As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My ass is a quivering mess (Bigman Thread)

psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Social Entropy++
dgme6h.jpg

QUAAAAADS-2.jpg

I want to be a Big Man(tm)!

Well, you’ve come to the right place! Here at Big Man(tm) Central we are keeping up with the cutting edge of exercise science to help YOU build muscle and lose weight! We can give you access to all the latest tips and tricks, plus expert advice from certified Big Men Big l, the wook, Jyardana and many more! Join our certified Big Man Program to track your weight and lifts.

Big Man PRs!

This is for all you’se who want to wrestle a bear or lift a truck. Let us know your best lifts and we'll post 'em for motivation and mockery.

psyck0 - Deadlift: 365 lbs, Squat: 340 lbs, Powerclean: 175 lbs
Sunday_Assassin - Rack Pull: 170 kg
hectorse - Squat: 285 lbs, Bench: 175 lbs, Press: 140 lbs, Deadlift: 335 lbs
Dachshund - Squat: 255 lbs, Bench: 165 lbs, Press: 120 lbs, Deadlift: 330 lbs, Powerclean: 195 lbs
big l - Squat: 405 lbs
the wook - Deadlift: 515 lbs, Front Squat: 245
celandine - Deadlift: 245 lbs

If you’re trying to lose weight, I’ll point you over to the Fitness Thread for excellent advice on cardio and diet. You might also want to give these two articles a read for some ideas on programming a routine for fat loss. The tl,dr is do high intensity interval training such as complexes for ~30 minutes along with some weight-lifting, lifting heavy (~85%) of your 5RM one day a week.

Eating for a Big Man

If you wanna get Big, you gotta eat Big. If you’re a hard gainer and want to put on some pounds, a good rule of thumb is to eat as much as you think you should and then eat two more things, every meal. You’re aiming for about 500 excess calories a day. If you’re turning fat to muscle, try to consume as many calories as you’re burning every day. You should never be hungry!

Your calories should come from a good mix of protein, fat, and carbs. Get 1.5 grams of protein for every lb of lean muscle weight, minimum. 2 is better. Fat is perfectly healthy for you as long as it’s not trans. Carbs should definitely not be the majority of your calories, and they should all be complex carbs- whole grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables. Cut all juices and pop! The sugar in those is killing you!

All right, now how many types of curls should I be doing to be a Big Man?

Curls are for girls (no offense, ladies!). If you don’t know what you’re doing, start with Starting Strength or CFWF in the list below and check out the form videos farther down the page to learn the exercise. If you’ve never looked at your form before, watch these videos! I’ll bet you $50 you’re doing it wrong. There are some more intermediate and advanced workouts in the lift for when you get past the beginner stage, too.

Workout plans, from beginner to advanced:
Starting Strength ( Wiki)
Crossfit Witchita Falls PA Post
Texas Method
WestSidel
Wendler’s 5/3/1
Two Day Heavy Split

How to Bench Press
Learning to Bench Press (start here first!) Most people have no idea how to bench press properly. If you haven't seen this, watch it. If you have, watch it again.

Dave Tate’s Six Week Bench Press Cure!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0&feature=player_embedded
How to squat

[url=http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts#The_Squat[/url]Your first squats.[/url]

A fantastic how-to video; WATCH IT!
Low Bar Squats

How to Deadlift

An expert description of the Deadlift

A great form video to help you.
How to Military Press

Start by reading this, then watch the videos.

Video 1

Video 2
How to Power Clean

First, read this description of the exercise. It has tips, too! This is the hardest lift you will learn by far, but these videos will go a long way to getting your form rock-solid.

Next, watch this video. It is the best instructional video I have ever seen.

When you're ready, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUmi2oqlvA

Resources:
70sbig.com – New site with simple training methods and motivational words to help you lift the heaviest you can
Bodybuilding.com - Good forum and community for fitness
T-nation.com - While aimed at the 'sweet kegger party bra' crowd, it's still packed with tons of super useful information
Crossfit.com - Not for some people, CrossFit is still probably the toughest fitness program out there
Exrx.net - A fantastic resource, this is a huge database of animated .gifs that show correct form to various exercises
Fitday.com - The website can be slow and some people hate it but I like to use the software to maintain an overview of my general fitness level.
Elitefts.com - Another good strength and conditioning resource. Good articles.
NFS.org - Dietary supplement guide. Products in these lists are guaranteed to contain everything listed on their labels in the quantities listed. Supps are notorious for fucking you over this way, so buy from a good company.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
steam_sig.png
psyck0 on

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So how is everybody's Monday going?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yesss a new thread.

Showed up at a new gym Sunday to learn that they had an amateur powerlifting competition on Saturday. I saw the results and I woulda actually not been in last place that would have been fun. They had 4 boards on the wall: 1000 club board, 300 squat club board, 300 deadlift club board, and 300 bench club board. Cool gym too bad I'm only here for a month. The gym at home is balls.

