As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: If this were your job, you'd be a very rich man.

• Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    I didn't play bad company 1 much, but I'm loving BC2. Rush is where it's at and I cant' wait to try that nighttime map. I woulda bought this for my PC if I had any faith that it could run it at higher settings than the xbox.

Would 2.2ghz dual core, 3 gig ram, gt 8800 512ram vid card have run this alright? It can run Crysis at full settings with a little bit of slowdown here and there. Mostly fine though.

botp'd :(

You should be just fine. My specs:

Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
    4GB DDR2 800 RAM
    8800 GT 512MB

And I run the game very well at all high settings except for shadows which are at medium and no filters.

Edit: Dougly, maybe BC2 is just more forgiving than BF2? It would be weird if he couldn't run BC2 decently especially since Crysis isn't a problem.

Yeah, I don't know. My hardware wasn't the most stable and my mobo was also in the process of dying so it was a time to upgrade, regardless.

The processor difference between you/him might be huge, though. 2.2 -> 3

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Boogdud wrote: »
    The bad one is lower pitched and sounds like a power drill struggling.

And it such sweet sweet music to me. The little bit where you can hear the bit shanking is so delicious.... BOOM. Almost as satisfying as putting the drill to the back of someone's head.

This went from mundane to spectacularly creepy in very short order.

Wait, I mean, "I enjoy serving my teammates by performing superior (albeit somewhat experimental) engineering feats"

Boogdud on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »
    At the start of the round I will wait even if I'm in the ATV. There's bound to be somebody who wants a ride on an ATV!

Damned straight son. You deserve a hug!

Although there's no guarantee I will drive well or get us to the right m-comm.

Just before the West server died I drove myself and someone else through the jungle. It was a lot of fun and I felt just on the edge of control. We passed by a sniper, wheeled around a rock and then got out. Then the lag started and the server died. Lame.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Boogdud wrote: »
    The bad one is lower pitched and sounds like a power drill struggling.

And it such sweet sweet music to me. The little bit where you can hear the bit shanking is so delicious.... BOOM. Almost as satisfying as putting the drill to the back of someone's head.

This went from mundane to spectacularly creepy in very short order.

ANTON_CHIGURH.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    dougly wrote: »
    I didn't play bad company 1 much, but I'm loving BC2. Rush is where it's at and I cant' wait to try that nighttime map. I woulda bought this for my PC if I had any faith that it could run it at higher settings than the xbox.

Would 2.2ghz dual core, 3 gig ram, gt 8800 512ram vid card have run this alright? It can run Crysis at full settings with a little bit of slowdown here and there. Mostly fine though.

botp'd :(

You should be just fine. My specs:

Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
    4GB DDR2 800 RAM
    8800 GT 512MB

And I run the game very well at all high settings except for shadows which are at medium and no filters.

Edit: Dougly, maybe BC2 is just more forgiving than BF2? It would be weird if he couldn't run BC2 decently especially since Crysis isn't a problem.

Yeah, I don't know. My hardware wasn't the most stable and my mobo was also in the process of dying so it was a time to upgrade, regardless.

The processor difference between you/him might be huge, though. 2.2 -> 3

800mhz will probably make a difference but I think he would at least be able to play it at lower settings.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A bunch of dudes said you're all from Columbus (or thereabouts?)

I think we should form an independent squad.

Unless you're Ohio State fans.

Because, you know, fuck you.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    I don't want any of you people on my friends list

That's alright, we don't need anyone holding our teams back anyway :)

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    strategery wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »
    At the start of the round I will wait even if I'm in the ATV. There's bound to be somebody who wants a ride on an ATV!

Damned straight son. You deserve a hug!

unless I'm playing with people I know, I don't even bother with vehicles in the start. Too many idiots. You can climb on the back of someones ATV, but they'll just go balls deep in enemy territory without trying to be sneaky and you die.

Wanna gun on that T-90 there? Idiot driver doesn't realize how much more effective tanks are if they don't try to penetrate the lines and just hang back pounding the enemy with the powerful force of that main cannon(or zoomed in sniper turret).

Want the UAV? Keep trying, there's a line longer than Las Vegas night club at midnight.

It's better to just go on foot, let the retarded geese kill each other, and then sneak around the side for an easy plant or capture. More points and less deaths.

It's all about self control. I KNOW if I get in the driver seat, I'm lucky to go Crazy Taxi all over the damned place. That's why 9 times out of 10? Turret or passenger seat.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is awesome, had some good games last night

I'm worried about the garand though. I was using it as engineer and doing pretty decent, 10+ kills every round and such, but after each match the 'Most Score By' box never displayed the garand, and would usually show a grenade or pistol, even if I got 0 kills with it.

Does this mean you can't get gold star with the garand? What about attachments (acog, etc.)?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I'm from southeast Michigan, but I'd like to join you in extending a hearty fuck you to Ohio State fans.

