As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blur] Call of Burnout2: Modern Mario Kart - Out Now!

ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
BLUR_logo_RENDERED_color-300x183.jpg

About Blur:
Blur is an upcoming arcade racing video game developed by Bizarre Creations and published by Activision. It features a racing style that incorporates real world cars and locales with arcade style handling and vehicular combat.
From Wikipedia

Power-ups Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMt4IdZji9g

Here is a short write-up of what all the powers do. Thanks to Cantido!
Shunt - Red Shell, but slower and more obvious. Just about any weapon will kill it. You can shoot it in reverse, in which it will move straight backward and not lock on to anything.

Mine - Wipeout Mine (or Mario Kart Banana). Put behind you by default. Fire it forward to launch it straight ahead about a hundred meters in front of you. It causes cars to spin out, and is not as potent as the Shunt.

Nitro - This is your boost. Fire it normally for a quick burst of speed. Fire it backward for the Air Brake. The Air Brake stops your car immediately, and gives you about a second to turn as hard as you like before a boost occurs like normal. Use this to ram cars behind you while tearing through tight corners.

Barge - There is no cousin for it. It's a melee shockwave around you that knocks away cars.

Shock - Blue Shell. Creates three massive pillars of electricity in front of the lead car. Cars who see them must weave through them in a tight zig zag pattern.

Bolt - Wipeout machine gun. You only get three bullets. Fire them individually or all at once (called a Full Bolt.) It causes cars to take damage and jink left or right hard, depending on how many hits happen. It requires TWO bolts to stop a Shunt.

Shield - Wipeout Shield. By default, it will protect you from any power ups or ramming. It can also help you glide across corners.

Repair - Repairs you fully. You can't die in a race, it just stops you from losing time to being Wrecked.

Four Player Splitscreen!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeGx1Iic1Ds
Quoted from a resent Gamespot article about multiplayer progression:
The game employs a rank-based system, which is similar to that of such shooters as Modern Warfare and Gears of War. Competing in events earns you fans, and the more fans you get, the higher your rank, which, in turn, unlocks new game modes, cars, or mods. Mods allow you to change how your car deals with things, such as power-ups or damage. They are organised into three distinct types: aggressive, defensive, and show-off. You can choose three mods for each race and pick from each category. You can also save your favourite combinations of mods in custom categories, allowing you to easily switch between them for different races and cars. Some of the mods available include battering ram, where your car deals more damage in collisions; splash damage, which increases the range of the barge power-up; and fan favourite, which gains you extra fans for finishing a race. Not all mods are unlocked from the start of the game, and in some cases, you'll have to rank up all the way up to level 50 to get a hold of the best ones.

Here is a list of Xbox PA Gamertags, If you wish to have yours added to the list, just post it in yellow. To get the color type [Co lor="Yellow"] Your GT [/Color] Without the space in the middle of the first Color.
Forumname:GT(in yellow)
Ultimakay : Ultimak
DarkeWolfe : Digitalwolfe
viciousdogatak : viciousdogatak
GuruMeditation : VodkaSurprise
Gihgehls : The Hellphish
Vic Tokai : Vic Tokai
mere_immortal : lego pencil
Leadfoot5 : Leadfoot5
hatedinamerica : Captain Dino
Polaris314 : Polaris314
PaperLuigi44 : PaperLuigi44
Cantido : Cantido
Figgy : Figment3
JesusFTL : JesusFTL

hLeTR.png
ultimakay on

• SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i wish they were making PGR 5 instead :(

Sam on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    We'll see...last single word titled racing game I bought into the hype for was Fuel and that was absolutely terrible.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Saw the GiantBomb QL of this, looked kinda cool.

Grabbed a key, why not?

e: Seems like their site is getting raped by a herd of bears.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looks like Mario Kart.

tofu on
    edited March 2010
    It's like Mario Kart, if Mario drove an Audi and never showed his face.

pardzh on

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pardzh wrote: »

Which is why I love the concept. There seems to be a trend in racing games to move towards simulation, which I dislike. I'm also excited about Split/Second which comes out like 4 days before Blur.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Technically the Beta's started already. You just have to have been paying attention on Fileplanet. (It was their "Secret 360 Beta Event for Subscribers" thing they ran for a few days.) Assuming this "new wave of keys for everyone" are the ones that don't start until the 8'th.

