As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games at PAX East

• Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, here's a odd question. Who is going to be staying at or near the Sheraton and will be around Wednesday night? I'm down for playing any tabletop game, and will even buy things I may need to play something I don't have. I just know I'll be in town super early (2 days in advance) and little to do in the evenings and would love to see some Pre-PAX tabletop (or TCG/CCG) action in the lobby of the Sheraton.

Should I maybe make a seperate thread about this?

atiari on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    atiari wrote: »
    Ok, here's a odd question. Who is going to be staying at or near the Sheraton and will be around Wednesday night? I'm down for playing any tabletop game, and will even buy things I may need to play something I don't have. I just know I'll be in town super early (2 days in advance) and little to do in the evenings and would love to see some Pre-PAX tabletop (or TCG/CCG) action in the lobby of the Sheraton.

Should I maybe make a seperate thread about this?

I have nothing on my schedule on wednesday evening.

However I havent played a tabletop game in ages, and would most likely nub it up.

If you dont care, Im down for it though.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I'll create a separate thread for something at the Sheraton so we can decide on a game and set a time :)

atiari on
  • Options
    FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LARP game with limited slots now scheduled. I set up a thread just for this HERE.

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Options
    JonHendryJonHendry Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Anyone running one or willing to run one?

JonHendry on
    --
    Jonathan Hendry
    Quincy, MA
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    desdinova wrote: »
    I quit MTG a little after rerevised. If there's a nub area or group, I'd probably be interested in getting caught up. Might as well give my local comic shop some money I don't have for things I don't need! ;D

I am one of those MTG noobs that would love to meet up with other MTG noobs for some casual, non-meta games. I've heard scary things about some Magic players that take this stuff way too seriously and would like to stay away from that kind of play.

Sign me up for "nub group" :)

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone up for an All Flesh Must Be Eaten zombie splatterfest? One of the evenings of the con, going wicked late, though not 'private room' late as I'm not staying on site. (Being a poor desktop monkey who has a perfectly lovely home a couple towns over and all.) I've had this 'theme park zombie massacre' idea percolating in my brain for a while now.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    undead wrote: »
    The original Illuminati game or the Illuminati CCG?

I've got all 3 decks of the original Illuminati game. I'll have it at con.

I'll play the fuck out of some Illuminati. If you try and get the Pentagon first....pray to your gods.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    QueueQueue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I will up for table gaming. I will be driving up, so I can pack up a few games from my collection. It can be viewed here, if anyone is looking to play something specific let me know.

Queue on
  • Options
    Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Queue wrote: »
    I will up for table gaming. I will be driving up, so I can pack up a few games from my collection. It can be viewed here, if anyone is looking to play something specific let me know.

good lord man you have an extensive collection. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person on these forums that has tasted the awsomeness that is Twilight Imperium. I do have the Shattered Empire expansion. I was thinking about bringing my copy with me when I fly in.

Stick32 on
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Did someone mention Twilight Imperium, the bestest and most awesome game ever?

I'm flying in and traveling very light, so I can't bring any of my big stuff, like Dominion, TI, or Runewars. I could probably sneak some Alhambra or Code 777 into my bag though. :D

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chorazin wrote: »

I'll play the fuck out of some Illuminati. If you try and get the Pentagon first....pray to your gods.

Famous last words ^_^

Have you tried Illuminati: Crimelords as well?

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ah sweet, sweet, T.I. That should be a lot of fun.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So any activities planned for Friday or Saturday night?

Friday night is the bar night, so maybe even after that if people are still standing.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RoadBlock wrote: »

I'm flying in and traveling very light, so I can't bring any of my big stuff, like Dominion, TI, or Runewars. I could probably sneak some Alhambra or Code 777 into my bag though. :D

I'm driving up, but I don't know if my copy of TI will be available. I believe it will be mired in a long-term game running at work. It is a beast of a game to carry around as well. I'm sure there would be some funny looks carrying that thing around town.

Queue on
  • Options
    CurseyoukhanCurseyoukhan Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Be nice to the Noob, please ....

I'm a bostonian coming to PaxEast and mostly interested in tabletop gaming (my son is the computer gamer). I was wondering about the tourneys on the schedule. What's the format? would it be helpful if I brought copies of the games? Do the winners get anything in addition to bragging rights? Anything else I should know?

Should I bring other games? I have a bunch -- not as many as most of my friends but enough to intimidate civilians.

All info appreciated.

Tanks.

Curseyoukhan on
  • Options
    AviAviAviAvi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Puerto Rico all the way. I will challenge anyone to that. I cant promise i will win but it will be a great game.

