they just skip to an an amazing piece of artwork without any practical suggestions.

I feel weird just writing in an art thread so quick tiger doodle
    tigercopycopy.jpg

Envious on