Dachshund on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Best monday ever.

Thanks so much to Jyardana and MS for helping me with sprints, We did some today. I was second fastest dude :D

hectorse on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    So how is everybody's Monday going?

It's Tuesday but not bad. Always feel like a big man on bench day.

Plus I just whooped up a big fucking bowl of chilli. Not elitist-Dead Legend chilli either. Mongrel chilli, with beans and chorizo and mushrooms and oh so much beef

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BIG MAN!
    brock-lesnar.jpg

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've managed to get the girl I'm sorta seeing to go to the gym with me on consecutive nights. she's as weak as a newborn but eager so far.

trying to teach somebody who has literally never lifted weights before to perform specific exercises with good form is more difficult than i would've guessed. so far i've got her working with baby weight to develop good habits.

it's especially difficult because she can't hold the bar

the wook on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that op is insulting

my max rack pull is now 170kg

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    I've managed to get the girl I'm sorta seeing to go to the gym with me on consecutive nights. she's as weak as a newborn but eager so far.

trying to teach somebody who has literally never lifted weights before to perform specific exercises with good form is more difficult than i would've guessed. so far i've got her working with baby weight to develop good habits.

You could substitute dumbells for most lifts at the start, also raid the cardio room for one of those pump bars I think they're around 5-10lbs

Also I miss deadlifts :(
    I got blind sided at indoor soccer and ended up tearing ligaments in my knee, just been able to get back in the gym last week. You'd be surprised how hard certain exercises are when you can't really bend your knee back.

I'm hoping in another 3-4 weeks I'll be back to normal training, well light squats/deadlifts anyway then slowly work my way back up.

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got my bands yesterday. Going to use them today on box squats and speed deadlifts.

I got some minis, lights, and average bands. MMMMmmmmmmmmm

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Those little pre-loaded curl bars were lifesavers before I could handle the bar. Also, some gyms have a 15-pound bar (usually hidden in a closet and available on request.)

I'm starting to enjoy my weird-ass circuit/complex/HIIT training. Instead of back squats it's all front squats and lunges; instead of deadlifts it's all RDL's. Result: much more butt-hurt. I must have been neglecting glutes.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did bulgarian split squats for real for the first time last night and man, talk about almost falling over. Having to balance on one leg while you've got weight on your back is hard. Still, I feel like I did ok; I know doing 90 lbs. on one leg isn't the same as doing 180 on two but I still felt pretty ok about it.

Peen on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I came home yesterday to find a book wedged between my doors, Starting Strength - Second Edition has arrived! I read the first chapter about squats yesterday, surprisingly interesting, can't wait to get into it even more.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the wook wrote: »

half_inch_pvc_pipe.jpg

Dachshund on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guys. 225# deadlifts. 5 sessions out. I can taste it.

Tastes like a 45# plate sandwich.

Hmm just realized I am on schedule to deadlift 225 and squat 1x bw on the same day. That will be a glorious day indeed.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »

Plate records are always the most delicious.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Indeed. Yesterday's 200 was a nice round number, but it just doesn't seem as satisfying.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's been 6 months or more since I've hit the gym seriously. I'm going back tonight with a friend of mine. I'm still reading Starting Strength. I'm going to have both of us do Rippetoe's Beginner program. Is this it:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power Clean

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's been 6 months or more since I've hit the gym seriously. I'm going back tonight with a friend of mine. I'm still reading Starting Strength. I'm going to have both of us do Rippetoe's Beginner program. Is this it:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power Clean

That's it

It's a great program

hectorse on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome. I'm excited.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep. Some people substitute bent-over rows for power cleans.

Those said people are of the sissy variety

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    every time i see these threads i say "man i should start working out."

then i just eat some pizza and cry.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can't wait to start this program, I want to document the hell out of my progress too. Is there particular spot for a training journal around here or can I just dump the info into this thread (spoilered and formatted where necessary of course)?

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can't wait to start this program, I want to document the hell out of my progress too. Is there particular spot for a training journal around here or can I just dump the info into this thread (spoilered and formatted where necessary of course)?

You of course, can use this hread to track your goals

Thanks for the sprinting advice, dude. It really has helped me A TON

hectorse on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    every time i see these threads i say "man i should start working out."

then i just eat some pizza and cry.

eat steak instead. that way you work out while not actually working out.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had an orthopedic surgeon take a look at my knees while I was there for something else.

He wiggles the knee caps around, stops and his eyes get a little wider, "They sound...crunchy. Uh, stop doing squats for now."

Seems I need to get back in there and find out what's really going on with the knees before they, his word, "explode".

Awesome.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Indeed. Yesterday's 200 was a nice round number, but it just doesn't seem as satisfying.

Indeed. I just did 225 lbs. yesterday, a 20 pound jump from last week. My strength is coming back a lot faster than I thought after a three month break. I don't know if it's just that my body is adapting faster this time around after getting used to being strong or if I just didn't lose as much strength as I thought I did. I think I can jump to 245 lbs. next week, and I should be back at where I was in the fall, 300 lbs., sometime in May.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    working out owns.

I bought a new pair of girl pants. a size larger than what I used to wear, but hey, another month and I'll comfortably fit into it.

seeing progress is awesome and really motivating.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What kinda training journal are you looking for RDM? I use www.dailyburn.com and it's pretty ok.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    315 > 300
    GUARANTEEED

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What kinda training journal are you looking for RDM? I use www.dailyburn.com and it's pretty ok.

Nothing too technical, I was really just hoping to document my day 1 progress up to my day X progress. More as an experiment to see what differences show up after working out for say 7-9 months on the starting strength program. I'd like to include occasional pictures as well as a complete record of the food I take in. Like I'm talking pretty detailed, if I down a pack of m&ms at work I'll try and remember that when I make my summary at the end of the day.

I did it while running for a while and it can be really eye openning the first time you go back and read through it. I was the carb king for a while!

Plus I'd like to try and see what sort of progression I can get to on the weights since that's really the whole point of the damn exercise! 8-) And without any of the other background stuff it won't have much relevance for anyone.

so tl;dr

Progress pics, food journal, training schedule/journal for about 1 year I hope. Starting just as soon as I can assemble the necessary equipment in mah basement!

Also @ hectorse, anytime man, happy to help and I'm glad it's making a difference.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's a good idea, RDM. I am keeping track of all my sets anyway -- I should post them on here for motivation, keeping track of progress and so y'all can laugh at my sissy lifts.

Also, in my opinion, power cleans are the funnest lift in rippetoe's program. Of could I originally said the same about deadlifts and now they're delightfully painful.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's a good idea, RDM. I am keeping track of all my sets anyway -- I should post them on here for motivation, keeping track of progress and so y'all can laugh at my sissy lifts.

Also, in my opinion, power cleans are the funnest lift in rippetoe's program. Of could I originally said the same about deadlifts and now they're delightfully painful.

What I'm really interested in is seeing how long I can maintain the linear progression that is ideal for the beginner lifter, according to Rip. I want to make sure I'm not falling flat by taking in too few calories. Plus I'm always playing soccer or volleyball so at least this way it'll be a little easier to keep track of food, exercise and sleep in one spot.

I'm a little worried about getting enough sleep, a 6.5 hour average is probably not going to cut it, although if it ends up being anywhere as intense as the college training I was doing, I doubt I'll be staying up to 12:30 or 1:00 by accident anymore.

Anyway, I'll start compiling a summary of my food intake and my "normal" exercise as a baseline over the next few days so I'll have something to refer to later.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What RDM wants

Yeah Dailyburn can do all that shizz except for progress pics, I like it for a free service.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What RDM wants

Yeah Dailyburn can do all that shizz except for progress pics, I like it for a free service.

What about what RDM needs?

What about that?!

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Look man, I don't think any of us are in a position to give you what you need, except maybe Cel. But I don't want to speak for her.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well .... tiihii

:oops:

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm looking to switch up my training after taking a few weeks off. That Texas Method interests me, but it seems like it would take a lot of time. Are you really supposed to do all three big lifts plus change very session? Mondays seem like they could take a couple hours, between setup and actually lifting.

Maybe I'll just do Starting Strength.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Look man, I don't think any of us are in a position to give you what you need, except maybe Cel. But I don't want to speak for her.

Well that's probably for the best, I'm sure my lady would have something to say about it anyway, none to kindly either.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What I'm really interested in is seeing how long I can maintain the linear progression that is ideal for the beginner lifter, according to Rip. I want to make sure I'm not falling flat by taking in too few calories. Plus I'm always playing soccer or volleyball so at least this way it'll be a little easier to keep track of food, exercise and sleep in one spot.

I'm a little worried about getting enough sleep, a 6.5 hour average is probably not going to cut it, although if it ends up being anywhere as intense as the college training I was doing, I doubt I'll be staying up to 12:30 or 1:00 by accident anymore.

Anyway, I'll start compiling a summa ry of my food intake and my "normal" exercise as a baseline over the next few days so I'll have something to refer to later.

How many calories you aiming for? I try for 3-3.5k and it's led to 30# weight gain in about 3 months. Even with the surplus I've found making a concerted effort to eat even more has helped me push past my occasional sticking spot. Except for bench. Just got bicep tendinitis instead.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I'm looking to switch up my training after taking a few weeks off. That Texas Method interests me, but it seems like it would take a lot of time. Are you really supposed to do all three big lifts plus change very session? Mondays seem like they could take a couple hours, between setup and actually lifting.

Maybe I'll just do Starting Strength.

SS is better for the beginner. TM Monday is indeed a long day in the gym.

big l on
This discussion has been closed.