Got to play it for about a hour or two yesterday, it's quite fun. :mrgreen: Hopefully they won't reset our Fans for the new wave of people that are joining.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited March 2010
    Can Fileplanet subscribers still get the key that allows them to play now? The new wave of Fileplanet keys for everyone says the beta starts on the 8th. Sometimes I wish I was a subscriber to fileplanet, but I only seem to go there to get into betas.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We'll see...last single word titled racing game I bought into the hype for was Fuel and that was absolutely terrible.

grid was awesome

Sam on
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rumor has it that keys are multiple use. Having trouble registering on main site, it says my email is already used but "password recovery" says it doesn't exist.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    i wish they were making PGR 5 instead :(

Same.

Also, we get betas for racing games now?! o_O

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This one does seem to be a largely multiplayer game.

Nimble Cat on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ultimakay wrote: »
    pardzh wrote: »

Which is why I love the concept. There seems to be a trend in racing games to move towards simulation, which I dislike. I'm also excited about Split/Second which comes out like 4 days before Blur.
    I agree. The concept looks awesome. Also, I hate realistic driving games. They bore the crap out of me. If I want realistic, I'll just go drive my car. I'm glad bizarre took this route with a racing game, rather than just making PGR5. I got my key, and I'm ready to try this out. It looks awesome.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited March 2010
    You can actually download and play the beta already. Tried it a few hours yesterday and it was pretty awesome. First few ranks/levels you only have the beginner car(s) (high handling, low speed) but after a few levels you can use a car with "advanced"-handling which indeed has alot of speed and drifting potential.

Power-ups do indeed ad to races, mining the best line through a curve never gets old.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    You can actually download and play the beta already. Tried it a few hours yesterday and it was pretty awesome. First few ranks/levels you only have the beginner car(s) (high handling, low speed) but after a few levels you can use a car with "advanced"-handling which indeed has alot of speed and drifting potential.

Power-ups do indeed ad to races, mining the best line through a curve never gets old.

So...you gonna fill us in on how?

Allforce on
    edited March 2010
    Register and get your download-token?
    I had technical problems so support redeemed it for me and gave me the code for download (no 48h gold trial but who cares). Where about 35 people on (europe region) so some have managed to download it.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone else care about this game? It's on like the fifth page. :(

Anyway, anyone know if we'll get download tokens by midnight? I was hoping to play tonight.

anoffday on
    edited March 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Does anyone else care about this game? It's on like the fifth page. :(

Anyway, anyone know if we'll get download tokens by midnight? I was hoping to play tonight.

Its possible, I'm hoping I get the code early in the morning so I can play it before work.

@Jelloblimp: Are you a fileplanet subscriber? Because Fileplanet was giving away codes to subs that let them start a week early.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Lithium SpadeLithium Spade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm kinda interested. Wondering exactly when on March 8th they're gonna email me the code or whatever tho, because I live in the UK and it's already March 8th here and no sign.

Still, I have Bad Company 2 to keep me happily occupied and nothing to do til 4pm so i'm sure i'll cope.

Lithium Spade on
    LithiumSpade.png
    edited March 2010
    I still have not received a code as well, but right now it doesn't matter. I borrowed a friends Xbox while mine is in for repairs(RROD), and he came back for spring break 4 days ago. He asked me if I still needed it, and I totally forgot about the beta and told him he could have it back. I guess that shows how little I use my 360 compared to my PS3 when I don't realize its gone. Now to try and get him to lend it to me again after he finishes bioshock 2.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just got the beta key. Also, there's a 2 day trial for Gold included. I don't need it, so here it is for anyone that could use it.
    CQK2D-K9VT6-T834M-VHH74-M93DM

Turkey on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Got my code, downloading now.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Got code and downloaded.

"Authenticate to twitter" wtf?

