As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East forum badges

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
***UPDATE: THE BADGES HAVE NOW BEEN PRINTED THANKS TO CONSIDERABLE INTEREST FROM FORUM MEMBERS!***

In order to collect them you will need to go to the BYOC (Bring Your Own Computer) desk on level 3, opposite the upper deck area of the Main Theatre. You not need to be registered to be part of BYOC in order to get a badge!

Other distribution methods have yet to be fully confirmed, but they are likely to be the Pre PAX gaming event at Sheraton as well as the Pre PAX Dinner.

Note that in order to get a badge you will have to answer ONE of the following questions correctly:
1) Name an unofficial PAX East community event:

* PAX East Train Alliance
* Magical Mystery Tour East
* PAX Pokecrawl - Bar Crawl
* Pre-PAX Movie: Clash of the Titans
* Pre-PAX Gaming at the Sheraton
* Pre-PAX Dinner
* Pre-PAX Dim Sum
* GLBT Friendly Meetup
* Joystiq Breakfast
* PAX Hockey Game: Bruins/Flames
* Rocky Horror Picture Show
* PAX East Assassins
* PAX Trading Cards
* Mafia Wars
* Cookie Brigade
* PAX East Costumes

2) Who made the Forum Badges?

Kropotkin [Pr: KRO-POT-KIN]

3) Do Gabe and Tycho read the PAX forums?

No

4) Name the primary forum admin

Moe Fwacky

5) What colour scheme are the forums in?

Blue with white text.

6) What does the 'ETA' stand for?

PAX East Train Alliance

7) Why do key forum threads have the word [Prime] as a prefix in their titles?

They are threads that relate to PAX'10 in Seattle as opposed to PAX East in Boston.

8) There is a group of PAX attendees that sell crunchy and sweet foodstuffs for the Childsplay charity during the event. What is this group called?

The Cookie (& Biscuit) Brigade

9) How many names are printed on the back of the PAX East Forum Badge?

10) According to the forums, it is a general rule that PAX is most definately not, under any cirumstances a BLANK service. What is the 'blank'?

Dating

The A6 size badges currently look like this:

FRONT
PAX_East_Front_Version_1.jpg

BACK
PAX_East_Forum_Badge_Back_Final.jpg

The rest of this post is as was when I first broached the idea to have them.

Last year I made over 250 badges that were handed out to members of the PA Forums. They were designed specifically for us so that when we saw anyone wondering around PAX and saw this very unique looking badge, they'd spot a fellow forum member from afar. Here's a pick of last year's pile:
Printed_Badges.jpg

And here's a blow up of the front and back of them:

Front
PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_v6_1.jpg

Back
PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_back_v5.jpg

Out of the 250 made, well over 150 were not collected. This has given me pause to make them for PAX East.So before printing out a bunch of new badges, I thought I'd come to you, the PA forum members and ask you two questions;

1) Did you like the forum badges from last year and did they help you in anyway finding each other?

2) How can we improve their distribution?

I would love to have them at Will Call where people come to collect their expo badges, but i fear the PAX organisers won't take kindly to that. If there is any way you can convince me that we can get these badges into the hands of people who want and need them, I'll do a batch for PAX East.

Just as a reminder, here's the thread from last year: PAX 09 Badge Holder Thread

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1) I wasnt there
    2) No idea
    3) I want one.

ZeroHourHero on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wasn't at PAX Prime last year, but man, I want one of these.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since those badges only mention the PAX forums and not what PAX they were ditributed at, I think you should bring those 150 and make a few more if you like.

I will use my badge from the last PAX.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can distribute them again if you want :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Since those badges only mention the PAX forums and not what PAX they were ditributed at, I think you should bring those 150 and make a few more if you like.

No, they mention PAX 09 as a ghost image behind them sadly. They also need to be Red, in keeping with the PAX East colouring.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd take one and wear it proudly! You tell us how to pick them up and I'll be first in line ;)

atiari on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like the badges and would definitely wear one each year. I think giving Big Red a stash of them is one of the best ways for distribution, because everybody can easily find him. We may be able to give Moe some for distribution on the train as well, but whatever works.

250 may easily be a bit too much for PAX EAST though.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd happily wear one with pride...those look awesome!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
    edited March 2010
    I think the problem is last year there was TONS of interest but people just forgot to come pick one up cause they got busy. Which is easy to do at pax.

BigRed on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    kropotkin wrote: »
    mentok1982 wrote: »

No, they mention PAX 09 as a ghost image behind them sadly. They also need to be Red, in keeping with the PAX East colouring.

Well I guess that shows how observant I am.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    I think the problem is last year there was TONS of interest but people just forgot to come pick one up cause they got busy. Which is easy to do at pax.

In that case, I vote for giving some to BigRed, especially since I'll already be at BYOC :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know I can pick one up, since Im in BYOC which means BR will be in the general area.

ZeroHourHero on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seems like a cool idea to me. I wasn't at PAX last year otherwise I most likely would've utilized this.