AviAvi on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Famous last words ^_^

Nope... but I think we need to get a card game going.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm looking to play some D&D. Anyone know where I should be looking for info?

Edit: Found it! Thanks.

AsmodeusLore on
  • Options
    Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RoadBlock wrote: »

I'm driving up, but I don't know if my copy of TI will be available. I believe it will be mired in a long-term game running at work. It is a beast of a game to carry around as well. I'm sure there would be some funny looks carrying that thing around town.
    I'm debating on bringing my copy with me. If I do I'll probably leave the box at home and just stuff all the pieces in my backpack and carry it with me. Only thing making me hesitate now is all the stuff/panels/tournaments I want to play in. I'm having a hard time deciding if I'll have time for a good game of TI.

P.S. I've found if you put all the race specific stuff and fleets in separate ziploc baggies setup becomes a breeze

Stick32 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Stick32 wrote: »
    P.S. I've found if you put all the race specific stuff and fleets in separate ziploc baggies setup becomes a breeze

I do craft boxes; races separated by box then types of pieces/cards separated in the comparments. All of the boxes fit into the main box as well.

Queue on
  • Options
    Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    @Lord Jezo: I will be down for staying around to play games after dark. Unfortunately I don't have any games to contribute to it, but I will be an extra body. :D

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    @Lord Jezo: I will be down for staying around to play games after dark. Unfortunately I don't have any games to contribute to it, but I will be an extra body. :D

Has anyone else decided anything yet? I'll be at the LGBT bar night (simply because it seems to be THE party location for Friday night) and after, games?

We need a location and some games. I'll be bringing some but we need a plan.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who all is interested in the tabletop tournaments? My wife and I are seriously considering the Saturday Dominion tournament!

Anyone know who is running the tabletop tournaments? Any idea what the tournament rules will be for the tabletop stuff?

baddman on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I do likes me some Dominion, but a tourney sounds like a lot of time to invest. I would be interested in sitting down for a couple games though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Moe,

I ran a Dominion tourney at PAX Prime - 16 people (4 games of 4 people, using base Dominion), and then a 2nd round (using cards from Dominion + Intrigue) with the winners of each game. All told, it was run and done in about an hour and a half.

I cannot say how FatherFletch and Drain will be handling it at Pax East (sadly, I cannot go) but I can't see any Dominion tourney of 16 people taking any longer than 2 hours at the very most.

Lackey
    PAX Prime Enforcer

Lackey on
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is that who's runnin all the tabletop stuff at PAX East? Or just the Dominion tourneys? Are those their PA Forum handles?

baddman on
  • Options
    Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

Has anyone else decided anything yet? I'll be at the LGBT bar night (simply because it seems to be THE party location for Friday night) and after, games?

We need a location and some games. I'll be bringing some but we need a plan.

That would definitely help. I do have to admit that I don't know most of the games out there so there is an 80% chance that I won't know how to play unfortunately.

Also, would help if anyone was willing to host games, unless we decided to rent out tables in Pandemonium? (I don't know if its just free space or rent only)

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, would help if anyone was willing to host games, unless we decided to rent out tables in Pandemonium? (I don't know if its just free space or rent only)
    Pandemonium Books & Games? It's free gaming space on a first-come, first-served basis; you should call the store about renting if you want to ensure table space.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Frugus wrote: »

Famous last words ^_^

Nope... but I think we need to get a card game going.

Stop by the SJ tables in open gaming. I'll be there most of the convention and will have both versions on hand to play.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok, so transporting my 40k army transatlantically is a non-starter - so how about some Blood Bowl?

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Pandemonium Books & Games? It's free gaming space on a first-come, first-served basis; you should call the store about renting if you want to ensure table space.

Anyone renting a large suite at any of the hotels in that can be used as a base for all night game action?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IMPORTANT UPDATES

WARHAMMER FANTASY & 40K

Warhammer is going to be 1250 points, NOT 2500 points. Sorry for any confusion and please reconsider if you want to enter the tournaments at that point level.

SETTLERS OF CATAN

Mayfair Games will be hosting a World Wide Catan Championship U.S. pre-qualifier tournament at PAX East. The winner of this pre-qualifier shall be seated in the semi-final round conducted at the Origins Game Fair 2010 in Columbus, Ohio. Mayfair Games will provide travel, hotel and attendee badge for Origins. The winner of the Origins Qualifier will represent the U.S. at the World Wide Catan Championships to be held in September 2010 in a Medieval castle in Germany!