It's not even a school rivalry thing; I just hate Ohio State. As does my roommate. Who is also from Ohio.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah, can someone help me with the UAV? I can't figure out if I'm supposed to use the left mouse button or the space bar to call in mortar strike (they both seem to work but I'm not sure) and I can't figure out how to use the machine gun which apparently exists.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Xeno idXeno id Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

And to be honest, if you can't keep enemy engineers away from your tank then just gtfo the driver seat. There's a reason DICE changed the top mounted machine gun to remote control, yet it's rarely used in my experience. Which is so friggen stupid when I've racked up more kills gunning in that thing than the driver does with the main cannon.

I typically don't do secondary gunneri n tanks because the people driving them either:

Drive off in the wrong direction
    Drive into a barrier and just sit there
    Drive over obvious mines and C4
    Don't go anywhere near the objective
    Park to far away for the machine gun to even matter
    Don't know how to drive at all
    Doesn't retreat on low armor
    Doesn't pull evasive maneuvers when under fire.

But I do like following them from the tree line and killing recons and engineers gunning for them.

Xeno id on
    f52ff.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think what makes this game for me is the amount of destruction you can do with a small group of friends working together.

Squad respawn is fantastic.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah, can someone help me with the UAV? I can't figure out if I'm supposed to use the left mouse button or the space bar to call in mortar strike (they both seem to work but I'm not sure) and I can't figure out how to use the machine gun which apparently exists.

I know in the beta that the UAV only had the laser-guided missile. The console versions have a machine gun and such, but not sure if that's in the PC version

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I know in the beta that the UAV only had the laser-guided missile. The console versions have a machine gun and such, but not sure if that's in the PC version

What! That sucks!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The machinegun is single-player only, I believe. It never worked in beta on the PC, at least.

The RMB calls in the hellfire strike. When the cursor stops flashing, a new hellfire's ready to go.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't think you can put attachments on the Garand. You couldn't put them on the Thompson in the beta, so it's probably the same deal.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I suspected that, still want gold stars though

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    RigellRigell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

What! That sucks!

One of the unlocks for vehicles is the ALT Fire, having that lets the UAV have a machine gun

Rigell on
    Skobes.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For me, left click is a hellfire missile, and right click is the machine gun, but only if you have the armor weapons upgrade.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Xeno id wrote: »

And to be honest, if you can't keep enemy engineers away from your tank then just gtfo the driver seat. There's a reason DICE changed the top mounted machine gun to remote control, yet it's rarely used in my experience. Which is so friggen stupid when I've racked up more kills gunning in that thing than the driver does with the main cannon.

I typically don't do secondary gunneri n tanks because the people driving them either:

Drive off in the wrong direction
    Drive into a barrier and just sit there
    Drive over obvious mines and C4
    Don't go anywhere near the objective
    Park to far away for the machine gun to even matter
    Don't know how to drive at all
    Doesn't retreat on low armor
    Doesn't pull evasive maneuvers when under fire.

But I do like following them from the tree line and killing recons and engineers gunning for them.

Yea that's always a problem. I usually give tank drivers a chance. Jump in the turret, if they act even the slightest bit like a dribbling idiot then I let them run off and die. No sense in sacrificing myself to save someone who is nothing but cannon fodder anyway.
    It's all about self control. I KNOW if I get in the driver seat, I'm lucky to go Crazy Taxi all over the damned place. That's why 9 times out of 10? Turret or passenger seat.

The only vehicle I don't see people climb into very frequently, or is usually left sitting around for a decent amount of time, is the poor un-loved Bradley. I don't get why people shun that thing, it's a powerhouse if you use it right, especially with the secondary TOWs. It'll go toe to toe with just about anything. Not many people show it love though. Instead they opt for the pile of crap AA tank, and just spew grenades all over the place.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jaunty, even our beta-brah'ness doesn't mean I can't be on your friends list?

I thought we had something special?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Actually, since someone already mentioned the Dr. Pepper codes, what exactly IS the BC2 dr. pepper thing?
    From what I've seen, you basically can get a new camo skin for a class as well as a camo version of a gun that is in the game already. Assault gets the M16A2, Recon the M95, but I forget the rest.

It basically seems like a quick way to get awesome weapons. I think they're also going to be DLC at some point too.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Haha, I'm an alum, but hockey is my sport. So no worries there ;)

Also, should we be putting PA as our clan name for recognition on the server? Because being on the other side (without the PA in the name) really, really sucks.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jaunty, even our beta-brah'ness doesn't mean I can't be on your friends list?

I thought we had something special?

You were supposed to be on my friends list. Be my brah..
    my secret lover :winky:

But you had to let platforms come between us....

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Word. I love the Bradley. As long as you stay away from the better armored tanks, it's amazing.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Actually, since someone already mentioned the Dr. Pepper codes, what exactly IS the BC2 dr. pepper thing?
    From what I've seen, you basically can get a new camo skin for a class as well as a camo version of a gun that is in the game already. Assault gets the M16A2, Recon the M95, but I forget the rest.