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2010
    Woot, downloading this meow.

Hopefully it'll be done by the time I'm back from the library, but my connection sucks. D:

pardzh on

edited March 2010
    Here is my 2-day gold trial as well for anyone to use.
    BWF2H-BFFKY-K6YXX-CT9G9-KMGPD

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
    edited March 2010
    Okay, after playing this a bit, I really like it. Turned out better than I thought it would be, honestly.

I still find it amusing that we're playing a game in 2010 based off a game from 1992. I still think of the powerups in terms of "oh, that's the mushroom", "green shells", "banana peel", etc :P

Drifting is kind of weird to figure out though.. it's like they couldn't decide if it was going to be arcadey or sim in that respect.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2010
    It's much better than I thought it was going to be. I had a really good time, but it's hard to get into matches without getting disconnected.

Nimble Cat on
    edited March 2010
    My problem is I always seem to be matched into races-in-progress.

Like, ones that just started.

So I have to consider either waiting 3 minutes for it to end or backing out and hoping for one that's in the countdown.

FyreWulff on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    At the announcement of Blur @ E3, it seems INTERESTING. But videos and screenshots, I was not impressed. Then it was delayed, didn't care.

Saw coverage on Giant Bomb and was amazed and what months of changes have done!

I got a key from GB and played some today, the game is INTENSE

Hawk on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the videos I saw before made the game look slow and clunky. It definitely is not.

Nimble Cat on
    edited March 2010
    It may just be the fact that I haven't played a racing game in a few years at least, but...

This game is a blast. I can definitely see myself buying it.

pardzh on

edited March 2010
    I just finished playing for a couple hours. It's a lot of fun. I was playing the smaller races at first, but then switched over to the 20 car races, and those can get pretty intense. Awesome game. I might have to pick this one up when it comes out.

anoffday on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Okay, after playing this a bit, I really like it. Turned out better than I thought it would be, honestly.

I still find it amusing that we're playing a game in 2010 based off a game from 1992. I still think of the powerups in terms of "oh, that's the mushroom", "green shells", "banana peel", etc :P

Drifting is kind of weird to figure out though.. it's like they couldn't decide if it was going to be arcadey or sim in that respect.

Drifting seems like they decidedto go with the taptap method which is weird cause if this had burnouts drift it would be WAY WAY more intense, I'm saying its ok but tighten up the balance issues first cause i was playing a level 9 first match and it gave him a massive advantage, not like oh he has a faster car just more choice....also I'd like to see how split/second stacks up first.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    edited March 2010
    I just played this for about an hour and a half with a friend. I do agree about the long waits to get into a match, but it seems like the system encourages you to stay in one lobby with the same racers. This is why the matchmaking puts people into races in progress, so that the next race and subsequent ones will be full. The game plays almost exactly how I thought it would, but I still have a hard time drifting. Does anyone know what the highest rank that can be achieved in the beta is? Highest I've seen is 10.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
    edited March 2010
    Ten is the max I've seen.

pardzh on

edited March 2010
    - stream over -

FyreWulff on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Angel177 wrote: »

Drifting seems like they decidedto go with the taptap method which is weird cause if this had burnouts drift it would be WAY WAY more intense.

Nooooo this is what I was dreading D: Burnout drifts are freaking sick and I was so hoping this would be Burnout with Power-ups

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Also playing a match right now with 15 people, so I think the full 20 is possible

FyreWulff on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The racing in Burnout is a lot more fun.

The power ups are neat though.

tofu on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Angel177 wrote: »

Drifting seems like they decidedto go with the taptap method which is weird cause if this had burnouts drift it would be WAY WAY more intense.

Nooooo this is what I was dreading D: Burnout drifts are freaking sick and I was so hoping this would be Burnout with Power-ups

It's Mario Kart mixed with PGR with a dash of Wipeout.

I've done a 20 car race (only one, though, one of the people left and we never got the slot filled). Shit be ridiculous, also fun.

I also love how quick and smoothly the matchmaking works. If you find a lobby you like, congrats, you get to keep em until you get tired of them.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky