As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WebComics - Because we're too cheap and too lazy for the real thing

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sequential Art is cool. Whenever I read it I want to cat lady to get with the artist guy. Also the little shadows rock it up.

Solar on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Virral wrote: »

I enjoyed that, and then it ran out D:

Do you know what the update schedule is like?

It seems once a week, give or take?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can someone explain achewood to me, cause i really dont find it funny at all. I haven't read every strip they've done, only a handful really, but i just don't like it.

You can't explain it, you just have to understand it.

Centipede Damascus on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Sequential Art is cool. Whenever I read it I want to cat lady to get with the artist guy. Also the little shadows rock it up.

I do enjoy Sequential Art, it's pretty funny, but I feel a little creepy everytime I read it thanks to the "sexy" female animals.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I do enjoy Sequential Art, it's pretty funny, but I feel a little creepy everytime I read it thanks to the "sexy" female animals.

The main character is an author insert which adds another layer to the creepy factor

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can see both your points but honestly it doesn't bother me at all, I just think it's a funny comic with some suprisingly nice art.

Solar on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    I agree. It makes me laugh. Therefore, it is good.

SA_0128_small.jpg
    SA_0129_small.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Oh suck it up.

Anyways... One comic that I've really enjoyed over the years has been http://www.gamingguardians.com/

It gets's kind of bad in the more recent arcs since the comic was subject to long hiatuses after Web troll stopped doing the artwork for it, but it's starting to move along again, and I'm hopeful about it's future.

Gaddez on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Didn't the author of Sequential Art also appear in the comic as a hamster with a totally stacked human assistant?

BTW, this is still my favorite SA comic.

SA_0188_small.jpg

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
    edited February 2010
    SA_0194_small.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The grin on his face just makes that wonderful.

Also Gaddez, I had no idea Gaming Guardians was actually back on its feet again.

Wildcat on
    edited February 2010
    Hey I did say I enjoy it, what more do you want :P

SA_0208_small.jpg

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I used to read Sequential Art, but eventually stopped. It's one of those comics I don't want to like, but I find appeals to me on the same level that something like LOLcats does. I look at it and go, "Awwww."

For another pretty good comic about geek culture, read No Pink Ponies. It updates sporadically, but there's a pretty huge archive.

Munch on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Here's a cute minimalist webcomic called Kawaii Not. Evidently its so good, Hot Topic is illegally ripping them off.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited February 2010
    Come now. We all know a thing doesn't have to be good for Hot Topic to want it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited February 2010
    http://fuse.smackjeeves.com/comics/682697/fuse-cover/

This one rates a 'not bat' on the Bri scale of webcomics rating.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited February 2010
    So it isn't used for hitting balls in sport, or it isn't a furry winged mammal that navigates primarily by sound?

Either way, I'm not sure I understanding your rating scale o_O

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited February 2010
    You saw that t key just jump out in front of me, didn't you? Didn't you? Totally not my fault!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited February 2010
    He was swerving all over the place, officer. That poor consonant was just minding his own business and the guy plowed right into him. There were serif's everywhere, it was horrible!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Et tu?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited February 2010
    No Pink Ponies:

thumbs_up.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2010
    This one will keep you busy for a while:

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2002-05-21

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    don't you link Dominic Deegan at me, you goose

Centipede Damascus on
    edited March 2010
    I am at the end of 2005, and more (not the rest, by any means) will have to wait for later in the week.

Edit: Have some Flaky Pastries:
    050424-0000-Falingard.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    damn you silly goose
    that is beyond awful

damn you for sharing that

DouglasDanger on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think this counts as a webcomic: A Softer World

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am sorry Bri but jeez you have pretty bad comicery taste. Too much soap, too few jokes.

Now, Daisy Owl that is choice.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this one is pretty good

184.gif

Langly on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've really been enjoying Lightyears Away, and Fat Baby. The first is a sci-fi story set in kind of a dystopian future, where a recent parolee is sent to a cutting edge rehabilitation facility, located on a terraformed planet. The art vaguely reminds me of Frank Quitely.

Fat Baby's about a fat baby that eats things. It starts off with kind of a Garfield-esque repeated punchline, and then quickly branches off into three separate, thoroughly surreal stories. Each story fits into a different genre, and each has stylistic differences to set them apart from each other.

Awesome Hospital also launched today. It's apparently going to be about awesome doctors who deal with awesome diseases in awesome ways. Which is a concept I can get on board with.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    I find that joke-a-day comics are incredibly shallow. There is a reason I don't read the ones in the news paper.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just read all of fat baby and it is certainly delicious.

edit: and Lightyears Away is also really good.

Langly on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am sorry Bri but jeez you have pretty bad comicery taste. Too much soap, too few jokes.

Now, Daisy Owl that is choice.

Daisy Owl is hilarious.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I find that joke-a-day comics are incredibly shallow. There is a reason I don't read the ones in the news paper.
    I find that soap comics online inevitably devolve into author-inserts and poorly paced love stories sprinkled with fanservice.

Okay okay I read some soap comics. I think I already linked Family Man, which has been excellent if slow paced. Gunnerkrig Court has also done a quite good job being interesting. It's not that I hate comics with ongoing storylines. It is just that those are all pretty bad comics.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, well... bottom of the barrel here. I need more GOOD storyline comics.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, well... bottom of the barrel here. I need more GOOD storyline comics.

The answer is, and shall always be, MSPA

Absurdly funny and an enjoyable storyline!

It might not be apparent at first, but there is a method to the madness. Oh is there ever.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2010
    Thank god MSPA has such a good update schedule (multiple small updates every day pretty much), because if it took longer than that it would probably make me crazy.

I read Problem Sleuth once it was all over, but the "MSPA fan reacts to new development" late in the story panel cracked me up so so much.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited March 2010
    I will give MSPA a try, but it is but one comic. Need Moar.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2010
    I will give MSPA a try, but it is but one comic. Need Moar.

No, trust me.

MSPA will be enough. Problem Sleuth, the completed story, is something like 1700 pages. It's goddamn enormous. Homestuck is pretty freaking long too, is still ongoing, and updates consistently and often times in increments of three or more pages at once throughout the week.

I was more referring to Homestuck when I talked about enjoyable story and hilarity, mind you.

Problem Sleuth has a story I guess but it's completely made up as they went along and off the wall. Still good, but there's no method to the madness there. Just madness.

Fiaryn on
    edited March 2010
    Goddamnit why is the music for MSPA so good

Seriously you will grow to love the Flash based updates and their glorious glorious tunes. The beats, they are ever so fresh.

SBurban Jungle Remix is amazing.

Fiaryn on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MSPA is the one webcomic that would not work in any other medium. All of the flash stuff, the little games, the amazing songs, that stuff would be lost if it were printed.

DouglasDanger on