Rdr on
  • Z3r0TZ3r0T Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1. I didn't hear about these last year (I wasn't as big on the forums as I am now
    2. Put them on someone else's table who is willing and tell us where it is so we can get them maybe?
    3. I definitely want one of these, please make some and give me one :)

Z3r0T on
  • IceHawk79IceHawk79 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    1-I didnt know about this last year.
    2-Doesnt matter to me. I have a PO Box, you can mail me mine if you want. :)
    3-Id love to have one. I dont know anyone on the forums, but still would be pretty cool to have.

IceHawk79 on
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1) Did you like the forum badges from last year and did they help you in anyway finding each other?

1) While I can't say I socialized with folks based solely on seeing them wearing the badge, I did sport mine the entire time and I liked it. I also attended a few pre- and post-pax events with many people wearing the badge.

2) I think it was just a simple case of over-estimation. I think the best way would be to give them to one or two chief people that will be travelling the popular routes and letting everyone pick them up.

I dunno if you printed extras last time on purpose, but maybe this time take a head count in the thread and stick to just that number, assuming some people will forget. After all, the badge is meant to be a symbol of the ones who actually visit the forums, right? :P

In either case, thanks for last year's effort, and again for east if you do end up doing it. I think my friend was the one who offered to get lanyards for you last year. I can talk to her and see if she can do it again for east.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looks great. I'd suggest starting distribution at the barcrawl/dinner because there's a good chance that if you're there, you learned of it via the forums and are interested in receiving one.

burnttoast45 on
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1) I'd be interested.
    2) I second the idea of distributing them at the pre-Pax dinner and PokeCrawl

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm down.

MagnifiedX on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looks cool, I'd be interested.

Don't think I'll be at the Crawl or Dinner, but I could track Red down at BYOC for one.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Great idea, I want one, sign me up!

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
    edited March 2010

1) While I can't say I socialized with folks based solely on seeing them wearing the badge, I did sport mine the entire time and I liked it. I also attended a few pre- and post-pax events with many people wearing the badge.

2) I think it was just a simple case of over-estimation. I think the best way would be to give them to one or two chief people that will be travelling the popular routes and letting everyone pick them up.

I dunno if you printed extras last time on purpose, but maybe this time take a head count in the thread and stick to just that number, assuming some people will forget. After all, the badge is meant to be a symbol of the ones who actually visit the forums, right? :P

In either case, thanks for last year's effort, and again for east if you do end up doing it. I think my friend was the one who offered to get lanyards for you last year. I can talk to her and see if she can do it again for east.

last years thread *was* a headcount :P lots of people just didnt claim them, got too caught up with PAX.

BigRed on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm down for wearing one again at East. It was extremely helpful in many ways at Prime. I used the clear holder to stow stickers and business cards as well as the forum badge.

If you do these again, put me down for one. Not really sure how to promote distribution though.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah! Those look awesome! </nerd>
    Sign me up :)

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love mine. I still have it.

It's useful and helps me tell the even cooler forum kids from the cool regular kids.

If you do them again, kropotkin, remind me to meet you personally and buy you a beer. I have my forum badges from 2008 and 2009. They, and you, are awesome.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    last years thread *was* a headcount :P lots of people just didnt claim them, got too caught up with PAX.

Bummer. Not sure there's an easier way to distribute them, short of PMing your address and paypal'ing a couple bucks for mailing it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind doing that if it helps secure a badge for me and helps Kropotkin recoup some of the cost.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mine is hanging on my wall with the rest of my lanyard. I'd love to get another. Though, oddly enough the only time I saw other forum nerds was on the MMT.

Drakmathus on
  • GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wasn't at the last PAX, but if you're taking a headcount, I'd love to get one.

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well we have 2 pages of posts already, so it looks like we're on for PAX East Forum badges! Due to the lack of time, I can't mail them out to people as being the UK, the post will take for ever. This means they will only be available from BYOC registration desk. I'll consider also some place else to distribute them, but for now I'll go with BigRed.

New design coming up later this evening, hopefully.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited March 2010
    YTMND, Kropotkin! Can't wait to see the new design.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll be in for a badge!

Not making it to the exciting day before events as I wont be showing up until Friday, will pick it up wherever you want me to though.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is my first PAX; I would love to get one....SIGN ME UP PLEASE!

As for distribution, if you're going to the pre-PAX dinner on thursday, that would be even better! I'm going to that and will be more than glad to pick up mine there!

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds sweet, so we just have to show up at the BYOC desk to get one?

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • donth8dredonth8dre Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Although i am new here. I would love a badge like that. I think its awesome that you made these last year.

donth8dre on
    edited March 2010
    I can distribute some out to willing takers at the PrePax Dinner and PokeCrawl.

Rdr on
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1) I wasnt there
    2) No idea
    3) I want one.

+1

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Ghostbusters of NHGhostbusters of NH Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AM I too late to grab one of these?

Ghostbusters of NH on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I still have mine from PAX '08, and cherish it. I'd love another one for this PAX as well, and I can distribute some if you'd like, as i'm on the MMT, PPD and PBC!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In for one!

ikelewis on
    edited March 2010
    AM I too late to grab one of these?

No. It just looks like we're showing that we all are interested and a few of us will pass them out during community events and some will be available at BYOC.

Rdr on
This discussion has been closed.