The first round of the pre-qualifier begins Saturday morning at PAX East with a semifinal and final on Sunday. The Sunday Semi and Final are invitation only from the Saturday winners. There will be a separate open Sunday tournament. The Saturday tournament will be limited to the first 64 people with sign up opening at 2PM on Friday in TT HQ. Check with Tabletop HQ at PAX for tournament time and sign up.
    The Settlers of Catan tournament will be structured as follows:
    • The seating will be limited to 64 people
    • The first round will consist of 4 games for each individual. The 16 people with the most wins will advance to the semi-final round.
    • The semi-final round, on Sunday morning, will seat the 16 people from the first round. This will be single elimination. 1 winner from each table will advance to the final round.
    • The final round, also played Sunday, will seat 4 people from the semi-final round. The winner will advance to Origins in Columbus, Ohio on June 24-27. They will receive travel, hotel, badge, and a seat in the National semi-finals.

DAYS OF WONDER GAMES

Look for these games being demonstrated during PAX in the Tabletop Freeplay area. The games will be shown and played in two hour blocks for each one. Many will also be in the game library available for checkout. If you miss one, come back to try another time.

Friday - Small World, Mystery Express, Ticket to Ride (2PM -10PM)
    Saturday - Small World, Mystery Express, Ticket to Ride, Memoir '44 (10AM - 8PM)
    Sunday - Small World, Mystery Express, Ticket to Ride, Memoir '44 (10AM - 6PM)

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    Bigtoy_JBigtoy_J Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I attended Gulf Games 25 this weekend. One of the surprises of the convention for me was my introduction to "Deduce or Die!".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19765/deduce-or-die
    http://www.thegamesjournal.com/rules/DeduceOrDie.shtml

I am going to be bringing the tracking sheets and maybe even some custom printed cards to play this game with. Anyone else interested in playing a great deduction game let me know, I plan on playing a few games of this during PAX if there are enough willing participants.

Bigtoy_J on
    Love George Bernard Shaw quotations.

Also, I can count to "boat".
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I'm a bostonian coming to PaxEast and mostly interested in tabletop gaming (my son is the computer gamer). I was wondering about the tourneys on the schedule. What's the format? would it be helpful if I brought copies of the games? Do the winners get anything in addition to bragging rights? Anything else I should know?

Should I bring other games? I have a bunch -- not as many as most of my friends but enough to intimidate civilians.

All info appreciated.

Tanks.
    The tournaments are open to those who sign up in TT HQ. Standard rules (what came in the box) apply and all games are 4 player single elimination for board games, except for RoboRally.
    The minis tournaments are held by the standard rules for that game (Warhammer, Arcane Legions, etc.)
    There is a shiny prize for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners exclusive to PAX East 2010!
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How does the free play area work, exactly? My friend and I plan to bring A Game of Thrones (the board game and the card game), but haven't set any specific meetups. I was thinking of just setting up a sign by the board that says, "Looking for X more players. Willing to teach! 2-3 hours." Is that sufficient or even acceptable?

Zombiewski on
    Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zombiewski wrote: »
    How does the free play area work, exactly? My friend and I plan to bring A Game of Thrones (the board game and the card game), but haven't set any specific meetups. I was thinking of just setting up a sign by the board that says, "Looking for X more players. Willing to teach! 2-3 hours." Is that sufficient or even acceptable?

Freeplay is just like it sounds. The scenario you describe above is just what we like to see. Please feel free to bring games and stake out some space and play to your heart's content.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

All info appreciated.

Tanks.
    The tournaments are open to those who sign up in TT HQ. Standard rules (what came in the box) apply and all games are 4 player single elimination for board games, except for RoboRally.
    The minis tournaments are held by the standard rules for that game (Warhammer, Arcane Legions, etc.)
    There is a shiny prize for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners exclusive to PAX East 2010!
    CFK

when you say TT HQ is that a particular thread (this thread?) or is that a place we go on the day?

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    when you say TT HQ is that a particular thread (this thread?) or is that a place we go on the day?

TT HQ is a room at the Hynes. It is where you can get games to check out.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    DutchverDutchver Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    My friends and I are coming to PAX this year and were disappointing (but not surprised) to hear that the only DnD WotC is going to be offering officially is 4e stuff. Since this is our first time (still not sure how it works) are there going to be any people bringing their own stuff for 3.5e? We have Core Rulebooks, miniatures, tiles, etc, but won't bother bringing it if no one is playing 3.5e.

Thanks

Dutchver on
This discussion has been closed.