It basically seems like a quick way to get awesome weapons. I think they're also going to be DLC at some point too.

Sweet. looks like I'm buyin a few dr. peppers after work.
    Word. I love the Bradley. As long as you stay away from the better armored tanks, it's amazing.

Even against the MBTs you can still win. Use the environment to obscure their view and shot, and pop out for quick bursts from the main gun and a TOW to either the bottom of the tread from the front, the ass end, or the tread on the side, and you can win very very easily. It just takes some out maneuvering. Going head on though is suicide.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whoever said the SCAR was nerfed, I just have to point out that last night I was getting constant 8+ killstreaks with it, until I eventually ran out of ammo.

Those times I was on top of the leaderboard? SCAR.

Edit: The bradley is a lot more nimble than the big tanks, in the beta I would usually drive circles around them, hit them in the back, in their weak weak rear. I did die many times, but that T90 never had more than 20HP left after those runs.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only vehicle I don't see people climb into very frequently, or is usually left sitting around for a decent amount of time, is the poor un-loved Bradley. I don't get why people shun that thing, it's a powerhouse if you use it right, especially with the secondary TOWs. It'll go toe to toe with just about anything. Not many people show it love though. Instead they opt for the pile of crap AA tank, and just spew grenades all over the place.

wut.

Bradley is king. Especially over that poser Russian BDM3.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Sweet. looks like I'm buyin a few dr. peppers after work.

Even against the MBTs you can still win. Use the environment to obscure their view and shot, and pop out for quick bursts from the main gun and a TOW to either the bottom of the tread from the front, the ass end, or the tread on the side, and you can win very very easily. It just takes some out maneuvering. Going head on though is suicide.
    Make sure you get bottles marked for this promotion. I'm pretty sure cans aren't part of it.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

wut.

I know right!! But every game I've played I always see that thing just sitting around until someone goes "oh fuck they're knocking on our front door, guess we outta use this shit." I fucking LOVE the bradley. I got the highest kill streak I ever achieved in the demo with it(42). Yet it sits around collecting dust and cob webs, while the AA tank gets jumped into immediately, and everyone fights over the tanks and UAV.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

wut.

The BDM3 is pretty good when it's not the shitty anti-air variant.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

wut.

I don't get the BMD3 at all.

Okay, the grenades are decent, but the thing has a gargantuan blind spot and the secondary gunner position A) isn't protected at all, and B) sucks at everything.

At least the bradley's turret is good for mowing down infantry.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

What! That sucks!

Hmm, I was tearing stuff up with the UAV on the 360 last night, and all I could access was the laser-guided missiles. I didn't have any machine gun action available at all.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Xeno idXeno id Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My fave thing to do is the UAV, I know it sounds cliche already but a good UAV driver can mean the difference between win/lose.

A good example is simply hovering over the enemy base pestering them or blowing up their cover waiting for someone to arm the create. A good, game changing UAV driver then slides in and owns anyone who comes to disarm it.

Most frustrating moment?

Watching 5-6 people camping the Heli just to have the biggest drooling moron get in the drivers seat and watching their drool strings get caught in the rooter as the Heli gets just enough altitude to make it crash when it lands about 20 feet away.

Although the death of the driver via suicide/epic fail is satisfying.

Also, is it me or are the boats freaking useless? I mean, I guess they are good transportation but I have never been like, "Oh shit a BOAT!!".

Xeno id on
    f52ff.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Xeno id wrote: »
    My fave thing to do is the UAV, I know it sounds cliche already but a good UAV driver can mean the difference between win/lose.

A good example is simply hovering over the enemy base pestering them or blowing up their cover waiting for someone to arm the create. A good, game changing UAV driver then slides in and owns anyone who comes to disarm it.

Most frustrating moment?

Watching 5-6 people camping the Heli just to have the biggest drooling moron get in the drivers seat and watching their drool strings get caught in the rooter as the Heli gets just enough altitude to make it crash when it lands about 20 feet away.

Although the death of the driver via suicide/epic fail is satisfying.

Also, is it me or are the boats freaking useless? I mean, I guess they are good transportation but I have been like, "Oh shit a BOAT!!".

The best is hover waaaayyyy up above the enemy helipad, and hellfire'ing the apache as it spawns. Pisses the other team off sooooo badly.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You need to have the advanced weapon upgrade or whatever it is called for vehicles equipped to use the MG on the UAV. I've used it numerous times in the past day.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On maps with the Bradley and the BMD3 (Non AA variant) I've usually seen the BMD3 come out victorious in 1 to 1 encounters.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, did they nerf the hills?

IE the climbing up ridiculous slopes on the Beta map?

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ATTN RECONS: You have more tools at your disposal than that fucking sniper rifle, USE THEM!

Anybody else try squad deathmatch yet? I found it to be fun despite having a fucking awful team. 4 squads seems a little overkill though, I had the most fun when there were only 3 squads in the match.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.